Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Necrothatcher posted:

lol at the website for Tory candidate in Reading Easts Craig Morley

https://www.craigmorley.uk/campaigns/climate-change

it can be both wealth redistribution AND science mate.

a movement that welcomes cops landlords and airport owning billionaires probably isnt fussed about wealth distribution tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ToryStory

Some harrowing poo poo but a great idea, any Twitterers should make sure that lot gets retweeted and kept alive.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Lib Dem thing is because the Liberal peer Lord Beveridge was commissioned to investigate transformational social change, which led to the Beveridge Report. This happened during the war coalition and Labour pushed during the war for the report to be implemented, but Churchill felt it was a waste of time. It was the architect of his 'surprise' defeat in 1945, because Labour had been talking about it to voters for years during the war and it had grassroots support.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Very motivated to vote Tory by this video of Alexander Jòris dePfeffermint Bonestorm walking extremely slowly through his house

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1192366103827230723?s=19

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Huh - Dulwich and West Norwood is my constituency and a very solid Labour seat. Not sure what they hope to achieve here - guess it's a sop to the Greens in exchange for letting the lib dems run unopposed in more marginal constituencies.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

++ Facebook Sinecure For User Clegg ++

I really appreciated this, loser Guavanaut :golfclap:

Only the Lib Dems can beat this Idiot King!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1192385171141644290?s=19

Not sure if this will make a big difference in any of these seats tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very motivated to vote Tory by this video of Alexander Jòris dePfeffermint Bonestorm walking extremely slowly through his house

Not the best sign when you can't even get your own staffers to agree to the use of their image in your promo video :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ToryStory

Some harrowing poo poo but a great idea, any Twitterers should make sure that lot gets retweeted and kept alive.
https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/1191732498423828481/

I'm the Lib Dem who read that awful experience and thought the most important thing was to correct the perfectly legitimate Oxford spelling to Cambridge spelling.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Not the best sign when you can't even get your own staffers to agree to the use of their image in your promo video :v:

Most of the comments also focusing on the optics of a video where the PM is depicted with his back to the viewer, leaving No.10...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This Six Million Dollar Man reboot is shite.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Parliamentary Green Party sell out all values, shock... horror!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Maugrim posted:

Huh - Dulwich and West Norwood is my constituency and a very solid Labour seat. Not sure what they hope to achieve here - guess it's a sop to the Greens in exchange for letting the lib dems run unopposed in more marginal constituencies.

Hey constituency buddy! Helen Hayes should have it locked up as she's an arch remainer and as far as I can tell good egg

26,886 Green voters now up for grabs, 37,410 LD voters (23,439 in Green targets) Someone else has already done the maths

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/1191732498423828481/

I'm the Lib Dem who read that awful experience and thought the most important thing was to correct the perfectly legitimate Oxford spelling to Cambridge spelling.

I'm the gammon that says Labour will make the homelessness problem worse by bringing in more cheap labour from abroad

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
when I see the ToryStory stuff I get so incredibly angry to the point where I want to do things that would land me in prison.

I cannot, just cannot, understand the kind of living being that would allow a system to let that happen to humans. I cannot put into proper words the level of negativity that builds inside of me. It renders me inert.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

I'm the gammon that says Labour will make the homelessness problem worse by bringing in more cheap labour from abroad
Labour's fully costed housing policy of "we will bring in people from overseas to sleep outside the vacant investment properties of the rich."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

marina hyde sucks so much lol what a tory

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lib Dems standing down in Stroud, probably going to help the Tories more than the Greens. Fucks sake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

when I see the ToryStory stuff I get so incredibly angry to the point where I want to do things that would land me in prison.

I cannot, just cannot, understand the kind of living being that would allow a system to let that happen to humans. I cannot put into proper words the level of negativity that builds inside of me. It renders me inert.

I think most people don't really think about it that much, they don't view the world as an assmblage of changeable, human constructed systems, they just view it as the way things are. They don't consider that decades of top down control by a particular group of malicious assholes (if they even believe the people in charge could possibly be malicious assholes) can reshape the entire fabric of society.

The view of society as a thing that can change, and can be consciously changed by a lot of people getting together and deciding it should be different, and that this change can be good or bad, doesn't seem to enter into a lot of people's heads.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Bundy posted:

Given this might have had some degree of truth in the Blair years, it shows the degree to which a lot of people are incapable of understanding a party might have changed from their previous ideas about them.

Unskilled immigration does suppress wages at the unskilled end of the job market and increase competition, but the easiest way to combat this is to raise the minimum wage, protect workers with a robust social security system, and make education and training easy and cheap to access (all part of current Labour policy) not to block immigration altogether. At the skilled end of the job market immigration has no impact on wages or competition and is probably positive for the economy.

You could probably adapt that argument to work on the doorstep.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This Green/Lib Dem "electoral alliance" is a nice bonus for the Greens - they get to not run in various seats where they would probably lose their deposit while technically not losing any face by doing so.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel like he wanted this to be set to Clubbed to Death. (in anticipation of his new benefits policy)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anyone feel like everyone has collectively decided that Labour is the next government? Even the Lib Dems, they're just responding to it incredibly badly.

Something weird has happened and a lot of societal influencers seem to have decided that the Tory party is unsellable. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the fires have grown too large to conceal behind Mission Accomplished banners?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FT's economics editor says Javid's announced plans this morning are basically Labour's but shitter.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
You're so conditioned to 'Jeremy Corbyn: Britain's Hitler?' etc. that even quasi-balanced coverage feels like the entire media is collectively belting out the red flag.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Why are they doing this? What's their end game? Dismissing Jewish Labour groups as 'fringe organisations' set up to deny antisemitism sounds like deliberate wedge driving within the Jewish community more than a genuine address to the JCs gentile readership.

You're from the UK, you should be able to understand secretarianism. They don't give a poo poo about other Jews just like the orangemen don't give a poo poo about other Christians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

You're from the UK, you should be able to understand secretarianism.

Is that like, secretaries fighting each other? Hate crimes done very quietly?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol that edition of the JC that has "non Jews, please don't vote for UK Hitler, he scares every Jew" on the front page has

quote:

Rabbi Herschel Gluck, Shomrim president, explains:
“... there has been a large segment of our community who vote Labour because it is a natural home - I don’t think that will change.”
buried inside. It's almost as if Labour is a mass movement party and not a cult of personality like Tim Henman's Virtua Tennis.

Purple Prince posted:

Given this might have had some degree of truth in the Blair years, it shows the degree to which a lot of people are incapable of understanding a party might have changed from their previous ideas about them.

Unskilled immigration does suppress wages at the unskilled end of the job market and increase competition, but the easiest way to combat this is to raise the minimum wage, protect workers with a robust social security system, and make education and training easy and cheap to access (all part of current Labour policy) not to block immigration altogether. At the skilled end of the job market immigration has no impact on wages or competition and is probably positive for the economy.

You could probably adapt that argument to work on the doorstep.
Yeah, there's two arguments against free movement. One is "they're foreign and/or coloured and dilute are national fabric", which is the racist (or at least ethno-nationalist, which is racism by appeal to bad philosophy) one. The other is that by having a pool of labour that can be turned on and off like a tap, and having this pool of labour have limited trade union rights and no voting rights, you can suppress labour for the interests of capital (the Marxist one). One of these is correct and suggests that the solution is that the flow of migration be balanced with increased trade union power and extending the franchise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Bullying a Jew for their spelling, typical Corbynite.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bundy posted:

Dr Bundy prescribes that everyone injects this directly into their veins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhJuhSGOMrg

Should have edited this so when Emily goes "The nasty party are back aren't they?" it cuts off right after he says "Absolutely!"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Doccykins posted:

Hey constituency buddy! Helen Hayes should have it locked up as she's an arch remainer and as far as I can tell good egg

26,886 Green voters now up for grabs, 37,410 LD voters (23,439 in Green targets) Someone else has already done the maths

Oh cool, I thought I was the only goon in this village. Do you attend clp stuff? I went to the big meeting to vote on whether to do full reselection (ended up chatting to a retired doctor - a proper comrade and Momentum activist who fled Portugal during the dictatorship) but otherwise I've never gone. Keep telling myself I should.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm a Strategic Studies postgraduate degree holder and I know you're joking here but this post has made me so angry all my teeth exploded

:confused: I wasn't joking.

Car park? :)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Jacjax60/status/1192363304343293952

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Braggart posted:

I've never done strategic studies but I read a chess book once so I'm with Ms A

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maugrim posted:

I've never done strategic studies but I read a chess book once so I'm with Ms A

Knight to F6

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

As a secretary I find this offensive. We don't fight, we send emails that start with "as per my last email on this subject.."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

yyeeeesssssssss

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

sebzilla posted:

Lib Dems standing down in Stroud, probably going to help the Tories more than the Greens. Fucks sake.

Not necessarily.

To my mind if you were thinking of voting LD because of "Revoke, Swindon and other policies TBD" but they're no longer an option, your vote is just as likely to switch Labour as go Tory. They can't control where people land.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

Tactics is getting your opponent into the corner of the car park. Strategy is picking a car park without a railing.

Tesseraction posted:

Knight to F6
:catholic: to :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

As a secretary I find this offensive. We don't fight, we send emails that start with "as per my last email on this subject.."

It is pretty funny how low-key "you loving piece of poo poo you moron gently caress you" that line always is.