Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Sorry, I was thinking about the current Ms. Marvel. The one in the game, since she'll be the second hero pack, coming after Captain America and notably before Thor.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/10/8/metamorphosis/

Regarding Captain Marvel, I think thematically Nick Fury makes the most sense thematically - he's the one who's everywhere with the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm looking forward to Thor. Every other hero released or announced has a pretty clear alter-ego, but Thor is usually just Thor. I think in some older comics, he is a doctor or something, but that was mostly abandoned recently, based on my limited knowledge of Marvel. Most modern Thor I've read or seen is just him flying around, and his past is only important when convenient for whatever narrative. He's not like Peter Parker or Tony Stark where their alter-ego is vital to their character. Maybe his alterego has something to do with Asgard? It'll be neat to see what they do with it. It'll be the same way when they inevitably go galactic and put out the Guardians of the Universe and Silver Surfer. None of those characters have clear alter-egos, but they are popular so they have to be coming at some point.

He isn't announced, but Im looking forward to Hulk. Bruce Banner doesn't have much control over when he becomes Hulk, so it'll be interesting to see how they translate that.

In any case, with such a varied pool of source material, I imagine they have all sorts of cool stuff in the pipeline.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Make Thor's alter-ego Female Thor

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm looking forward to Thor. Every other hero released or announced has a pretty clear alter-ego, but Thor is usually just Thor. I think in some older comics, he is a doctor or something, but that was mostly abandoned recently, based on my limited knowledge of Marvel. Most modern Thor I've read or seen is just him flying around, and his past is only important when convenient for whatever narrative. He's not like Peter Parker or Tony Stark where their alter-ego is vital to their character. Maybe his alterego has something to do with Asgard? It'll be neat to see what they do with it. It'll be the same way when they inevitably go galactic and put out the Guardians of the Universe and Silver Surfer. None of those characters have clear alter-egos, but they are popular so they have to be coming at some point.

Aren't there like a million thors? I remember that weird animal person Thor distinctively, he seemed cool.

Edit: his name was Bill? Or something

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Does anybody know how the tournament format works for a game like Marvel? I have a friend interested but he doesn’t own and would just borrow a deck from me. So if I need all 4 decks available that wouldn’t help.

While I’ve pretty much got all the rules down I do have a question about resources. When you play a card like Iron Mans damage one where you discard cards from the deck, and it has to have a certain symbol in order for it to do more damage, does the “wild/anything” resource count for that? Or is that only when you play it from your hand?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

Does anybody know how the tournament format works for a game like Marvel? I have a friend interested but he doesn’t own and would just borrow a deck from me. So if I need all 4 decks available that wouldn’t help.

While I’ve pretty much got all the rules down I do have a question about resources. When you play a card like Iron Mans damage one where you discard cards from the deck, and it has to have a certain symbol in order for it to do more damage, does the “wild/anything” resource count for that? Or is that only when you play it from your hand?

Wild counts as any resource, unless the rules specify printed resource. Assuming you're talking about Relentless Assault, if you pay for that with a Wild resource, then the attack gains Overkill.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Rusty Kettle posted:

He isn't announced, but Im looking forward to Hulk. Bruce Banner doesn't have much control over when he becomes Hulk, so it'll be interesting to see how they translate that.

Since Hulk is already in the game (as an Aggression Ally), I'm curious when Hulk will be added as a hero.

I am very interested in seeing how Allies/Villains/Heroes get re-included in new forms.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Jarvisi posted:

Aren't there like a million thors? I remember that weird animal person Thor distinctively, he seemed cool.

I don't know... All I know is the Thor who loves Jane Foster and the Thor who is Jane Foster. But the character has been around for decades so who knows.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CitizenKeen posted:

Since Hulk is already in the game (as an Aggression Ally), I'm curious when Hulk will be added as a hero.

I am very interested in seeing how Allies/Villains/Heroes get re-included in new forms.

They put in rules support for having multiples of the same characters (you check for different subtitles or alter-egos) so there's nothing really stopping them from having Hulk as both a hero and an Ally. I do hope they get a variety of characters out before we get like Sam Wilson as Captain America or whatever, at least as a whole new deck. It would be pretty cool to include new alter-egos as a one-off in the big campaign sets or something.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

Wild counts as any resource, unless the rules specify printed resource. Assuming you're talking about Relentless Assault, if you pay for that with a Wild resource, then the attack gains Overkill.

I was talking about repulsor blast, but the part about printed resource cleared that up for me, thanks, as the card does state that. I wasn’t playing as Iron Man so I didn’t look at the card closely enough.

Thanks for heads up.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Rusty Kettle posted:

The downside to this method is that I won't have a binder of cards. If I want a particular card in Captain Marvel, I'll need to dig through the other Leadership decks to find it.

While it seems like a cool idea, let's not kid ourselves - lots of cards will suck and become binder fodder, and you'll probably have 1 (2 after a while) decks of each aspect which are good. The same goes for the Hero packs, which will most likely be bad-to-average at best without any changes.

I do however like the distribution model, because the buy-in for a new player is a Hero pack (you can skip the core if someone else owns it), and then they can buy whatever they want from there

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zerf posted:

While it seems like a cool idea, let's not kid ourselves - lots of cards will suck and become binder fodder, and you'll probably have 1 (2 after a while) decks of each aspect which are good. The same goes for the Hero packs, which will most likely be bad-to-average at best without any changes.

I don't doubt that there will be garbage cards.

But, I wonder if the nature of the Hero and Villain decks will require a greater diversity of Aspect decks.

On the Hero side, for example, heroes care about resources. So you'll want to have a Leadership deck with lots of Physical, and one with lots of Energy, etc. Not even counting that some heroes want to be able to do different things. I can imagine that, ten packs from now, Captain Marvel wants very different Leadership cards than Spider-Man.

On the Villain side, I suspect that villains will require certain builds, especially on Expert mode. Ultron in the Core Set seems to require an ability to go wide, and what we've seen of Green Goblin seems to want spikey damage. So those are two different decks.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jarvisi posted:

Allegedly they are legally required to use the art that marvel gives them, so they don't have a choice for this

If that's really the case that sucks for them, but even then it's not entirely Marvel's fault since I think the generic layout of the cards is also pretty bad. The overall presentation just doesn't jive with me (and a couple of people I know also thought the same thing at Gen con). I think it's something FFG is usually good at though which is disappointing-all their LCGs up to this point I've thought looked great to amazing.

I will say that I do think their distribution model is neat and I think could end up hooking a lot of people by itself. And there's a chance someone in my group will pick it up so maybe I'll try it and actually love it despite looking terrible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jarvisi posted:

Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor but he is an alien who looks like a horse and can wield Mjolnir.

One time when the multiverse got smashed together all of the various Thors formed a kind of multiversal police force and it was awesome.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't doubt that there will be garbage cards.

But, I wonder if the nature of the Hero and Villain decks will require a greater diversity of Aspect decks.

I agree with this.

Its also cool that trash cards will get put into decks, which is one step closer to being played than in a binder. I think this will mean trash cards will get played more, and a purpose for them might be found somewhere.

I don't like Iron Man, so he might become my 'trash deck' of leftovers. However, if I get a bug up my rear end and decide to give him a go on an easier villain, I'll be playing with cards that I ordinarily wouldn't. This is much better than most LCGs where trash collects dust in a binder because the effort to actually build them into something is very high.

In theory, I can do this for Arkham too I guess, but the unique deck building requirements of each investigator makes this more of a hassle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Beta Ray Bill isn't Thor but he is an alien who looks like a horse and can wield Mjolnir.

One time when the multiverse got smashed together all of the various Thors formed a kind of multiversal police force and it was awesome.

Weren't they all working for Doom and literal Nazis?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few of them are actually corrupt but most were just hoodwinked by Doom, and they all turn on him when they find out.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Secret Wars was so good. Hickman ruined Marvel for me with that run.

I'm not very interesting in the Marvel LCG but if they ever make a God Emperor Doom expansion I'm buying in.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Forgive stupid question, but how different would something like Marvel Champions be from Sentinels of the Multiverse? I've never seen a LCG played in person, but I know that I don't want a situation like SotM where there is a ton of book keeping and a deck that offers like one real decision every two turns with limited ways to get what you need out of the deck.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've never played Sentinels but there's very little book-keeping in Marvel Champions, you'll have your health on one dial and the villain's health on another, and any minor minions generally have less than four health so you can deal with them with tokens easily.

It's a good game and I am stoked as hell for the Captain America pack just to get more Leadership options, although I'm also pretty starved for yellow to make a nice She-Hulk lawyer deck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Iron Man has some looking at cards and figuring wether you have this or that keyword with his attachments, but is certainly less than Sentinels.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So far the box seems pretty nice. Just got it today. Though why did the game come with slots for dividers while not actually having any?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jarvisi posted:

So far the box seems pretty nice. Just got it today. Though why did the game come with slots for dividers while not actually having any?

A question for the ages

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jarvisi posted:

So they can sell them to you later

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So they can sell them to you later

Yeah but at the rate ffg does things, people will just print them themselves by then

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Toploaders are working fine for the moment.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Shadow225 posted:

Forgive stupid question, but how different would something like Marvel Champions be from Sentinels of the Multiverse? I've never seen a LCG played in person, but I know that I don't want a situation like SotM where there is a ton of book keeping and a deck that offers like one real decision every two turns with limited ways to get what you need out of the deck.

Marvel Champions is better than Sentinels in every single way. I liked Sentinels, but man I remember that game having super small math bits that was so hard to keep track of, and there usually wasn’t that much in terms of decision making. Once you had your good card(s) you just did the same thing over and over again.

Marvel solves this by having a resource cost to a lot of things, and generally you’re super strong hitting things are one time uses. It’s also more strategic because of the alter-ego aspect of the game.

If you liked Sentinels, I think Marvel Champions is probably a slam dunk (unless you hate deck building, which I guess would make Sentinels win by default).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sentinels is nice in that people just grab decks and play. Both of the Arkham Horror campaigns I was in died out because it was half people who really wanted to tinker with deck building, and half people who didn't want to figure out building decks.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

PJOmega posted:

Sentinels is nice in that people just grab decks and play. Both of the Arkham Horror campaigns I was in died out because it was half people who really wanted to tinker with deck building, and half people who didn't want to figure out building decks.

It was kinda a long post, but a page ago I wrote about how you can do this in champions if you want, or you can make it fully custom like Arkham, or something in between. It's pretty flexible.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

I find this really surprising.

Arkham deck building is not particularly time consuming and it's really easy to just grab one off the internet for people to work towards if they can't be bothered. I'm not a fan of deck building in general, despite playing lots of LCGs, and the way you upgrade your deck in Arkham is really smooth.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

I find this really surprising.

Arkham deck building is not particularly time consuming and it's really easy to just grab one off the internet for people to work towards if they can't be bothered. I'm not a fan of deck building in general, despite playing lots of LCGs, and the way you upgrade your deck in Arkham is really smooth.

I loved it personally.

The issue was letting people look through the binder and upgrades. "Why would I spend 4 experience on this? It only reduces the cost by 2!" Attempts to explain how that saved you actions and such was met with eyes glazing and going "ugh I don't care just do whatever" and then getting angry later that their deck had new cards or the cards worked slightly differently.

I've been playing magic and other boardgames for over a decade, so a lot of the things I've internalized by default (curve, efficiency, card advantage, etc) are easy to take for granted, as many gamers do. But for people who are new or who are only dipping their toe in it is a lot of new brain churn that they may not have expected.

Then there's the self-proclaimed genius who has been playing MTG for years and never had a positive W/L ratio at Friday night magic "because luck hates him and everyone else netdecks" and don't dare try to suggest maybe not building an arkham deck where everything costs 4 or more without any way to quickly gain cash. "I start with 5 so I can afford most of the things!"

Anyway, I know those aren't the norm but they were the playgroup I had available at the time.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Got Marvel Champions on a whim and I'm really enjoying it. I got hard into the LotR LCG on OCTGN a few years back and I'm really glad I'm in on the ground floor for this one instead of looking at dozens of different products I might need to buy to play IRL.

While I don't particularly love or hate the theme myself, it being Marvel probably means I can get some of my non-boardgamer friends to try it. :evilbuddy:

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

I think we can get rid of the "run your nets elsewhere" subtitle by now...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Every time this thread starts up again, I look to see how the LOTR digital card game is doing and there's still only 1 expansion. It's been more than a year, wtf? How do you fumble this so badly?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GrandpaPants posted:

Every time this thread starts up again, I look to see how the LOTR digital card game is doing and there's still only 1 expansion. It's been more than a year, wtf? How do you fumble this so badly?

It probably didn't sell at all so they gave up on it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jarvisi posted:

Beta Ray Bill is a cyborg alien horse who bests Thor in a contest to see who's worthy of Mjolnir

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Living Card Game That: What The gently caress Is FFG Up To Now?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

polynominal-c posted:

I think we can get rid of the "run your nets elsewhere" subtitle by now...

Project Nisei still exists damnit

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The LOTR digital game came out on Switch this week, I saw it on the New Releases list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It’s really too bad because with even just one more expansion there would be exponentially more viable deck building options available. As it stands only a few heroes and deck archetypes can compete on the higher difficulty because a lot of interesting cards require that you run a mono deck to be able to include them.