Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

divabot posted:

*well-actuallys into the thread*

so I took all of this week as holiday, specifically so i could sit my backside down and write

I've spent 14 hours/day researching Libra

so, if it was PayPal-but-it's-Facebook, it would make sense.

but welcome to Bitcoin. David Marcus from Libra is an early bitcoiner, he's right into the stuff since 2012, massive hodler.

this is why the Libra white paper is full of weird bitcoinery

I can confidently state:
1. they are completely sincere.
2. this idea makes no loving sense on any level.

I think they'll end up with US-based FaceBucks through the Calibra wallet subsidiary. But Libra the cryptocurrency is probably not a happener in the foreseeable future.

Also, the only entity putting resources, staff or engineering towards Libra is Facebook.

dude you are the best and I love your job. Get paid to make fun of bitcoin idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

divabot posted:

*well-actuallys into the thread*

so I took all of this week as holiday, specifically so i could sit my backside down and write

I've spent 14 hours/day researching Libra

so, if it was PayPal-but-it's-Facebook, it would make sense.

but welcome to Bitcoin. David Marcus from Libra is an early bitcoiner, he's right into the stuff since 2012, massive hodler.

this is why the Libra white paper is full of weird bitcoinery

I can confidently state:
1. they are completely sincere.
2. this idea makes no loving sense on any level.

I think they'll end up with US-based FaceBucks through the Calibra wallet subsidiary. But Libra the cryptocurrency is probably not a happener in the foreseeable future.

Also, the only entity putting resources, staff or engineering towards Libra is Facebook.
Is there an angle here that makes sense where you add layers of technobabble obfuscation in the hopes that gives you a pass to practically create your own sovereign corporate currency and central bank without running afoul of government agents who yell at you that you're not allowed to create your own currency?

I mean maybe they did it in a really stupid and non-scaleable bitcoin full-believer way in this specific instance, but what if they weren't loving morons?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Azathoth posted:

It really doesn't, which is why I think it's doomed to failure, but at least theoretically they can badger people about using it while they're already on Facebook. They also could theoretically have people start using it without that info by someone giving them FaceBux and only require banking details on cash out since unlike every other service, people have a reason to use Facebook without needing to transfer cash.

Nah, Facebook could make it work because giving everybody an account without having to link your bank account is really what would make it different.

They can give you free money to kickstart the system and encourage you to link your bank account, but only allow transfers out of a given size (so you cannot withdraw your free F$ 1). They can add micropayments, user to user transfers, “get paid to watch ads,” and get one or two big chains to accept exchanging F$ for real goods. Everybody can do micropayments immediately, and everybody can receive money, so you have instant adoption for 1 B users.

The reason it’s going to fail is more due to unfortunate timing, releasing it while privacy scandal after privacy scandal surfaces.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The reason it's going to fail is because the person in charge is a diehard true believer who earnestly thought that calling it a cryptocurrency would allow them to do an end-run around all the existing financial regulations - and so they were completely blindsided when governments called them up asking about how they planned to comply with all those existing laws.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm certain that calling it a crypto brought it more scrutiny than if it didn't. If Facebook created a money market fund from a basket of different currencies, said they'd smooth over currency risks, issued "shares" with par of $1, and duly registered it with the SEC and called it Zuckerbucks then there'd be a ton less regulator outrage. There'd be a lot less hype too, but that hype was in other pie-in-the-sky cryptocurrencies hoping that Zuckerberg was going to make buttcoins moon...somehow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

klafbang posted:

Nah, Facebook could make it work because giving everybody an account without having to link your bank account is really what would make it different.

Again, not unique. You can paypal/zelle/whatever to someone via their email address or phone number. That is their "account" and they can't withdraw the fund without giving bank information.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

Tether is a fiat cryptocurrency.

:wow:

comedyblissoption posted:

but what if they weren't loving morons?

Bitcoin: but what if they weren't loving morons?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure all cryptocurrencies are "fiat" currencies, none of them are backed by anything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure all cryptocurrencies are "fiat" currencies, none of them are backed by anything.

True, but Tether is special. Most of them hype their code-imposed limit as better than national fiat currencies because with national fiat currencies there is always the chance the central bank will lose it's mind and go all Zimbabwe causing hyperinflation and other bad things. Tether has no limit and in fact has been printed off with wild abandon, just like they claim to fear can happen with national fiat currencies, and there's barely a peep that this is bad.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

quote:

Bitcoin: but what if they weren't loving morons?

Rearranging things to make sense.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Azathoth posted:

The way I understand it is that they're trying to do Venmo but on a larger scale, since the US (and a surprising number of other places) still don't have the kind of quick person to person money transfers that Europe has.

The idea isn't that you'd use FaceBux off of Facebook. It's when you need to give your buddy $20 because they bought tickets so you could all sit together or when you need to give the guy your Dad knows who's handy with cars $50 to replace a belt, you'll just move money around on Facebook, since you both already have Facebook accounts.

That could then be cashed out to a bank account, but most folks will probably leave it sit at least for a bit, giving Facebook a crazy amount of cash on hand at any given time, and presumably a cut anytime someone wants money out.

On its face, it's not completely ridiculous. None of the competing money transfer apps have really caught on in the US, and a big reason is that they're mostly either bank-specific or a new service where folks have to go through a sign up process just for that. Facebook, at least in theory, has the kind of user base, particularly with older and less tech savvy folks who need to be on board for something like this to catch on.

That said, Facebook seems to be slipping into the same space that AOL occupied in the late 90s to early 00s where they're used heavily but very few people are really enthusiastic about actually using them. And for me personally, just lol at giving Facebook more info about myself. I'd refuse to use FaceBux just on principle.

i live in the us, in a state that is usually years behind the coasts, and everyone I know uses venmo to transfer money quickly to each other

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There's like a million ways to transfer money within the US. Paypal, Square, Venmo, Zelle (which sends it right from your bank login), all kinds of other stupid apps that do similar things. My impression is that Libra would be more about sending money between countries, which brings up some serious issues about the US government having some control (or at least knowledge of) of money entering or leaving the US.

Why blockchain is even involved I can't explain. Maybe because they think it will help them avoid regulations as they aren't sending actual currency, but the congressional hearings with Zucc really did not go well. They hated Libra, dismissed it almost at the beginning and then made arguments that Facebook should be broken up and also called the Zucc on his new bullshit origin story that Facebook was started in response to the Iraq war. That dude is a fuckin worm

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

comedyblissoption posted:

Is there an angle here that makes sense where you add layers of technobabble obfuscation in the hopes that gives you a pass to practically create your own sovereign corporate currency and central bank without running afoul of government agents who yell at you that you're not allowed to create your own currency?

I mean maybe they did it in a really stupid and non-scaleable bitcoin full-believer way in this specific instance, but what if they weren't loving morons?

no, there is no angle that makes sense here. there is no reason that makes sense to do this as a blockchain. I and many other pundits were asked to opine on this by space-filling journalists, and all of us said "they can't be doing a blockchain, they're smart, that's a dumb idea."

we severely underestimated the degree to which zuckerberg is a fast-talking chancer who got lucky.

Jabor posted:

The reason it's going to fail is because the person in charge is a diehard true believer who earnestly thought that calling it a cryptocurrency would allow them to do an end-run around all the existing financial regulations - and so they were completely blindsided when governments called them up asking about how they planned to comply with all those existing laws.

david marcus was the president of loving paypal. the man literally in fact knows payments, and compliance, and international issues. that means this is even stupider than it would be if he didn't.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
It was pretty gratifying seeing Zuck actually trying "Well, we're just handling money. We aren't applying for a banking license :smug:" only to get told "No poo poo, dope. Thats why we called you in for a hearing."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s important to remember that Mark Zuckerberg is not a visionary tech genius, but actually a massive creep whose claim to fame was a website he made to rate how fuckabale his classmates are. He frankly has too much power and authority and the fact that we have to check in with him about Facebook and how it’s slowly destroying our democracy or furthering fascist rhetoric in SE Asia and he’s literally no authority to speak on anything more qualified than a blinged our MySpace page

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wow, leave Myspace out of this Tom did nothing wrong

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s important to remember that Mark Zuckerberg is not a visionary tech genius, but actually a massive creep whose claim to fame was a website he made to rate how fuckabale his classmates are. He frankly has too much power and authority and the fact that we have to check in with him about Facebook and how it’s slowly destroying our democracy or furthering fascist rhetoric in SE Asia and he’s literally no authority to speak on anything more qualified than a blinged our MySpace page
Uh but his number went up, very high? Therefore, very strong. You are jealous. I am ghostty's interior logic gates.

There is an ancient proverb: If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at who he gives it to.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
lest we forget: More money = better than

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

divabot posted:

"they can't be doing a blockchain, they're smart, that's a dumb idea."

Bitcoin: they can't be doing it, they're smart, that's a dumb idea.

But seriously slapping buzzwords like AI and blockchain on things is so common the only thing I can fault them on (so far as that goes) is laziness. It's like if they started throwing around "synergy" again.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s important to remember that Mark Zuckerberg is not a visionary tech genius, but actually a massive creep whose claim to fame was a website he made to rate how fuckabale his classmates are.

I think even that is way too much credit, as it's implying the site has features.

They opened an Ivy League yearbook so plebs could feel like they were part of it.

It has no feature, except to be on it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I thought facebook was a good "newsfeed" but they've pivoted so many times who even knows anymore. I stopped using it two years ago, I really don't need all of my political and pop culture fixations viewable and commented on by my friends and family.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Keeping up to date on current events is much better as a solo activity

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

revwinnebago posted:

Bitcoin: they can't be doing it, they're smart, that's a dumb idea.

But seriously slapping buzzwords like AI and blockchain on things is so common the only thing I can fault them on (so far as that goes) is laziness. It's like if they started throwing around "synergy" again.

I've found buzzwords to be highly useful when pitching projects because the folks who control the budget hear them in industry news and want to brag to their bosses and other assorted people at the country club that they're visionary thought leaders innovating in new paradigms by driving core synergies. Just gotta keep a path that allows you to say that you're totally doing <buzzword>, even if you're not really.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASJRv_i_Oc

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Azathoth posted:

I've found buzzwords to be highly useful when pitching projects because the folks who control the budget hear them in industry news and want to brag to their bosses and other assorted people at the country club that they're visionary thought leaders innovating in new paradigms by driving core synergies. Just gotta keep a path that allows you to say that you're totally doing <buzzword>, even if you're not really.

We're using a lean sigma approach to improve synergy between departments and drive efficient interplay of agency-wide potential to achieve holistic results.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just lol if you don't use at least six sigmas. Just lol.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I’m more six sigma than lean but sometimes you need a bit of fat before you get really lean.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sigma balls

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Azathoth posted:

Do you know the story of POJO?

Nerd story: In programming it became massively in-fashion to use pre-built packages for stuff. You'd walk into a room and your manager would ask if you're using SPQR and XD and you definitely have to be using LGBTQ+ because all the hip companies are using that. Some programmers were so fed up that they started telling their bosses they were going to use the superior POJO framework, and POJO methodologies, for all future projects. Managers were very excited.

POJO means "Plain old Java objects" as in not using a single buzzwords thanks.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
The difference with blockchain vs six sigma or agile is you can just smile and nod and go to the learning workshops with whatever consultants they brought in but with blockchain IBM will send some doofus whose resume is like 6 months of writing python test scripts but has rebranded himself a blockchain expert to lead a project and then throw a fit to upper management when you say "nah we're just gonna use postgres"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Stop me if you've heard this one:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/einstein-cryptocurrency-bitcoin-complaints-1.5347104

quote:

Wu said he went to the Einstein Exchange office last Friday and "discovered that the elevator is locked for all floors."
"I called Gokturk's phone number listed on their website and the recording said all their agents are not available," Wu's affidavit said.
"I called Gokturk and his voice mail said that he is unavailable and to send a text message since he does not check voice mail."

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 5, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Somehow totally unsurprised this was in Vancouver. We're like the world money laundering capital. Also lol at reporting the money laundering to the RCMP. Their money laundering task force is barely staffed.

(Because both parties who get in power at the federal level seem to just love them some money laundering.)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Well, the observation that Bitfinex is the source of most Bitcoin price jumps seems to be making its way out into the world. And apparently some people are pinning the entire rise to almost $20K on a single player: https://www.technologyreview.com/f/614673/one-bitcoin-whale-may-have-fueled-the-currencys-price-spike-in-2017/

Edit: longer article linked from the MIT Tech Review one: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-04/lone-bitcoin-whale-likely-fueled-2017-price-surge-study-says

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

On my drive home today I saw a license plate : BTC HODL. Strangely enough, it wasn't on a lambo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrUnderbridge posted:

On my drive home today I saw a license plate : BTC HODL. Strangely enough, it wasn't on a lambo.

This is terrible, but it is what came to mind:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Interviewed a potential roommate and about 15 mins in he started going on about bitcoin and how he has accumulated one so far.

Needless to say, he won't be moving in.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
https://twitter.com/janl/status/1191991670327390208

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That makes a lot of sense

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It really doesn't.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Interviewed a potential roommate and about 15 mins in he started going on about bitcoin and how he has accumulated one so far.

Needless to say, he won't be moving in.

No, just make sure he's a miner, write up an airtight contract to split the bills so he pays all the electric while you take care of water or whatever and voila, free heating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is there a word or phrase for concepts that are couched behind so much esoteric jargon to make them seem more legitimate? Because blockchain is that.