Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been loving this game but I'm worried I may have screwed myself (late-ish game spoilers). I have been playing without a guide for 30ish hours but finally looked this up when I had no idea what to do.

I didn't know you could actually kill the three ancients in the dream realm since they didn't react to getting hit with the nail a couple times. I've already been to all three of their locations and I know I can get back to them easily, but the one in Deepnest was somewhat scripted so I'm wondering if it's possible to get back to the Beast's Lair section.

It’s been a while since I’ve played but I’m pretty sure you can just climb back up to the dreamer using the same path you use to leave normally. You don’t need the scripted event to get up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Thanks, guys. That had me worried. This game is more opaque than Dark Souls at times but it's incredible

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
People skip the cutscene when doing speedruns, you can climb the wall and then find the path in the ceiling that lets you get up to the dreamer.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Any news on the McFarlane toys for Hollow Knight?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just found the Fool's Coliseum and goddamn this game is filled with perfect moments.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

Any news on the McFarlane toys for Hollow Knight?

Nothing yet, but Fangamer is giving us this wonderfully doofy Grimm plush:

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1186697513861955584?s=20

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pigbuster posted:

Nothing yet, but Fangamer is giving us this wonderfully doofy Grimm plush:

https://twitter.com/Fangamer/status/1186697513861955584?s=20

Ahahah, looks like someone in a (cheap) costume. It's great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just found the Fool's Coliseum and goddamn this game is filled with perfect moments.

My favourite thing in that place is when in the second challenge the crowd all laughs at you when the mimic turns on you. The crowd's reactions all add to the experience as a whole.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite thing in that place is when in the second challenge the crowd all laughs at you when the mimic turns on you. The crowd's reactions all add to the experience as a whole.

Yeah, their cheering combined with the rapid drumming really gets you into it.

The flower quest doesn't like any workarounds, huh? I thought I was slick because I had the dreamgate by the time I found the grave and thought "well, I can't get hit or ride a stag/tram but she didn't say anything about this." Still didn't work :smith:

Also it's crazy that I'm still finding new areas and bosses after more than 40 hours. Granted, probably 10 of those hours were spent aimlessly wandering trying to figure out what to do or backtracking once I get a new ability, but drat. Hallownest is like Lordran on steroids.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is one workaround. The dangerous enemies only respawn if you sit at a bench so you can clear out a route in advance.

Also yes, there was many an occasion when I thought I'd found all the areas and then surprise there's more

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I skipped the first ten-odd pages of this thread because it's all spoilers but holy cow this game was made by like four people, one of whom posts here?! :aaaaa:

This game has more attention to detail than AAA titles with 100 developers. loving insane.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just started playing this game, and oh my god this is exactly what I want in a game. The controls are beautifully precise and intuitive, the exploration is fun, the environments varied, and the characters are adorable. I also love how the background story is slowly being revealed as I go along.

It took me like 10 hours to figure out that I could slash my sword up and down though, lol.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait till you find out you can do it sideways!!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's a sword?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Hwurmp posted:

There's a sword?

Well, needle or whatever.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm at 99% after about 50 hours. Once I got to like 90% I started using guides because I had no idea how to get to White Palace. I should be able to go there after fighting Markoth and at least one dream boss.

It's crazy that there were hidden areas in even the first couple stages that I had totally missed until today, including a few charms.

Still need to finish the DLC, almost done with Grimm Troupe.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Still need to finish the DLC, almost done with Grimm Troupe.

Ahhahahaha.... ahhahaha!!!!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Arrhythmia posted:

Ahhahahaha.... ahhahaha!!!!

I'm doing the ending where you help Brumm :v:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Good luck finishing God Seeker

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MeatwadIsGod posted:

cowardice

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nightmare King Grimm is perhaps the most fun I had in the game you're missing out!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
In that case maybe I'll reconsider. The first fight was great after all. I just really like Brumm!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You still get the fight if you do Godseeker

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My first dream boss was a bit weird. I somehow knocked Lost Kin beyond the arena barrier during the latter part of the fight and was free to just spam Shade Soul at him until he died. Got me enough essence for the awoken dream nail though so it's time for White Palace!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m farming Unbreakable Strength before I attempt NKG in earnest because I am Hollow on the inside.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just recently found out about charm synergies, by looking at the hollow knight wiki. Weird that they don't explain them in game at all. Is there any in game indication that when charms effect each other?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

super fart shooter posted:

I just recently found out about charm synergies, by looking at the hollow knight wiki. Weird that they don't explain them in game at all. Is there any in game indication that when charms effect each other?

it almsot always changes the visual effects of the charms on screen, like the color of the spell or the particle effects will be different.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Not to my knowledge, no. Some are accompanied by obvious sfx changes, but others just work in the background and are basically invisible unless you specifically test for them. There's a bunch of "secret" mechanics like that which are never explained in-game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The charm vendor tells you that synergies exist, but I don't think the game ever tells you which combinations work.

quote:

“Do you wear a lot of Charms at once? It's a lot of fun isn't it, mixing and matching them to get the perfect combination? I don't know whether you've noticed, but some Charms seem to like each other. Yes! Mmm! When Charms like each other, they shine even brighter and sing even more sweetly!
Even more reason to try all sorts of fun and surprising combinations of Charms!”

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m farming Unbreakable Strength before I attempt NKG in earnest because I am Hollow on the inside.

NKG is a dream fight, so regular old Fragile Strength won’t break when you die.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

NKG is considered a dream fight so dying against him won't break fragile strength anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I mean most of the charm interactions are fairly intuitive aren't they?

What blows my mind is, does the game ever reference over-charming? I didn't know about that until I was like 80% of the way through the game already. I guess its not really something you need or are meant to use.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean most of the charm interactions are fairly intuitive aren't they?

What blows my mind is, does the game ever reference over-charming? I didn't know about that until I was like 80% of the way through the game already. I guess its not really something you need or are meant to use.

I think Salubra mentions something if you keep talking to her, but other than that I don't think so.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
White Palace wasn't that bad? :confused: There was really only one area that frustrated me - the hallway of spears. I have to go back at some point for the Path of Pain assuming there's something worthwhile at the end of it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

White Palace wasn't that bad? :confused: There was really only one area that frustrated me - the hallway of spears. I have to go back at some point for the Path of Pain assuming there's something worthwhile at the end of it.

Only a soupcon of story.

e: and bragging rights

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

There's also a journal entry, but it's not required for journal completion.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the reward at the end of the path of pain is a t-shirt saying "i beat the path of pain"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spoiler: you're not allowed to keep the shirt

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITtPPE-pXE

Spoilers, but if you haven't seen these videos before, the Boss Keys series are an amazing deep dive on a game's design and order, especially focusing on metroidvanias.

Really really great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watched that video and got the urge to play again, so I went back and started working on a few achievements. I was following a guide for the 5 hour speedrun but got stuck on the Watcher Knights.

So instead I loaded up my main file and finished off NKG. That is the most satisfying fight. Feels great to learn his patterns and how to react quickly enough.

Maybe I should grind enough to hit Perfect Vessel...

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2019