Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I love the trend in Immortal Hulk of characters reminding Bruce that he’s the pinnacle of a privileged white man and Bruce doesn’t try and one up them by listing off his struggles. I went into Immortal Hulk thinking it’d be the most insufferable version of him but it’s by far my favorite interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I mean, he is building a mindess doomsday cult that worships black goo so it's not far off.

drat!

Also I just caught up with the last 3 months of Daredevil and holy poo poo who'd have imagined that goofy-rear end Chip Zdarsky would be this goddamn good at writing dark? Like it takes chops to write Kingpin as being actually believably scared and I think he really pulled it off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1192569207206096897?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cap and Namor are both currently depowered! Invaders is good and you all should be checking it out, but then again it's by Chip Zdarsky so you should all know that already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's atlantean, breathing water isn't a power!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Spider-Man & Venom: Double Trouble is really cute and now I'm sad that Gurihiru aren't doing a Spider-Gwen ongoing series. :(

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Speak posted:

OK, sold.

It was great. So fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The OP makes it look like this is the general Marvel thread so gently caress it :justpost:

I haven't followed Marvel since life happened and I stopped buying books shortly before Hickman's big final Avengers event ended but I want to poke my way back into a few lines and don't know where to start.

So if anyone could point me in the direction of where to start for:

Cosmic Ghost Rider
The new stuff with Venom
Hickman's X-Men (does it have leadup before his issues went live?)
Can I just start reading the Doctor Doom series or again is there leadup?

You would be the best

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
the new Venom stuff all starts with the first issue of Donny Cates' run on the book IIRC, so the current volume should have everything you need.

There was no leadup to Hickman's X-books, start with House of X and Powers of X, the two concurrently-running miniserieses (that can't be the right word) that just wrapped up.

The only real leadup to the Doctor Doom mini, so far as I can tell, would be the introduction of the character Victorious in Dan Slott's first arc of Fantastic Four. Having said that, if you go in with the knowledge of 'she has superpowers and she is Doctor Doom's faithful lackey' you should be covered.

Cosmic Ghost Rider got introduced in a recent Thanos miniseries and just sort of randomly pops up every so often for no good reason that I can tell, there doesn't seem to be much through-line

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Len posted:

The OP makes it look like this is the general Marvel thread so gently caress it :justpost:

I haven't followed Marvel since life happened and I stopped buying books shortly before Hickman's big final Avengers event ended but I want to poke my way back into a few lines and don't know where to start.

So if anyone could point me in the direction of where to start for:

Cosmic Ghost Rider
The new stuff with Venom

You would be the best

For Venom, you could start with the 2016 series by Mike Costa (+ the crossover mini-series Venom Inc.). I didn't like it all that much and I wouldn't consider it mandatory reading, but it does provide some background on how Eddie and Venom got to where they were at the start of Cates' currently ongoing run.

As for Cosmic Ghost Rider, he was introduced in issue #13 of the 2017/2018 Thanos series, which was also the first issue by Cates, so you might as well start there. From thereon, the reading order is Thanos > Cosmic Ghost Rider > Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History > Guardians of the Galaxy (2019).

Like DCB said, the new X-Men can be read without reading any prior stuff. Do note that House of X and Powers of X were published in parallel and need to be read alongside each other, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Len posted:

Cosmic Ghost Rider
The new stuff with Venom
Both of these come from Cates, a very crazy and good author. You can probably just look up everything he’s written for Marvel in the past 3 years. Especially if the cover has Thanos, Venom, or Ghost Rider on it.

quote:

Basically no lead up at all. For Doom, start at #1. For x-men, also start at #1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Billzasilver posted:

Both of these come from Cates, a very crazy and good author. You can probably just look up everything he’s written for Marvel in the past 3 years. Especially if the cover has Thanos, Venom, or Ghost Rider on it.

Basically no lead up at all. For Doom, start at #1. For x-men, also start at #1.

Yeah I've read some of Cates non-Marvel stuff and I dig his work

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cosmic Ghost Rider also shows up in the latest arc of Avengers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Black Cat annual was pure /chef's kiss.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dawgstar posted:

Seconding this.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

I think you mean :discourse:.

But yeah, it was.

(I'm just gonna headcanon it that this experience is what got Peter on the path to (trying to) propose to MJ in the current ASM run).

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Yvonmukluk posted:

(I'm just gonna headcanon it that this experience is what got Peter on the path to (trying to) propose to MJ in the current ASM run).

I like this and I loved the Black Cat Annual. Vazquez particularly killed it, especially with the fluid combat scenes and expressive faces, but it's a team effort of course - as Boris and Bruno demonstrate. :3:

Spidey almost recognising them was such a great bit!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
godspeed squirrel girl :patriot:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

https://twitter.com/slicedfriedgold/status/1194671014883414016?s=20

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was a fine finale for Squirrel Girl, but if I'm being completely honest, I could've done without the Doctor is regenerating speech Galactus gave in the middle. It was just a hair too on the nose.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

howe_sam posted:

That was a fine finale for Squirrel Girl, but if I'm being completely honest, I could've done without the Doctor is regenerating speech Galactus gave in the middle. It was just a hair too on the nose.

Counterpoint:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for the support, everyone! I'm glad you liked the book.

Metalshark posted:

Spidey almost recognising them was such a great bit!

Spider-Man's been beat down by so many mooks over the years, they're bound to blur together.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The Runaways costume sequence was so goooood. Molly is SO MAD ovr Nico's 90's style outift, I love it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Soonmot posted:

The Runaways costume sequence was so goooood. Molly is SO MAD ovr Nico's 90's style outift, I love it.

I bet that was the pitch to get Anka to do another full issue. Genolet is doing good work, but I'm glad they got Anka back for this one. Really curious for the big Doc Justice reveal...

USG was a bit schmaltzy in places, but it's earned it and heck yeah Doreen and Nancy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks for the support, everyone! I'm glad you liked the book.

I also love the idea of the Maggia as 'the Mafia but with rayguns.' I mean, it's true because look at Silvermane and even Count Nefaria had his own Maggia family once, but I don't think anybody else has come right out and said it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Like Intergang, I love the idea of lovely gangsters with technology they don't understand and using it for dumb crime poo poo. I'd like to revisit the Maggia with a less criminally-adept character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty much what happened in the Spider-Man PS4 game. Hammerhead and his goons got their hands on some Silver Sable tech.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Like Intergang, I love the idea of lovely gangsters with technology they don't understand and using it for dumb crime poo poo. I'd like to revisit the Maggia with a less criminally-adept character.

Isn't Shocker technically high up in the Maggia because he's got Silvermane's head?

Edit: also looking forward to the Hydra/Maggia war that's going to spin out of this. Right? Right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't Shocker technically high up in the Maggia because he's got Silvermane's head?

Edit: also looking forward to the Hydra/Maggia war that's going to spin out of this. Right? Right?

The last time I heard of him, he was killed by his lover, who he killed previously.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

The last time I heard of him, he was killed by his lover, who he killed previously.

that's electro, not shocker

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Shocker's last few non-crowd-scene appearances were pretty firmly in "hard luck guy who barely even wants to be a supervillain" territory, whether it's trying to open a bar in Chip Zdarksy's Starlord or trying to give himself superpowers while also trying to lifecoach Ms. Marvel at the tail end of the Wilson run.

He was apparently trying to set up a cat shelter in a pre-Cates issue of Venom from a few years ago?

I'm just sad that he hasn't ever tried to form a Silk/The Shocker team-up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

So the "being honest" thing was Doreen and Nancy admitting they're a couple? Not just to everyone else but to each other?

I am so sad to see that comic go, I was there day one for this, and it never had a bad issue. I hope Marvel gets Ryan North to do a Power Pack comic or something in the future.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longtime Spidey artist Tom Lyle passed away following an aneurysm. His work on Spider-Man and Robin in the '90s was some of favorite art on those books.

https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/1196832404515758085

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His work is what I think of when I remember the Scarlet Spider and 90's Robin. He also drew the bulk of the 80's Starman series. I met him one time, wonderful man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What a shame. He was awfully good. Never heard anything but nice things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1196901725073883136?s=19

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I haven't thought about it in a long time but yeah his Scarlet era stuff was rad. Didn't know he created the outfit. What a great look. More than just a superhero costume designed in the 90s it incorporated 90s fashion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A lot of people gave the Scarlet costume poo poo back in the day but I've always loved it. I'm still mad I can't buy the hoodie anywhere.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I always just assumed Bagley designed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

A lot of people gave the Scarlet costume poo poo back in the day but I've always loved it. I'm still mad I can't buy the hoodie anywhere.

You can buy them on Amazon if you don't care about Disney getting licensing dollars.