Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Yawgmoth posted:

I just assume that if you're playing foreign language cards you're trying to bullshit me on what it actually does. I think that they should be treated kind of like the flip card checklists; you have to have (at least) one English language version on hand and visible for your opponents to read when you play it.

This is dumb. I live in europe so a load of my cards are in various euro languages. Why should I have to rebuy everything in english?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just lol if you haven't memorized every card in your preferred format based solely on art and set symbol.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How many posts until we get someone demanding that, "Magic cards be in English because this is America and we speak American!"?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
There’s also the alt art Japanese Planeswalkers from WAR. Definitely a good case for people just wanting the art they like, and it causing minor rules confusion.

A good friend brought back a load from a trip to Japan, and so I’ve got a Japanese Tamiyo in my Commander deck. The passive text about Sacrificing and Discarding has been overlooked by people largely because of that, and so I make sure to remind people when and if I play it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
hahahaha how is this even a thing just learn every language wtf haha

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it's possible to make a deck out of all the cards that are misprinted in different languages. The Ashiok with the wrong loyalty costs, the metalcraft spell that simply costs 1 less and does nothing else, Swamp Drudge Skeletons....

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a new issue and when in doubt call a judge over to ask for the oracle text. They love it. I thought I heard they were gonna add an exception to the 'no phones' rule for looking up oracle text but can't find it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

How many posts until we get someone demanding that, "Magic cards be in English because this is America and we speak American!"?

Probably an infinite number of posts because no one is even approaching that?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There was an old rules question that Mike Flores proposed to whoever was the top level judge at the time about deck registration that went something like this:

Is it legal if I register 75 cards and then have 2 copies of the deck in separated deck boxes so they don't mix, one in Chinese, and the other in German, and then when I go to look at pairings, if my opponent's name is Nakamura I sit down to play with the German one, and if my opponent's name is Smith I pull out the Chinese one?

This was during the DTK era, where Dragonlord Kolaghan was not really played but marginally playable in some decks. It was specifically because Kolaghan had the "when an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker that has the same name as a card in their graveyard, they lose 10 life" ability which most people didn't memorize the specifics of. In a foreign language they can't read it was more likely for people to think that the card worked on all spells, or counted both players graveyards, or even forget the ability entirely because it so rarely came up. There are plenty more cards you could apply this to but you get the idea.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
There's also the apocryphal Inkwell Leviathan in Seattle PTQ finals story. Player A gets it on board, it's in Japanese or another foreign language. Opponent B asks, "Remind me, what does this card have?". A: "It's an artifact creature with shroud." Swings, chump, tramples over for lethal, "And trample."

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ultima66 posted:

There was an old rules question that Mike Flores proposed to whoever was the top level judge at the time about deck registration that went something like this:

Is it legal if I register 75 cards and then have 2 copies of the deck in separated deck boxes so they don't mix, one in Chinese, and the other in German, and then when I go to look at pairings, if my opponent's name is Nakamura I sit down to play with the German one, and if my opponent's name is Smith I pull out the Chinese one?

This was during the DTK era, where Dragonlord Kolaghan was not really played but marginally playable in some decks. It was specifically because Kolaghan had the "when an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker that has the same name as a card in their graveyard, they lose 10 life" ability which most people didn't memorize the specifics of. In a foreign language they can't read it was more likely for people to think that the card worked on all spells, or counted both players graveyards, or even forget the ability entirely because it so rarely came up. There are plenty more cards you could apply this to but you get the idea.

This is definitely some scummy bullshit and seems premeditated to bully or harass someone based on their race or national origin. If I were a judge I'd DQ someone for it.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 7, 2019

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

I feel that is, at minimum, Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Major.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
Magic cards should be in English because this is America and we speak American

kalvanoo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 7, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I like my foreign cards, they're pretty and I know what they do because they do the same thing as their English counterparts.

I hope that Inkwell Leviathan story is apocryphal, 'cause poo poo like that is the reason I ask "and nothing else?" when my opponent tells me what their non-English card does and I'm not familiar with it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

fadam posted:

2 for 2, got clapped by Bogles and Hardened Scales, but ran over Soul Flayer and some Dimir control pile.

Deck seems strong and is a lot of fun. I’m going to copy Ross Merriam/the Grindcast boys and ditch the Ornithopter/Drum package and bring in interaction, Hangarbacks and that new colourless snake. Gingerbrute is a hell of a card.

Whats their list?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tubgoat posted:

I like my foreign cards, they're pretty and I know what they do because they do the same thing as their English counterparts.

I hope that Inkwell Leviathan story is apocryphal, 'cause poo poo like that is the reason I ask "and nothing else?" when my opponent tells me what their non-English card does and I'm not familiar with it.

This is the same community that had someone claim making eye contact counted as passing priority when missing a Vengevine trigger. What does your heart tell you?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chill la Chill posted:

This is the same community that had someone claim making eye contact counted as passing priority when missing a Vengevine trigger. What does your heart tell you?

Didn't the judge agree too? Lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

What's the point of a corpse counter? A comment on a forum I found from a search says:

quote:

Yes - if it were "If that creature would leave the battlefield with a corpse counter on it" or similar, then using the likes of Thrull Parasite would allow you to put cards back into your graveyard in this way and recur them indefinitely, an unwanted interaction for sure.

I don't understand how Thrull Parasite allows you to do that. If Thrull Parasite is removing a counter that doesn't, like, do anything (?), how does that happen? It doesn't say remove a permanent with a counter on it...

Edit: Unrelated, if an ability doesn't tap or untap you can use the ability even if creature has summoning sickness?

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 7, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The corpse counter is just so you remember which creatures she reanimated ten turns later

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Last week I was rummaging through my chaff boxes and I found a Tempest korean Recycle, I don't remember when, how or why I got this card. That's my history with foreign cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

Last week I was rummaging through my chaff boxes and I found a Tempest korean Recycle, I don't remember when, how or why I got this card. That's my history with foreign cards.

Was that one of the packs included with that gift box set they released ~20 years ago? It had a bunch of non-English packs in it and a sweet long box with a bunch of card art on it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Italian Legends was a lot of fun locally when no one had smart phones and the Internet was barely a thing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LifeLynx posted:

Was that one of the packs included with that gift box set they released ~20 years ago? It had a bunch of non-English packs in it and a sweet long box with a bunch of card art on it.

That was Visions.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/BryanGo/status/1192537521336594445

So the Mystery Boosters have a bunch of test cards from years past in them along with a bunch of old cards.

Tasty is a good name for a mechanic IMO.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/rileyquarytower/status/1192536908116766727?s=21

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's like Magic is having a collab with Kingdom of Loathing. I love it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LOL

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
has wizards gone mad with power

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The test cards are cool and good. The rest of the packs being big box store style repacks is LOL

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the test cards look entertaining, they seem mostly like cards that were fun but would be ludicrous to actually have exist

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So... this is just an unset

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

sorta yeah

but cards that are cool, broken as gently caress, or would give people a horrific migraine trying to make work inside the rules instead of funny

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/daniam314/status/1192537989198622721?s=21

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's a cube. They reprinted a bunch of cards and gave them all a little planeswalker symbol in the bottom left corner. They didn't even bother to update the rules text.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

they should actually make this

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the test cards look entertaining, they seem mostly like cards that were fun but would be ludicrous to actually have exist

Scrycast is a sweet mechanic

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So is the test card just like... a joke? are you supposed to play with them?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

They even pasted it over a U/W card...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
whos the artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

So is the test card just like... a joke? are you supposed to play with them?

draft-only or with-friends-only i assume

basically "not legal in vintage"