Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I run my own indexer just in case good ones disappear from the internets.

It's not as good as the good ones out there because who wants to spend the time keeping up on de-obfuscation and regexes and all that poo poo...but it does OK.

I think something like 20% of my fetches still come from my indexer.

(actually most of this post is a lie since I shut down my indexer a couple weeks ago while doing system maintenance stuff and I keep forgetting to go set it back up...but I will)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I had one running for a while as well. With IRC de-obfuscation and crap. Until one day the VM i had it on died a very painful death and I just got too lazy to reinstall. Meh, the online ones work well enough. And I still have spotweb which is very good. The only annoyance with spotweb are the occasional movies that come with embedded dutch subtitles. Other than that, works perfectly fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Volguus posted:

With IRC de-obfuscation and crap.

I never figured out how to do this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Volguus posted:

...the occasional movies that come with embedded dutch subtitles.

The Dutch are the bane of the piracy world. Good English speakers, my arse! At least use soft-encoded, it's not 2004 anymore.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Dutch are the bane of the piracy world. Good English speakers, my arse! At least use soft-encoded, it's not 2004 anymore.

I hate even more the content in French.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New to Usenet. At least since 1994 or so when I posted about paintball.

So is the provider list in the OP still accurate? Any of them better than others? I also have the Xfinity 1TB cap and my idiot kids chew a ton of it up with stupid-rear end Netflix TV shows, so I won't be chugging through 5TB/month or anything.

e: Neat, I found an unlimited "promo" on newshosting for $100 annually, or $8.33/month:
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?package=92

I assume this is a good deal, considering their standard 50GB tier is $10/month?

You can get ThunderNews for $3.50 a month. They resell Newshosting https://www.thundernews.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2019001

You should wait until the Black Friday deals before buying a yearly subscription. You may be able to get that same Newshosting deal for $20-30 yearly. There will also be deals on block accounts which might be good for you if you're not going to be downloading a crazy amount.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
The OP is so old now..looks like he hasn't posted in 3 years. Should someone start a new thread with an updated OP? (I'm not volunteering myself as I'm dumb but just wanted to throw out an idea..)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sedative posted:

You can get ThunderNews for $3.50 a month. They resell Newshosting https://www.thundernews.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2019001

You should wait until the Black Friday deals before buying a yearly subscription. You may be able to get that same Newshosting deal for $20-30 yearly. There will also be deals on block accounts which might be good for you if you're not going to be downloading a crazy amount.

Goddamn, that’s a good deal! I was about to buy the yearly if I didn’t see any replies, so thanks for that. I’ll do a month then see if they have anything cheaper for Black Friday.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

New to Usenet. At least since 1994 or so when I posted about paintball.

So is the provider list in the OP still accurate? Any of them better than others? I also have the Xfinity 1TB cap and my idiot kids chew a ton of it up with stupid-rear end Netflix TV shows, so I won't be chugging through 5TB/month or anything.

e: Neat, I found an unlimited "promo" on newshosting for $100 annually, or $8.33/month:
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?package=92

I assume this is a good deal, considering their standard 50GB tier is $10/month?

Just going to point out here, unless you've got some pretty high download needs you'll likely do better with a block account in terms of cost. 80% of the shows I watch come from usenet and I pay roughly $2/month on average for my block accounts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got everything set up via SABnzbd. Works great, but I rip through downloads and the post-processing takes a damned eternity on a local platter HDD. I have a massive backlog of poo poo it needs to process and each item seems to take a few hours each for 2-4GB files.

Looking at task manager, it seems my HDD is being maxed out and hardly anything on my Ivy Bridge CPU. I assume grabbing an SSD would speed things up on the post-processing end?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Got everything set up via SABnzbd. Works great, but I rip through downloads and the post-processing takes a damned eternity on a local platter HDD. I have a massive backlog of poo poo it needs to process and each item seems to take a few hours each for 2-4GB files.

Looking at task manager, it seems my HDD is being maxed out and hardly anything on my Ivy Bridge CPU. I assume grabbing an SSD would speed things up on the post-processing end?

Yeah, a SSD would be fast, although that seems unusually long, even for a hard disk. I have my usenet stuff setup on a VM and the unpacking is done on the VM (which is using a 2TB HD for its datastore) and then it moves it to my NAS afterwards. That VM is limited to 2GB of ram and 2 cores maximum on an AMD FX-8300 so it's pretty anemic. I have large unpacks take a few minutes but never hours. It may be some weird config issue but definitely check your HD health with crystal disk info and check how much it's reading and writing when its busy. If you're in windows you can use the resource monitor in windows 10 to check what processes are using a lot of the disk.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, a SSD would be fast, although that seems unusually long, even for a hard disk. I have my usenet stuff setup on a VM and the unpacking is done on the VM (which is using a 2TB HD for its datastore) and then it moves it to my NAS afterwards. That VM is limited to 2GB of ram and 2 cores maximum on an AMD FX-8300 so it's pretty anemic. I have large unpacks take a few minutes but never hours. It may be some weird config issue but definitely check your HD health with crystal disk info and check how much it's reading and writing when its busy. If you're in windows you can use the resource monitor in windows 10 to check what processes are using a lot of the disk.

Yeah I do the processing on this local disk, then have it copy to my NAS as well.

The platter disk it’s using was one I replaced from my NAS. It had started to throw a few SMART errors, but nothing insane. It very well could be (and probably is) bad disk health, so replacing it would be good anyway. I don’t store anything important on it, so I haven’t been too speedy at replacing it.

Just ordered a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo. I usually use Intel for my SSDs, but this one seemed to perform just fine from what I’ve read, and the recommendations in SH/SC.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I do the processing on this local disk, then have it copy to my NAS as well.

The platter disk it’s using was one I replaced from my NAS. It had started to throw a few SMART errors, but nothing insane. It very well could be (and probably is) bad disk health, so replacing it would be good anyway. I don’t store anything important on it, so I haven’t been too speedy at replacing it.

Just ordered a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo. I usually use Intel for my SSDs, but this one seemed to perform just fine from what I’ve read, and the recommendations in SH/SC.

I have a half dozen Samsungs SSDs and they've been great. You don't need to use their magician software unless you want to, its primary use is to get the latest firmware on the disk.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Was the drive a shingled drive? Those tend to get extremely slow.

Also, Samsung SSDs are a pretty bad deal overall, you're definitely overpaying for the brand name with them - something like the the Adata SU800 would be a good alternative. Consider you're buying a drive that's going to wear out pretty quickly, with tons of write operations. The SU800 offers quite a bit better endurance than the 860 Evo at a cheaper price.

Current Intel SSDs are pretty low-end, the only notable one is the Intel 660p 2 TB (that's an NVMe drive). Not recommended for write-heavy operations, but great as a secondary storage for games, for example - but only if you can get it for cheap.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lambert posted:

Was the drive a shingled drive? Those tend to get extremely slow.

Also, Samsung SSDs are a pretty bad deal overall, you're definitely overpaying for the brand name with them - something like the the Adata SU800 would be a good alternative. Consider you're buying a drive that's going to wear out pretty quickly, with tons of write operations. The SU800 offers quite a bit better endurance than the 860 Evo at a cheaper price.

Current Intel SSDs are pretty low-end, the only notable one is the Intel 660p 2 TB (that's an NVMe drive). Not recommended for write-heavy operations, but great as a secondary storage for games, for example - but only if you can get it for cheap.

You know, I never even thought about the lifespan with all the writes.

Unfortunately, my PC is about 8 years old, so no NVMe slot there. 2.5s only. Looks like the Adata one is 20-30 cheaper. Maybe I’ll grab that one and use the Samsung for my OS drive since my current one is only 128gb and I’m constantly having to clear poo poo off it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unfortunately, my PC is about 8 years old, so no NVMe slot there. 2.5s only. Looks like the Adata one is 20-30 cheaper. Maybe I’ll grab that one and use the Samsung for my OS drive since my current one is only 128gb and I’m constantly having to clear poo poo off it.
NVMe is just a protocol for accessing flash storage (or potentially other similar media) over a PCI Express bus. While most consumer-market NVMe drives are in M.2 card format they can also be found in 2.5" and rarely 3.5" sizes using U.2 or SATA Express connectors, as well as just directly in a full PCIe card format. Theoretically one could be made for the old MiniPCIe format that predated M.2 but due lack of demand and the 1x lane limit I doubt it'll ever happen.

You can pick up adapters for a couple of bucks that fit in a normal PCIe slot and convert it to one or more M.2 slots, so as long as you have a free 4x or larger PCIe slot you can use NVMe drives (technically it should work the same, just slower, with 1x slots but I don't believe anyone makes an adapter for that so it'd only work if you had a motherboard with open-ended 1x slots).

Every major OS gained support for NVMe some time between 2012 and 2015, the only real catch is that if you want to boot from it you need support from your motherboard. AFAIK nothing older than the 9 series chipsets (2014) has official support for NVMe booting on the Intel side, no idea about the AMD side. People have figured out how to install the driver from newer boards on older boards with AMI UEFI firmware on both sides of the fence though, so there is still a chance.

Of course it's always an option to boot from a SATA SSD and just use the NVMe one to store whatever you consider performance sensitive.

edit: Also while I haven't ever used that particular model, I have had absolutely horrible luck with ADATA SSDs. My company installed a few dozen of their entry level model about two years ago and most of them have either failed without warning or degraded to a state of performance reminiscent of those 4200-5400 RPM variable speed power saving laptop hard drives. Obviously we're not expecting miraculous things out of cheap hardware but continuing to work and remaining faster than spinning rust aren't exactly high bars to clear.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone know what the tag .ABMC. refers to? Guessing it’s a web service, but I don’t recognize the initials.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

NVMe is just a protocol for accessing flash storage (or potentially other similar media) over a PCI Express bus. While most consumer-market NVMe drives are in M.2 card format they can also be found in 2.5" and rarely 3.5" sizes using U.2 or SATA Express connectors, as well as just directly in a full PCIe card format. Theoretically one could be made for the old MiniPCIe format that predated M.2 but due lack of demand and the 1x lane limit I doubt it'll ever happen.

You can pick up adapters for a couple of bucks that fit in a normal PCIe slot and convert it to one or more M.2 slots, so as long as you have a free 4x or larger PCIe slot you can use NVMe drives (technically it should work the same, just slower, with 1x slots but I don't believe anyone makes an adapter for that so it'd only work if you had a motherboard with open-ended 1x slots).

Every major OS gained support for NVMe some time between 2012 and 2015, the only real catch is that if you want to boot from it you need support from your motherboard. AFAIK nothing older than the 9 series chipsets (2014) has official support for NVMe booting on the Intel side, no idea about the AMD side. People have figured out how to install the driver from newer boards on older boards with AMI UEFI firmware on both sides of the fence though, so there is still a chance.

Of course it's always an option to boot from a SATA SSD and just use the NVMe one to store whatever you consider performance sensitive.

edit: Also while I haven't ever used that particular model, I have had absolutely horrible luck with ADATA SSDs. My company installed a few dozen of their entry level model about two years ago and most of them have either failed without warning or degraded to a state of performance reminiscent of those 4200-5400 RPM variable speed power saving laptop hard drives. Obviously we're not expecting miraculous things out of cheap hardware but continuing to work and remaining faster than spinning rust aren't exactly high bars to clear.

Yeah sorry I meant no M2 slot.

This is a good post. Thanks for the info!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

wolrah posted:

Their entry level drives are DRAM-less, you generally want to avoid those from any manufacturer, as they offer only terrible performance. I'm not sure what your IT department expected to happen. With modern (slow) QLC drives like the Intel 660p, it's well in the realm of possibility for long, sustained writes do drop below HDD sustained speeds. That's why a large cache is so important (and, with the 660p in particular, it's not recommended to use it as an OS drive and you shouldn't buy any capacity below 2 TB).

ADATA's higher-level SSDs are great. The ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (NVMe), in particular, is a great buy if you're into fast but affordable drives.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 12, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lambert posted:

Their entry level drives are DRAM-less, you generally want to avoid those from any manufacturer, as they offer only terrible performance. I'm not sure what your IT department expected to happen. With modern (slow) QLC drives like the Intel 660p, it's well in the realm of possibility for long, sustained writes do drop below HDD sustained speeds. That's why a large cache is so important (and, with the 660p in particular, it's not recommended to use it as an OS drive and you shouldn't buy any capacity below 2 TB).

ADATA's higher-level SSDs are great. The ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (NVMe), in particular, is a great buy if you're into fast but affordable drives.

The issues with the 660p are overblown. I have a 2TB one as the only storage in my system and it’s plenty fast and very convenient. It’s faster than the 2 RAID 0 500gb 850 evo SATAs it replaced.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I suspect there are some variables that could be tuned to improve the filesystem performance, have you looked around for disk performance threads that are relevant to your setup?

What hypervisor (esx, hyperv, etc) are you using, is the disk a pass through or virtual disk, what is the guest os, and (if applicable) what is the host os?

Edit: that said, I would suggest replacing a disk throwing smart errors before doing anything else.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 12, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok yeah, the new SSD is post-processing shows almost instantly (with unpack while downloading is enabled). I checked the SMART on my old platter HDD and it did indeed have re-allocated sectors and whatnot, so disk health was definitely the issue.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EvilMoFo posted:

I suspect there are some variables that could be tuned to improve the filesystem performance, have you looked around for disk performance threads that are relevant to your setup?

What hypervisor (esx, hyperv, etc) are you using, is the disk a pass through or virtual disk, what is the guest os, and (if applicable) what is the host os?

Edit: that said, I would suggest replacing a disk throwing smart errors before doing anything else.

My shingled drives got down to ~10-20 MB/s when push came to shove, with some drive types all hope is lost. It's why I completely moved off of anything shingled, just a terrible drive type.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Man I am having an awful time getting a series to download which subject matter deals with a child's collectible card game. My kids want it but I can't figure out how to get it into sonarr to get anything to start coming down. Anyone conquer this before?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Here's an interesting bit of history for those of you who don't remember or weren't old enough for the early days of usenet.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Syano posted:

Man I am having an awful time getting a series to download which subject matter deals with a child's collectible card game. My kids want it but I can't figure out how to get it into sonarr to get anything to start coming down. Anyone conquer this before?

Is it considered an anime? If so you have to set up your indexers with the proper anime category (usually 5070) and when you add the series you have to select "anime" under the series type dropdown.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I just grabbed a show and all of the episodes show "g33k" in the title of the metadata (MKV files). I get it, credit where credit is due, but this is just kinda tasteless. When I play it in VLC it shows up on the bottom in huge rear end font.

I tried removing it in Explorer properties but it's not one of the metadata pieces that I can remove. What's the best way to remove them? This is for a 10 season 25 episode/season show..

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Bank posted:

I just grabbed a show and all of the episodes show "g33k" in the title of the metadata (MKV files). I get it, credit where credit is due, but this is just kinda tasteless. When I play it in VLC it shows up on the bottom in huge rear end font.

I tried removing it in Explorer properties but it's not one of the metadata pieces that I can remove. What's the best way to remove them? This is for a 10 season 25 episode/season show..

If you view the metadata in VLC, does it show what tag it belongs to?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you view the metadata in VLC, does it show what tag it belongs to?

Yes, it's "Title"

I've tried removing it from there and it just reappears when I hit save :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It's really just a band-aid on the problem, but you could just untick the 'show media title on video start' in VLC if that's the only place it's bothering you.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Failing that you can use a tool like https://mkvtoolnix.download/

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
mkvtoolnix comes with mkvpropedit. From a command line you can do mkvpropedit --delete title "whatever.mkv" to get rid of it

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Is it considered an anime? If so you have to set up your indexers with the proper anime category (usually 5070) and when you add the series you have to select "anime" under the series type dropdown.

That did the trick. Thanks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone got a legit Disney+ sub? If so, does it tell you what resolution you’re getting? Just curious as everything that came out after Mandalorian episode 1 the other day looks like it’s 720p at its highest. Curious if they’ve capped resolution to deal with the influx.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone got a legit Disney+ sub? If so, does it tell you what resolution you’re getting? Just curious as everything that came out after Mandalorian episode 1 the other day looks like it’s 720p at its highest. Curious if they’ve capped resolution to deal with the influx.

I haven't watched a TON of stuff on it yet, but there is a whole category of 4k HDR content and what I've tried has been legit 4k HDR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's the weird thing, people reported back at the beginning about the unexpected 4K stuff, but as far as I can see (beyond Usenet too) is 720p copies for the 5 active shows episodes 1 and 2 beyond Mandalorian episode 1 which had 1080p/4K rips.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I got the three year bundle. It tells you the video specs on the show page but it's dependent on device you're using. So for example on my iPad it will say HD and Dolby vision. On my Apple TV it will show 4K Dolby Vision. I'm at work or else I'd post a screen shot of what I'm talking about on my iPad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

DogNZB has it in 1080p and 4K as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How much of an advantage is it to have multiple indexers? I have one and haven’t had many issues beyond Sonarr saying certain shows are blacklisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Can't hurt to add a free one but there's no need to pay for another if you're not having missing stuff or long waits on releases you know exist.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that's the weird thing, people reported back at the beginning about the unexpected 4K stuff, but as far as I can see (beyond Usenet too) is 720p copies for the 5 active shows episodes 1 and 2 beyond Mandalorian episode 1 which had 1080p/4K rips.
I believe there's some lag or something on the scene releases. It also took days to get a 720p release of Mando ep 1 so I think it's just going to be rocky for the first few weeks. The original movies have 1080p rips but AFAIK all the rips of non-Mando shows are 720p. To be clear, I'm talking about rips not the actual shows. I'm sure if D+ says it's in FullHD or 4K it is.