Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As with the book, IT chapter 2 is inferior to It chapter 1 and it’s just not very scary imo. I will say it didn’t feel like a 3 hour movie to me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Is Castle Rock S2 connected to season one? I kinda gave up on the show halfway through the first season (I vaguely recall reading summaries of what happened but don't remember the details), wondering if I could pick it back up since it seems to have a different cast and story this time around?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Is Castle Rock S2 connected to season one? I kinda gave up on the show halfway through the first season (I vaguely recall reading summaries of what happened but don't remember the details), wondering if I could pick it back up since it seems to have a different cast and story this time around?

pick it back up

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Castle Rock was good, but someone else mentioned that you don't remember anything from it 5 minutes later and that's pretty much the truth. I'm not quite sure what makes it so ethereal because it's not boring. Maybe it had too many story lines.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really recent but "From a Buick 88" is a blatant re-write of "Christine"

Except it wasn't good.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Mister Kingdom posted:

Except it wasn't good.

I liked it. It's a slow burn for sure, but I like the weird and unexplained poo poo happening to normal people stories.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

The Berzerker posted:

I've heard a couple off-hand comments linking them but it does seem to be a separate story. It's also really good, the first episode of season 2 especially is amazing.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Best line of episode 2 - "you better be sick or dead in there, I poo poo you not!"

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I want to try some Stephen King but I'd quite like to read something that hasn't been made for the screen. Is there anything left out there that's good and hasn't been made into a tv show or a film?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The DPRK posted:

I want to try some Stephen King but I'd quite like to read something that hasn't been made for the screen. Is there anything left out there that's good and hasn't been made into a tv show or a film?

Try the short story collections (Night Shift or Skeleton Crew) or Long Walk from the Bachman Books collection, but novels? I guess Revival might best thing left that hasn’t been touched for the screen (better hurry cause that will change).

That said don’t let the movies/mini-series stop you from reading his best works.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
There's a reason that his best works have been remade into movies multiple times. A good story is a good story, even if the movie sucks rear end.

I just noticed that Eyes of the Dragon is in pre-production as a Hulu series. Seth Grahame-Smith, who executive produced the King adaptations It and It Chapter Two, is writing the pilot and will serve as showrunner.

April
Jul 3, 2006

The DPRK posted:

I'm partial to Duma Key, myself. It's definitely an odd story, but I love me some Wireman, and art/mythology stuff. Rose Madder is good for that vibe too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Revival is probably your best bet, but that's a weird restriction. Like 90% of King's bibliography has been adapted in one form or another, and you'll miss out on all of his best stuff. You can just ignore the movies, lord knows most of his readers do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The DPRK posted:

nate fisher posted:

Try the short story collections (Night Shift or Skeleton Crew) or Long Walk from the Bachman Books collection, but novels? I guess Revival might best thing left that hasn’t been touched for the screen (better hurry cause that will change).

That said don’t let the movies/mini-series stop you from reading his best works.

I thought I had an answer locked and loaded but was suprised to see just how many of his books had made the screen. Guess I shouldn't have been but I'd never really thought about it.

nate fisher nailed it though.

But also know that even several short stories have been adapted as well.

So, yeah, go read The Long Walk. It's fantastic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The DPRK posted:

The Long Walk (by Richard Bachman)

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Nice one, thank you all.

I will get round to his other stuff if I like these recs. I'm just finishing up LOTR and while I'm enjoying it, I'm finding myself picturing a lot of the scenes from the films (also, time and again I keep thinking I wished that I was reading this for the first time and I didn't know what was going to happen).

I want to try and avoid that next time round and see what my imagination creates with only the words as a cue.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone been watching the Creepshow the series?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The DPRK posted:

Salem’s Lot was made into a TV movie in the 1970’s so that’s as good as never been adapted.

It’s also one of this best books. I really enjoyed his take on vampires (much better than Dr Sleep’s).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yes. It's two segments per episode and they're mostly good to great with no outright stinkers (yet). It does a pretty good job of capturing the tone of the movies without being a parody. Evidently it's a huge hit for Shudder.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's been pretty good, the best part is they're all short and don't wear out their welcome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The DPRK posted:

Nice one, thank you all.

I will get round to his other stuff if I like these recs. I'm just finishing up LOTR and while I'm enjoying it, I'm finding myself picturing a lot of the scenes from the films (also, time and again I keep thinking I wished that I was reading this for the first time and I didn't know what was going to happen).

I want to try and avoid that next time round and see what my imagination creates with only the words as a cue.

I mean, have you actually watched the ABC adaptation of The Stand?

A lot of the overall look of the LOTR movies came from people who have been doing LOTR illustrations for years/decades, so really what changed for me, a lot of what does take over when I re-read LOTR, is the faces of the actors who have done a good job embodying the characters.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
His next book drops in May. It's four novellas. If It Bleeds

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

escape artist posted:

His next book drops in May. It's four novellas. If It Bleeds

https://www.amazon.com/If-Bleeds-Stephen-King/dp/1982137975/

That's... a quote from Predator?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I mean, have you actually watched the ABC adaptation of The Stand?

What really weirded me out about that is that I read it for the first time a couple of years before the miniseries was even announced, and Gary Sinise was an exact 100% match for how I pictured Stu

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Yeah I’ve been reading the Stand and have never seen the series, but I’m still in the part where everyone is getting horribly sick and it’s very descriptive

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That’s the best part. King does a fantastic job of describing a society breaking down from the inside.

Also Sinise was a great Stu, but I will never see Nick as Rob Lowe. That was a terrible casting choice. The whole thing was bad except for playing Don’t Fear The Reaper at the military base.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Sinise was a great Stu, but I will never see Nick as Rob Lowe. That was a terrible casting choice. The whole thing was bad except for playing Don’t Fear The Reaper at the military base.

Great use of the song. Almost as good as the Johnny Cash into in Dawn of the Dead (2004).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHXcJdoRdo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the best part of the miniseries is when Dana goes to use her Assassin's Creed-rear end forearm blade and Flagg turns it into a banana that corny poo poo is so good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What really weirded me out about that is that I read it for the first time a couple of years before the miniseries was even announced, and Gary Sinise was an exact 100% match for how I pictured Stu

I had totally pictured the big dude from "Coach" as Tom Moon when I had read the book years before the miniseries.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The Stand miniseries starts out pretty good and gets worse as it goes on, but most of the casting is great. I loved Ray Walston as Glen Bateman.

I just looked at the cast for the 2020 version and Glen Bateman is played by... Greg Kinnear. :confused: Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail rules though.

Edit: Biggest beef with the 2020 version is that they've once again cast a skinny person as Harold Lauder.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lester Shy posted:

Edit: Biggest beef with the 2020 version is that they've once again cast a skinny person as Harold Lauder.

Maybe they'll start him off in a fat suit?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

Great use of the song. Almost as good as the Johnny Cash into in Dawn of the Dead (2004).

The opening credits are better than the whole movie and the movie wasn’t bad.

The company that made it is called Prologue Films and it looks like all they do are title sequences.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So nobody here saw Dr Sleep?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Don't think it's out yet.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

That's just a really really loving good song, though. I actually don't think it's all that good in the sense of "being used exceptionally well," I mean, it's a very good opening sequence and a very good song, but in truth I actually don't truly think they go as well together as it seemed at first... Part of it is probably my own biases, in terms of really liking Johnny Cash and really disliking Zack Snyder and that remake. Also, to be frank, I thought the frenetic editing in that opening sequence was distracting and didn't work at all with the song... But then, I thought his infamous credits sequence for 'Watchmen' with Dylan's "Times They Are-a-Changin'" was fantastic and that everything went together beautifully - that was a great use of the song, and the pacing of the shots flowed with the music. This one seemed forced and haughty. Again, though.. Could just be me, your mileage may vary. Great song, regardless.

Here's my favorite musical opening sequence ever from a film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54YhQZN5Uq8

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

So nobody here saw Dr Sleep?

I don’t think anybody read it either!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I’m just joking. I’m sure it sold well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Don't think it's out yet.

Well that would make sense. I had read several reviews so assumed it was out and had just bombed spectacularly

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BiggerBoat posted:

Well that would make sense. I had read several reviews so assumed it was out and had just bombed spectacularly

It's out in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's out in Europe.

Got it.

Here's an AV Club write up comparing the book(s) to the film(s) if anyone's interested. Contains spoilers.

https://film.avclub.com/as-a-film-doctor-sleep-could-only-exist-at-the-interse-1839671918

I don't know. I didn't hate the book (Dr. Sleep) but it seemed unnecessary, shoved a bunch of psychic vampires in there for some reason, was largely forgettable and really didn't even read like a sequel. I'm one of those who love both the book and the film of the original The Shining but overall think I prefer the film. Most of what I'm reading about this movie doesn't get me that interested in seeing it int he least and I slot the whole she-bang as something that didn't need a sequel at all or require any more exploration.

As a sequel, Dr. Sleep's connections to the The Shining are tenuous at best and it felt like I was reading a story that was just sort of shoved into that world rather than inspired by it. A grown up Danny could have been interesting but wasn't something I felt I needed to delve into or desired.

I honestly can't think of a King novel that I wanted a sequel to. Or a movie for that matter.