Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DustyNuts posted:

After many years in Virginia Beach (2014-present) I have the opportunity to PCS somewhere else. My wife and I are from San Diego. We've NEVER been stationed there and were hoping for the chance to make it happen. We have a 9 yo daughter and a 10-week old son. We have family in SD and my wife would have employment opportunities there (she's a Medical Lab Tech), but alas, there is gently caress all on CMSID this cycle for anything on the West Coast AKA best coast.

However, there is a command in Sasebo, Japan on the list. It's been gapped for a long loving time. I get the feeling that if I ask for it, I'll get it. We've been overseas before. Sigonella, Italy and Rota, Spain for a total of 4 1/2 years between them. We enjoyed the experience (rose-colored glasses) while acknowledging that we're cutting family off from seeing the kids. That part sucks. But god drat, we will never have another opportunity to live in Japan.

Any of you dudes that have experience in Japan, tell me if we should apply? The billet is Sea Duty, but it's at the staff level at a squadron instead of being on a ship.

Not a sailor but I spent three years on an amphib out of Sasebo and it was a fantastic
experience. The base itself is small and the housing is split between main base and Hario. I was given an option between the two and picked Hario because the apartment was bigger and the elementary school out there was nicer. It's a thirty minute drive that will cost you between a dollar and a dollar fifty in tolls depending on the size of your car.

I am not super spun up on Navy commands but it sounds like you'd be a part of the phibron staff staying on the big deck. Op tempo is kind of high but the ships are usually only out for around 90 days at a time. While there I spent around fifty percent of my time at sea and managed to hit a lot of really cool ports all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

After many years in Virginia Beach (2014-present) I have the opportunity to PCS somewhere else. My wife and I are from San Diego. We've NEVER been stationed there and were hoping for the chance to make it happen. We have a 9 yo daughter and a 10-week old son. We have family in SD and my wife would have employment opportunities there (she's a Medical Lab Tech), but alas, there is gently caress all on CMSID this cycle for anything on the West Coast AKA best coast.

However, there is a command in Sasebo, Japan on the list. It's been gapped for a long loving time. I get the feeling that if I ask for it, I'll get it. We've been overseas before. Sigonella, Italy and Rota, Spain for a total of 4 1/2 years between them. We enjoyed the experience (rose-colored glasses) while acknowledging that we're cutting family off from seeing the kids. That part sucks. But god drat, we will never have another opportunity to live in Japan.

Any of you dudes that have experience in Japan, tell me if we should apply? The billet is Sea Duty, but it's at the staff level at a squadron instead of being on a ship.

A lot of the Japan billets are listed as sea duty but they won't actually go to sea, they'll just work long as gently caress hours (apparently there's some detail fuckery you can work in sea/shore rotations where FDNF counts for sea time). I doubt as a chief you'd be actually going out with a helicopter det to the ship, in several years as a crypto keeper at HSM-51 in Atsugi our admin chief never went out with the det, you'd be working in admin on shore. He worked fairly long hours though, was in by 0600 and left around 1600-1700 pretty much every day.

Is it worth it? Depends. Japan is cool as hell to explore, and the command would be extremely glad to have you I think if they've been gapped for 4.5 years. That said there's the whole problem of when a junior sailor fucks up in Japan everyone pays the price up and down the chain, and it happens often, sadly.

I still had a great time in Japan, and I'd recommend a tour there if you've never been, just be mindful of your junior enlisted gremlins potentially causing trouble, and try to steer them away from poo poo that can wind up with them making bad life choices. They're adults but a lot of them have never been out of their home states let alone to another country, and the temptation to do stupid poo poo is strong, with cheap and available booze right off base.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 27, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just found out my future ship is certainly in dry dock just not in the continent I was told it was in. Was looking forward to an ocean crossing oh well.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I would certainly hope that ship is not in a continent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

I would certainly hope that ship is not in a continent.

Y’all talk about ships giving you the poops so I guess it works.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Just found out my future ship is certainly in dry dock just not in the continent I was told it was in. Was looking forward to an ocean crossing oh well.

Ah yes, the navy is catching up to you. Sorry crab man, I was looking forward to stories from the med.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ah yes, the navy is catching up to you. Sorry crab man, I was looking forward to stories from the med.

Oh it’s in the Med. I was suppose to join in in Norfolk but my detailer somehow got the wrong info on where it’s being dry docked. My LPO contacted me and informed me it’s not going back to the states any time soon. So less time in Norfolk more in Europe.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1189200421295923202?s=19

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A better mascot, however, is a goat. They proudly represent THE MESS: hard headed, stupid, and enthusiastic to subsist on trash

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mess with the goat you get the horns

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

And we had another suicide. That's four in 26 months. Anything and everything else I could say would be inappropriate for this venue.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

And we had another suicide. That's four in 26 months. Anything and everything else I could say would be inappropriate for this venue.

3 in Maryland alone this month too.

For fucks sakes.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Just started the process to go into the Reserves as a SWO. I've been a civilian for over 2 years now.

Yeah I'm stupid.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Just started the process to go into the Reserves as a SWO. I've been a civilian for over 2 years now.

Yeah I'm stupid.

Congrats on becoming an OIC of an OSU at your NOSC. I hope you're atleast close enough to retirement to make it a good idea to come back in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah I'm stupid.

:hug:

One of (noble)us! One of (noble)us!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah I'm stupid.

You hate to see it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

:hug:

One of (noble)us! One of (noble)us!

Prior edawg. But yeah.

Also can't wait to mob to Djibouti or GTMO. Two areas the active duty is too smart to get involved in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Prior edawg. But yeah.

Also can't wait to mob to Djibouti or GTMO. Two areas the active duty is too smart to get involved in.

Seriously yo. Like fully 75% of my community ends up in Djibouti. gently caress that if I got an option.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

3 in Maryland alone this month too.

For fucks sakes.

Wait, you're near DC again? Get on Slack!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wait, you're near DC again? Get on Slack!

Nah i wish. loving loved being a visitor out there. The three are from my community so we heard about them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Awards quarters was cancelled, looking forward to being told to "police our troops" better after this latest suicide

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Nah i wish. loving loved being a visitor out there. The three are from my community so we heard about them.

Yeah. I worked directly with one. Great dude. Super brilliant. Reverse engineering loving master with a great sense of humor when stuff went sideways.

Was hanging out with another friend of mine just the previous weekend. No clue what caused it but I guess he had his demons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Yeah. I worked directly with one. Great dude. Super brilliant. Reverse engineering loving master with a great sense of humor when stuff went sideways.

Was hanging out with another friend of mine just the previous weekend. No clue what caused it but I guess he had his demons.

Man that’s terrible. I had my driver from my armored truck days commit suicide the day after we completed his training to get a promotion. I had been working with this dude for 6 months 10+ hours a day and it took me completely by surprise.

gently caress.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Seriously yo. Like fully 75% of my community ends up in Djibouti. gently caress that if I got an option.

What is the mission there? I heard you live in a conex box.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

It could be worse.

Howard Phillips posted:

What is the mission there? I heard you live in a conex box.

Currently living in a conex box, yeah. Although supposedly by this time next year most of the Navy IA billets at HOA will be replaced by active duty Army.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It could be worse.

Currently living in a conex box, yeah. Although supposedly by this time next year most of the Navy IA billets at HOA will be replaced by active duty Army.

Let's hope so.

Honestly I would love to mob to C5F as a surface planner. In my current career as a DC pol-mil guy that would dovetail well and be a nice break from flying a desk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It could be worse.

I did a 6 month stint there. It wasn't that bad. Then again I was drunk half the time time so there is that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/GiantCat9/status/1192520905718685698

Ha, got those perfidious Dutch

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh firehose wars? I’d be afraid of doing that against the US due to collision concerns.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Look, we don't hit other MILITARY ships. Just giant rear end cargo ships.

Also, gently caress DTS. Trying to book a trip overseas, and the only hotels available in the system were two hours away in the capital. gently caress no not doing that. I can see that there are hotels in the city I need to be, and even then, apparently everything is unavailable. Even though I can book the necessary dates through google.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If there is anything the navy is good at its loving around. I’d expect the ships playing fire hose wars to be 10x more on the ball than anything else around.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I think the last time a CG was involved in a collision was when a sub thought it would be cute to roleplay as a speed bump.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Look, we don't hit other MILITARY ships. Just giant rear end cargo ships.

Also, gently caress DTS. Trying to book a trip overseas, and the only hotels available in the system were two hours away in the capital. gently caress no not doing that. I can see that there are hotels in the city I need to be, and even then, apparently everything is unavailable. Even though I can book the necessary dates through google.

Can’t find anything close definitely call sato.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I think the last time a CG was involved in a collision was when a sub thought it would be cute to roleplay as a speed bump.

One of the CGs bumped a USNS ship last year after an unrep.

And already spoke with Sato. I still ended up having to ask for a hotel that's around a 40 minute commute one way which I'm less than happy about. At least the hotel is right next to the train line, but it's over per diem, so they might tell me to ask for another hotel. I guess I'm just frustrated by the fact that I can see one of the hotels right by the base open, but Sato told me that there were no availabilities next to the base, and even the tourist town down the beach doesn't have anything open according to them. The folks I work with suggested that I just write that I'd procure lodging once there, but DTS did not like that answer.

I've also been helping out with the command PFA, which while interesting, has been tiring. Sorry for the bitching and moaning.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 8, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m actually a little gratified that officers have just as many problems as enlisted with travel so no worries.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
True. But an officer can actually afford to pay for it out of pocket if they really need to.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Valley Stared posted:

The folks I work with suggested that I just write that I'd procure lodging once there, but DTS did not like that answer.

What exactly doesn't DTS like about it? If the DTS options don't support what you need to do you should be able to book it yourself, leave it blank in DTS, and add a justification explaining why. Go yell at the approving official if they give you any pushback on it.

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm actually a little gratified that officers have just as many problems as enlisted with travel so no worries.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

What exactly doesn't DTS like about it? If the DTS options don't support what you need to do you should be able to book it yourself, leave it blank in DTS, and add a justification explaining why. Go yell at the approving official if they give you any pushback on it.

The answer I got was that they couldn't finish booking the trip unless I had lodging in it as well, despite my already providing justification for not booking any. DTS was already giving the group I'm with hassle about not booking the cheapest flights until we explained that there was no way that we could make our international flight with the time the layover gave us. At least they finally shut up about that.

The main reason I'm going on this trip is because I have at least another year and a half plus at this command, and the director of our department wants someone around that knows the area/procedures when this trip comes up again next year. I'll also be teaching some of the material, but more than anything it's telling the next guy "take this train, go to this building, get this pass" so he's not going into it blind.

And I could certainly afford to get a hotel on my own dime if necessary. That's one thing I always get irrationally angry at is when you folks post that you've been screwed out of your money because they didn't want to pay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Took me a couple years but I finally found a chief who figured out why I owed 4K at the end of some ancient orders. Turns out I got a reduced lodging rate due to the length of orders and I was suppose to take it upon myself to tell my hotel to reduce my room rental.

Silly Brand New E4 me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
You are 100% allowed to book whatever is required then do what the gently caress ever you want and you can get reimbursed up to the cost of what was approved.

If you can get a hotel below the perdiem rate you can do it yourself, just book whatever gets you through the process then call the hotel and cancel with them directly.