Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Ardent Communist posted:

Plus, the guy had an unabashed love of tits. He'd specifically mention giving it a better review if the movie had nice ones. I mean, there might be some problems with that in the women's liberation sense, but it's pretty funny to me.

He wrote a few sexploitation films in the 70s so it lines up.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065466/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Please tell me his autobiography was titled "I Have No Mouth and I Must Suck Big Ol' Titties."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Try listening to any of the Melvins albums they did with the guys from Big Business. 2 drummers, one lefty and one righty, sharing the floor toms.

edit I'm trying to think of an overheard mic setup for that. I'm thinking sort of like XY but with 3 mics, one each pointed like 110 degrees apart and one straight down

I don't know that record. When I've been on sessions with 2 drummers they were recorded with different setups. It seems like the only way. Side by side with the same overheads would be fruitless. I'd share a stereo room mic. Mono Overheads.

Never worry about the degrees. That won't matter. View it all as 'stereo' and no version will pick up much more than the rest. And XY shouldn't go beyond 90ø anyway.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Rewatching The Matrix. I never noticed before the parallels between Neo's first meeting with Morpheus, and his first meeting with Smith. They're both sitting directly opposite him, and Smith is giving Neo the exact same choice Morpheus does with the pills. 'In one life you're Thomas Anderson, in another you're Neo. One of these lives has a future, the other does not'.

Totally. Every movie has this scene and he only breaks the third meeting's pattern when he realizes that he can break the causality of getting in these situations because of his ability to exercise free will to not accept the choices presented as absolutes. That's why his life is the sum of the remainder of blah blah blah inherent to the programming of the matrix, because the unsolvable variable is free will

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Totally. Every movie has this scene and he only breaks the third meeting's pattern when he realizes that he can break the causality of getting in these situations because of his ability to exercise free will to not accept the choices presented as absolutes. That's why his life is the sum of the remainder of blah blah blah inherent to the programming of the matrix, because the unsolvable variable is free will

Or more likely the Wachowskis just forgot about it, it's an equally viable theory given how terrible it was

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Rewatching The Matrix. I never noticed before the parallels between Neo's first meeting with Morpheus, and his first meeting with Smith. They're both sitting directly opposite him, and Smith is giving Neo the exact same choice Morpheus does with the pills. 'In one life you're Thomas Anderson, in another you're Neo. One of these lives has a future, the other does not'.

Oh yeah, it’s the choice of staying closeted and assisting the cisheteronormative patriarchy or becoming your true self and embracing your trans identity.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Ape of Naples posted:

I don't know that record. When I've been on sessions with 2 drummers they were recorded with different setups. It seems like the only way. Side by side with the same overheads would be fruitless. I'd share a stereo room mic. Mono Overheads.

Never worry about the degrees. That won't matter. View it all as 'stereo' and no version will pick up much more than the rest. And XY shouldn't go beyond 90ø anyway.

On the first album with that setup, A Senile Animal, they definitely did one drummer more close-miced and one more roomy although I'm not sure the specific techniques.

On recording nerd chat, I've always wanted to try Blumlein M/S style stereo micing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I still remember the giggle fit I had when I realized that him being The One was basically him being the remainder left over in that big loving equation that the wordy guy talked about. He's literally The One. The single remainder left over that keeps the equation from being perfectly balanced.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Oh yeah, it’s the choice of staying closeted and assisting the cisheteronormative patriarchy or becoming your true self and embracing your trans identity.

Extremely subtle movie moment since it didn’t actually make it into the final film: the character Switch was supposed to be male in the real world and then female inside the matrix.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

beanieson posted:

Extremely subtle movie moment since it didn’t actually make it into the final film: the character Switch was supposed to be male in the real world and then female inside the matrix.
That's why she says "not like this" before she dies - she wants to be remembered as her true gender, not the one she was assigned at birth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or if this is the new Brad Pitt can't read

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do the "terrorist" heroes in The Matrix even kill anyone who isn't a cop or a soldier?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm sure there was some collateral deaths when they blew up that lobby. And when the helicopter crashed.

In The Matrix Reloaded you can bet a lot of innocent people died during the highway chase. That said, that was the best action scene in the movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not sure if calling Neo a "program writer" is dated language or just a weird script.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not sure if calling Neo a "program writer" is dated language or just a weird script.

Maybe that was the whole purpose of the Matrix. Stick millions of humans into a “simulation” where they work in endless cubicles, debugging your glitchy “Programs”/NPCs, which they think is a fuckin’ video game or Java program or some poo poo.

>90% of humanity works white collar debugging jobs. You want to be a philosophy major? They flush you and clone a new programmer.

Ticket: ghosts keep going immaterial, then floating into the sun and getting stuck
Fix: turn off their explosion immunity so they reset to spawn locations if they get blown up

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Genuinely can't tell if you're being serious or if this is the new Brad Pitt can't read
The Matrix is a film entirely about trans people.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pilchenstein posted:

The Matrix is a film entirely about trans people.

Knowing what we know now, it's amazing how much Smith sinks his teeth into "Mister Anderson" when he constantly uses Neo's assigned name instead of the one he has chosen for his new life.

A related subtle thing: Neo's first name is spoken in the movie, but most people (myself included) can't remember it because Smith always uses a gendered title to refer to him. Then the climax of the big fight at the end counters with "my name is Neo" right before he jumps off the tracks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Hatter posted:

Knowing what we know now, it's amazing how much Smith sinks his teeth into "Mister Anderson" when he constantly uses Neo's assigned name instead of the one he has chosen for his new life.

A related subtle thing: Neo's first name is spoken in the movie, but most people (myself included) can't remember it because Smith always uses a gendered title to refer to him. Then the climax of the big fight at the end counters with "my name is Neo" right before he jumps off the tracks.

Haha, I was struggling to remember what it was, and then (after I looked it up, even IMDB lists him as 'Neo'), I saw that it was Thomas or Tom, and then remembered finding it funny that he shared the same name with Beavis and Butthead's boomer neighbour, who was an early version of Hank Hill.

"Hwhackin' in m'tool shed"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I guess it's not subtle if you know Biblical things, but "Thomas" is a significant name because that was the apostle that doubted Jesus returned from the dead until he examined Christ's wounds in person. Similar to Neo not believing the Matrix is real until he sees it himself.

And "Anderson" translating to "son of man," setting Neo up as the savior of The Matrix.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If the Matrix reboot (or is it a pseudo sequel??) drops the trans issues in favor of being a plain sci-fi shooter, I will loving riot.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
No joke, when the Wachoskis came out as trans it made the Matrix films retroactively 100 times better. I was really ignorant of a lot of things in 99, but Switch is now so obviously non-binary. Their name is Switch for fucks sake.

CityMidnightJunky has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Nov 8, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Inzombiac posted:

If the Matrix reboot (or is it a pseudo sequel??) drops the trans issues in favor of being a plain sci-fi shooter, I will loving riot.

It's being made by the Wachowskis and trans issues are way more prominent today than they were in 1999. If anything, it's going to be even more obvious and we'll have to endure hundreds of manchildren screaming "WHY COULDN'T IT JUST BE A SIMPLE ACTION MOVIE LIKE THE ORIGINAL"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
And I've seen no indications or reports that the Wachowski's are desperate to make this movie. They've waited this long, why even do it if it's gonna be a cookie-cutter action movie that's focused-grouped to hell and back like every other blockbuster? I think the fact that they've even agreed to do it means they're confident they can have enough creative control use the ideas they want to use.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I’m still waiting for my speed racer sequel.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kramdar posted:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Kramdar posted:

It doesn't need it, it's already perfect. I will settle for a 90 minute version of the last race, though. Just slam their foot on the gas pedal of that visual orgasm machine and let it ride.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

And I've seen no indications or reports that the Wachowski's are desperate to make this movie. They've waited this long, why even do it if it's gonna be a cookie-cutter action movie that's focused-grouped to hell and back like every other blockbuster? I think the fact that they've even agreed to do it means they're confident they can have enough creative control use the ideas they want to use.

Because watching Keanu take out endless goons loving rules, that's why

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Because watching Keanu take out endless goons loving rules, that's why

We have john wick now, do we really need the wachowski sisters particular brand of "ehhh"? I consider the Matrix a fluke, Jupiter Ascending is far closer to their style.

e: by which I mean, Jupiter Ascending is what you get when you let the Wachowski's do whatever they want, The Matrix is what you get when you have a studio reining them in.

NtotheTC has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Nov 8, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Each matrix movie got worse and worse so lol at having high hopes for another

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just want more Keanu :shrug:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just want more Keanu :shrug:

His career renaissance has been fantastic. I’d like to see him direct more, though, Man of Tai Chi was incredible.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kramdar posted:

I’m still waiting for my speed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

His career renaissance has been fantastic. I’d like to see him direct more, though, Man of Tai Chi was incredible.

Welp guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

I dunno what it is with this scene but his movements are so fast and fluid he almost seems like he's dancing

3:10 on, I cant seem to timestamps from my phone

https://youtu.be/w-HSoOFdJ3s

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kramdar posted:

speed. I am speed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

We have john wick now, do we really need the wachowski sisters particular brand of "ehhh"? I consider the Matrix a fluke, Jupiter Ascending is far closer to their style.

e: by which I mean, Jupiter Ascending is what you get when you let the Wachowski's do whatever they want, The Matrix is what you get when you have a studio reining them in.

If I get something on the same level as Jupiter Ascending, I'll be very very happy with that.

I'm not too worried about it, the Wackowski's haven't made a bad movie yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

My Lovely Horse posted:

The stuff about Switch is true but the rest is a subtext reading. I can see where people are coming from and I get the appeal though I'm not sure I buy it as fully intentional. Even as an out trans person I'd hate for all my creative endeavors to be seen as a struggle with Gender identity as if I had no other facet to my identity, especially one written at a time when I was still making a concentrated effort to remain closeted. However I can see where its empowering to some and its a well supported argument.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Nov 8, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only downside to the newer John Wick movies is it seems like the action is kinda... slowed down a bit. If you watch the first movie he basically just rolls up and fucks up anyone in his way. In the second it's like the guys he's fighting are waiting just a bit before they run in, and in the third it's really obvious that they are just jumping him one at a time.

I get wanting to show off a bunch of gun-fu but honestly, when you have people hesitating in a fight it just looks weird.

Best was the scene in the armory at the beginning. Worst was the shootout with the dogs in the market. The former was really sold well, the latter was just "Hey, let's make everyone try to look cool".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Welp guess I know what I'm watching tonight!

I dunno what it is with this scene but his movements are so fast and fluid he almost seems like he's dancing

3:10 on, I cant seem to timestamps from my phone

https://youtu.be/w-HSoOFdJ3s
It’s one of the best martial arts movies of the last 10 years. You can really tell how passionate about the material Reeves is.

Yeah, that scene was definitely choreographed like a dance, it’s fantastic. They picked a great song to do that with, too. What makes the John Wick movies work is that Reeves is an accomplished martial artist and shooter, so they don’t have to use stunt doubles for him in fights. It’s why they can do the long shots and frees up the angles they can shoot since they aren’t trying to hide faces.

E:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only downside to the newer John Wick movies is it seems like the action is kinda... slowed down a bit. If you watch the first movie he basically just rolls up and fucks up anyone in his way. In the second it's like the guys he's fighting are waiting just a bit before they run in, and in the third it's really obvious that they are just jumping him one at a time.

I get wanting to show off a bunch of gun-fu but honestly, when you have people hesitating in a fight it just looks weird.

Best was the scene in the armory at the beginning. Worst was the shootout with the dogs in the market. The former was really sold well, the latter was just "Hey, let's make everyone try to look cool".

I didn’t mind the slower nature of the fights as much when I rewatched it back to back with John Wick 1 and 2. It kind of sells the fact that Wick is having a Long loving Day.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Reminds me of that YouTube clip about Jsckie Chan - action comedy? Might be every frame a painting?
Where they discuss how he knows how to fight so they dont need to use camera tricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, he's had a hell of a week.

Still, the bad guy's just kinda hesitating before doing anything is just... I dunno. It bugs me. It's like they hurry up to get in position so John can kill em. Gives it a cannon fodder feel, I guess.

Still love the movies though. Hoping in the new matrix we get Agent Smith in the opening going "Mr. Anderson! Welcome! I see you've finally escaped the Wick scenario."