Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These guys dont play anything other than western AAA fps games based on their complaints with the modern games industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Strangler 42 posted:

Kill the pirates, kill the hostages, keep the ship, be a pirate

Now that I think about it, this is exactly what CIG wants, they want you to fantasize about things in the game you will never be able to do. Also, the piddling reward reminds me of Fallout 76 when they made the game more grindy to "encourage" people to use the cash shop. Sure, you could rescue the hostage 3000 times in a row, or you can just buy the ship with real life cashola.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Pharohman777 posted:

These guys dont play anything other than western AAA fps games based on their complaints with the modern games industry.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

stop leaking Chris' latest jpeg masterpiece !

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Going to draw your attention to the similarities, and differences between Death Stranding and Star Citizen.

Both:
- Have A list actors.
- Have mocap
- Have crazy rear end producer/director thats somewhere between a film director and a game developer
- Are "AAA".
- "Open worlds" where you can do whatever the hell you want.
- (I'm just assuming on SC's end) Have long a script and cutscenes.
- Both are first games from Developers are are building their studio.
- Are "playable".

Star Citizen:
- Showed the game, made people believe theres always more (and its always worse)
- Priced in at a humble $45 to all your bank are belong to CR.
- Is not out yet.
- Is still lying to people that there's more "game" / features in development.

Death Stranding
- Showed people the game, told them that was it, people didn't believe it.
- Priced in at $60.
- Launched.
- Is actually really good.

Now the stark differences.
- Star Citizen has no direction, art or otherwise. Seems CR is approving "art" and "assets" as long as people are willing to drop cash for it.
- Everything in Death Stranding oozes of style. You can see Kojima had a direction for what he wanted, went for it.
- Star Citizen is enjoyed with your cash, Death Stranding is enjoyed by helping randos by placing fking ladders and poo poo all over the drat map.

TLDR:
Buy an Idris.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

no_recall posted:

Going to draw your attention to the similarities, and differences between Death Stranding and Star Citizen.

Both:
- Have A list actors.
- Have mocap
- Have crazy rear end producer/director thats somewhere between a film director and a game developer
- Are "AAA".
- "Open worlds" where you can do whatever the hell you want.
- (I'm just assuming on SC's end) Have long a script and cutscenes.
- Both are first games from Developers are are building their studio.
- Are "playable".

Star Citizen:
- Showed the game, made people believe theres always more (and its always worse)
- Priced in at a humble $45 to all your bank are belong to CR.
- Is not out yet.
- Is still lying to people that there's more "game" / features in development.

Death Stranding
- Showed people the game, told them that was it, people didn't believe it.
- Priced in at $60.
- Launched.
- Is actually really good.

Now the stark differences.
- Star Citizen has no direction, art or otherwise. Seems CR is approving "art" and "assets" as long as people are willing to drop cash for it.
- Everything in Death Stranding oozes of style. You can see Kojima had a direction for what he wanted, went for it.
- Star Citizen is enjoyed with your cash, Death Stranding is enjoyed by helping randos by placing fking ladders and poo poo all over the drat map.

TLDR:
Buy an Idris.

You're right aside from the 'is actually really good' part for Death Stranding

It looks like the most boring thing to play, and i really enjoyed farming simulator and truck simulator.

It's basically being described as a walking simulator interspersed with long rear end cut scenes

Mind you everything is really pretty and done well, so it at least succeeded at that

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The people in the DS thread here are all prepared to love it. I'm getting my popcorn for when many of them inevitably end up hating it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

You're right aside from the 'is actually really good' part for Death Stranding

It looks like the most boring thing to play, and i really enjoyed farming simulator and truck simulator.

It's basically being described as a walking simulator interspersed with long rear end cut scenes

Mind you everything is really pretty and done well, so it at least succeeded at that

I think Kojima is a bit of an overrated hack, games found better and more organic ways of telling stories than hours of overwrought cutscenes over a decade ago.

Also his whole “stoic military man sacrifices himself to stop militarism which is bad” shtick got old years ago. The needless convulsion of his plots is just a smokescreen for sloppy and trite storytelling.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So many of the complaints about GREEDY PUBLISHERS are from people who buy the same AAA slop over and over again.

Ugh, I HATE EA
*Something with Darth Vader on it is coming out
HERE'S EVERYTHING I HAVE
*DLC exists
loving GREEDY PUBLISHERS, THANKS FOR THE REDDIT GOLD EVERYONE

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I think Kojima is a bit of an overrated hack, games found better and more organic ways of telling stories than hours of overwrought cutscenes over a decade ago.

Also his whole “stoic military man sacrifices himself to stop militarism which is bad” shtick got old years ago. The needless convulsion of his plots is just a smokescreen for sloppy and trite storytelling.

i never really got into any of his games, the stories and settings never catch me

BUT he actually makes and finishes games, and they're usually pushing the boundaries of 'some' area of gaming, and are pretty to boot.

I think he would win in a fist fight against chris robbers

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its not really fair to Kojimas games to boil them all down to a bullet point.

It also completely ignores S.N.A.T.C.H.E.R., which should be a crime.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I mean, gently caress dude, Gordon Freeman is a pretty stoic dude who sacrifices himself to stop militarism and what the poo poo but I still enjoyed tossing a microwave at some gas-mask wearing nerd with a glow stick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
All the Rogue Squadron games? Stoic dude sacrificing himself to stop militarism!

Dash Rendar? Stoic man who sacrifices himself to stop militarism.

Banjo Kazooie? Stoic bear sacrificing himself (+bird) to stop rampant militarism.

Donkey Kong Country? Stoic pre-men sacrificing themselves to stop croc militarism.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Contra? Stoic badasses sacrificing themselves to defeat the alien militaristic invasion

Raptor: Call of the Shadows? Stoic pilot sacrificing themselves to stop militaristic group

Dr. Mario? Stoic doc sacrificing his firm to stop militaristic bio-terrorist weapon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And lets not forget that some militaries are actually way cool and good, like the Brotherhood of NOD!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
6 for 6'er?

Gimme a shade-wearing doggo pulling a kickflip off some fossilized dragon bones or some cool thing

Maybe a Dash Rendar pic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The people in the DS thread here are all prepared to love it. I'm getting my popcorn for when many of them inevitably end up hating it.

colonelwest posted:

I'm with y'all. I think Kojima gets credit for what a lot of other people working under him do, unsung heroes who go "gently caress, he wants us to do WHAT? and we have HOW LONG? Okay, guess I won't go home this weekend..." and jam out the code needed to make his insane game concepts a reality.

He's got some really creepy and cliche attitudes but somehow gets a pass from almost every gamer, to the point where many of them worship at the altar of Kojima-san. Its like some weird meme that somehow everybody embraced and became reality, added with Geoff Keighley fawning all over him has built up this mystique that he's an amazing auture and I don't buy it.

Death Stranding looks like a cool movie with some short stealth & shooting sections we've done in MGS games a million times, plus some other gameplay that seems half-baked and real boring.

Kojima is Japanese Molyneux. But that's still loads better than being Chris Roberts. If Kojima makes a movie (and apparently he may) it'll probably have some cringey stuff but it won't be "space bulldozer pushes girlfriend's spaceship off the poop deck" bad.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its not really fair to Kojimas games to boil them all down to a bullet point.

It also completely ignores S.N.A.T.C.H.E.R., which should be a crime.

Yeah man it’s honestly just my off the cuff before going to bed with the flu opinion of him. I’m not an expert on his work, I haven’t owned a PlayStation for most of my life and I only played MGS 4 and 5 and somewhat enjoyed them.

I’m sure I’ll pick up Death Stranding at some point when it comes to the PC, and probably enjoy it for being different and weird at least.

I just don't worship at the alter of Kojima.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 8, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All the Rogue Squadron games? Stoic dude sacrificing himself to stop militarism!

Dash Rendar? Stoic man who sacrifices himself to stop militarism.

Banjo Kazooie? Stoic bear sacrificing himself (+bird) to stop rampant militarism.

Donkey Kong Country? Stoic pre-men sacrificing themselves to stop croc militarism.

Settle down

He's got a point that Kojima did some pretty samey games for a long time. But a more reasonable defense is to point out that A) the fans really just wanted more Metal Gear, and B) Kojima does explore different themes in each MGS game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Settle down

He's got a point that Kojima did some pretty samey games for a long time. But a more reasonable defense is to point out that A) the fans really just wanted more Metal Gear, and B) Kojima does explore different themes in each MGS game.

Tje fact that you assume those defenses were reasonable means one of us needs to get some sleep.

Yeah, Kojima is loving weird and women dont need to expose themselves to breathe water through their skin or whatever fetish he has, and no i dont feel bad judging kojima for that after i discovered her true secret. MGS games in particular are loaded with cool stuff and its obviously not a one-man job and he only retains credit for all that poo poo because he was a major player back in the day where team leads became the nerd version of rockstars, not the company.

But I digress: Duke Nukem? Stoic son of a bitch thats ready to poo poo down the neck of whatever militaristic alien invasion threatening to take his babes

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Kojima, whether you like hit poo poo or not, is exactly what Chris is aiming to be, or, more accurately, thinks he already is.

The fact that people can argue on whether or not you like Kojima pretty much cements that he has an art and narrative style, and releases functioning games. If he didn't, there wouldn't be a game or style to like or dislike.

Nobody knows who or what Chris Roberts is. Do his games have a good style? What about his storytelling? So far nobody really knows because there's not enough to draw on, and none of his work is consistent enough to establish a style from. His poo poo has always been "ideas stolen from sci-fi, then done badly" but none of it is internally consistent.

It's pretty hosed up when a thief who is approaching the half-billion dollar mark of money stolen from the mentally ill still isn't enough of a personality to draw attention.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Now imagine the mission with effective AI making it nearly impossible.

As has been said many times in this thread, even if they hit every design goal, the game as produced would be terrible by on mechanics alone.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pharohman777 posted:

Elderbean posted:

So many of the complaints about GREEDY PUBLISHERS are from people who buy the same AAA slop over and over again.

Ugh, I HATE EA
*Something with Darth Vader on it is coming out
HERE'S EVERYTHING I HAVE
*DLC exists
loving GREEDY PUBLISHERS, THANKS FOR THE REDDIT GOLD EVERYONE

good thoughts, that would make sense.
chris' most ardent followers must have been triple A buyers all their lives, pc master race and all.
they just never made the shift towards indie games? (like many other old school gamers)
i mean origin and wc were “triple A“ in the past. but pc gaming in general was not mainstream then. so you could buy a triple A production and still feel special, edgy, nerdy, whatever you wanted to feel.

but since gaming has gone mainstream (and afaik long overtook all other entertainmant branches) triple A games are so streamlined and produced towards a giant crowd, that it is hard for the consumer to feel entitled or to feel a connection between producer and consumer. many gamers shifted towards the indie scene (me included, indie games rock) but others, it seems, stayed with triple A, but show their resentmant by complaining about bugs and greediness. instead of parting with what they hate they stay and complain.

they always were all about triple A and the pc masterrace and always will be. they are just waiting for their saviour to “make triple A great again“

thanks for reading i will go back to sleep now, friggin insomnia...

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I play mostly on nintendo systems, so AAA doesn't mean 'western fps filled with microtransactions' to me.

Thats the point I was making. The star citizen community seem to know nothing about Japanese AAA stuff like mario odyssey or breath of the wild.

They only know about ea, Activision, ubisoft, and a few other companies and games.

Although given their focus on 'fidelity' and 'realism', stuff like splatoon would probably blind them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Well, the point I was trying to make was....... wow would you look at that Jump Points! Guys we need to buy in again. ASAP.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Nobody knows who or what Chris Roberts is. Do his games have a good style? What about his storytelling? So far nobody really knows because there's not enough to draw on, and none of his work is consistent enough to establish a style from. His poo poo has always been "ideas stolen from sci-fi, then done badly" but none of it is internally consistent.

I'd say it's more we don't know exactly how much Chris had an input was to the games he has his name on. The joke make the blue pixel green is so ingrained at this point. In other cases like John Romero or a Shigeru Miyamoto game, we know exactly what and where their inputs were in the games they have credits on, Chris is just a bunch of "maybe he did this", and the people from Digital Anvil working at CIG are the same.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have a slavish dedication to the Assassin's Creed games. I have literally beaten all of them except Odyssey which I just got.

As much as they are AAA games they scratch a super specific niche interest of mine, that being historical fiction with science fiction themes (you turbonerds should read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cyle).

I also love all kinds of indie and mid-budget games. Basically I'll play anything as long as it is fun. Right now I'm super in to Battletech. I consider it AAA because I have 3 Assault mechs now. Looking forward AAAA.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

:stare:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Inside Star Citizen - Mission Control

Watch in amazement as they preview the new 890 Jump rescue mission, which pits the player against their garbage AI puppet hijackers AND a ticking “unhack the hacked computers” timebomb scenario.

Absolute crap that only space dads and Redbull-sponsored buttrock streamers could possibly get excited about.

Hand on heart I've written better, more interesting and varied missions back in the day when I was messing around with the ArmA editor...

What a janky load of codswallop. PC gaming saved!

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Pharohman777 posted:

I play mostly on nintendo systems, so AAA doesn't mean 'western fps filled with microtransactions' to me.

Thats the point I was making. The star citizen community seem to know nothing about Japanese AAA stuff like mario odyssey or breath of the wild.

They only know about ea, Activision, ubisoft, and a few other companies and games.

Although given their focus on 'fidelity' and 'realism', stuff like splatoon would probably blind them.
Quite a few of the Star Citizen backers are also older dudes who probably haven't played games since the late 90's/early 2000's. So of course they're impressed with Star Citizen, they'd be impressed with any game that came out after 2010. I say this because in a way, I almost fall into that category. I think I've posted this before, but I was amazed with the graphics on Portal 2 and Borderlands when I played them last year. I was similarly amazed with Breath of the Wild played largely in handheld mode, but that one is a more universally acclaimed game. When the games you're most familiar with are 15 years old, anything vaguely modern looks impressive.

The secret is, fun matters more than graphics. Splatoon is cartoony, unrealistic, and fun as gently caress, as is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks slightly more realistic, but still has you climbing giant towers and jumping off them with a handheld paraglider. Civilization 5 looks semi-realistic, but let me tell you about the 1800 year permanent war between the Communist Zulus and the Fascist Babyonians, which ended when the Zulus dropped nukes on 3 Babyonian cities and destroyed 12 Babyonian Giant Death Robots while Zulu X-Com squads captured the burned, radioactive husks of those cities. Oh, and Poland launched a starship to Alpha Centari in 1600's.

Semi-tangential, but I have spent less than $500 on all of the above fun, and $300 of that was buying a Switch. I'm still boggled at how much money Citizens can piss away on absolutely nothing; I only got a Switch and Breath of the Wild when I was super, super sure that buying it was worthwhile for the fun and gameplay I'd get back. Meanwhile Citizens will spend $500 on a JPG when they could have bought 7 or 8 games and played them for hundreds of hours and had way more fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Saladin Rising posted:

The secret is, fun matters more than graphics. Splatoon is cartoony, unrealistic, and fun as gently caress, as is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks slightly more realistic, but still has you climbing giant towers and jumping off them with a handheld paraglider.

Yes, but also, good art design is always more important than pure fidelity. All 3 of these games are beautiful in their own right because of distinct, well-realized art styles. They're also timeless - look at how well Wind Waker held up, especially in it's HD remake.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

A ticklish spaceship, truly they are innovating far beyond any other developers. Good thing they wrote "Work In Progress" and "WIP" a total of 3 times on the screen to make sure you know they're definitely going to do more work on it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Pharohman777 posted:

A lot of them are, at their core, pc master race-ers. So console stuff aren't really games to them.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, but also, good art design is always more important than pure fidelity. All 3 of these games are beautiful in their own right because of distinct, well-realized art styles. They're also timeless - look at how well Wind Waker held up, especially in it's HD remake.
Very true, Nintendo in general seems to be really good about making games with timeless art styles. Hell, Super Mario 64 holds up really good and it came from the late 90's early 3D era of "oh god how did we ever think this looked good". It's hilarious how Star Citizen is basically the opposite of "timeless"; Star Citizen is already starting to look dated as gently caress and the game isn't even out yet. Chris "Fidelity" Roberts can't even do the Fidelity part right.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

Quite a few of the Star Citizen backers are also older dudes who probably haven't played games since the late 90's/early 2000's. So of course they're impressed with Star Citizen, they'd be impressed with any game that came out after 2010. I say this because in a way, I almost fall into that category. I think I've posted this before, but I was amazed with the graphics on Portal 2 and Borderlands when I played them last year. I was similarly amazed with Breath of the Wild played largely in handheld mode, but that one is a more universally acclaimed game. When the games you're most familiar with are 15 years old, anything vaguely modern looks impressive.

The secret is, fun matters more than graphics. Splatoon is cartoony, unrealistic, and fun as gently caress, as is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks slightly more realistic, but still has you climbing giant towers and jumping off them with a handheld paraglider. Civilization 5 looks semi-realistic, but let me tell you about the 1800 year permanent war between the Communist Zulus and the Fascist Babyonians, which ended when the Zulus dropped nukes on 3 Babyonian cities and destroyed 12 Babyonian Giant Death Robots while Zulu X-Com squads captured the burned, radioactive husks of those cities. Oh, and Poland launched a starship to Alpha Centari in 1600's.

Semi-tangential, but I have spent less than $500 on all of the above fun, and $300 of that was buying a Switch. I'm still boggled at how much money Citizens can piss away on absolutely nothing; I only got a Switch and Breath of the Wild when I was super, super sure that buying it was worthwhile for the fun and gameplay I'd get back. Meanwhile Citizens will spend $500 on a JPG when they could have bought 7 or 8 games and played them for hundreds of hours and had way more fun.

Because when you look at what they say, they are not actually gamers, in a way that someone who only plays Euro Truck Sim and nothing else wouldn't be considered a gamer. Even the younger crowd like Giogetmoney (who looks like he's about 35) don't own any games, some don't even have PC's that can launch this game. To them, it's funding a charity of digital video show as a gently caress you to an industry they really have never been involved with or haven't been since DSL was new, like the 1 Second Movie only worse.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Yeah well, hope you were not expecting you would be getting any of the loving expensive real money ships easily just by playing, were you now?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Saladin Rising posted:

Very true, Nintendo in general seems to be really good about making games with timeless art styles. Hell, Super Mario 64 holds up really good and it came from the late 90's early 3D era of "oh god how did we ever think this looked good". It's hilarious how Star Citizen is basically the opposite of "timeless"; Star Citizen is already starting to look dated as gently caress and the game isn't even out yet. Chris "Fidelity" Roberts can't even do the Fidelity part right.

Fidelity is an ever shifting goalpost - the closer you get to realism, the easier it is to notice it isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Would you rather be blowing up churches and deporting civilians like the Global Defense Initiative?! *spits*