Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, actually.
Average price for Portland is 420K (blaze it) but it is on the decline, thank god.

I know some boomers that bought their houses for around 100K and are super pissed that they can't sell it for 750K+.

Oh no, now you'll only have to accept 500K boo hooooooo!

Still sounds cheap. But then again, Australian house prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iajanus posted:

Whilst those of us on the east coast would laugh at forcing Perth to have sunrise be at 9am and sunset at 10pm it seems a little mean.

On the flipside, Queensland not having daylight savings is idiotic and having the sun come up at 4am is really annoying when you have a small child that wakes up when it rises.

Yeah when I said five is dumb, what I meant is that three is probably right. East, central and west makes sense.

The Queensland vs. the rest of the East and Northern Territory vs. South Australia conflicts during DST are just, why.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

iajanus posted:

On the flipside, Queensland not having daylight savings is idiotic and having the sun come up at 4am is really annoying when you have a small child that wakes up when it rises.

Alternatively, daylight savings is dumb and should be shut down everywhere else

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The guitar riff in this intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8

is not from a Led Zepplin song. For years I could never figure out what song it was. In my defense, it does sound like something Jimmy Page would rip off, and I couldn't remember what the singing or drums sounded like. It's definitely not a Jon Bonham joint.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pare means to cut the skin off something, like an apple or an orange.

NOT cut something in half to make two parts, to make a 'pair'.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MariusLecter posted:

Similarly, to "pare something down" is to reduce it marginally, in steps, until it makes a perfect fit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Similarly, to "pare something down" is to reduce it marginally, in steps, until it makes a perfect fit.

I like the idea of a "pairing" knife. I guess "friendship knives" are exactly that: like a heart pendant that breaks in two so you can give the other half to someone you care about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A cleaver, if you will.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah it can make some great cleavage

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Huh. You can text the same person you are talking to over the phone. I don't know why I thought you couldn't or how it would be useful outside of one situation. We were talking about being in a phone conversation with someone who never lets a word in. Text, "*raises hand*, you wanna say something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

Huh. You can text the same person you are talking to over the phone. I don't know why I thought you couldn't or how it would be useful outside of one situation. We were talking about being in a phone conversation with someone who never lets a word in. Text, "*raises hand*, you wanna say something.

It’s also easy to send pictures to make sure you’re talking about the same thing, say when needing or giving help on DIY, troubleshooting, etc...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

No it doesn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it doesn't.

Pare: trim (something) by cutting away its outer edges.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Len posted:

Pare: trim (something) by cutting away its outer edges.

Also,
cut off the outer skin of (something).
"pare off the rind using a peeler"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MariusLecter posted:

Also,
cut off the outer skin of (something).
"pare off the rind using a peeler"

Yeah, I was agreeing with you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

oh dope posted:

The guitar riff in this intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8

is not from a Led Zepplin song. For years I could never figure out what song it was. In my defense, it does sound like something Jimmy Page would rip off, and I couldn't remember what the singing or drums sounded like. It's definitely not a Jon Bonham joint.

i didn’t just figure it out, but holy crap, the cover of “meddle” is an ear on its side, and not some kind of amphibian. i’d only ever seen thumbnails until a few years ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks like a ballsack defying gravity

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Len posted:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you

'Also' means 'in addition to'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MariusLecter posted:

'Also' means 'in addition to'.

No it doesn't

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Len posted:

No it doesn't

You are wrong, also you are rude.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gleebster posted:

You are wrong, also you are rude.

:thejoke:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Today my wife said excuse me to a bee that bumped into her.

Like they just bumbled into each other.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
People who don't talk to animals.are probably fundamentally broken.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

starkebn posted:

Alternatively, daylight savings is dumb and should be shut down everywhere else

:wrong:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Issue with Queensland and daylight savings is people in Mt Isa would be driving their kids to school in the dark. So you'd have to consider splitting the state into 2 timezones

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Which was the original reason behind daylight savings in the first place - making sure rural kids didn't have to go to school in the dark.

Road safety being a literal order of magnitude better than it was back when daylight savings was introduced means that that's probably fine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As someone who lives in Queensland there's nothing wrong with the idea of firing everything north of Brisbane into the sun and turning DST on in the southeast.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Memento posted:

Which was the original reason behind daylight savings in the first place - making sure rural kids didn't have to go to school in the dark.

Who decided that changing every clock made more sense than just going to school at different hours? Get rid of daylight savings AND time zones IMO.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i didn’t just figure it out, but holy crap, the cover of “meddle” is an ear on its side, and not some kind of amphibian. i’d only ever seen thumbnails until a few years ago.

I thought it was just some abstract deal. Welp, more thread content I guess.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

Road safety being a literal order of magnitude better than it was back when daylight savings was introduced means that that's probably fine.

The first guy to propose daylight saving time wanted more daylight to collect bugs. The second guy wanted more hours to play golf.

The first countries to do it, did it because of wartime rationing of light sources.

The children in the dark was an argument against using DST year round in 1974.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I could not see what you were talking about, but it makes so much more sense when you see the entire album cover.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Luis Guzman plays himself in Magnolia.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
“magnolia” and “steel magnolias” are different films.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

“magnolia” and “steel magnolias” are different films.

Yeah it's like Alien and Aliens.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

John C. Reilly (crying): I wish I could kiss it all goodbye!

William H. Macy (with new teeth): *hiss*

Tom Cruise (silently nuking it from orbit): :mad:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Memento posted:

Also the modern system doesnt stop kids from going to school in the dark either, because bussing is a nightmare.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Evo Morales is not wearing a hat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not convinced that it isn't the world's silliest wig.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tunicate posted:

Also the modern system doesnt stop kids from going to school in the dark either, because bussing is a nightmare.

Bussing is a pain. My oldest gets on the bus at 7:15am, my youngest goes to school at 8:45am. One gets home at about 3:30pm, the other at around 4:25pm.

Good thing that my wife works early and I work late. That way we never get to see each-other.

School scheduling makes no sense. Eventually, we'll be able to just let our kids take care of themselves. Just not quite yet. "Latch-key kids" was what they called it back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
In Office Space, Jennifer Aniston's character works at Chotchkie's. She has to wear "flair".

The flair is tchotchkes

:negative: