Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I, for one, blame the ཡི་དྭགས་ Tse for all of this.

e: update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Hey, at least we still have a nice comfy kingdom in which to sit and contemplate the Dao!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I like how the titles of the pope's tones down over the years. First cannibal Pope is unbelievable. Second it's heresy, soon enough the faithful are just going to expect it as a given

Ha, "The Uninvolved". The remaining Catholic faithful all like "well, I mean, he's not actively not eating people, I guess. He probably has a nibble from time to time. It's just... you know how popes are." :shrug:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

habeasdorkus posted:

I, for one, blame the ཡི་དྭགས་ Tse for all of this.

e: update on last page.

Frankly we got off easy for murdering the hope and future of Tibet.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
loving weeaboos

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Welp. Strong vassals!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Off topic of anything going on in this LP, but I've been reading through past megacampaigns. Were there any that switched over to the colonies when the colonial rebellions started?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I think Gold Rules the World switched to a new world nation, but that was mostly due to very bad things happening to the one in Europe.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

SirPhoebos posted:

Off topic of anything going on in this LP, but I've been reading through past megacampaigns. Were there any that switched over to the colonies when the colonial rebellions started?

Grizzwold posted:

I think Gold Rules the World switched to a new world nation, but that was mostly due to very bad things happening to the one in Europe.

I always thought a good idea for a mega-campaign would be playing CK2 until you create a crusader state and then switching to them, then playing the Crusader State into EU4 until you get either a colonial rebellion or playing your colony as a Dominion in Vicky and HOI4.

Double points if you do a GothLP thing and play a nomadic tribe in Atilla or something first.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Eleven Eleven posted:

Double points if you do a GothLP thing and play a nomadic tribe in Atilla or something first.

For what it's worth, I very nearly started in Imperator, but I'd have no idea what to do between that and CK2.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kangxi posted:

For what it's worth, I very nearly started in Imperator, but I'd have no idea what to do between that and CK2.

Attila: Total War?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Grizzwold posted:

Neat! I don't see that one in the LP archive-do you have a link?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

SirPhoebos posted:

Neat! I don't see that one in the LP archive-do you have a link?

Here you go. Requires archives, natch.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582025

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

SirPhoebos posted:

Attila: Total War?

Tibet isn't on the map for that one, and the game is very hard to mod.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 43: 1253 to 1260 - Gyelmo Purgyal Fuyuan of Ü-Tsang

As told by the vassal queen

What are you looking at?

Nothing to see here. Were you looking for that prick, the emperor? He's off in Srinagar.

Me I'm just stuck in Lhasa with the bureaucracy sitting with their thumbs up their asses and I don't know what to do besides reading old books.

That and get into fights with my brother.

Oh, and fend off marriage proposals from some slob! That's fun.

The best thing I ever learned in Tibetan was to tell somebody that I poo poo on the corpse of their parents. That's fun.

Because being number two in this place still leaves you a husk, where you have to kiss the big guy's rear end and you get to trod on the people who want to replace you.

I mean don't get me wrong, I have my privileges.

But I have to not stick my head up for too long or he'll tear it off my shoulders. And if he asks for Lhasa and I have to flee like a hounded beggar to Taktse castle....Well.

I didn't know what he was thinking, appointing me a general. I didn't know what he was thinking. The emperor gives with one hand takes away with the next? What did he want?

Simple. More power and glory for himself. Finish the great southern conquest started by Gyalyum centuries ago. And he didn't care if Lanka was a Chinese protectorate!

My first move was ... naive. With him and his court moving south to handle the war, I asked to be given a seat on the council.

The first answer was polite, but it took two tries for me to understand I wasn't getting anything.

He had his hands full. The Sacred Hierarch said we're going after Persia again. It's not like this was a catastrophe, I mean its not like it's China and the Mongolians we're facing at the same time here. But the two clearly didn't get along if they were fighting that openly over war goals.

I was sent down to help clean up Lanka, while the rest of the army went west.

When I was down there, I had learned from the Queen of Guge that there were many others who were not happy with the new emperor and wouldn't mind if the right person got rid of him. Of course.

I saw an opportunity, and I knew I had to act quickly.

The war was over. All of the south was ours. His speech made me sick.

I could count on a few minor officials, but also the Queen of Guge, Andhara, Telingana...

Oh that fool! That whoreson!

Two wars at once, and one where we were bound to lose! We had to move quickly to end it and save one of the fronts. The kings of Kamapura, Bengal, even the head of the Imperial Guard, saying she'd sworn an oath to the Purgyals, not to him...

The time was right. Potala Palace like my childhood home. I knew all the ways in and out and we could throw out the rat.

He still kept my servants. The guards I sent knew who to ask and what to do. I stood well away and waited for news.

He escaped? What do you mean he escaped? Wait, you're telling me that lump jumped out the fourth-floor window and ran away in his nightclothes? Three floors were enough to crack my idiot father's head open and this guy survived a higher jump? What do you m-- seize him! seize him!

Sangpo loving Bumtri. If the emperor finds out about this he's going to kill me five times over-

If the Chinese don't do it first.

gently caress, we should be grateful they left us all alive.

Even if that fool of an emperor had to give up everything in the royal treasury to do it.

And I still have my backers. They are patient.

I was in luck. One of the vassal kings in the south rebelled, and he made a very convincing case.

I joined him, only to realize not everyone was willing to commit and go all the way like I was.

I would at least take Lhasa. And hold it for as long as I could. I could at least pretend...

He's dead. On campaign in Persia. He felt sad that he could not achieve his ambitions, they said.

He's dead. How could he have done this to me?

His son is now emperor. They call him plain, but he is patient. Very patient and hardworking. This is going to be a lot harder because people may really like him.

The army returns from Persia, triumphant.

The lands will be given directly to the church.

He wants me to- he wh- yes! Of course! Not a problem, your majesty. Yes. Hm.

It's a relief to know I'm not the only councilor who hates his guts. But everybody else is hungry for glory and it'll be hard to convince them unless he starts losing.

Another guy in the south wants a rebellion. First, why the gently caress didn't you do this the first time, and second; nobody else likes him so he had to do it himself.

Oh well.

At least I have you, don't I, Mittens? You're very good. Yes, you are.

The new guy is sending me to put down the rebellion, but I might as well ask for more land for my trouble.

He... he agreed! Very reasonable.

Balkh was in terrible shape after the empire's bankruptcy. Fixing it up again will be a fun project.

Oh right, we're not the only ones winning holy wars. Good for them. I love an underdog story.

I meet so many interesting people on the campaign.

One does not win battles just by making friends. You win them by beating the poo poo out of the other guy until he can't fight back.

Come here, you coward!

Got him!

I felt pretty good about that.

Ah, right. I didn't vote for that but I guess we're not having votes for wars anymore.

Well gently caress this. I need to go punch something.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'll be honest, if a big plot like that didn't succeed, I'd start save-scumming.

(I have very limited experience playing a vassal. It looks like it requires a lot of patience)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So... is she gonna turn into another Gyalyum?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Things went... better than expected :unsmith:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So... is she gonna turn into another Gyalyum?

Honestly, if things continue along the current path, I can only see her mellowing out under the new guy and resigning herself to a life as vassal queen.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gyalyum didn't have Mittens, the bestest cat in Tibet.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SirPhoebos posted:

(I have very limited experience playing a vassal. It looks like it requires a lot of patience)

It's less rebellion whack a mole and more a lot of monitoring your liege & other vassals for moments of weakness to capitalize on.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Now THIS is a woman who should be empress!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 44: 1260 to 1275 - Gyelmo Purgyal Fuyuan of Ü-Tsang

As told by the vassal queen

I felt a weight on me. I can get all the titles and honors I desire and it all does nothing to me and I still am listless because I'm not the loving empress. U-Tsang I had already, Persia because somehow a guy who was a vassal to me was given all the titles for our last holy war -- it's complicated -- Lord of the Palace, champion and greatest warrior of the court. Just nothing of any value or my own effort. It all turns to ash in my mouth. I need more.

I mean look I'm not the only person who wants the empire. Wanting it isn't enough. But I can't just sit like this forever.

I mean peace? What the hell am I supposed to do in peace?

After weeks of talking I had somehow gotten myself into a duel with the great Khan of the Mongols.

I was knocked flat on my rear end but it was something. I needed the practice.

Just killing time until I could get up and strike somewhere else.

It was after the emperor had defeated the most recent band of nomads who thought they could just march in and take the throne.

I had to join the guards this time and make sure everything was done right. Sneak in through the tunnels, make sure he's home, make sure he doesn't jump out or try anything stupid.

This time -- this time! It worked. We found him quick but he kept bawling for his guards so I had to stab him a few more times.

Finally. Finally, I was back on the throne after years of waiting.

It wasn't that easy. His son fled to the south and proclaimed the 'Deccan Empire' and he somehow convinced almost everything south of Goa to join him.

That idiot pissed off the church so he's got no friends there.

I had to get myself settled in. Of course, I'd have to pay off the guard. I'm in power but I'm not stupid - you need these reliable institutions on your side. Get the old guard, military, church, bureaucracy. Anybody who looks too ambitious or bloodthirsty are the ones whose heads you have to cut off.

I mean I would have killed me if it was the other way around. I don't know why he didn't.

Then I'd need to clear out Lhasa. Too many people were loyal to the old man.

Too many people upset their patron was cut off.

Too many loyal guards.

I need a loyal, more efficient service.

We had to storm the red hill where Potala sits and it fell.

This was, what, the second time Lhasa fell in four or five hundred years? It was only other Tibetans that did it. Funny, that.

The Sacred Hierarch did his duty and threw the enemy out of the church. He was now a lawful target.

My loyal courtiers had arranged for the construction of a statue commemorating the start of my reign.

I didn't feel anything. Just ... nothing at all. I didn't need this.

Time to march the armies south.

I got a nasty cut a while back -- don't remember where -- and I owe the gods a miraculous recovery.

We met the army of the so-called Deccan Empire near Gaya, the holy place. Pilgrims still trying to make their way alongside the armies, swapping stories and food.

I ran out at the front of the lines and dared them to strike me down. Anyone to dare challenge me. I had my arms open and screamed at them. They didn't even fire an arrow at me.

They couldn't. With all the furs and the screaming, they say I'm a bear. My soldiers cheered when I struck down another warrior even younger than I am. He'd pissed himself.

Hahaha. Of course, the southern 'emperor' is out. Poor little fool.

We beat them in the open field,

And that was enough.

Lhasa was a little beat up. the palace and part of the old town were damaged. It wasn't the end. The university wasn't even burned. Nothing to worry about.

Ah, drat. Mongolians coming in from the north.

Even with that little 'empire' in the south, claimants are going to fight over it.

The new guys in the south are coming after us. Tough, but I think we can still beat them. I'll have to divide my forces.

We'll have to move them around quickly, changing horses constantly and keeping our baggage to a minimum.

I haven't heard from the western garrisons in a while so they might be gone already.

Are you loving kidding me? Buddhists - now? I'm going to find this bhikkhu and pull his ribs open and eat his heart!

We fought again near more temples. How many do we have in this empire? Are we still alive because we left them all up?

I'm feeling better with this campaign.

I feel alive for the first time in years.

I felt something after winning that wasn't just the absence of dread.

My vassal kings had put down the Buddhists.

More battles. The southerners would not surrender.

The king of Persia, my uncle, had suggested he could send a few thousand more guards my way if he was given his own independence. I had to.

The Mongolians were already having their plunder from the cities along the Indus.

The local garrisons were swept aside.

It was many long months before our armies could arrive.

Just right around the time that we'd convinced the south to end their war. They were still independent but they wouldn't pester us for a few more years anyway.

Oh that worm- he did what with the Chinese? I'm going to peel him like an onion and the gods will call me just!

Then he died? Well. I didn't even have to do anything this time.

Fine. I'll have to get my aunt and tell her not to gently caress this one up too.

At least I have my other warriors to talk to.

But then, I had received the worst possible news in the war.

My great and most loyal companion, Mittens, has passed away. He was with me for years and he was everywhere with me. We shall have a ceremony for him.

I think the exertion and work were getting to me. I wondered if it was heart trouble.

The doctors and priests gave me an examination and said it was cancer.

Fine. I'll have to fight that too.

I don't know what those doctors have in mind but I'll be ready for it.

They can send whoever they want against me.

I will find a way to bring an end to them all. The empire is still here, with my effort.

Is this what Gyalyum felt like?

Maybe. I don't know. We live in different worlds.

You know, whatever happens, whatever wars are there, I will take them on. I will be the sword...

Ah, for gently caress's sake. What do you mean the accessories are wrong? Yellow is for the other imperial family? He doesn't tell me what to do. Get that merchant back here and I'll shove my foot so far up his rear end he'll be tasting hide...

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 11, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Truly, an Empress of the line of Gyalyum.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I really love her. There's nothing like someone who just will not stop fighting the entirety of existence.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's great, still wish we'd managed that Chinese Imperialism shift tho.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

:black101:

rad update, this lady deserves better

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

HOW DARE THE REVENANT TSE INFLICT OUR MIGHTY EMPRESS WITH CANCER! PUT EVERY BUDDHIST TO THE BEES!

Can we get a character sheet update with her stats and traits?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Cancer? You loving take that cancer and kick its stupid rear end! :crab:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

habeasdorkus posted:

Can we get a character sheet update with her stats and traits?

The modifiers in order are: Peace Deal with China, Patron Diety: Shinje, Recent Military Reform, Imperial Inefficiency (still a massive levy/tax penalty), Duel and Combat Experience, Old Military Reform, High Inflation, Crushed Revolt, Renowned Duelist, Severe Illness, Student of Strategy, Great Warrior

Her health is at 1.5

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Fuyuan rules, oh my gosh.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Kangxi posted:

Her health is at 1.5

Oof that's not good. Maybe she'll get interested in hunting and get that sweet + to health (and maybe even a dog to lessen the loss of Mittens, taken too soon).

For non CK2 players, if I recall correctly, 5.0 is the baseline for health.

Guper fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 11, 2019

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

:emptyquote:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Guper posted:

Oof that's not good. Maybe she'll get interested in hunting and get that sweet + to health (and maybe even a dog to lessen the loss of Mittens, taken too soon).

Yeah, that cancer is kicking her rear end. She needs a puppy and some strenuous exercise outdoors killing all of God's Creatures! The Teddy Roosevelt approach to cancer!

Empress Theonora posted:

:hmmyes: She's even more of a badass than I expected!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Guper posted:

lol, she's a mass of tumors barely held together by pure rage

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Hope at some point she focuses on how ruling works. Or hell join some Lodge to try and do what Gyalyum did.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i liked the part where she threw a massive rave for her dead cat that cost over 900 gold

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, a lot of costs are just some flat percentage of your yearly income, so if you're rich you'll get situations where you pass a beggar and are given the choice between becoming Cruel or giving them "a few coppers" to the tune of hundreds of gold.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

SpruceZeus posted:

i liked the part where she threw a massive rave for her dead cat that cost over 900 gold

Would you want to risk it if you did NOT give your cat a massive funeral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Akratic Method posted:

lol, she's a mass of tumors barely held together by pure rage

If it wasn't for her picking up the Brawny trait by smashing rocks, she'd have 0.5 health. I'm amazed she's still alive.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Hope at some point she focuses on how ruling works. Or hell join some Lodge to try and do what Gyalyum did.

She is already in a lodge. She will have to figure out how to punch inflation though