Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

I'd say the best first playthrough is high Phys/Psy, like the Sensitive Cop. Shivers, Inland Empire, Empathy, and Esprit de Corps have tons of great dialogue, and having high Endurance+Volition gives you plenty of room for drugs mistakes.
Agreed on all the Psy skills, but I did my first playthrough with super high Motorics + highish Psyche, and skills like Perception, Composure and Reaction Speed work really well with the Psy stuff. Plus, Interface allows you to bro up with Kim more by nerding out about cars, and Hand/Eye makes you feel like an actual decent cop by being knowledgeable and proficient with firearms.

Also ended up with Shivers at 10 despite having only 1 in Phys, so higher Phys is by no means a requirement if you wanted to combo Shivers-Inland Empire-Empathy and Esprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Undead Hippo posted:

In contrast to the other people, I'm going to say probably not. The different stat configurations give quite severely different options and dialogue in some cases- but they aren't going to change the fundamental nature of the game you're playing. If you don't find the characters and experience interesting, I don't think a stat change will solve things for you.

He could give it a go. Could make a difference. Probably won't, but won't hurt either.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tindahbawx posted:

Should I restart the game and go with something else that isn't the default leftmost character? I assumed it would be good to start as that guy as that's where the default position of the selection is, but mostly I'm finding the game a little dull.

Undead Hippo is probably correct, but you could give a 1/1/6/1 a go. Maybe.
Just make sure you have a lot of Morale healing charges.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

drat now that talk about Phys/Psy is making me want to restart my game about 4 hours in, since it's my first playthrough and I'm mostly going Mot/Psy with very low Phys and Empathy, plus some points into Visual Calculus and Shivers. :ohdear:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Alright, thanks for all the advice, I'll give it another shot tomorrow with a different build, see if it hooks me a bit more, the default one just seems like a very dry experience in comparison to some of the amusement others seem to get out of the game.

The encyclopedia option certainly seems well fleshed out for sure, it's giving me all these little bits of information about the world the Devs have created, the problem is that I'm not particularly wanting to know random bit of trivia #2647 when I'm not yet particularly invested in the world itself!

Someone above was saying that it was possibly more interesting to someone on a follow-up playthrough to find out little bits of information you missed the first time, I could see this being the case definately.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like to imagine that having high Empathy makes you too sympathetic with others, to a fault. I don't really recall any instance when an Empathy check revealed a negative snippet of information about a character.

It would be like high Half Light, but instead of making you paranoid, it would make you too naive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mystic Stylez posted:

drat now that talk about Phys/Psy is making me want to restart my game about 4 hours in, since it's my first playthrough and I'm mostly going Mot/Psy with very low Phys and Empathy, plus some points into Visual Calculus and Shivers. :ohdear:

Shivers is the most generally interesting plus skill. The others are interesting but you dont really have to have them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd say the best way to play would be to build the character more or less as your own self evaluation. I wouldn't ever be a cop or an alcoholic, but a lot of the neurotic stuff feels really relatable otherwise. 4/4/2/2 with conceptualization was my own assessment and it seems to be pretty fun in the game so far.

Shivers seems fun but it also seems relatively based around superstition and kind of odd beliefs, which in a worlds that seems to be mundane, seems like it would mostly appeal if that was already your kind of predisposition irl.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Half Light is the real neurotic skill. One of my favorite touches with it is right after finding that you crashed the car while drunk Kim comforts you by saying the police will forgive you and half light chimes in "no, they won't."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still wonder why magnesium is something that boosts your morale when the amount harry takes must be making him run to the shitter constantly

I think it's supposed to be a kind of hangover cure, maybe even a placebo. Harry is coming down from overdoses of multiple drugs and has a lot of subconscious mental trauma so the magnesium is all that's keeping him from being completely overwhelmed and giving up on life.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think I hit a wall on what to do. Im 5 days in, and my only tasks at this point is everything involving the church, finding the sniper's nest and takiing to the smoking guy in the apartments at night.

I just need to know where to go next for more poo poo to do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Personally I think the most robust build for seeing it all is something like 4/3/2/2. Make Shivers your signature skill, invest in it and Composure/Reaction Speed/Hand Eye when you can. Perception is easily solved with Thoughts.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

BigRed0427 posted:

I think I hit a wall on what to do. Im 5 days in, and my only tasks at this point is everything involving the church, finding the sniper's nest and takiing to the smoking guy in the apartments at night.

I just need to know where to go next for more poo poo to do.

do the church?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

do the church?

I failed the checks to get the freezer open and capped out on it. So now I gotta wait for the freezer to thaw out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I failed the checks to get the freezer open and capped out on it. So now I gotta wait for the freezer to thaw out.

it won't thaw, go do the church

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

it won't thaw, go do the church

So how do I get the backup then, cause thats where I am right now

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

So how do I get the backup then, cause thats where I am right now

You can't without re-opening the check. Put a point in physical instrument, get dice from the dicemaker, or internalize the Insuladian Miracle thought to re-open it.

also, broadly, to progress in the game you need to pass the Shivers check at the FELD building mural.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Late game question about Cindy The Skull:

Regarding her graffiti post-Tribunal, what's that line from? Is it from an actual poem? Lighting the art on fire with a cigarette was one of my favorite moments in the game, and I'm curious to know the source of the quote.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Late game question about Cindy The Skull:

Regarding her graffiti post-Tribunal, what's that line from? Is it from an actual poem? Lighting the art on fire with a cigarette was one of my favorite moments in the game, and I'm curious to know the source of the quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcHoP7RgUs

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Is it just me, or is it super aggravating that the camera is off center such that your character is in the lower left, and it's a pain to walk down or left because you can't click very far ahead of you in those directions?

I really wish this game had Diablo-style hold down the mouse to run.

Edit: For some reason, restarting the game fixed the camera. Guess it was a bug.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 8, 2019

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i'm finishing up my second playthrough and this is my favorite game of all time. it's amazing how everyone character seems like a huge rear end in a top hat at first, but as more information trickles out, you learn more about them, and get them to open up, almost everyone is sympathetic.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so, uhhhhhh, about the Pale in Matinaise

the loving church is the next manifestation point of the Pale, via the sound swallowing point and the discovery you can unlock from the night club dudes and the programmer lady. and there were multiple other churches built in antiquity, and while all of them may not have been built around nascent Pale genesis points, it's likely some of them were. more than one of them

the expansion / sequel better be all about exploring the Pale and the Southern Highway and how hosed up the whole of Elysium really is

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Does every skill offer a copotype?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so, uhhhhhh, about the Pale in Matinaise

the loving church is the next manifestation point of the Pale, via the sound swallowing point and the discovery you can unlock from the night club dudes and the programmer lady. and there were multiple other churches built in antiquity, and while all of them may not have been built around nascent Pale genesis points, it's likely some of them were. more than one of them

the expansion / sequel better be all about exploring the Pale and the Southern Highway and how hosed up the whole of Elysium really is

For what it's worth it seems likely to be a major topic in the book, so look forward to it being translated. I know I am

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Arrhythmia posted:

Does every skill offer a copotype?

I think you can see the four copotypes in your journal?

Superstar, Apocalypse, Sorry, Boring

Unfortunately Hobocop doesn't count

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I want a Hobocop DLC that enables you sleeping in literal dumpsters.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Perhaps I mispoke: does every skill offer a thought?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

No, and there are more thoughts than skills. Political thoughts are the only ones more explicitly tied to certain skills, unless I'm forgetting something?

ETA: I mean, sometimes skills will introduce the thought to you, but it's not really the in-depth interaction you get with political ones.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 8, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
My mobility aint that high but I don't remember my Hand/Eye Coordination speaking out to me

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Perhaps a hamster posted:

No, and there are more thoughts than skills. Political thoughts are the only ones more explicitly tied to certain skills, unless I'm forgetting something?

Inland Empire offers Remote Viewers division, Endurance offers the big ol' misogynist thought

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lady Galaga posted:

My mobility aint that high but I don't remember my Hand/Eye Coordination speaking out to me

iirc hand/eye gives you the finger guns thought?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Inland Empire offers Remote Viewers division, Endurance offers the big ol' misogynist thought
Endurance is fascism. But yeah, forgot about IE.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Actually it should be about the quest for the Cocaine Skull.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Or a game about hunting down cryptids starring Lena as the main character.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Fun fact: earlier in the production, each ideology/political thought was meant to have a "vision quest" of sorts associated with it.

Cocaine Skull was the ultralib one, I think, complete with dungeon diving.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my play-through was good int, average psy/mot and lovely phys and it worked out pretty well for a "wacky cop who's actually good at his job" run. the int skills are overall fairly reliable and regularly provide good advice/insights(except Drama sometimes) though this can bite you in the rear end sometimes if you rely on them too much. Volition is still the only skill you can really trust though.

I also never touched drugs/alcohol outside of health items and was a raging communist, the greatest detective of our time.

Bow Collector gave me all the shivers I needed too

e: also volition has one of the most important/funniest checks in the game and lets you wake up Drama too so it starts actually detecting lies again

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 8, 2019

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Cocaine Skull was the ultralib one, I think, complete with dungeon diving.

Fillipian Purple Cocaine Dungeon Diving is ZA/UM's masterplan next phase

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just realized there was a book on on the Pale. I assume I'm gonna have to read it first to pass that impossible conceptualization check with Joyce. I kinda spoiled myself and I heard that she leaves? I want to avoid that before I can get enough to open that branch of conversation.

I'm tempted to do an all out crazy superstar coppo run with electrochemistry and drama.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Idia posted:

I just realized there was a book on on the Pale. I assume I'm gonna have to read it first to pass that impossible conceptualization check with Joyce. I kinda spoiled myself and I heard that she leaves? I want to avoid that before I can get enough to open that branch of conversation.

Nope! You might want to fail that check at first, it can give you some orientation on what to do. Don't worry, only red checks can't be retried.

Also, here is Jim Sterling being very positive about the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiY2f0DRSg

I am glad that the game has been winning attention and praise in a slower, but longer stride - people are trying it without worrying about other releases and getting surprised by how great it is :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
looking at all of the portraits in thsi game really makes me realize that this game really isn't at all a 'dudebro' game like some were trying to smear it as in teh first week of release. Every woman in the game has their own *thing* going on that's pretty drat interesting, and almost every single one has a more complex interiority than your average Strong Female Character