Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is where the Simpsons jumped the shark for me. In earlier seasons they would have a crowd of people who were just randos in the Simpsons style. In later seasons any incidental Springfield mob is Captain McAllister, Bumblebee Man, Sideshow Mel, Hans Moleman, etc. They have entirely disappeared up their own rear end, and did at least 10 years ago. God I wish the show had ended before 9/11.

Yup. Multiple classic lines were delivered by "randos" such as:

"This enormous woman will devour us all!"
and,
"The PTA has disbanded!"

If done post season...11ish, let's say, it would have to be a named character, and they'd so something "silly" while jumping out the window/over the edge of the ship.

Even semi-recurring characters, like the surly guy (but not Surly, the Duff Beer character) who said "I doubt my teenager son or daughter is that stupid"* and "sarcastic Charles Bronson store owner" don't appear much anymore (I think that first guy hasn't appeared since probably like season 8.)

*I guess officially he is "Just stamp the ticket man":
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Just_Stamp_the_Ticket_Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Charles Bronson guy is named Raphael
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Raphael

Although it took until S8 or so for his look to get standardized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1GRBjUEHck

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tom Gorman posted:

Goddamn, I never realized what this was a spoof of. The one where Bart turns Homer into a Jack in the Box with his mind?

It was always familiar but I never figured out why. I think I thought it was a parody of The Omen.

It's a good life

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The most annoying recurring character that could be many characters is blonde corporate woman

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And Tress MacNeille is voice acting legend, so that says something about how little her character is wanted.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

and,
"The PTA has disbanded!"
This dude is the epitome of one line randos.
Just flawless execution.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

and,
"The PTA has disbanded!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:bisonyes:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

drat

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Goldmine

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Charles Bronson guy is named Raphael
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Raphael

Although it took until S8 or so for his look to get standardized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1GRBjUEHck

All Creatures Great And Cheap is a fantastic name.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pitch a fitness posted:

This dude is the epitome of one line randos.
Just flawless execution.

100% correct opinion

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/sineadaloftus/status/1192427248172912640?s=20

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ironically, at this point Marge and Homer are Millennials.

The were ret-conned as Gen X like 10-15 years ago when they did that 90's episode where Marge is in college and Homer formes a grunge band, but now even that is too outdated. If they're in their mid to late 30's, they are the elder millennials, or maybe very young Gen X.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ironically, at this point Marge and Homer are Millennials.

The were ret-conned as Gen X like 10-15 years ago when they did that 90's episode where Marge is in college and Homer formes a grunge band, but now even that is too outdated. If they're in their mid to late 30's, they are the elder millennials, or maybe very young Gen X.

Trying to apply continuity to the Simpsons is like trying to paint the inside of a car wash while it's running. Even if you get some of it to stick it's gonna get washed away in five minutes so seriously why bother?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The sliding generation thing is part of why I really wish the writing held up at least a bit better. A 30 year cartoon is like the only medium you could really do it in so The Simpsons is kind of unique in that regard.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ikanreed posted:

The most annoying recurring character that could be many characters is blonde corporate woman

Yes! I was just thinking how that character appearing meant the episode was post golden age. Didn’t Dana Gould base her on his HBO executive wife?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That would be Lindsey Naegle, which I think is usually a pretty good parody of the Girl Boss type. That joke about her always switching jobs because she's a sexual predator gets a dark laugh out of me.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
M'Oe

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 7, 2019

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That would be Lindsey Naegle, which I think is usually a pretty good parody of the Girl Boss type. That joke about her always switching jobs because she's a sexual predator gets a dark laugh out of me.

Plus she gave us the "financial panther" line, which is something all of us must use.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Oo he panel makes good

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
loving hell I want a Tobias spinoff so badly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Lindsey Naegle is great if used correctly, like in Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie. Unfortunately she tends to get shoved into a lot of unfunny bits in later season, much like Sideshow Mel and the Crazy Cat Lady.

Anyway, memes:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

The sliding generation thing is part of why I really wish the writing held up at least a bit better. A 30 year cartoon is like the only medium you could really do it in so The Simpsons is kind of unique in that regard.

I feel like the sliding continuity is part of the problem with later Simpsons. The Simpsons were created to be relatable in the context of the early nineties. However as society has shifted in the meantime, the setting has become increasingly divorced from everyday American life. Homer sustaining a two car single income suburban household working an industrial job with nothing but a high school diploma is an anachronism. For grandpa Simpson to make sense today he'd have to be a Vietnam veteran rather than a WWII veteran, and Principal Skinner in turn would have had to have fought in the Iraq War. However the cultural significance of these conflicts is radically different, and that has important implications for characterization. The result is the show has become unmoored from reality, as it's tethers stopped making sense the tone became increasingly cartoonish, and characters and events became unrelatable.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was just a little older than Bart when The Simpsons first aired.

Then I was about the age of Homer in the early 2000's.

Looking forward to being about Abraham Simpson's age & seeing the show's still on the air.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Squalid posted:

I feel like the sliding continuity is part of the problem with later Simpsons. The Simpsons were created to be relatable in the context of the early nineties. However as society has shifted in the meantime, the setting has become increasingly divorced from everyday American life. Homer sustaining a two car single income suburban household working an industrial job with nothing but a high school diploma is an anachronism. For grandpa Simpson to make sense today he'd have to be a Vietnam veteran rather than a WWII veteran, and Principal Skinner in turn would have had to have fought in the Iraq War. However the cultural significance of these conflicts is radically different, and that has important implications for characterization. The result is the show has become unmoored from reality, as it's tethers stopped making sense the tone became increasingly cartoonish, and characters and events became unrelatable.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was just a little older than Bart when The Simpsons first aired.

Then I was about the age of Homer in the early 2000's.

Looking forward to being about Abraham Simpson's age & seeing the show's still on the air.

You aged nearly thirty years in less than twenty? :psyduck:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Those later seasons really shave off a few years life expectancy, gets pretty dire

Like how presidents always become old as gently caress when their terms done

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

DoorMatt posted:

You aged nearly thirty years in less than twenty? :psyduck:

homer has aged 6 years while his kids have barely aged at all. Android Apocalypse got off easy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chrpno posted:

Plus she gave us the "financial panther" line, which is something all of us must use.

To go to someone that was mentioned on the most recent episode of the very excellent podcast "Talking Simpsons", think about the lady in charge of selling Fleet-A-Pita to the investorettes in season 8. If that was a season 12-31 episode, that would have been Lindsay Naegel. Think how many different random rear end possible Benevenstanciano-esque characters the writers didn't create because they were just plain lazy in the last 20 years. I love Gil, I absolutely do, but imagine how many one-offs they could have created for all the Gil jokes of the last 20 years?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DoorMatt posted:

You aged nearly thirty years in less than dickety? :psyduck:

FTFY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To go to someone that was mentioned on the most recent episode of the very excellent podcast "Talking Simpsons", think about the lady in charge of selling Fleet-A-Pita to the investorettes in season 8. If that was a season 12-31 episode, that would have been Lindsay Naegel. Think how many different random rear end possible Benevenstanciano-esque characters the writers didn't create because they were just plain lazy in the last 20 years. I love Gil, I absolutely do, but imagine how many one-offs they could have created for all the Gil jokes of the last 20 years?

I think it was Talking Simpsons that pointed it out to me that Gil became the Lionel Hutz stand-in after McClure died.

I mean, obviously not in his first appearance, since it's WITH Hutz, but once the writers knew they couldn't use Hutz anymore they needed SOMEONE to be the perpetual loser, incompetent at his job, etc....

They aren't identical, since Hutz is bad at being a lawyer but generally had the confidence of a better lawyer, whereas Gil is always pathetic and knows it, but it's simiar.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I dunno, at a certain point they may as well just use the same character, because a lot of the one-offs they wrote in the later seasons have kind of a sameness to them. (Thinking about all the times they "parodied" vain millionaires and showbusiness people, especially.)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Drink-Mix Man posted:

a lot they wrote in the later seasons are all kind of the same

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010