Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Goast posted:

yeah, the china thread, hosted outside of china, full of non-chinese people

you know what pepe means when used in the context of a westerner posting on a western-dominated forum and you still choose to do it

stop being disingenuous and gently caress off please

I know what Pepe means and I would never use it because I am American and lived through the context.

But you have to be an idiot to not see that in China it is a popular meme with a different context. Theres no way you live in China because otherwise you'd know how popular it is and how it's used differently, independent of how it's now used in America. Whenever I get a pepe sticker sent to me I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm getting coded support for Trump.

If Wang Sicong eating the hotdog suddenly got co-opted by Uigher genocide supporters on a website non-Chinese people don't visit, would you even know? If it got popular on reddit or something, used in a different way, then got co-opted in China would everyone suddenly say "well poo poo this is bad in China now we're all gonna stop using it our way" because of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Goast posted:

yeah, a china thread, hosted outside of china, full of non-chinese people

you know what pepe means when used in the context of a westerner posting on a western-dominated forum and you still choose to do it

stop being disingenuous and gently caress off please

as a british chinese person, living in hk for the past 8 years, i should know the context of posting pepe because of:

american politics
white supremacists
r/the_donald
4chan

ah yes, all these things that I care about and frequently look up

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kurnugia posted:

and so it doesnt really matter that the nazis used the swastika

if pepes were associated with the deaths of 6 million jews i would stop using it

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrainDance posted:

would everyone suddenly say "well poo poo this is bad in China now we're all gonna stop using it our way" because of that?

what if they did it slowly? like how memes spread. like a disease, the realisation that pepe was always racist spreads throught the posting body

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Throatwarbler posted:

Pick any story out of the Economist or some similar trash and see how may times they quote "an anonymous poster on Weibo" like that was real journalism.
I mean that's how many people's daily articles go, including extensive word of the word "netizen"

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BrainDance posted:

I know what Pepe means and I would never use it because I am American and lived through the context.

But you have to be an idiot to not see that in China it is a popular meme with a different context. Theres no way you live in China because otherwise you'd know how popular it is and how it's used differently, independent of how it's now used in America. Whenever I get a pepe sticker sent to me I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm getting coded support for Trump.

i don't know how it's used in china and never claimed i did

galaga knows how it's used in the western context then feigns ignorance to defend their usage of it on a predominately western forum

"oh noooo, im a british expat thats been in hk for 8 years how could i possibly know about this meme being used by racists its literally only an american thing" they are full of poo poo and it's obvious

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lady Galaga posted:

if pepes were associated with the deaths of 6 million jews i would stop using it

what if it was only 5 million? i mean, its a symbol of peace over where you are. you see it used p often im sure

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Goast posted:

i don't know how it's used in china and never claimed i did

galaga knows how it's used in the western context then feigns ignorance to defend their usage of it on a predominately western forum

"oh noooo, im a british expat thats been in hk for 8 years how could i possibly know about this meme being used by racists its literally only an american thing" they are full of poo poo and it's obvious

Yeah, who gives a poo poo? Guy probably does know what pepe means because he posts here, so;

Goast posted:

they know pepe being used as a bigoted icon isn't just an american phenomenon and are trying to claim it is to turn any critique of their usage of lovely pepe memes into "loving DUMB YANKS DONT KNOW OTHER CULTURES"
?

You're so dumb, it's amazing.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BrainDance posted:

Yeah, who gives a poo poo? Guy probably does know what pepe means because he posts here, so;

its okay he knew its considered a racist meme when used on these forums and then used it anyway whats the problem he lives in hk now :downs:

Goast has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Nov 8, 2019

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The problem is that it's whether people in HK know and intend it that way. That's always been what it's about. It's never mattered how Galaga uses it. Your reading of this whole thing has nothing to do with anything at all.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

BrainDance posted:

The problem is that it's whether people in HK know and intend it that way. That's always been what it's about. It's never mattered how Galaga uses it. Your reading of this whole thing has nothing to do with anything at all.

i don't give a poo poo about how people from hong kong use it because i don't fully understand why they do it

i just don't like disingenuous scottish chuds pretending they are using it in the same manner as hong kong protesters when they arent

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pepegate

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
ACAB is regarded as a hate symbol, yet somehow it escapes critique when used on this very forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lady Galaga posted:

ACAB is regarded as a hate symbol, yet somehow it escapes critique when used on this very forum

It’s hosed up how people don’t do a call out when you post ACAB here

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Lady Galaga posted:

Thats because ACAB

posting pepe memes and then saying "its cool im not doing it the racist way like other westerners because ive lived in hk for 8 years and i just didn't know" is being a dishonest prick

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

This is in a mall in HK - Discovery Park - specifically catered towards children.

now tell me that Pepe suddenly means Nazism everywhere and in every context because..???

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feels good man!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Rabelais D posted:

now tell me that Pepe suddenly means Nazism everywhere and in every context because..???

i never posted that but okay keep that strawman assembly line going

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Goast posted:

Thats because ACAB

posting pepe memes and then saying "its cool im not doing it the racist way like other westerners because ive lived in hk for 8 years and i just didn't know" is being a dishonest prick

this hate symbol is fine

this other hate symbol?

its bad, because to post on this american forum you need to be culturally aware of the history of KKK in america, as well as the modern terms and iconography that alt rights use,

Rabelais D posted:

This is in a mall in HK - Discovery Park - specifically catered towards children.

it's okay because they are chinese chinese not british chinese

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This several-hour meltdown about Pepe not being nazi leads me to believe that Pepe is probably nazi

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
if you legitimately consider acab to be a hate symbol you are just a chud and can gently caress off

also stop pretending that pepes alt-right implications are just a new american thing you weren't aware of because it isnt and you were

Goast has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Nov 8, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Anti-Defamation League, full of chuds.

Makes sense I guess, since they justify the use of Pepes

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/pepe-the-frog posted:

The majority of uses of Pepe the Frog have been, and continue to be, non-bigoted.However, it was inevitable that, as the meme proliferated in on-line venues such as 4chan, 8chan, and Reddit, which have many users who delight in creating racist memes and imagery, a subset of Pepe memes would come into existence that centered on racist, anti-Semitic or other bigoted themes.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
yeah, ill be sure to listen to the zionist org that claims ACAB is a hate symbol and BDS is an antisemitic group lol

you are so full of poo poo its amazing

Goast has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Nov 8, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Galaga posted:

yes, it is

lmfao come on dude try the SPLC instead

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Lotta stanning for a frog itt

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
xi xi top

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lady Galaga posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pepe is stored in the hong kong

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i guess lady galaga finally has chosen to defend the noble hong kong police force against hate symbol ACAB

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Goast posted:

i don't give a poo poo about how people from hong kong use it because i don't fully understand why they do it

lmao

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I personally feel very angry and start literally shaking when I see the cartoon green frog known as Pepe

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
this thread is dumb as hell lol

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WTF I scrolled pass 50 posts of dumb pepe argument.

Also, can somebody post that Economist dispect article? Its paid protected.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pepe, pants down one eye swollen shut: feels good man

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lady Galaga posted:

You're legitimately only now coming to realize that aren't you?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
why would i care about american NGOs lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Galaga posted:

why would i care about american NGOs lol
you might not care about the CIA but the CIA cares about you

BrutalistMcDonalds