Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I beat the path of pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Congrats

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Modus Pwnens posted:

I beat the path of pain.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are the roly bug bosses with swords at the top of that tower in the city just really super hard, or is there some trick to them? (They're in that room with the chandelier that you can knock down before you fight them.) Is my only solution to just get better? Because I fought those guys about 10 times before giving up. I haven't had so much trouble on any other boss in this game so far.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
The Watcher Knights are pain to everyone. You can wait until late game to beat them as they don't guard anything but one of the events for the final boss.

When I did my speed run I had to get both the Monarch Wings AND the Shadow Dash to get past them. I had already wasted the time limit once trying to brute force them for 2.5 hours.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they're not too hard once you learn their tells. you want to pogo on top of them until they ball up and do a short upwards bounce, which means they're going to jump up at you - dash out of the way to avoid it, then go back to pogoing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Inu posted:

Are the roly bug bosses with swords at the top of that tower in the city just really super hard, or is there some trick to them? (They're in that room with the chandelier that you can knock down before you fight them.) Is my only solution to just get better? Because I fought those guys about 10 times before giving up. I haven't had so much trouble on any other boss in this game so far.

I think it is one of the hardest and worst bosses in the game. It's not so much that any one of them is hard but that it's long and frantic and unforgiving because they keep coming and there's little time to heal. It's been a while but I think I equipped as many blue health charms as possible and just facetanked them (you'd also want a maximally upgraded Nail). I also wonder if cheesing them with Flukenest + Shaman Stone would work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I don't recall having problems with them, has a patch changed their behaviour or something?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Like many things in HK, the difficulty varies dramatically depending on if you fight them early on or after you have many upgrades!

They're not so bad later on, but if you fight them as soon as possible, especially if you pogo up there off some debris, it's one of the hardest fights in the regular game.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Started a new run after not playing since Grimm came out. Is there something behind all the godseeker stuff or is it just a boss challenge mode?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Started a new run after not playing since Grimm came out. Is there something behind all the godseeker stuff or is it just a boss challenge mode?

It's just a boss rush, with some upgraded versions of cool bosses that didn't fit into the main game/other DLC I guess. Also a secret secret ending cutscene that no-one knows is 'canon' or not and is like 45 seconds long and is just the natural conclusion of the Void fuckin' up all the other Gods.

So play it through if it's your thing, or just Youtube if it's not

Also just gunna say it outright, you get to fight the second Grimm fight in Godmaster so don't think you lose anything if you choose to follow the Banishment path of the Grimm DLC

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The trick to the rolly-poly bug knights room is to slap the bejeezus out of them just as they are spawning.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The trick is to just git gud.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It's a series of boss rushes but there are 7 new bosses and the pantheons play differently enough from the base game that it doesnt feel like a retread.

There's new content all the way to the end but getting to the end is obscenely, obscenely time-consuming/difficult (as in, you will be playing godseeker for longer than you played the base game) but beating the first few stages is worth it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 8, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been debating whether or not to put in the effort to do the final two Pantheons, I could maybe get to the end of the fourth but I have a sinking suspicion that #5 involves fighting every boss in the game and I just do not know if I have it in me to get that good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
beating 4 doesnt get you access to any new bosses and beating 5 is probably a 20+ hour commitment. So 3 is a good place to stop.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I've been debating whether or not to put in the effort to do the final two Pantheons, I could maybe get to the end of the fourth but I have a sinking suspicion that #5 involves fighting every boss in the game and I just do not know if I have it in me to get that good.

That is exactly what #5 is.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was thinking I would top out at #4 just to have all of the bosses available in my actual playthrough but we will see what kind of time I can put into it. Do you unlock the end boss of #5 if you get to the end of that pantheon?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

C-Euro posted:

I was thinking I would top out at #4 just to have all of the bosses available in my actual playthrough but we will see what kind of time I can put into it. Do you unlock the end boss of #5 if you get to the end of that pantheon?

Yes, you unlock the final boss in the hall of gods, but you have to first reach the boss in the final pantheon, which itself is no simple task.

Also defeating the final boss in hall of gods is only good for practice, you have to beat it in the pantheon to get the ending.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I found the watcher knights to be much easier once I started taking it slow instead of trying to burst them down. They only really have two attacks and they both have a pretty long windup, the issue is keeping track of both at the same time. It helps if you prioritize keeping them both on screen but on different sides of you IMO, that way you can quickly swap to the other and bounce off them to escape the spinny attack while continuing to do damage.

C-Euro posted:

There are three bosses exclusive to the fifth pantheon, not just the final one.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I don't recall having problems with them, has a patch changed their behaviour or something?

Name/Post C-c-c-c-c-cOMBO (SS)

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

kvx687 posted:

I found the watcher knights to be much easier once I started taking it slow instead of trying to burst them down. They only really have two attacks and they both have a pretty long windup, the issue is keeping track of both at the same time. It helps if you prioritize keeping them both on screen but on different sides of you IMO, that way you can quickly swap to the other and bounce off them to escape the spinny attack while continuing to do damage.

There are three bosses exclusive to the fifth pantheon, not just the final one.

I know what you mean about taking it slow. I had the same problem with the enraged Crystal Bug boss who shoots lasers. Once I stopped jumping around like a maniac and only moved the minimal amount needed to dodge attacks, he was actually really easy.

I took a break from the watcher knights and did some other stuff and got the nail upgrade that required 2 ore, so I might go back and try them again now.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Inu posted:

Yes, they're super hard especially if you fight them early. Getting shadow dash + sharp shadow helps a TON on this fight, since you can dash through them while they're rolling and do 1x nail damage.

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.
Flukes are quite possibly the most annoying enemy in the game. Thank god it was only in the Royal Waterways though. What's the best charm setup for broken vessel?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cergos posted:

What's the best charm setup for broken vessel?

defender's crest is cheap because it just vaporizes the adds he summons iirc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cergos posted:

Thank god it was only in the Royal Waterways though.

:laugh:

cergos
Apr 23, 2019

The hush of the night sky is the silence of a graveyard.

God drat it.

b_d posted:

defender's crest is cheap because it just vaporizes the adds he summons iirc

Should I equip anything else along with defender's crest? Apparently it can interact with other charms?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cergos posted:

Should I equip anything else along with defender's crest? Apparently it can interact with other charms?

Spore Shroom, Flukenest, and Glowing Womb have some neat interactions with Defender's Crest, but none of them are necessary for Broken Vessel.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Replaying this game after a year. Even with all that I learned from my first playthrough, I still manage to die like once every 30 minutes.

I don't know how anyone does a no-death steel soul runthrough or whatever. Like jeez.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a wiki for this game, that is good

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yah the hollow knight wiki is really loving good
https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Hollow_Knight_Wiki

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

cergos posted:

God drat it.

In my experience, for this fight you will be hindering more than helping yourself by trying to do so.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a good fandom wiki? dang

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's been months but I've finally done it. I've beaten the Mantis Lords. Time to see what's beyond their locked door! :dance:

:stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

It's been months but I've finally done it. I've beaten the Mantis Lords. Time to see what's beyond their locked door! :dance:

:stare:

Lol this should go in the OP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really not enjoying Soul Master. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a bitch getting back to him. Good bye $2000. Sigh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He probably has the single worst corpse run of any boss in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Soul Master made me put the game down for a long time. But its worth pushing through, there's so many amazing things. Also, depending upon where you are in the game, you could delay fighting him, but he is pretty important.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Soul Master was a nightmare on my first playthrough and on every subsequent playthrough I got nail upgrades before doing him, which makes him a non-issue. Spoil yourself on their locations if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Soul Master was a nightmare on my first playthrough and on every subsequent playthrough I got nail upgrades before doing him, which makes him a non-issue. Spoil yourself on their locations if you have to.

Not a bad idea. How many of those ores are there available at this point? I guess I can farm up a ton of $$$ again. Sigh. That's the worst part. I wanted to buy the key and the lamp.