Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

why would you gently caress with a Brazilian

thats just asking for problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

That rear end factor, man

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

well he is married to one

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
What's the problem with Glenn?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A Bad Poster posted:

Raging tankie that still denies Russian election interference and leaking the names of confidential sources

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1192482434367008769?s=21

Sigh...

Why Jeff...

Why couldn’t you just shut the gently caress up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

Reality Winner

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

colachute posted:

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1192482434367008769?s=21

Sigh...

Why Jeff...

Why couldn’t you just shut the gently caress up.

Yeah I saw this. Never meet your heroes.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

That Works posted:

Reality Winner

Ah.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
In the current music thread, the synthwave channels on Youtube are pretty relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBUCmMxmup0

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

someone post all the pictures of him on Tucker Carlson.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

no lets chill out and never think about fucker carlson ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkF1k4DbDME

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

In February Bill Gates said he should have paid more tax:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/2/27/18243183/bill-gates-foundation-reddit-ama-billionaire-taxes posted:

Gates: “I think our system can be a lot more progressive (that is richer people paying a higher share).

“A key element is making capital gains taxation more like ordinary income (some have suggested making them the same) and having an estate tax more like we had in the past (55% above $3.5M).

“European countries collect a lot more taxes but through consumption taxes, but those are not progressive.

“If people want the government to do more it needs to be funded and I see us needing to improve our education and health services.

“So yes, I have paid $10B but I should have had to pay more on my capital gains.”

At this point I think it'd just be easier if you told us how much you'd like to pay, Bill.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

In February Bill Gates said he should have paid more tax:

At this point I think it'd just be easier if you told us how much you'd like to pay, Bill.

My favorite part is how he's spent years on auto-fellatio because he's "giving away his billions" and he has more money now than when he started doing it.

Almost like capital accrues more capital and distorts society or some crazy poo poo like that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

An Open Letter to Hobbyists

To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less than 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates

General Partner, Micro-Soft

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

no lets chill out and never think about fucker carlson ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkF1k4DbDME

Hell yeah let’s kick it poolside

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

wait hold up

Mulvaney just got subpoenaed

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/07/politics/mick-mulvaney-subpoena/index.html

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Wizard posted:

Raging tankie that still denies Russian election interference and leaking the names of confidential sources

Also, constant smug leftier-than-thou attitude despite having supported W Bush and the Iraq war because he was "apolitical" back then, and also denying having supported Bush and the Iraq war.

Also, keeps showing up on white nationalist talk shows to attack the media and Democrats.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Bloomberg running is clear evidence for why billionaires need to be taxed more. They are upset that Warrens tax plans will prevent them from pursuing their hobbies like running for president

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not being a billionaire didn't stop trump

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

For the answer to this question please send a self addressed stamped envelope to

INMATE 22056-021
FMC CARSWELL FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER
PO BOX 27137
FORT WORTH, TX 76127

and your answer will be provided in the order it was received

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less than 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates

General Partner, Micro-Soft

ok boomer

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not being a billionaire didn't stop trump

:wow:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
FYI - the Anonymous book is a donut buy.

https://twitter.com/pauldemko/status/1192665058175848448

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We will read all the good+truthful parts of it when trump tweets about them in anger

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm changing my vote for the author to Sessions. He can have someone conveniently leak that it was him after his senate bid starts ramping up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/cbszak/status/1192499183632224256

In case you're wondering what Deval Patrick has been up to since leaving government, he's a managing director at Bain Capital.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Hopefully I'm not opening a huge can of worms here, but I don't know what to think about this stuff. If all software, music, movies, etc. were free, I assume nowhere near as much could be produced because everyone would have to do it in their spare time. On the other hand, if piracy was totally prevented, a lot of poor people would miss out on all sorts of things, and it would also stop some things from being produced. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a separate issue from whether founding a successful company should turn you into someone with so much wealth you can't even give it away fast enough to shrink it, but is saying "please don't steal our stuff" wrong in any way if you're still quite a small company?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buttcoin purse posted:

Hopefully I'm not opening a huge can of worms here, but I don't know what to think about this stuff. If all software, music, movies, etc. were free, I assume nowhere near as much could be produced because everyone would have to do it in their spare time. On the other hand, if piracy was totally prevented, a lot of poor people would miss out on all sorts of things, and it would also stop some things from being produced. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a separate issue from whether founding a successful company should turn you into someone with so much wealth you can't even give it away fast enough to shrink it, but is saying "please don't steal our stuff" wrong in any way if you're still quite a small company?

I mean, history shows that he did aight. He is currently aight despite that hobby market piracy rate. It provably did not sink him or his fledging company.

So gently caress him and Metallica retroactively.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Edit: I feel like piracy was at it's best back in the late 2000's and should be a model that we hope to maintain. God drat I miss those days, peer to peer was in it's post Napster and kazza era of having competing warez communities. My kat.ph ratio was a fair metric of giving back as much as I brought in.

gently caress, took a look at the torrent tracking landscape a week ago and poo poo is bleak. I actually got took me a while to figure out which of the links in each listing wasnt the bogus one. I think I've gotten too old and out of touch to pirate. All my old hook ups either flipped, are dead or in jail.

That's my piracy story. Bill Gates shared his.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

:perfect:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

quote:

“In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we’d already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we’d have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were ‘profiting off the office.”

Press F to pay respects

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

maybe he's comparing his family to the Lee/Custis family

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What a piece of poo poo.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Edit: I feel like piracy was at it's best back in the late 2000's and should be a model that we hope to maintain. God drat I miss those days, peer to peer was in it's post Napster and kazza era of having competing warez communities. My kat.ph ratio was a fair metric of giving back as much as I brought in.

gently caress, took a look at the torrent tracking landscape a week ago and poo poo is bleak. I actually got took me a while to figure out which of the links in each listing wasnt the bogus one. I think I've gotten too old and out of touch to pirate. All my old hook ups either flipped, are dead or in jail.

That's my piracy story. Bill Gates shared his.

I think it’ll be back. A lot of trackers died down because there were great and legal streaming platform, namely Spotify and Netflix, but now every company is releasing their own streaming platform to host their own content that people will want their own portable files once more. How much will it cost to be a “cord cutter” now?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1192833138126397440?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Steam and GOG seem to have put video game piracy to bed for the most part. Unlike the balkanization of the streaming market the only thing you might have to worry about is the service dying out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't pirate video games anymore and I haven't felt the need to since I got a big kid job a long time ago.

I'm more than willing to pay twice or even three times what netflix is currently charging if I could actually watch all the stuff we could 10 years ago. I don't care if I'm paying for close to what I paid for cable in those dark days, as long as it's all in one or at most two places.

Quickly looking at what I watched this year and will watch shortly when it comes out, I would need subs to:

HBO Go
Showtime
Netflix
Apple TV+
CBS All Access
Amazon Prime Video
Disney Streaming

Like gently caress you, I'm not subbing to seven different streaming services and I'm most certainly not going to janitor when to sub/unsub. Take my loving money and give me what I want in one or two places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Steam and GOG seem to have put video game piracy to bed for the most part. Unlike the balkanization of the streaming market the only thing you might have to worry about is the service dying out.

We'll see if it lasts. Just about every AAA publisher is trying to make their own steam clone and make their games exclusive to it.