Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

What I loving joke. I love it.

E: taxxe, straight from my garden

Kikas fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

You're right aside from the 'is actually really good' part for Death Stranding

It looks like the most boring thing to play, and i really enjoyed farming simulator and truck simulator.

It's basically being described as a walking simulator interspersed with long rear end cut scenes

Mind you everything is really pretty and done well, so it at least succeeded at that

I'm close to the then hour mark at the moment, and the game is exactly what was advertised. It's an AAA walking simulator with stealth mechanics (which don't feel tacked on). It's also a lot of fun if you are into slower paced games, and as someone already said, oozes with style and athmosphere. It's also totally batshit crazy, and at the same time visually extremely impressive. The opening alone is awesome. I was pretty sure I am seeing either pre-rendered still shots or actual photos, until you realize this is the actual engine running in real time.

It's totally not for everyone, and I'd say the first 90 minutes are about 75 minutes of cutscenes.

There are many things wrong with it, but the important things are done pretty good. And I'm not even close to the part where people say that the game changes completely.

I also can't wait for Crobberts to see it's fidelity and demand heavy refactoring.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Out of curiosity, checked out Berk and his SC stream. It's sad. You ask questions about the game and it is the same exact answers as years ago. "Stuff is coming soon!" "Mechanics in the very next patch!" "Game play loops are coming!" "They've made lots of progress in last year" "*DREAMS*"

Is time a mystery to them? Do they not notice the passage? I even reference that in my messages, that i heard these comments actual years ago and all they can try is "This time its for real!"

E: I haven't caught up on SC info since before the subforum got closed. Any huge embarrassments i've missed at CitCon or otherwise?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sum Mors posted:

Any huge embarrassments i've missed at CitCon or otherwise?

Two weeks

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

pacific palisades? next to chris' mansion?
(dont worry i do not want you to self-dox)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

No, wait' let's get back to this again: is the jiterring because of the bullets? I know it might be the NPC walking into the ship but I've been thinking - since we know everything is shrunk down, how small is the bullet? How small of an object can you track in Cryengine? How can you have any kind of precision with let's say, everything shrunk down 200 times? Assuming that you'd use 9mm bullets, that would make them 0.000045m, or 45 µm (micrometers). That is stupid small, and I doubt that the engine can handle sub-milimeter precision. So, how can the game know where the bullets actually are and have any sort of reliable gunplay, if it has to kinda guess every bullet position?

The answer is "it can't" and it is the most satisfying thing to uncover another layer of their design flaws and technical debt.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bumble He posted:

pacific palisades? next to chris' mansion?
(dont worry i do not want you to self-dox)

Wrong continent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kikas posted:

Wrong continent.

Yeah, this time of year Chris is usually in Fiji.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This clip basically explains why whatever crap CIG is making can never become a proper game. Hot Calders investor tip: zero-byte every storage space you have, toss Chris out the airlock, fire literally everyone, and start over with some game developers on staff.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

The replies on that video are just astounding. 70% elaborate fawning praise of how great they think it looks (when it doesn't), including specific callouts to individual members of the staff(??) and 30% talking about how Star Citizen is the only game that cares about sound design and no one else does.

Over-under on how many of them are dummy accounts? Something about "Wow, years later and I am still amazed every day, I can't wait for Star Citizen to be released and then to enjoy it!" - type comments make me think Russian bot farm more than organic engagement.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm with y'all. I think Kojima gets credit for what a lot of other people working under him do, unsung heroes who go "gently caress, he wants us to do WHAT? and we have HOW LONG? Okay, guess I won't go home this weekend..." and jam out the code needed to make his insane game concepts a reality.

He's got some really creepy and cliche attitudes but somehow gets a pass from almost every gamer, to the point where many of them worship at the altar of Kojima-san. Its like some weird meme that somehow everybody embraced and became reality, added with Geoff Keighley fawning all over him has built up this mystique that he's an amazing auture and I don't buy it.

Death Stranding looks like a cool movie with some short stealth & shooting sections we've done in MGS games a million times, plus some other gameplay that seems half-baked and real boring.

Kojima is Japanese Molyneux. But that's still loads better than being Chris Roberts. If Kojima makes a movie (and apparently he may) it'll probably have some cringey stuff but it won't be "space bulldozer pushes girlfriend's spaceship off the poop deck" bad.

I think you might be overestimating how many people respect Kojima instead of just viewing him as weird but sort of interesting/amusing. Even fans of the MGS series that I know seem to be rather split on the more recent games.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The fidelity has just not been layered for now.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Iceclaw posted:

A lot of them are, at their core, pc master race-ers. So console stuff aren't really games to them.

Cymellion wants to watch console players' tears when they see Star Citizen.

Other people are envious and sad because you have a better games machine. How is that in any way fun?

Citizens, man, it's like a journey into being 13 again.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Saladin Rising posted:

Quite a few of the Star Citizen backers are also older dudes who probably haven't played games since the late 90's/early 2000's. So of course they're impressed with Star Citizen, they'd be impressed with any game that came out after 2010. I say this because in a way, I almost fall into that category. I think I've posted this before, but I was amazed with the graphics on Portal 2 and Borderlands when I played them last year. I was similarly amazed with Breath of the Wild played largely in handheld mode, but that one is a more universally acclaimed game. When the games you're most familiar with are 15 years old, anything vaguely modern looks impressive.

The secret is, fun matters more than graphics. Splatoon is cartoony, unrealistic, and fun as gently caress, as is Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks slightly more realistic, but still has you climbing giant towers and jumping off them with a handheld paraglider. Civilization 5 looks semi-realistic, but let me tell you about the 1800 year permanent war between the Communist Zulus and the Fascist Babyonians, which ended when the Zulus dropped nukes on 3 Babyonian cities and destroyed 12 Babyonian Giant Death Robots while Zulu X-Com squads captured the burned, radioactive husks of those cities. Oh, and Poland launched a starship to Alpha Centari in 1600's.

Semi-tangential, but I have spent less than $500 on all of the above fun, and $300 of that was buying a Switch. I'm still boggled at how much money Citizens can piss away on absolutely nothing; I only got a Switch and Breath of the Wild when I was super, super sure that buying it was worthwhile for the fun and gameplay I'd get back. Meanwhile Citizens will spend $500 on a JPG when they could have bought 7 or 8 games and played them for hundreds of hours and had way more fun.

It's not exactly weird to be amazed with Breath of the Wild when it (framerate issues aside) largely managed to recapture that sense of danger, magic and wonder that the first 5 or so Zelda games had. I suspect it was probably made largely by younger devs who grew up wanting to replicate that NES/SNES era magic, though it could just have been a fortunate combination of circumstances.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

QA
QA started learning the subsumption visualizer to better ebug cinematic cutscenes and player-NPC interactions. They began creating new cinematic-focused test suites that will help them check cutscenes are playing correctly in the editor. Testing of the game’s various wild lines continued and documentation was made to explain how these cutscenes should be tested going forward. Further improvements to usables went into game-dev, which will be tested to ensure the correct animations are being used and that the AI is using them appropriately. These new usables will eventually be added to the PU, where they will become part of the team’s regular social AI testing.

"The Narrative Team continued its progress on tackling the in-game text"

Can any any one explain this to me ... cinematic QA sounds like they are watching Netflix and writtimg IMDB reviews

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kikas posted:

What I loving joke. I love it.

You should get on that Virginia Creeper, it's a pain in the arse once established.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Just a matter of building the house (of a 100 systems).

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dynastocles posted:

Over-under on how many of them are dummy accounts? Something about "Wow, years later and I am still amazed every day, I can't wait for Star Citizen to be released and then to enjoy it!" - type comments make me think Russian bot farm more than organic engagement.
Seems likely. Or it's their little echo chamber of cultists, because no one else cares.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bofast posted:

I think you might be overestimating how many people respect Kojima instead of just viewing him as weird but sort of interesting/amusing. Even fans of the MGS series that I know seem to be rather split on the more recent games.

Yeah, I have super weird, conflicted feelings about Kojima. The only MGS game I disliked playing is 4, MGS5 is one of my favorite games, and PT is possibly the greatest horror experience I've ever had. Whether it's him or his team, he DOES produce phenomenal games.

But I cannot loving stand his writing and dialogue and I think he's sniffing his own farts when it comes to that, and DS sounds worse than usual in that regard. But I can't help but feel compelled by the weird gameplay and I'm tempted to try it at some point. I just really, really don't want to sit through 8 more hours of Kojima cutscene. At the very least it's interesting to see ardent Kojima defenders in the DS thread flip and say they're not liking the game.

Bofast posted:

It's not exactly weird to be amazed with Breath of the Wild when it (framerate issues aside) largely managed to recapture that sense of danger, magic and wonder that the first 5 or so Zelda games had. I suspect it was probably made largely by younger devs who grew up wanting to replicate that NES/SNES era magic, though it could just have been a fortunate combination of circumstances.

That's exactly what happened. Nintendo has recently had a very intentional passing of the baton from the old guard and are actively trying to innovate by elevating young designers with new ideas. Splatoon and BOTW are the best examples of that, and even Super Mario Odyssey's giant love letter to Mario 64 makes it clear it was developed by many people who grew up during the N64 era.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 8, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1192834139763834882

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How is this transparent scam still a going concern lmao

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

You should get on that Virginia Creeper, it's a pain in the arse once established.

that's no way to talk about some goon's cat

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
it's a terrible joke but that's where we are

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
this thread needs moma

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Would you rather be blowing up churches and deporting civilians like the Global Defense Initiative?! *spits*

I would never betray the brotherhood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, but also, good art design is always more important than pure fidelity. All 3 of these games are beautiful in their own right because of distinct, well-realized art styles. They're also timeless - look at how well Wind Waker held up, especially in it's HD remake.

Exactly, which is why TF2 still looks good but realistic games from 2007 look like rear end now.

Especially since graphics fidelity hits diminishing returns. Each generation now, the improvements are going to be less and less dramatic and noticeable.

Plenty of games come out now that aren't quite on the bleeding edge of graphics and nobody really seems to care because even 1 generation old graphics still look good now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bofast posted:

Yeah, but there's soooo many people who legit lose their poo poo over him.

Like Norman Reedus himself was just talking about Kojima, and he's literally said "I met this guy Kojima, he hung out at my house, he seems like a nice and normal guy. Then we go outside and people fall over and start crying when they see him, and I'm like, whoa, who is this guy Kojima?"

For Norman Reedus, himself a TV star, to have that reaction about a celebrity, they have to have a massive, fanatical following.

I mean you have to imagine Reedus himself has a ton of fangirls, right? What would it take for him to be like "holy poo poo these guys are huge fans of Kojima" ?? There's definitely something unique about Kojima among gamers compared to basically any other game developer I can think of. I'm really struggling to think of anybody who commands the same clout and fanatical devotion that he does.

I think you may be underestimating it.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Kojima's games are just more "interactive" versions of David's Cage "games" when you look at it carefully. I'm taking the piss but he's genuinely one of the most overrated "Game designers" out there, and MGS is probably the most overrated Japanese AAA franchise.

The best MGS game is Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, because it had actual gameplay, had no 30 minutes long cringe cutscenes, Kojima wasn't involved, and was dev'd by a studio that makes actual games instead of boring 10 minutes long """""""""stealth"""""""" gameplay sessions that are just breaks for the godawful cutscenes.

You could easily argue that MGS 1 to 4 are basically exactly the same game than the original one on MSX, almost down the meme/meta bossfight mechanics.

Wow, Kojima-san such genius of meta-gameplay comentary, I have to look at my PSX game's box to progress in game! GENIUS! KOJIMA-SAN?! NO IT IS NOT TRUE?! I HAVE TO PLUG MY CONTROLLER INTO THE PLAYER 2 SLOT TO BEAT THAT BOSS! SO DEEP!

This kind of meta-garbage memery is the only kind of exemple Kojima fanboys will give you for why he is such a game design genius. This unwarranted cult of personality, and a Japanese AAA vidya industry bent on milking their cash cow franchises without changing anything of substance until they dry are the only reasons why Konami kept funding his fanfic projects for so long.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

his nibs posted:

this thread needs moma

I'm sure he'll be back for a drive-by victory lap after Citcon. You can quote the poo poo out of this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Megalobster posted:

Kojima's games are just more "interactive" versions of David's Cage "games" when you look at it carefully. I'm taking the piss but he's genuinely one of the most overrated "Game designers" out there, and MGS is probably the most overrated Japanese AAA franchise.

The best MGS game is Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, because it had actual gameplay, had no 30 minutes long cringe cutscenes, Kojima wasn't involved, and was dev'd by a studio that makes actual games instead of boring 10 minutes long """""""""stealth"""""""" gameplay sessions that are just breaks for the godawful cutscenes.

I agree with you about the cutscenes, but the gameplay in MGS games are legit good, particularly in MGS5, which is one of my favorite games of this console generation and the best stealth-action game I've ever played. I wouldn't compare them at all with the "gameplay" of David Cage games. Whether that's all Kojima or his team, I don't know, but his studios make fun games.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
BOUNTY CLIPPED THROUGH MY DEFENDER AND GOT STUCK IN THE COCKPIT

quote:

-Once ship is destroyed the Bounties body is floating in space
-Accidentally fly your Defender into the Bounty's Body
-Body Clips through your ship and gets stuck on the instrument pannel of your cockpit.

NPC INSIDE CRATE COLISION

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I played all the MGS games via that MGS HD Collection on PS3 a couple years ago, that being the first time I had ever played one. Followed it up with MGS4 and 5.

As a review of Kojima, I don't remember a loving thing about most of the story as it was all weird conspiracy nonsense. The gameplay was fairly solid throughout although I imagine it was more interesting on its initial release than it was when I ended up playing it. MGS5 was a fairly big departure but I quite liked that one.

In the end, nothing particularly outstanding about them but solid. Maybe if he had made less weird-rear end storylines I would have cared to remember what was going on.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Norman Reedus himself was just talking about Kojima, and he's literally said "I met this guy Kojima, he hung out at my house, he seems like a nice and normal guy. Then we go outside and people fall over and start crying when they see him, and I'm like, whoa, who is this guy Kojima?"

For Norman Reedus, himself a TV star, to have that reaction about a celebrity, they have to have a massive, fanatical following.

I mean you have to imagine Reedus himself has a ton of fangirls, right? What would it take for him to be like "holy poo poo these guys are huge fans of Kojima" ?? There's definitely something unique about Kojima among gamers compared to basically any other game developer I can think of. I'm really struggling to think of anybody who commands the same clout and fanatical devotion that he does.

you have people saying chris roberts cured their blindness and buying up locks of richard garriotts hair and vials of his blood

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fidelitious posted:

I played all the MGS games via that MGS HD Collection on PS3 a couple years ago, that being the first time I had ever played one. Followed it up with MGS4 and 5.

As a review of Kojima, I don't remember a loving thing about most of the story as it was all weird conspiracy nonsense. The gameplay was fairly solid throughout although I imagine it was more interesting on its initial release than it was when I ended up playing it. MGS5 was a fairly big departure but I quite liked that one.

In the end, nothing particularly outstanding about them but solid. Maybe if he had made less weird-rear end storylines I would have cared to remember what was going on.

MGS1's gameplay was really groundbreaking when it came out, it helps if you played and experienced it then. 2 was a pretty influential as well. 3 less so, but still a very solid game, especially the version with the better camera. 4 is the only one I really didn't enjoy, even though it still wasn't bad. 5 is, again, is the best stealth game I've ever played, despite its issues (the empty open world, uneven mission design, the stupid skulls and boss fights).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You have crazy people over many C-list and D-list celebrities. That Romero AMA was hilarious for people fawning over him.

Although, in the words of Civvie11, he did make the gaming equivalent of Thriller.

It's the volume of crazy that really makes the grade. Roberts is all kinds of not that famous.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

his nibs posted:

this thread needs moma

Congratulations on making the world's greatest shitpost.

edit: But agree.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Games are by far the most unhinged members of any fandom genre by far. They are almost the pinnacle of the very definition of fanatics. I have spent some time around a few sports and acting celebrities and nothing touches on that level of psychosis that gamers bring to the table. Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Thom12255 posted:

Just a matter of building the house (of a 100 systems).

House of the Dying Fun