Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

smarxist posted:

The flippant tweet and headline does nothing to scratch the surface of how bugshit this is

https://twitter.com/malloy_online/status/1192542362045542400?s=19

quote:

The other day, Mr. Sinka ran into an old friend but had to tell her they could not continue speaking.

“I hadn’t seen her in six months, and it was extraordinarily exciting, super-stimulating, and I could feel how excited I was,” he said. “So I had to cut it off and I just said, ‘Listen, it’s not you, it’s me, doing this dopamine fast.’”

hopefully they get the fully authentic experience and commit suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

these aren't people. that isn't something a person does.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its because the people who would do something like this have such comfortable conflict free lives that they really might burn out on dopamine without having to do hard drugs for too long like a poor, so they have to simulate having a normal day or else suffer literal brain damage

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Larry Parrish posted:

they have to simulate having a normal day or else suffer literal brain damage

lol that owns

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

smarxist posted:

The flippant tweet and headline does nothing to scratch the surface of how bugshit this is

Tired: Being ultrarich and pursuing ever greater thrills until you need to sexually abuse and murder orphans for kicks
Wired: Whatever the gently caress that was

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A Russian troll farm posted:

Count Zero, William Gibson posted:

And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smarxist posted:

Oh so that's what the glowing dude was doing in the shipping container.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

These rich tech bro's should be given every opportunity to know what life is like without being able to ever feel happy.

https://twitter.com/ethics_centre/status/1192676887870480389

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That dopamine fasting thing can't possibly be in earnest. The human experience is impossibly vast but like... this is even less comprehensible than our moneyed elite having a literal rape temple stocked with their choice of middle school girls. :psyboom:

WAIT IT'S THE NEW YORK TIMES WHAT

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

like the dumb gimmick restaurant idea I had is putting a 3-star restaurant at the top of a ridiculous hike, on the grounds that food always tastes better after you've had to do a lot of exercise, and this is like the stupidest possible extrapolation of that in every possible way

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Driving ability in cancer patients receiving long-term morphine analgesia

“These results indicate that, in cancer patients receiving long-term morphine treatment with stable doses, morphine has only a slight and selective effect on functions related to driving.”

Definitely don’t volunteer it to a cop, though.
The phone thing is that you shouldn't be distracting yourself while driving a car, so maybe sidestep the whole issue and not poke any handheld electronic devices while actively driving and pull over if you need to take your medicine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Milo and POTUS posted:

If the cop decides to do something you won't have any problems in very short order.

officer involved removal of chronic pain

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tunicate posted:

like the dumb gimmick restaurant idea I had is putting a 3-star restaurant at the top of a ridiculous hike, on the grounds that food always tastes better after you've had to do a lot of exercise, and this is like the stupidest possible extrapolation of that in every possible way

Not only does a restaurant like that exist in my town, it has from the 1980's.

They used to serve exclusively deep-fried food and their original recipes are among the best I've ever tasted.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if the rich people want to know what its like to feel missrable and chemically unbalanced why dont they just get addicted to oxy

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Inceltown posted:

These rich tech bro's should be given every opportunity to know what life is like without being able to ever feel happy.

Oh cool, life is following MPD Psycho. Bad rear end.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

gently caress yeah I thought I was the only one who found him

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

its because the people who would do something like this have such comfortable conflict free lives that they really might burn out on dopamine without having to do hard drugs for too long like a poor, so they have to simulate having a normal day or else suffer literal brain damage

When I was a kid the occasional pulp novel where the insanely powerful aliens/elves did atrocities for fun confused me because, like, you have infinite money, why not just spend it on eating rad food and exploring the world and inventing new video game consoles?

Then I got old enough to pay attention to the world, and started nodding along sagely.

Now I'm back to step one, except my confusion is about why they're not just wiping out their own species for kicks like our rich are trying to do?

Turtlicious posted:

damnit i've been trying to get inside that thing all game

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Inceltown posted:

This choice was presumably made based on a paper from early this year that found that babies who were gene sequenced had better first year survival.

Which is almost certainly an artifact of the fact that rich people could afford it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only condition under which I, an adult capable of consent, would have my genome sequenced would be if it were analysed for inheritable diseases and then promptly deleted.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Shear Modulus posted:

if the rich people want to know what its like to feel missrable and chemically unbalanced why dont they just get addicted to oxy

just take a bunch of molly the day before you want to feel miserable, sheesh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

This choice was presumably made based on a paper from early this year that found that babies who were gene sequenced had better first year survival.

Which is almost certainly an artifact of the fact that rich people could afford it.

Surely the study would've controlled for income.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i've been dopamine fasting for years au naturale

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

The only condition under which I, an adult capable of consent, would have my genome sequenced would be if it were analysed for inheritable diseases and then promptly deleted.

Inherited diseases are towards the bottom of actual medical uses of individual genome sequencing.

Nowadays we use it to check if certain classes of drugs will work on you and what side effects are expected, determining the particular kind of cancer you've got and expected immune responses.

In fact, for most genetically influenced diseases that don't fit the single gene model, the risk assessment is non-scientific enough to be totally useless for legitimate medical work.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Surely the study would've controlled for income.

I'll have to look it up again, because it's been a while since I read it, but I think only in a secondary analysis to prove there was still any effect at all, but unconcerned with how much of the effect size disappeared and the primary conclusion was built off the simple correlation

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

I'll have to look it up again, because it's been a while since I read it, but I think only in a secondary analysis to prove there was still any effect at all, but unconcerned with how much of the effect size disappeared and the primary conclusion was built off the simple correlation

So, not performed by a biostats major.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Russian troll farm posted:

bored rich kids seeking variety in their lives

the people who invented it came up with it because when their startup started to reach the point where they actually had to do stuff besides messing around for fun, they got stressed out and decided to try "fasting" from work. from there, they tried extending the concept

quote:

The three of them graduated recently from the Rochester Institute of Technology, where they met and started working together. Their start-up was going through evolutions every few months. It began as a coffee extraction company that turned into a cannabinoid extraction company (much more profitable) that turned into a cannabinoid synthesis for sleep aid that turned into, now, sleep coaching.

Their job is to put their clients in various sleep gadgetry — the Dreem sleep headset, Oura sleep ring, Withings sleep mat — and test interventions.

Their apartment is clean and modern with an empty wine fridge and few decorations, save for a “Breaking Bad” poster.

Their usual schedule of all day, every day hacking away on different projects was too much. Investors and clients had demands. Their start-up iterations had turned into a real job.

“I’d never thought about fasting work,” Mr. Sinka said. “Once there was pressure around work, though, it became less fun, and I thought maybe we’ll try fasting work.”

Like a weekend? No, he said, they don’t have time to not work for that long.

But fasting from work got them thinking more about fasting everything.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I personally fast from work on the toilet at work every day, it's great.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

anything you need to know about not working im your man

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

quote:

Like a weekend? No, he said, they don’t have time to not work for that long.

As always, capitalism must be destroyed for the capitalists' own good as well as ours

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i would really love a comprehensive birth-register full genomic sweep of an entire national population over time, to do cool research on. inevitably, it'd end up getting used for incredibly evil poo poo, but that is all knowledge under capitalism so ymmv

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

would probably be just as good using mice or something though, but then you couldn't use existing medical infrastructure so i guess we have to expropriate everyone's most intimate information, no two ways around it

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Shear Modulus posted:

ugh what a prole thing to say, the whole point of slumming it is that you can return to your life of ease and pleasure whenever. who’s trying to get sad for real or in meaningful/permanent way lol

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh i would really love a comprehensive birth-register full genomic sweep of an entire national population over time, to do cool research on. inevitably, it'd end up getting used for incredibly evil poo poo, but that is all knowledge under capitalism so ymmv

There would be a lot of bastard kids outed.

"What do you mean I don't have Dad's DNA?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrUnderbridge posted:

There would be a lot of bastard kids outed.

"What do you mean I don't have Dad's DNA?"

That's already been happening with the home DNA testing kits. Last year there was a piece on the BBC with a bunch of boomers crying about how they never knew their real dad because their mom was loving the milk man 50 years ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Right up there with racist assholes learning they are 20% african.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

or harvard professors learning they are 0.0001% kind of native american, maybe

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

V. Illych L. posted:

would probably be just as good using mice or something though, but then you couldn't use existing medical infrastructure so i guess we have to expropriate everyone's most intimate information, no two ways around it

Turn the people into mice Bing bong so simple

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I know. Imagine a working class family from Oklahoma being part Native American. Unheard of!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol remember when warren's husband lied about being native too, but just for that cook book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

ugh what a prole thing to say, the whole point of slumming it is that you can return to your life of ease and pleasure whenever. who’s trying to get sad for real or in meaningful/permanent way lol
Pulp knows what's up

So does William Shatner I suppose