Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Any word if you can play this game without joy-cons? Just sent my for drift repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1192824394105704448?s=20

You can cancel your preorder for Pokemon Sword and Shield now if you had one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's what happens when you cut Ekans

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's what happens when you cut Ekans

They cut Bulbasaur but gave Farfetch'd an evolution. It's impossible to be a Pokefan!!!!!!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

I'm just trying to figure out why the dude's skin seems to be many shades lighter in the promotional shots than in game. At first I thought they lightened him for the Japanese release or something, but it seems to be the same for all of the regional shots/game footage. Maybe it's just a difference in lighting, but it seems a bit weird.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

They cut Bulbasaur but gave Farfetch'd an evolution. It's impossible to be a Pokefan!!!!!!

well yeah. how am I supposed to make my Coleslaw salad themed team if I have the leek but don't have any cabbages??

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Inzombiac posted:

They cut Bulbasaur
Is there a salad bowl pokemon now?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm just trying to figure out why the dude's skin seems to be many shades lighter in the promotional shots than in game. At first I thought they lightened him for the Japanese release or something, but it seems to be the same for all of the regional shots/game footage. Maybe it's just a difference in lighting, but it seems a bit weird.

Looks like lighting to me rather than malicious reasons. Anyone try the game yet? How’s it work single player?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Now this Stretchers game looks kind of cool. Me and my daughter love co-op games, so the Switch is amazing for this
It is amazing how good the Switch is for co-op and say what you will about their quality but the JoyCons are such a big part of that. I have a PS4 and I've only ever played multiplayer games online because there was no point in buying a second controller. But Switch? I have a Switch and a Pro Controller and that's 3 players right there. My buddy has a switch too so that's 5. And he actually has another pair of JoyCons so we can do up to 7 player with only two consoles. It's so easy to play local multiplayer with a Switch. I love it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Where do you think Sirfetch'd got his leek and leaf shield

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Araxxor posted:

I guess I don't get why they're not just powering through this. It's Pokemon. Remember that old picture of the "boycott Modern Warfare 2 until dedicated servers" Steam group where half the members were playing Modern Warfare 2? It's literally going to be that. I don't get what Nintendo has to gain from this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I guess I don't get why they're not just powering through this. It's Pokemon. Remember that old picture of the "boycott Modern Warfare 2 until dedicated servers" Steam group where half the members were playing Modern Warfare 2? It's literally going to be that. I don't get what Nintendo has to gain from this.

what they gain is people going 'hey that's good of nintendo'

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I shan’t be cancelling my Pokémon Sword preorder. Farewell

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Being able to cancel preorders is a good consumer friendly practice and they should do it for everything.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tender Bender posted:

Where do you think Sirfetch'd got his leek and leaf shield

:stonk:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Inzombiac posted:

yeah best thing about this new game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Ivysaur > Bulbasaur

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hey I'm having a weird problem with my Switch. When attempting to load one of my digital games, everything is fine. But when attempting to launch Smash Ultimate, which I have in cartridge form, the Nintendo logo pops up followed by the smash loading circle in the bottom right for a couple of seconds, then an endless black screen, no intro or anything.

Things I've tried: Putting system to sleep, exiting software and going back in, going into airplane mode, restarting the Switch, being disconnected from the internet, taking the cartridge out and putting it back in. None of them worked.

What DOES work is putting the system to sleep and waking it while the game is running, but that only fixes the game once and will have to be repeated each time it's launched. Any ideas what's causing this?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Can someone explain the current Poke controversy? I haven't been following the game, and couldn't really figure out what everyone was upset about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Beastie posted:

Can someone explain the current Poke controversy? I haven't been following the game, and couldn't really figure out what everyone was upset about.

It’s the first game in the core series to straight up omit a bunch of Pokémon from
Being obtainable or transferable.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Beastie posted:

Several hundred mons were excluded from the new game. This created two groups of bothered people:

1- people who are upset they can't use some Pokemon/import older mons that they've used in previous games.

2- people who are bothered by group 1.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't that backwards? If the angry people are going to buy the game anyway, offering to let them cancel costs Nintendo nothing while also defanging any complaints about being tricked by the prerelease info.

Araxxor posted:

Being able to cancel preorders is a good consumer friendly practice and they should do it for everything.

Also this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
:yeah:

Brother Entropy posted:

what they gain is people going 'hey that's good of nintendo'
Sure, I just don't know if that's really... of any value here? I guess I just think of Nintendo as faceless and benign in general and am not really mad at them over Dexit, just a little disappointed, so I'm clearly not the target audience.

edit: and hell yes all preorders should be cancellable, and all games refundable for the first few hours a la Steam honestly

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Power through what, these idiots are gonna end up buying the game later anyway

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wildtortilla posted:

Several hundred mons were excluded from the new game. This created two groups of bothered people:

1- people who are upset they can't use some Pokemon/import older mons that they've used in previous games.

"Stop being mad about video games." - Frog with sunglasses and hat

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wildtortilla posted:

What if I'm bothered by you? Which group am I?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Solution to not being able to import older Pokémon: in addition to permadeath, give them maximum lifespans. If they somehow survive enough fights, they hit a point where they have to retire. You can still go visit them, but they eventually succumb to disease or natural causes. Also have system like Jagged Alliance where serious enough injuries can't be fully recovered from.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The people passionate enough about Pokemon to be mad about the limited Pokedex are the absolute last people I can believe would sit there in righteous indignation while everyone but them plays the brand-new next-gen Pokemon game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

Solution to not being able to import older Pokémon: in addition to permadeath, give them maximum lifespans. If they somehow survive enough fights, they hit a point where they have to retire. You can still go visit them, but they eventually succumb to disease or natural causes. Also have system like Jagged Alliance where serious enough injuries can't be fully recovered from.

Also when the pokemons are really old you can throw them at enemies and have them explode for extra damage

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

American McGay posted:

What if I'm bothered by you? Which group am I?

Great point we need a third group.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

There's also people like me who are okay with it mostly, but are annoyed megas are cut. Especially when some of the Pokémon that got in are kinda unfun to use but have mega forms that make them much better. So like you have half completed lines.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are Pokemon Pokemon before they're caught? Its a bit presumptuous to call a wild-never-been-in-a-pocket-before creature a pocket monster.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Nurse Joy informs you that EEVEE is unlikely to be able to walk again. Use an anti-potion from your bag?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Are Pokemon Pokemon before they're caught? Its a bit presumptuous to call a wild-never-been-in-a-pocket-before creature a pocket monster.

all animals are called pokemon which suggests that the technology to put them in your pocket predates the development of language

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
When's Pokemon Ultimate?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, it’s insane that it’s not an option all the time.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pokemon aren't called Pokemon because they go inside your pocket, pockets are called pockets because they're the thing that Pokemons go into.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey I'm having a weird problem with my Switch. When attempting to load one of my digital games, everything is fine. But when attempting to launch Smash Ultimate, which I have in cartridge form, the Nintendo logo pops up followed by the smash loading circle in the bottom right for a couple of seconds, then an endless black screen, no intro or anything.

Things I've tried: Putting system to sleep, exiting software and going back in, going into airplane mode, restarting the Switch, being disconnected from the internet, taking the cartridge out and putting it back in. None of them worked.

What DOES work is putting the system to sleep and waking it while the game is running, but that only fixes the game once and will have to be repeated each time it's launched. Any ideas what's causing this?

Try turning it fully Off. Hold power for 10 seconds, then under Power Options or something you can put the thing full into off mode. I find that often fixes weirdness like this while Sleep or Restart doesn't always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Araxxor posted:

They do this with any game, even with games you’ve downloaded if you call them. You even keep your coins! This seems like a clickbait story