Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

General Dog posted:

It bothers me greatly that somewhere on the internet is a bad website that dumb people enjoy.

so log off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Simmons was novel for the time and also I was 14, we had some good times but I never want to read or hear him again

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Grantland was great; I never enjoyed Simmons as a writer but he at least knows good writing. Though I guess the Jonah Keri thing kind of dims it’s star a little bit.

I still like The Ringer and even enjoy the pop culture stuff. But it’s not quite the murderer’s row Grantland was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like that grant land was laid out in a way that was readable and that yuh could easily find article

Simmons was also behind 30 for 30 so that is a big success too

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Peak Grantland was the only website where I could go there, click on a link about something I didn't care about, and enjoy it like 75 percent of the time. It really was something special.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AndrewP posted:

Grantland was great; I never enjoyed Simmons as a writer but he at least knows good writing. Though I guess the Jonah Keri thing kind of dims it’s star a little bit.

I still like The Ringer and even enjoy the pop culture stuff. But it’s not quite the murderer’s row Grantland was.

They're just aiming for different things. Grantland had a lot more established names because it had Disney behind it, and it was one of the last big sites primarily meant to be consumed on a desktop so they did a lot more prestige longform stuff. The ringer is making almost all it's money from the podcast and video stuff, and the website is mostly short quick reads written with mobile users in mind.

He's definitely a good editor and producer, his writing has just always sucked and he has a lot of dumb guy opinions

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like I understand mobile is different than desktop but I can’t understand why that means every single website in the world is now terrible and unreadable

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

Like I understand mobile is different than desktop but I can’t understand why that means every single website in the world is now terrible and unreadable

Because people in general are awful in design and will do whatever the norm is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Jamboroo is back (at Vice): https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vb58ad/the-gig-economy-never-leaves-you

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Are we sure that Great Hill Partners isn't going to claim NFL picks and poop stories as their intellectual property?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

lol Magary was gonna jump ship to Sports Illustrated but for that ship bursting into flames a month before Deadspin's did

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It won’t happen because Drew partly built his career on gleefully hating on Bill Simmons, but The Ringer would be a pretty good venue for Deadcast.

Though at this point it’s become clear Barstool is a much worthier target than Simmons ever was.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1191414498541920256

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/domcosentino/status/1192432148550234113

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AndrewP posted:

It won’t happen because Drew partly built his career on gleefully hating on Bill Simmons, but The Ringer would be a pretty good venue for Deadcast.

Though at this point it’s become clear Barstool is a much worthier target than Simmons ever was.

Bill can be a petty guy so it may not happen regardless, but I don’t think Drew has ever said anything about Bill that couldn’t be painted as good-natured ribbing.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I mean Charles Pierce ruthlessly dunked on Simmons in a review of his book and he ended up hiring him a few years later. I don't think Drew has ever said anything that scathing , although he's not the heavy weight Pierce is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Next to BS, we have Drew Magary on to compare former Deadspin writers to characters on The Wire"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

To share Pierce 's review

https://deadspin.com/you-are-not-the-cosmos-a-review-of-bill-simmonss-book-5403430

Reading it again now and it might be one of my favourite review essays ever.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

BWV posted:

To share Pierce 's review

https://deadspin.com/you-are-not-the-cosmos-a-review-of-bill-simmonss-book-5403430

Reading it again now and it might be one of my favourite review essays ever.

quote:

1.) Malcolm Gladwell Should Shut Up: Anybody who writes, "The other part about being a fan is that a fan is always an outsider" is pretty plainly from Neptune. And that is not even to mention the fact that, as we shall see in a moment, Simmons long ago stopped being any kind of an "outsider," even though he may never shut up about the fact that, long ago, the editors at the Boston Herald failed to recognize his genius.

Thank you for reminding me of this amazing review.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I am not sure I can put this into words super effectively, but I feel like what the Ringer is doing is very different from what most/all of the Deadspin writers were doing and that it'd be a pretty awkward fit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Deadspin writers would balk at having to shoehorn HBO content into everything even if they do love Succession.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Voodoofly posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this amazing review.

quote:

Reading Bill on "Vegas" is what the original Ocean's 11 would have been like, had Anthony Michael Hall been in the Rat Pack
So, so good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Manhattan is an Assclown by Drew Magary

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A decent bit of Drew's shtick feels like it's making fun of the way Simmons used to write but I'm not sure most people would even realize that now because he's been pumping out multiple columns a week forever and Simmons stopped writing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

A decent bit of Drew's shtick feels like it's making fun of the way Simmons used to write

This honestly feels like you're giving him too much credit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/profstewartrk/status/1192213126340464641

This is a cool interview.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That was really good. Thanks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

What? He got mad about it in baseball all the time back when he still wrote about that and still regularly throws a fit if someone brings up stats that contradict any basketball opinion he formed while watching the three NBA games a year he watches now

E: he called Robert Horry one of the like 80 best basketball players of all time in his book

And he was right :colbert:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think often of that article Simmons wrote about where the '07 Patriots would rank among the great Boston championships a week before the super bowl. And it ended with his dad getting pissed at him for writing it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That Leitch piece about Simmons from 2009 was truly godawful.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

I am not sure I can put this into words super effectively, but I feel like what the Ringer is doing is very different from what most/all of the Deadspin writers were doing and that it'd be a pretty awkward fit.

I agree and I'm not suggesting that they hire a bunch of ex-Deadspinners or anything. Just that the (former) Deadcast in particular is a popular, ready-made show they could absorb in their podcast empire if they wanted.

MourningView posted:

A decent bit of Drew's shtick feels like it's making fun of the way Simmons used to write but I'm not sure most people would even realize that now because he's been pumping out multiple columns a week forever and Simmons stopped writing.

I'm sure Bill hasn't forgotten.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the funniest petty thing he did was he deleted the footnote mentions of both Pierce and the Free Darko guys from the paperback because he was so salty about the reviews he got. Like we said though, eventually he hired Pierce so I guess he got over it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

man i miss freedarko

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

MourningView posted:

Magary's always had a schtick, it was much more irritating when he wasn't as good a writer/as insightful as he is today. But it's always frustrated me a little bit that he and others don't see how much Bill Simmons they have in them- they just make different references over and over. Magary is still a much better writer, but part of the reason schtick works is because it's comforting and easy for the reader to slip into.

Also, Deadcast could go on Ringer without a problem, but Deadspin as a whole would be hard pressed to fit in. Undeadspin could get set up as a vertical though, if Disney had any balls and realized how they hosed up by killing an excellent loss leader in Grantland.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think espn can have a media outlet they will criticize the nfl

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

euphronius posted:

I don’t think espn can have a media outlet they will criticize the nfl

That's true- it'd be real hard to work Undeadspin into their sports coverage.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1192883340891676672?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol .

He’s right tho he should know he does the same for Ainge

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1192876419992444928?s=20

Adbot