Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, when you think about it, "I am known for playing bad games and not being a total drama queen" is kind of a sad statement. I wouldn't want that to be my day job either. No wonder the guy is burning out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Black August posted:

My legit horror game idea is still a black comedy game where you are a Dog In A Horror Movie, with requisite Dog Cannot Die ability - so your job is to find different ways to use that to gently caress with the antagonist to save as many of the humans as you can

The true/special ending where everyone is saved would have the villain figure out how to shift the tone to Horror Movie Where The Dog DOES Die - but then you twist it back around by resurrecting as a nightmare dog horror who eats the loving villain and happily dogs off into the sunset with the humans as a superpupper with something like an adorable hockey mask or a xenomorph body with normal dog head pokin out

Untitled Goose Game, but you're loving with a bunch of slashers trying to terrorize a summer camp

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, when you think about it, "I am known for playing bad games and not being a total drama queen" is kind of a sad statement. I wouldn't want that to be my day job either. No wonder the guy is burning out.

I think he thinks so too, but I don't see the problem with that, that sounds pretty rad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd just be constantly stressing about chasing this industry that puts out so much garbage, and hoping that it's not too terrible that it actively draws people away from you. Having to trawl every source of indie horror hoping to find something you can use in a video with enough content, the constant need to put these things out daily, and that's just when you're not on camera, ugh. What a grind that'd be on your spirit.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

Untitled Goose Game, but you're loving with a bunch of slashers trying to terrorize a summer camp

FUND IT, NOW

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Black August posted:

FUND IT, NOW

poo poo that'd just be some excellent Halloween DLC to Goose Game.

Well, maybe a little late for Halloween, but still.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

rake in a crystal lake

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

A horror game set in an inhabited old manor house...

Clive Barker's Undying pretty much does this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Skyscraper posted:

rake in a crystal lake

:sbahj:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SimonChris posted:

Well, it's still inhabited when you get there, anyway. Not so sure about after.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skyscraper posted:

rake in a crystal lake

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SimonChris posted:

Now there's a game that could use a modern engine update. I'm surprised still at how much fun it was.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fil5000 posted:

Now there's a game that could use a modern engine update. I'm surprised still at how much fun it was.

One mouse button for gun, one mouse button for Wizard poo poo is a surprisingly underused control scheme.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Now that you say it, I do not think I've seen many games other than Bioshock 2 use it, even though it worked so well in that game also.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the only ones that spring to mind are Undying and the Bioshock games (although I've not played 1 for so long I don't know if that was even the controls for it).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, the only ones that spring to mind are Undying and the Bioshock games (although I've not played 1 for so long I don't know if that was even the controls for it).

you had to switch between the phasmid and the guns in 1. it's dumb and 2 fixed it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pretty sure Skyrim did it too

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can more generally dual-wield anything in Skyrim, so I suppose that would count.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

that's not really anything he's ever said though, he's not feeling burnt out because that's his reputation and it's 'sad', he's just saying he's finding it tedious playing these long-form indie horror games that basically are all identical. he's not against playing 'bad games' and giving commentary, he made it pretty clear it's just these hour + long vids that just involve walking around an old manor reading notes about deep dark family secrets etc. just don't inspire him to make good content.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Night10194 posted:

One mouse button for gun, one mouse button for Wizard poo poo is a surprisingly underused control scheme.

Dishonored does this a little, but it has to have one button for sword, one button for Gun And Wizard poo poo (same thing tbh)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fil5000 posted:

I would be there day one for Undying redux.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Necrovision does it too :getin:

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The Necrovision punch is a worthy successor to the Dark Messiah kick

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
King's Field games had a dedicated attack button and a dedicated magic button. This was important because some of the game's swords had secret magic in them where if you pressed the magic button while mid-swing, you'd do a special magic attack like launching a giant boulder at the enemy or things like that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Did Dark Messiah do that too? That game ruled

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The kick button was how most of the magic happened, yes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Kick + spike walls in more games please

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007
This may not be the place for it, but I’m trying to remember a PC game I owned late 90s/early 2000s and Google has failed me.

If I remember correctly you played a film noir-style detective investigating paranormal/horror(?) themed storylines. I’m pretty sure I remember there being a werewolf involved in one of the missions somewhere.

I don’t really remember anything else except that it was super difficult, at least for me back then. Been trying to track it down for awhile. Figured I’d see if anyone else remembered it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is it Nocturne?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sounds like Nocturne

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 10, 2019

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007
That it is! Thanks, been trying to remember that one for awhile.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nocturne rules.

One of my favourite horror games

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jesus that’s a blast from the past. I’m getting a used copy on Amazon, hopefully it still works.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Jesus that’s a blast from the past. I’m getting a used copy on Amazon, hopefully it still works.

The first Blair Witch game runs on the same engine, is by the same devs (I think) and also features a character from it

Edit: I think Bloodrayne was originally a sequel too?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, Rayne was originally Svetlana. Castle in Bloodrayne is supposed to be the one from Nocturne's first chapter. I need to see if it works on my current computer, I was partway through the Frankenstein's Mobster chapter.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Haha that owns, I love Bloodrayne even through how bad it is and also how egregious the jiggle is.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This Nocturne love warms my heart.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Disposable Scud posted:

This Nocturne love warms my heart.

I've been interested since there was a LP of the Blair Witch game forever ago but I haven't seen one pop up for Nocturne

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Isn't Nocturn virtually impossible to get running on a modern PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

According to this guy on the GOG forums, it's doable, but you need to get rid of the intro movie and watch it in a separate viewer or something.

That is not an uncommon issue, I recently tried playing Wizardry 8 again and the game would crash whenever I started a new game. The solution was to just remove all the video files, the game runs perfectly fine in every other regard.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 11, 2019