Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
They add an item that makes you immune to stealth rocks the same gen they remove articuno and moltres. What a cruel joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
:kimchi:

Catalina posted:

"Man, the discussions about Pokemon Sword and Shield have been a total shitshow, I don't mind if people are unhappy, but I just wanna sit back and chill with people and talk about the new starters and stuff, people who can be disappointed without being overemotional about it and writing 10 paragraph essays that boil down to 'please market your game to me, and not to 5-10 year olds'"
Oh yeah, Something Awful! That always had a pretty good community, I should check what's going on - "

:yikes:
at the very least, most of us are adults

personally, I just wanna play with centiskorch :3:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blaziken386 posted:

most of my friends are either PC gamers or too poor to drop $300 on a switch

friend, you got us

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also people were talking about mons having silly heights earlier- friendly reminder that charizard is 5'7" and blastoise is 5'3"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raserys posted:

toby fox is the most powerful man in the world

Can't wait to find out sans is in Pokemon too now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think this thread has been significantly more reasonable and sensible than, say, Twitter or Reddit. Not a high bar to clear, I know. There's been arguments and disagreements but not the full on meltdowns you see everywhere else.

Yea I looked at Reddit and hilariously that place is full of nothing but not just Dexit meltdowns but weird, like, over dramatic protest art and other insane things, plus just classic poo poo that didn't happen like 'I'm a third grade teacher and one child was in tears over furret not being in SwSh so don't tell me it's just old people!!!!'

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also people were talking about mons having silly heights earlier- friendly reminder that charizard is 5'7" and blastoise is 5'3"

Confirms that Venusaur is the best.

Injuryprone fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 8, 2019

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think this thread has been significantly more reasonable and sensible than, say, Twitter or Reddit. Not a high bar to clear, I know. There's been arguments and disagreements but not the full on meltdowns you see everywhere else.

I'll take it. :)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Injuryprone posted:

Confirms that Venasaur is the best.

another :airquote: fan :airquote: who hasn't even bothered to learn its name in the last 21 years

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VenASSuar

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Smugly correcting people's spelling and/or grammar has always been tiresome and just makes you look childish, hth

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like clefabble

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Vynosear is the original kanto starter who is cool and good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
i have always been a fan of coughing and wheezing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Appleton is 1'4"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

:hmmyes:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

Appleton is 1'4"

my apple son is suitably small

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

Get this, they are both mechanics and features in need of improvement.

Trade evolutions were a neato way to showcase that trading is one of the core aspect of the game, but it was annoying back when it was through link cables and it is still annoying now because unless you have a friend with a compatible game, there is no guarantee you get your pokemon back.
GTS meanwhile needs better filtering, better searching. A simple option to filter away all legendaries would go a long way.

Yeah trade evolutions just don't make sense conceptually. You trade something as an exchange, doing a trade just to trade back just for evolution kind of flies in the face of it. You're also putting a lot of faith in the other person actually sending it back, which I remember was the cause of a lot of playground fights and ultimately why the game got banned at my school.

That said, I wouldn't mind it so much if you could just flag a pokemon as a 'trade back' so you could put up something like a Kadabra and have it automatically trade back to you after the initial trade evolution is complete.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like clefabble

Now you've got me thinking of a Clefairy mixed with a Dragon Quest Babble/Metabble.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I just really want to play the game next week. I think, despite everything, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I just really want to play the game next week. I think, despite everything, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.

Mods?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Aren't Nidoking/queen like 4" even?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Don't know who those are but if you're reffering to Nedoküng and Niedequeens yes, they are.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

My favorite Pokeman is Magnemight :black101:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I choose to give as much credence to Pokédex figures as I do it’s claims that Grimer come from X-rays from the moon or the fossil freaks being natural creatures.

Charizard and Blastoise are at least eight feet tall and nobody can tell me otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

Did anyone else have parents who bought into the whole Satanic Panic rush that Pokemon had, by the way? Mine sure did. I wasn't allowed to have any psychic or ghost pokemon. (That they knew of at least, because even kid me knew that was loving stupid.)

We somehow dodged the pokemon panic, think my dad had become slightly more human by then. We were, however, forbidden from watching Smurfs or CareBears/Rainbow Brite. Also weren't allowed to think about Dungeons & Dragons. I think Smurfs were maybe communist and honestly looking back I have to assume CareBears was banned based on some weird homophobic concern. Oh yeah and Simpsons and King of the Hill were both banned too, so I only watched them at moms. I think those were banned on base of being too secular/liberal. Felt arbitrary even at the time.

mutata posted:

Man, I'm so out of touch, whenever y'all get into the weeds of battles I instantly get lost. Gotta look up a guide for newbs or something. So many hidden stats...

You can beat the original game using just your starter and four different water type attacks. There hasn't been a game since any more challenging than that. I would bet every pokemon game could be beaten using only the first pokemon you get, using basically just the first attacking move you're given. The pokemon you're using, the moves it has, the item it holds, and the stats it has only ever gain relevance in PvP, and even then, only in specific PvP circles. You literally have to go out of your way to make the games complicated.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 8, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Funky Valentine posted:

Aren't Nidoking/queen like 4" even?

the moon radiation keeps them smol

https://twitter.com/zuki_nyanko/status/1192065389330436097

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All pokemon heights are relative to a 10 year old boy. If they're taller than 4 feet tall they're huge, if they're around 4 feet they're big, and then everything else is pet sized.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I just tried doing that thing I do every new gen and build a final team of 6 from the revealed new Pokemon up to that point and with this gen I just can't, there's too many I want to use and I absolutely will be switching mons in and out of my party constantly.

This is why people keep buying Pokemon games btw - not to buy it full price, catch literally just Ekans, and retire contentedly til you can catch Ekans once more in the next gen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

autumnal oddium posted:

dugtrio at least has the mystery going for it. and magnemite has an insanely good aesthetic. the klink line...... :whitewater:

What a bizarre take. I can understand not liking magnetite and klink lines, but if you like one and hate the other, seems just like traditionalism. Cute, floating, chunks of metal tech stuff. If seeing impossible gear arrangement bothers you on magic creatures, that's a lol

Framboise posted:

I got little use out of the GTS because even for a lot of simple things, people were making pretty ridiculous demands for trades. No, I'm not gonna give you a level 80 rare Pokemon for your breeding chaff. Just gimme the other starters I don't have!

Wonder trade was more fun even if you end up with a lot of low effort lv. 2-5 trash, because getting the occasional good and cool Pokemon is like cracking a chase rare out of a pack of magic cards or a mobage gacha. It's exciting!

The trick to GTS was to put up those ridiculous requests yourself. I was constantly surprised at how much rare or cool poo poo I got for posting up mediocre egg rejects, being in a beast ball is dope, but a beast ball version of route 1 trash is still not worth past game exclusives imo. Still, it works.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 8, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
gonna be funny when Home gets phased out after a generation or two and we all have to manually funnel our mons from Home to the latest mainline games to Pokemon Place™ or w/e to be able to keep them

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Blaziken386 posted:

most of my friends are either PC gamers or too poor to drop $300 on a switch

Wait there are PC gamers who don't own a Switch? Like what even are you doing?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Being smart with money and not spending $300 on a faulty console.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello this is my favorite pokeman, Whig Leigh Tough.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1192902516297682944

Serebii touching the poop.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I don't think they'll actually read it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

drat hope she sees this, man!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The drama surrounding Dexit might end up more entertaining than the game itself at this rate :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Have we gotten any definitive clarification if Flapple/Appletun are version-exclusive evos, item evos, or version-exclusive item evos?