Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apparently the cool new thing in consumerism police state is buying your own automated license plate reader that automatically reports back to the cloud and gives your HOA the ability to track vehicles coming in and out of the neighborhood:

https://www.flocksafety.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Apparently the cool new thing in consumerism police state is buying your own automated license plate reader that automatically reports back to the cloud and gives your HOA the ability to track vehicles coming in and out of the neighborhood:

I'm going to suggest this to my burbclave.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Going there gave me a warning about porch pirates (ie people who steal packages), and I am just seeing a future where you touch a package to see if it's yours and a robot shoots you while saying "citizen that is not your package".

(It is actually your package you notice as you bleed out.)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Colonel Cancer posted:

I personally fast from work on the toilet at work every day, it's great.

I'm fasting from work at my desk right now!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

foobardog posted:

Going there gave me a warning about porch pirates (ie people who steal packages), and I am just seeing a future where you touch a package to see if it's yours and a robot shoots you while saying "citizen that is not your package".

There is nothing surburbanites are more certain of than their belief that anyone walking through their neighborhood that they don't recognize is there to steal their precious amazon bullshit.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

bag em and tag em posted:

There is nothing surburbanites are more certain of than their belief that anyone walking through their neighborhood that they don't recognize is there to steal their precious amazon bullshit.

even if someone is trying to steal it, helping the pigs entrench the surveillance state isn’t worth whatever was ordered

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

even if someone is trying to steal it, helping the pigs entrench the surveillance state isn’t worth whatever was ordered
Unless it's the goal of the one paying for the surveillance. Remember that Uber's value lie in the destruction of labor, for which the billions and billions of dollars hemorrhaged are chump change.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Tubgoat posted:

Unless it's the goal of the one paying for the surveillance. Remember that Uber's value lie in the destruction of labor, for which the billions and billions of dollars hemorrhaged are chump change.

oh it definitely is, suburbanites would be delighted to see someone go to prison for years over “hanging out suspiciously” near their house to say nothing of taking a package. they looooove that those cameras have a continuous warrant deal with the cops, it’s a big selling point for them. I was speaking more in general terms, the companies and their intended customers are all in

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

foobardog posted:

It was Harry Tuttle’s package.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

sticking one of these outside my police department's parking lot and livestreaming the results

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxieSatan posted:

As always, capitalism must be destroyed for the capitalists' own good as well as ours

lmfao. hey, rich kids, if you cant keep office hours without closing maybe dont start a business

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

and leaving it unsecured so anyone can grab your database

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

We regret to inform you that we discovered that a breach occurred 9 months ago in which data may have been exfiltrated. We learned of this breach 4 weeks ago when we discovered data being exfiltrated in massive quantities. We want to assure you these incidents are not indicative of our continuous hypervigilance for your safety and security, in person and in the cloud. To help alleviate any future concerns, we have requested infosec operations to be regularly audited by <cia front company>, a leader in their field.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wow let's give HOAs even more power and the ability to act like the bored busy bodies.

Does it have upgrades to allow you to detect black thugs invading your gated community?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
wait until the dopamine fasters get a hold of some Indian philosophy it will be magical

like what if the upper class based their entire ethos around depriving oneself of pleasure and wrote epics about how doing it gives you dbz powers? whoops way ahead of you can i tell you about Lord Shiva?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

etalian posted:

Wow let's give HOAs even more power and the ability to act like the bored busy bodies.

Does it have upgrades to allow you to detect black thugs invading your gated community?

Why would it need to be upgraded to perform it's primary function? And you can trust that your data won't get shared or hacked. Just look at these two trustworthy lads:

Jaxxon Lungis, CEO

Kashton Kynlee, CTO

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao those cannot be real names

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Why would it need to be upgraded to perform it's primary function? And you can trust that your data won't get shared or hacked. Just look at these two trustworthy lads:

Jaxxon Lungis, CEO

Kashton Kynlee, CTO

gently caress, the indigo children have grown up and are making businesses

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

What they ordered was surveillance capitalism, and it is precisely what they want.

White people are absolutely convinced that they will be the victim of a violent crime because their local news is 60% crime reporting and 40% sports and weather.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

lmao those cannot be real names

Right?

I know the simulation argument is just moral relativism for tech bros but look at these lovely names

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Jaxxon Lungis, CEO

Kashton Kynlee, CTO

lmao

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Jaxxon Lungis, CEO

Kashton Kynlee, CTO

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
how is dopamine fasting any different than joining a monastery? Asking for a friend.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

autism ZX spectrum posted:

how is dopamine fasting any different than joining a monastery? Asking for a friend.

you can stop doing the dopamine fast whenever you want

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

smarxist posted:

The flippant tweet and headline does nothing to scratch the surface of how bugshit this is

https://twitter.com/malloy_online/status/1192542362045542400?s=19
That's an onion article. You can't convince me it's not.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

fabergay egg posted:

you can stop doing the dopamine fast whenever you want

you can stop the dopamine fast by reading my posts

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Feral Integral posted:

you can stop the dopamine fast by reading my posts

my experience has been very much the opposite

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Trabisnikof posted:

all the webpages for the doorbell cams and other iot cams are so fuckin' strongly designed to make home owners paranoid as all hell (well more so)

that webpage is impressive in its scare tacticals too

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

all the webpages for the doorbell cams and other iot cams are so fuckin' strongly designed to make home owners paranoid as all hell (well more so)

that whole footer is amazing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bulgakov posted:

“Well, I’m not saying it wasn’t safe, it’s just perhaps not quite as safe as some of the other ones.”

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Tempora Mutantur posted:

that whole footer is amazing

it is so gross :barf:

I had to make myself close it instead of looking at it for too long and scowling to death

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that same basic language and tone is used on similar product's pages

its a new neighborhood cop industrial complex

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick when someone starts asking about how safe particular places are or talking about how unsafe that area is is to do a mental substitution of “white” for “safe.” That’s usually what they are trying to find out.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

it is so gross :barf:

I had to make myself close it instead of looking at it for too long and scowling to death

I couldn't help it

I clicked on "success stories" under the "solved crimes" section and read one

I don't know why

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

your insinuation is an insult to bobson dugnutt and anyone they would associate with :radcat:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone see the latest Frontline about AI? The second segment is about some douchebag that started a driverless trucking company. That poo poo is terrifying. Sure it works going from California to Arizona, but those are perfectly ideal weather conditions, and it only goes on one freeway.

Anyway he said he thinks these things will be commonly on the road nationwide within five years. mmk

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Trabisnikof posted:

In B4 the article detailing how they were using video to train a neural network and selling time on the network to local governments.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

The trick when someone starts asking about how safe particular places are or talking about how unsafe that area is is to do a mental substitution of “white” for “safe.” That’s usually what they are trying to find out.

I've lived in some very rough neighborhoods but as far as ive been able to tell the only real crime is tweakers trying to rifle through your stuff and that pretty much happens everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larry Parrish posted:

I've lived in some very rough neighborhoods but as far as ive been able to tell the only real crime is tweakers trying to rifle through your stuff and that pretty much happens everywhere

Boomers are basically ancient dragons rotting on their hoard.