Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

I work for a department of my state's government and I have also had some colleagues who have the same mindset. It's so completely alien; like why would you sit for two weeks on a ticket that takes you all of five minutes to complete?

I'm not constantly stressed out or overworked, either; I get things done as they come in and manage my time wisely. The emptier my pending queue is, the better.

My mindset is simple: I do tickets now so I don't have to do more/escalated tickets later.

Edit for new page content: pissing me off is hard-coded values in our software for an item we know changes each year, and a new dev ticket gets filed each year, and we still use the hard coded value because it's faster to dev. Just do it right already!

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo pissing me off: I just approved buying Lucidchart licenses for my whole team but my request MUST have my VP approve because a manager approval is needed. Yay processes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New developer hire just got given these for readin' up on

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your workplace is actively sabotaging his career

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh yeah, well check out our bookshelf!

(no one uses these, they are discarded books from someone that retired that no one ever got around to throwing away, and yes that's a dead plant in the lower left)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I really like old computer books, as long as I have some bookshelf space I'll never throw away stuff like a Quick Basic 4.5 book.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm Windows NT Web Server.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m the 80486 architecture

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've got an intel 86/88, 186/188 User's Manual on my shelf. No pic, forgot my phone today.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm the Building Internet Firewalls

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

xzzy posted:

(no one uses these, they are discarded books from someone that retired that no one ever got around to throwing away, and yes that's a dead plant in the lower left)

I like to imagine that the giant XML book is just pictures of people screaming and crying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

taqueso posted:

I really like old computer books, as long as I have some bookshelf space I'll never throw away stuff like a Quick Basic 4.5 book.

I do have an Amiga DOS manual on the shelf at home, pure nostalgia.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I will never throw out my O'Reilly Unix manual with the tarsier on it, from around 1998.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I will never read the copy of The Phoenix Project my boss gave me on my first day.

I will use it to prop up my tablet when watching videos during lunch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
That face when you took the afternoon off, but in the morning you start a four hour database conversion process for an important customer, and at hour 3 the server kernel panics corrupting the database and you have to start all over again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Phoenix Project is an ok book, it is really light reading and the story, while somewhat cheesy/predicatable I guess you could say, is not horrible.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

MF_James posted:

The Phoenix Project is an ok book, it is really light reading and the story, while somewhat cheesy/predicatable I guess you could say, is not horrible.

It's a children's book for IT managers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Well, it’s good to know they wrote it at the appropriate level for the target audience.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

hell yeah.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My favorite part of that book is the compliance manager that goes through an Office Space like transformation following his nervous breakdown.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss: "there's a lot of good stuff in these books"

Me: DO NOT FOLLOW WNY OF THE PRWCTICES IN THOSE BOOKS

Those fucks use SourceSafe still, too

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I enjoyed Phoenix Project. Ultimately the lessons of

- Don't have bad processes
- Good processes you can't stick to are still bad processes
- Don't let your best tech be your bottleneck

are imparted by example in an easily digestible way. Plus the bit about the failed SAN read like an IT mystery novel.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The other director's department is entering the slow season and is cutting a shift.

My department is doing a new product next month and I'm adding a shift.

You'd think we could float those people along for three weeks and transfer them but nooooo, layoff and then I have to split mine into two and boost the staffing with newbies :rolleyes:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

The other director's department is entering the slow season and is cutting a shift.

My department is doing a new product next month and I'm adding a shift.

You'd think we could float those people along for three weeks and transfer them but nooooo, layoff and then I have to split mine into two and boost the staffing with newbies :rolleyes:

Not just a pain in the rear end for you, but a pointless cruelty for the guy getting laid off. Double whammy!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I like to imagine that the giant XML book is just pictures of people screaming and crying.

Pretty sure the XML book is just a printout of the XML representation of the book’s ISBN.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Decided the plural of an MS Access database is called a Hydra

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

xzzy posted:

One of the other analysts in the office put his copy of "Windows 7 for Dummies" on the shelf above his computer.

Which, of course, prompted me to display my copy of "PCs for Dummies" (found among my late uncles' belongings) and my copy of the Readers Digest "How To Do Just About Anything On The Internet" (found while helping my mom move).

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Where I work had an office close a few years back.
Managers brought us a bunch of tv screens. Mounted them to a wall and put completely useless data on them.

Time passes. Three more added.

They crash occasionally. Don't always update and when they do are completely useless, like a list of ticket numbers that cant be read at a distance anyway.
We are up to 10 screens now running 24/7, zero use or utility apart from making us look like a poser command center.

Most recently they paid a bunch of money to move a very big digital whiteboard, wall mount it.
What for? No one knows. Its ok though, they paid about a thousand dollars to get it installed only to find it doesn't work. No licence for the end of life embedded xp that makes the whiteboard function actually work.
Test it before nah? That would make sense.

Did I mention that they had to take a working analog whiteboard down to make room for it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fist4jesus posted:

Where I work had an office close a few years back.
Managers brought us a bunch of tv screens. Mounted them to a wall and put completely useless data on them.

Time passes. Three more added.

They crash occasionally. Don't always update and when they do are completely useless, like a list of ticket numbers that cant be read at a distance anyway.
We are up to 10 screens now running 24/7, zero use or utility apart from making us look like a poser command center.

Most recently they paid a bunch of money to move a very big digital whiteboard, wall mount it.
What for? No one knows. Its ok though, they paid about a thousand dollars to get it installed only to find it doesn't work. No licence for the end of life embedded xp that makes the whiteboard function actually work.
Test it before nah? That would make sense.

Did I mention that they had to take a working analog whiteboard down to make room for it?

So crack the XP install and call it a day. Nobody's gonna lose sleep over it, and you'll have something functional to play with.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

5er posted:

TeamViewer is funny.

Seems if you don't make an account with their site, don't use their 'easy access' option, you can use TV indefinitely without getting busted for 'commercial' use. But! Make an account, and use their easy access, and it doesn't matter whether or not your use is personal or commercial, they'll flag you commercial eventually and ban your mac addresses until you pay for their stuff.

We had this (and for like important poo poo too like pager duty first responders) and I replaced all of it with Splashtop Business for super cheap. Like 10 accounts cost like what 1 TV account would be. It's not perfect but actually quite good. I like how it natively maps my three monitors at work to my three monitors at home, and that there's an android/iOS client as well.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So crack the XP install and call it a day. Nobody's gonna lose sleep over it, and you'll have something functional to play with.

Because its not my problem?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Speaking of old books... anyone know where I can find the old DoD rainbow series books in physical format? I've always wanted that big red one

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

New developer hire just got given these for readin' up on

Good monitor stand. Ergonomics are important.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

We had this (and for like important poo poo too like pager duty first responders) and I replaced all of it with Splashtop Business for super cheap. Like 10 accounts cost like what 1 TV account would be. It's not perfect but actually quite good. I like how it natively maps my three monitors at work to my three monitors at home, and that there's an android/iOS client as well.

If it comes down to having to pay for something, I'll bear that in mind! Most of my students have fallen back on VNC/tigerVNC.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

This year's xmas bonuses are cancelled for everyone and I just got sent a surveymonkey questionnaire about experiences of company reorganisations and what management can do to make them easier.
I think things are going great here!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I think things are going great here!

Username/post combo

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Pissing me off today: the least important person (in my opinion) in this meeting is the one who's asking for us to push the time back.

I'd seriously like to deny their request, but they're 1/3 of the participants and the whole point of this meeting was to get them on the same page as far as our development priorities.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I’m writing this in a conference room waiting for a recruiter to call me (scheduled for ~30 minutes ago). Normally I’d just go back to work and write off that company, but after the third round of layoffs this year at my current job, and all of IT getting invited to a mystery meeting on a Friday afternoon in December, I’m torn. On the one hand I’ve always job-hunted for places where I would enjoy working, but on the other hand it’s becoming increasingly apparent that I need to find anywhere that isn’t shipping my job overseas, probably by next month.

Also I’m about to lose my poo poo at the service desk for not reading incoming tickets, and just shotgunning incidents into whatever queue they feel like in the moment. Except I have to pretend it’s all ok and just keep my head down, because I need the paycheck until I can find something else.

:shepface:

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
If it's a 3rd party recruiter, I'd go ahead and wait/reschedule, as they're not always a good representation of the company they're hiring for.

We had a similar situation where I ended up hiring an amazing fit for our team through no effort on the recruiter's part. Once he told us how bad the recruitment process was, we parted ways with the recruitment firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yeah, third party, for a mystery client. Those always drive me nuts because I feel like they’re hiding an employer with a potentially-negative reputation, but again, impending layoffs. :/