Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Milk stout with actual milk, jesus christ what a bad idea.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh dear.

Oh, so I'm gonna be in Anaheim next month; if I only had time to drop by one or two breweries thereabouts, where should I go?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I mean, I have no qualms with drinking a canned Starbucks coffee drink, so replacing the water with beer shouldn't be a big deal.

Still seems gross though

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Toebone posted:

I mean, I have no qualms with drinking a canned Starbucks coffee drink, so replacing the water with beer shouldn't be a big deal.

Still seems gross though

Yeah but comparing a small brewery like Weldworks to a commercial giant like Starbucks... I'm willing to be their QC isn't even in the same galaxy as Starbucks'.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

I'm not mad at this

:thunk:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Deschutes Jubelale is consistently great. That is all.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Rofl i hope they pasteurized it cause that's going rancid asap

If its high abv, which it is because its a gimmick stout, it wont spoil. So all the curdled milk bits will definitely be safe to drink

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
It's actually only 5.9% lol, which explains what looked like a surprisingly low price point

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Beer Thread 3: all the curdled milk bits will definitely be safe to drink

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Beer Thread 3: Miller High Life poured into a box of Whoppers

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hopewell Brewing packaged a West Coast IPA and I bought that poo poo immediately because it's like finding a new barrel aged stout circa 2011 and... It's pretty good! IT'S CLEAR.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Apache posted:

I had a good time in Richmond last weekend, and I'd say Ardent was my favorite spot in Scott's Addition, though Sleeping Forever from Veil may have been my favorite pour of the trip. I also liked Triple Crossing quite a bit, their pizza was really good and the beer as well. In retrospect I'd probably have skipped Stone, though they had a couple unique of beers there, it wasn't anything all that special. Thanks for the tour and recommendations funkybottoms.

thanks! it was great to hang, and i'm looking forward to cracking those Florida pastry stouts you gifted me. and we all know the Veil gets kinda ridiculous with the adjuncts, but straight SF is fantastic and i'd drink a lot of it if they produced it year-round.

(think a 502 ate my original response)

Scarf posted:

Beer Thread 3: Miller High Life poured into a box of Whoppers

i think that's a blond pastry stout

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

graybook posted:

Oh dear.

Oh, so I'm gonna be in Anaheim next month; if I only had time to drop by one or two breweries thereabouts, where should I go?

Green Cheek Beer Co.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

danbanana posted:

Hopewell Brewing packaged a West Coast IPA and I bought that poo poo immediately because it's like finding a new barrel aged stout circa 2011 and... It's pretty good! IT'S CLEAR.

Does it taste like fruit???

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

The brewery down the street from me did a west coast style IPA that’s filtered and bitter as hell and awesome. Like I could see through the glass of beer and it was strange because I couldn’t remember the last craft beer I could do that with.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hey is this thread doing the Christmas trade thing this year?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The brewery down the street from me did a west coast style IPA that’s filtered and bitter as hell and awesome. Like I could see through the glass of beer and it was strange because I couldn’t remember the last craft beer I could do that with.

It wasn't Ruination bitter. Definitely used some modern fruity hops. But it was clean and dry and didn't burn my esophagus like I just drank concentrated orange juice.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finally in a Rochefort 10 mood and I poured a glass then had to go do something and then came back and unthinkingly took a sip and my brain exploded from the goodness.

But now I want 1) duvel and 2) a West coast ipa

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
You probably also want Off Color's Scurry. If there was an award for "Beer No One Appreciated When Released, Including Me" it would win.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

:shrug:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Send 12 beers to a random goon like last year? Sure I'm down :yeah:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I don’t want to organize the Christmas beer exchange because I feel bad about making Shorty MR. cat spend a million dollars to ship his beer.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'll step up to it, holiday exchange signup form is here:
https://forms.gle/6tUK3rhbK38MFhoJA

Pick out 12 beers to send out to your assigned goon, wrap em (not required but it makes it fun!), send the box and spread the joy!

Deadline is November 16

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

air- posted:

Pick out 12 beers to send out to your assigned goon, wrap em (not required but it makes it fun!), send the box and spread the joy!

Deadline is November 16

In! I look forward to this exchange every year!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Toebone posted:

Still seems gross though

The worst thing about it is they're suggesting you keep it cold. Presumably then they also mean to serve it cold, as it contains actual milk.

Everyone knows stout should be served at cellar temperature. I actually prefer to drink mine almost warm, as it really brings out all the flavours.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can I sign up to only send and not receive

air-
Sep 24, 2007

That's cool with me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

air- posted:

Deadline is November 16

I’m in! Super excited to join in on this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I had that Otter Creek Sundae stout and it was amber colored and not a stout at all! :mad:

That is not a beer that should have been put in 16 oz cans. It's like drinking melted ice cream. There's a local brewery with a similar (Crooked Current's Neapolitan brown) gimmick beer that hits the flavors right but isn't so sweet. I'm wondering if a lower ABV might've helped the OCB one. At 8% it's pretty syrupy.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Quiet Feet posted:

I had that Otter Creek Sundae stout and it was amber colored and not a stout at all! :mad:

That is not a beer that should have been put in 16 oz cans. It's like drinking melted ice cream. There's a local brewery with a similar (Crooked Current's Neapolitan brown) gimmick beer that hits the flavors right but isn't so sweet. I'm wondering if a lower ABV might've helped the OCB one. At 8% it's pretty syrupy.

Beer Thread 3: That is not a beer that should have been put in 16 oz cans. It's like drinking melted ice cream.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I don’t want to organize the Christmas beer exchange because I feel bad about making Shorty MR. cat spend a million dollars to ship his beer.

Lol that was 100% my fault. No worries.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

air- posted:

Deadline is November 16

Nov 16 to sign up or ship?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
they should sell those crazy beers in 8oz red bull size cans

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Well made NE IPAs from cask are just incredible.

Absolutely pillowy fruity smashable stuff without being oversweet.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

shovelbum posted:

they should sell those crazy beers in 8oz red bull size cans

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-off-color-8-ounce-bottles-20181025-story.html

air-
Sep 24, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Nov 16 to sign up or ship?

November 16 is deadline to sign up, it works like last year where ideally boxes arrive by December 12-14ish

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Signed up- haven’t been able to do it previous years but always seemed fun!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Why not, I have a shipper sitting around anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I talked to the head brewer of Weldworks today and gave him poo poo about the 300 gallons of whole milk beer. They have a pasteurizer that they had from their overfruited sours and just decided to do the Starbucks thing with beer. He said you should drink it within 4 weeks, so...yeah