Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod that replicates the altar wireless system for TC4 other stuff.

I dunno, the fact that nobody did it could be because nobody thought to, but Thaumic Energistics handles essentia better than TC5/6 does anyway.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I know this is probably common knowledge but man TAN heat system sucks. I guess my base is in a Savannah but it might as well be the surface of the sun since I can't even get out of the water for five seconds to do anything at all.

I turned the biome temp modifier from 10 to 5 and that seems to have fixed it. It seems pretty ludicrous that every heat mitigation tech requires an ice biome.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know this is probably common knowledge but man TAN heat system sucks. I guess my base is in a Savannah but it might as well be the surface of the sun since I can't even get out of the water for five seconds to do anything at all.

I turned the biome temp modifier from 10 to 5 and that seems to have fixed it. It seems pretty ludicrous that every heat mitigation tech requires an ice biome.

Does the TAN heat system not permit the player to utilize evaporative cooling? Since that's generally how people stayed alive in hot climates before the advent of A/C.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ambaire posted:

Does the TAN heat system not permit the player to utilize evaporative cooling? Since that's generally how people stayed alive in hot climates before the advent of A/C.

I mean that's exactly what it should be. You can basically only go into the water to cool down (there's an AC thing and slime armor that cools you but both require ice cubes which can't be gathered from anywhere but cold biomes)

There should be like a bandana or something you can wear to cool down.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is the heat lower underground? Or does it just take the biome into account? I mean surely you can build some kind of machine or magic to make ice blocks, this is the modded minecraft thread.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Is the heat lower underground? Or does it just take the biome into account? I mean surely you can build some kind of machine or magic to make ice blocks, this is the modded minecraft thread.

Should have mentioned, playing RLCraft. I mean I enjoy hardness, I enjoy survival. It's cool to have to do some little things instead of just building big techno-magical wizard towers every time. It just seems like the mod itself should have some kind of way to mitigate heat so that any hot biome isn't the surface of the sun for 100% of the daylight hours.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Spanish Matlock posted:

Should have mentioned, playing RLCraft. I mean I enjoy hardness, I enjoy survival. It's cool to have to do some little things instead of just building big techno-magical wizard towers every time. It just seems like the mod itself should have some kind of way to mitigate heat so that any hot biome isn't the surface of the sun for 100% of the daylight hours.

TAN's default configuration is ridiculously, insanely punishing. There's a very narrow range of comfortable temperature values - something like -10 to +18 - but the temperature changes from other items skew towards warming you up over keeping you cool. It's really poorly balanced by default and needs some very careful tweaking to be at all reasonable.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Do I need to install the pack with the previously posted file then update with this one? This appears to just be an update

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
TAN has always reminded me of that mod where you had to grab as many resources above ground as fast as you could. Then you had to get underground because the surface became a scorched wasteland.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Depends posted:

Do I need to install the pack with the previously posted file then update with this one? This appears to just be an update

I got rid of the map file and replaced it with a custom world gen setting. When making a new world you have to select "lost cities" then select Trantor under the custom options. I thought this was a better way to do it since it allows for infinite different worlds with different seeds. You can still get the free starting nuclear generator by using the quest book.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Rutibex posted:

I got rid of the map file and replaced it with a custom world gen setting. When making a new world you have to select "lost cities" then select Trantor under the custom options. I thought this was a better way to do it since it allows for infinite different worlds with different seeds. You can still get the free starting nuclear generator by using the quest book.

I mean that I can't install the pack from the curseforge page alone because the 1.0 version linked there isn't the entire pack, just an update to a previous version. I think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Depends posted:

I mean that I can't install the pack from the curseforge page alone because the 1.0 version linked there isn't the entire pack, just an update to a previous version. I think.

No its the whole pack. Curseforge has something wrong with it, I have no idea what it is maybe they need to update their internal database or something. This link will give you a .zip file you can import into Twitch with the "create custom profile" option. Just select "import" and choose the zip file. This will force Curse to work properly:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor/download/2820877?client=y

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Rutibex posted:

No its the whole pack. Curseforge has something wrong with it, I have no idea what it is maybe they need to update their internal database or something. This link will give you a .zip file you can import into Twitch with the "create custom profile" option. Just select "import" and choose the zip file. This will force Curse to work properly:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor/download/2820877?client=y

Importing the zip file worked, although that client=y doesn't because the Twitch app can't seem to find your pack.
The reason I thought it wasn't the whole thing was because I just tried to unzip it intending to drop the files in manually.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
if you need ice just nerdpole up until it is freezing and place water. it will freeze.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
There are loving EVOKER spawners in some of the underwater dungeons in Rustic Waters, what the gently caress

Also dying damages EVERY ITEM YOU'RE CARRYING, not just your equipment. Looks like 40% of max durability.
Plus you lose all your exp, it's not like keepinventory.

...well, I finally progressed far enough to find a merchant village. There are some interesting trades but everything is quite expensive, ranging from 100-1000 for most things, but WAY more for some of the hardest to get items.
This should be fine except I can't see any way to sell items to them? There are no repeatable quests in the questbook to make money so I don't know how this is supposed to work.

I guess I'll have to make 64 "assorted farm goods" so that I can see the other quests in the economy questline. Hopefully there's a block that I can shove items into and get money out of.

BIG PROTIP: don't try to make an infuser first, the power cells craft fully charged. The energetic infuser requires a blaze rod, which you can either get by finding a nether fort and killing blazes (good luck finding a fort without any easy way of traversing the nether) or by turning sulfur into blaze powder and compressing the powder into a rod... or you can just buy some from a merchant.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 10, 2019

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

There are loving EVOKER spawners in some of the underwater dungeons in Rustic Waters, what the gently caress

Also dying damages EVERY ITEM YOU'RE CARRYING, not just your equipment. Looks like 40% of max durability.
Plus you lose all your exp, it's not like keepinventory.

...well, I finally progressed far enough to find a merchant village. There are some interesting trades but everything is quite expensive, ranging from 100-1000 for most things, but WAY more for some of the hardest to get items.
This should be fine except I can't see any way to sell items to them? There are no repeatable quests in the questbook to make money so I don't know how this is supposed to work.

I guess I'll have to make 64 "assorted farm goods" so that I can see the other quests in the economy questline. Hopefully there's a block that I can shove items into and get money out of.

BIG PROTIP: don't try to make an infuser first, the power cells craft fully charged. The energetic infuser requires a blaze rod, which you can either get by finding a nether fort and killing blazes (good luck finding a fort without any easy way of traversing the nether) or by turning sulfur into blaze powder and compressing the powder into a rod... or you can just buy some from a merchant.

For particularly packed rooms in the dungeons sometimes I ended up just using a drill to open up the ceiling of the rooms and letting everything inside drown. Don't forget the rats though, you can make pretty beefy warrior rats to bring with you.

There's a little 4 block modular machine you make to sell your farm goods.
I have 12 farms of 10/10/10 seeds with 8 sprinklers each, harvested with autousers and picked up by pearled hoppers into an ender chest. That ender chest dumps into autocrafters to make the farm goods then into set of compacters then into the selling machine.
Previous to getting the farm set up I grabbed 9 golem spawners from dungeons and made a mob farm from them. You can turn the bricks they drop into farm goods.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Depends posted:

For particularly packed rooms in the dungeons sometimes I ended up just using a drill to open up the ceiling of the rooms and letting everything inside drown. Don't forget the rats though, you can make pretty beefy warrior rats to bring with you.

Did they fix the thing where rats just drown?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Did they fix the thing where rats just drown?

Not sure, I only used them at the beginning but didn't have any problems with them. Once I could open up entire dungeons with a drill like a can opener I just did that to get the loot and get out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Depends posted:

There's a little 4 block modular machine you make to sell your farm goods.
I have 12 farms of 10/10/10 seeds with 8 sprinklers each, harvested with autousers and picked up by pearled hoppers into an ender chest. That ender chest dumps into autocrafters to make the farm goods then into set of compacters then into the selling machine.
Previous to getting the farm set up I grabbed 9 golem spawners from dungeons and made a mob farm from them. You can turn the bricks they drop into farm goods.
Oh boy. 96 sprinklers in parallel, huh? I was really hoping this wasn't one of those modpacks where you need dozens and dozens of the same things going on side by side to meet production quotas.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh boy. 96 sprinklers in parallel, huh? I was really hoping this wasn't one of those modpacks where you need dozens and dozens of the same things going on side by side to meet production quotas.

I didn't NEED it but I wanted to see how far I could push the setup before it started getting backed up. I had to have 2 fully speed upgraded compactors to keep up with the first step of compacting.
I don't think I spent much until way later and my golem farm was enough to buy upgrades here and there when I needed them. The drawer void upgrades were the only things that really hurt not having easy access to.

One guy in the Discord went the other way and did heavy farming early and spent his way through the pack instead of crafting when the option was available.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, apparently the Rustic Waters modpack update problems are caused by a file somewhere in there that's set to read-only. So locate the folder(rightclick the modpack and click Open Folder), rightclick it, click Properties, and uncheck the read-only box. Click OK or Apply and tell it to apply that to all subfolders and files.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
It was some of the EnderIO files I believe. At least those are the ones I had to edit to delete from my server.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What other options are out there for custom tools mods besides Tinkers'? I know there's Silent's Gems but I want to see what else people have done and I'm getting tired of building smelters.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

What other options are out there for custom tools mods besides Tinkers'? I know there's Silent's Gems but I want to see what else people have done and I'm getting tired of building smelters.

There was one in a recent modpack I played (Volcanoblock maybe?) that was pretty neat, based on modifying your tools with an anvil and hammer. Don't remember the name though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Modular Powersuits has a 1.12 version, and is much cooler than Tinkers Construct.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

There was one in a recent modpack I played (Volcanoblock maybe?) that was pretty neat, based on modifying your tools with an anvil and hammer. Don't remember the name though.

Tetra. It wasn't an anvil(it was called a crafting bench) but it may as well have been.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, belatedly re TAN, if you fully enclose your living space and use cooling/heating coils placed around, you can easily manage temperature while at home, but you really gotta prepare for going outside. The mod utterly baffled and frustrated me the first time I played Forever Stranded but when I made an enclosed base in my second playthrough it didn't really give me any trouble at all. And then by the time I really needed to venture out much I had the powered temperature regulator thing which essentially just turns the mod off while it's powered.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
It's one again time for me to poke at Minecraft modpacks! I'm looking for something that has a quest system that leads to some ultimate goal, so I always know what I should be trying to accomplish. (Not just a bunch of 'do this to get a prize' quests.) It should have a minimum of tedium; I don't want to spend ten minutes holding down the mouse button, hammering on the mouse button, or waiting impatiently for a reason to touch the mouse button. I'm not looking for 'realism' or 'hardcore' or other buzzwords that generally mean a million steps to accomplish anything. I like making devices that I can feed raw materials into and get cool things out of, and I don't want to have to wait long to do so. While I'm not averse to combat, I don't want to have to kill a million billion mobs or defeat the giant invisible teleporting laser-eyed creeper. Last, but not least, my machine's an older one, with only 8 GB RAM, so the pack shouldn't be too crammed full of mods. Any suggestions?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

It's one again time for me to poke at Minecraft modpacks! I'm looking for something that has a quest system that leads to some ultimate goal, so I always know what I should be trying to accomplish. (Not just a bunch of 'do this to get a prize' quests.) It should have a minimum of tedium; I don't want to spend ten minutes holding down the mouse button, hammering on the mouse button, or waiting impatiently for a reason to touch the mouse button. I'm not looking for 'realism' or 'hardcore' or other buzzwords that generally mean a million steps to accomplish anything. I like making devices that I can feed raw materials into and get cool things out of, and I don't want to have to wait long to do so. While I'm not averse to combat, I don't want to have to kill a million billion mobs or defeat the giant invisible teleporting laser-eyed creeper. Last, but not least, my machine's an older one, with only 8 GB RAM, so the pack shouldn't be too crammed full of mods. Any suggestions?

There are not very many modpacks that lead to some neat end goal. If you haven't played Blightfall, I suggest that. If you want something newer, check out Enigmatica 2. I've only ever played the expert version, but I'm pretty sure the standard pack includes a ton of quests and leads to creating a few creative blocks.

Depending on how grindy you want to get, you may also want to check out Skyfactory 3 or 4, Project Ozone 2 reloaded, or Stoneblock.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

I think Ultimate Alchemy would fit your request.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FredMSloniker posted:

You could check out my challenge mod pack. It has all the stuff you describe, and I specifically made it not to be a performance hog (I also only have 8 GB of RAM and struggle with the bigger packs):
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

There are not very many modpacks that lead to some neat end goal. If you haven't played Blightfall, I suggest that. If you want something newer, check out Enigmatica 2. I've only ever played the expert version, but I'm pretty sure the standard pack includes a ton of quests and leads to creating a few creative blocks.

Depending on how grindy you want to get, you may also want to check out Skyfactory 3 or 4, Project Ozone 2 reloaded, or Stoneblock.

I've tried Blightfall, but it was a bit intimidating; I may give it another go. I gave Enigmatica 2 Lite a try, but while it has a lot of quests, there doesn't seem to be much direction to them, just 'this is how to use these mods'. As for skyblock mods, I have a fear of falling that sometimes translates into video games - the key factors are 'first-person game' and 'can be killed by falls' - so of those, the only one I particularly liked was Stoneblock 2.

McFrugal posted:

I think Ultimate Alchemy would fit your request.

I'll look into it.

Rutibex posted:

You could check out my challenge mod pack. It has all the stuff you describe, and I specifically made it not to be a performance hog (I also only have 8 GB of RAM and struggle with the bigger packs):
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/escape-from-trantor

And this as well. Thank you!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I modified FTB Ultimate Reloaded in Twitch by adding a few additional mods and changing out the map mod and have it just the way me and a few friends want it. I’ve exported my Twitch profile for it and it works for everyone, but the default export didn’t include whatever was necessary for the custom main menu to render properly (it’s all just pink and purple placeholders). Does anyone know what else I need to export to fix this?

E: I figured this out. Needed to include the Resources folder with the profile.

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 12, 2019

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I discovered that I may be illiterate. In my current play through of Enigmatica 2 Expert I was looking at my Mekanism Induction Matrix and noticed that I was gaining way less power than I should be. I look in the next room over of my base where my four IC2 "no heat" reactors are sitting. Except there are now only 3 reactors and the back wall has been blown out.

The difference between a meltdown and everything being fine was me forgetting to craft my "Heat Exchanger" into "Component Heat Exchanger". Having that single part being wrong turned my reactor from being fine to melting down in a couple minutes. It is a good thing I still built my reactors inside reinforced stone and glass even though there was supposed to be no chance of them melting down. Note, "no chance" only applies if you build them correctly.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
My only experience with reactors has been with Baby’s First Space Race where they can’t meltdown. I remember reading something in the quest book that the mod doesn’t support it. Of course that pack is 1.7 and now that I hear about meltdowns I just stopped myself from building one in Enigmatica 2.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dremcon posted:

My only experience with reactors has been with Baby’s First Space Race where they can’t meltdown. I remember reading something in the quest book that the mod doesn’t support it. Of course that pack is 1.7 and now that I hear about meltdowns I just stopped myself from building one in Enigmatica 2.

Well, reactors are fine as long as you copy exactly what the design is. IIRC IC2 reactors have different categories (i.e. Mark) that their setups fall under. A properly setup Mark I reactor can be setup to run indefinitely and that is the design I'm using. It is when you start using Mark II or higher designs that you need to deal with timing that turns the reactor off for a cooldown period.

Depending on the pack you're playing, in this case Enigmatica 2, there are usually safer options for power that have no risk of anything being broken. Mekanism's Gas-Burning Generators are not that hard to setup. My setup was a Compact Storage Drawer (Melons via Garden Cloche) that pipes into the Crusher. The Crusher, PRC, and Separator are all placed next to each other since they can output the necessary item/gasses required. I then use pipes to pump Ethylene to three generators.

To be honest, in a pack like Enigmatica 2, IC2 reactors aren't something you even need for power. Mekanism allows you to use its cables for EU instead of dealing with IC2s EU requirements, and an extreme reactor is going to safely output more power than an IC2 one.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dremcon posted:

Extreme reactors/big reactors can't blow up or meltdown.

Enigmatica2 also has nuclearcraft which can meltdown. But you need to do 3 credit hours worth of research to even use that mod, so it shouldn't be an issue by the time you even try.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As far as big reactors go, I'm partial to the Rainbow Generator! from EU2. It's kind of a pain to set up, but once you do you can generate 25 million RF a tick.

Also! I'm trying to remember the name of a modpack I played once that I might want to pick back up again. It involved progressing through a bunch of different mods' tech trees, often with interlinking bits. You were given some useful tools fairly early on, like an ore scanner, and the quest tree was big and interlinked. I know it wasn't SevTech Ages - it didn't start you at caveman era, and nothing was actually hidden from you at the start - but it definitely had some modified recipes to make you use all your tech options. It also pretty much made you start with Immersive Engineering, though it also had the usual tech mod suspects. Any ideas which one I'm thinking of?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FredMSloniker posted:

As far as big reactors go, I'm partial to the Rainbow Generator! from EU2. It's kind of a pain to set up, but once you do you can generate 25 million RF a tick.

Also! I'm trying to remember the name of a modpack I played once that I might want to pick back up again. It involved progressing through a bunch of different mods' tech trees, often with interlinking bits. You were given some useful tools fairly early on, like an ore scanner, and the quest tree was big and interlinked. I know it wasn't SevTech Ages - it didn't start you at caveman era, and nothing was actually hidden from you at the start - but it definitely had some modified recipes to make you use all your tech options. It also pretty much made you start with Immersive Engineering, though it also had the usual tech mod suspects. Any ideas which one I'm thinking of?

Based on the different mods, gonna guess Enigmatica 2 / Expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ambaire posted:

Based on the different mods, gonna guess Enigmatica 2 / Expert.

No, it's not that one. A bit of Google groveling led me to FTB Continuum, but that wasn't it either. Neither basically forces you to start with Immersive Engineering, which is one of the things I remember clearly.