Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Dunno but I think Appletun is the funniest form and I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I really do think something like Dexit was going to happen eventually due to the sheer amount of Pokemon that keeps getting bigger, but I think the outrage wouldn't be nearly as bad if Gamefreak hadn't completely and totally hosed up the PR about it. They seriously messed up on at least that front, and in a world where they'd actually put some thought into delivering the news, I'd like to believe there'd be grumbling but not outrage like we're seeing now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*nodding understandingly*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I really do think something like Dexit was going to happen eventually due to the sheer amount of Pokemon that keeps getting bigger, but I think the outrage wouldn't be nearly as bad if Gamefreak hadn't completely and totally hosed up the PR about it. They seriously messed up on at least that front, and in a world where they'd actually put some thought into delivering the news, I'd like to believe there'd be grumbling but not outrage like we're seeing now.

I dunno, I can't imagine a version where it goes over better. To be fair I understand the annoyance, the game is literally 'all pokemon are good, find your favorites and be friends with them' and there's tons of quotes as the gens came of the devs all 'oh no we would never prune the dex' so I just can't imagine any version of the rollout that's handled well enough to avoid the "I AM LITERALLY BEING ATTACKED BECAUSE SMEARGLE ISN'T IN THE GAME" crowd.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Dexit was probably inevitable but putting it in the game with bad performance, a draw distance of a meter, and broken geometry at the same time doesn’t make it look good.

Let alone including less than half of the previous games’ roster, while launching a subscription service with its own universal Pokédex at the same time, how convenient.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'd like to believe there'd be grumbling but not outrage like we're seeing now.

It must be nice not knowing what reddit is like, I envy you

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think a more worthy base game and a proper explanation of what Home is would've gone a lkng way, as well as not needing to wait until the drat release to see who did and didn't make the cut.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Bee posted:

I think a more worthy base game and a proper explanation of what Home is would've gone a lkng way, as well as not needing to wait until the drat release to see who did and didn't make the cut.

Yeah like they've said next to nothing about home since its announcement which makes me worry that it's just gonna be bank + gts which means you just gotta pray minior and yanmega make the cut next year or you're hosed.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
An acquaintance of mine hasn't dipped down to Reddit-level outrage, but still vents on every platform she can that she thinks Masuda should be fired and he has singlehandedly, irreparably ruined Pokemon these past few generations.

She's also said that she will, of course, be buying SwSh day one anyway

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah like they've said next to nothing about home since its announcement which makes me worry that it's just gonna be bank + gts which means you just gotta pray minior and yanmega make the cut next year or you're hosed.

This is exactly where they're loving up. You don't drop a bomb like Dexit and then get coy about how that problem is going to be handled in the future.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea this would help for sure (tbh I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out the GTS was just in the 'link trade' option, though) but yea the fact that we still don't know what Home is isn't helping

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Remember we're all

:)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Pentaro posted:

Remember we're all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:downs:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

This is exactly where they're loving up. You don't drop a bomb like Dexit and then get coy about how that problem is going to be handled in the future.
This is true. It's a lot to drop on people and expecting anyone to wait patiently for more information rather than freaking the gently caress out and using whatever kernals of information exist to condemn everyone involved is too much to ask of any community. Asking it of gamers was folly beyond comprehension.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's going to be hilarious when the games still sell fine and the youtube outrage factory is going to switch their narrative to whatever the video game equivalent of "Disney bought out theaters for Captain Marvel to artificially inflates the sales" is.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee managed to sell well despite having like 153 Pokemon programmed in total and having like maybe a third of the features that Sword and Shield and Sun and Moon had.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zuzie posted:

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee managed to sell well despite having like 153 Pokemon programmed in total and having like maybe a third of the features that Sword and Shield and Sun and Moon had.

Yeah but they're also a remake of gen 1 and people loving go bananas over anything Kanto so that's all it needed to have.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd say the dexit issue was inevitable if this were a more complicated game. As it stands, every pokemon already had a model that would looking perfect in SwSh. There is something to be said for the animations you usually are encouraged to turn off completely, but seems like they were pretty fine doing it pokemon stadium style, have the model do a generic move, half-rear end attack the air, and then display relevant particle effects.

I just checked and first thing that pops up is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQpYecnsQk

Looks like the battle animations have been even more simplified.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

MiracleFlare posted:

An acquaintance of mine hasn't dipped down to Reddit-level outrage, but still vents on every platform she can that she thinks Masuda should be fired and he has singlehandedly, irreparably ruined Pokemon these past few generations.

She's also said that she will, of course, be buying SwSh day one anyway

This is why the refunding of pre-orders is dumb, cause Dexit is not actually Nintendo's decision, and all the people who are cancelling to send a message are just gonna grab a cart (or both) regardless.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Catalina posted:

"Man, the discussions about Pokemon Sword and Shield have been a total shitshow, I don't mind if people are unhappy, but I just wanna sit back and chill with people and talk about the new starters and stuff, people who can be disappointed without being overemotional about it and writing 10 paragraph essays that boil down to 'please market your game to me, and not to 5-10 year olds'"
Oh yeah, Something Awful! That always had a pretty good community, I should check what's going on - "

:yikes:

Those overemotional people y’all keep poking fun at and making post after post after post about how glad you are that you’re so much more mature, so much smarter and less goony than are probably teenagers FYI, I hope this helps

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant max Gengar

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dehry posted:

Giant max Gengar

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is true. It's a lot to drop on people and expecting anyone to wait patiently for more information rather than freaking the gently caress out and using whatever kernals of information exist to condemn everyone involved is too much to ask of any community. Asking it of gamers was folly beyond comprehension.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this generally how they handle controversial poo poo in Japan? Drop the bomb then ask for patience while the problem is being worked on "we're doing our best UwU". I'm not going to say I didn't see something like this coming (inevitably pokedex bloat was going to occur) they're just handling the situation dreadfully. You'd think somebody in marketing would step to the plate to do some damage control at some point.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

Giant max Gengar

That is just Final Fantasy 5's Atomos, you can't fool me. :colbert:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nephrite posted:

That is just Final Fantasy 5's Atomos, you can't fool me. :colbert:

I want to throw donuts into their giant gaping void mouth.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I just checked and first thing that pops up is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQpYecnsQk

Looks like the battle animations have been even more simplified.
Jesus, this crowd really takes every opportunity to be disingenuous. I'm not saying the Sword/Shield animations are amazing or anything but let's at least be fair.

1) Battle Revolution was just a battle sim. There was nothing else to the game but battle animations. So they could obviously focus a lot more on those. It'd be nice if every move in SW/SH looked like that but after Let's Go that expectation should've been way tempered.

2) The majority of this video is showing examples of A) different moves and B) normal Pokemon using moves against Dynamax'd Pokemon. Now I could be wrong but I feel like there's going to be alternate animations used there rather than having a tiny Arcanine charge up and bonk into Steelix' shin. Even if not, Flare Blitz looking different than Flame Charge is still not worth making a video over.

EDIT:

Flopsy posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this generally how they handle controversial poo poo in Japan? Drop the bomb then ask for patience while the problem is being worked on "we're doing our best UwU". I'm not going to say I didn't see something like this coming (inevitably pokedex bloat was going to occur) they're just handling the situation dreadfully. You'd think somebody in marketing would step to the plate to do some damage control at some point.
Yeah, this is not out of the ordinary. And the crowd that is up in arms over it is a loud minority so it's not like they need to do that much damage control to begin with. The decisions were made and the game has been done for a long time. The people who are angry have rejected every possible reason for it so there would be no appeasing them anyway. May as well just stay the course and let the normies enjoy business as usual rather than trying to correct and apologize or make excuses to a crowd they couldn't please under any circumstances.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 9, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

This is why the refunding of pre-orders is dumb, cause Dexit is not actually Nintendo's decision, and all the people who are cancelling to send a message are just gonna grab a cart (or both) regardless.

Refunding of preorders is a good, consumer friendly practice that Nintendo could stand to do more of.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah trade evolutions just don't make sense conceptually. You trade something as an exchange, doing a trade just to trade back just for evolution kind of flies in the face of it. You're also putting a lot of faith in the other person actually sending it back, which I remember was the cause of a lot of playground fights and ultimately why the game got banned at my school.

That said, I wouldn't mind it so much if you could just flag a pokemon as a 'trade back' so you could put up something like a Kadabra and have it automatically trade back to you after the initial trade evolution is complete.

That could actually work. Only issue being searching for anyone willing to do the other half of a tradeback because if there is no incentive to do tradebacks for your usual random player on the GTS, they will not bother.

With possibly a subscription service. If it does have, then the 'outrage' right now has not even remotely peaked.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zuzie posted:

They sold as well as the other remakes despite the crazy backlash over being a "casual" Pokemon game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They sold as well as the other remakes despite the crazy backlash over being a "casual" Pokemon game.

The thing that people who post on forums, even here, consistently fail to realize is that there's like 15 casual players for a mainstream game for every one of us nerds, and they usually don't rush to the forums to discuss game news.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

qnqnx posted:

That could actually work. Only issue being searching for anyone willing to do the other half of a tradeback because if there is no incentive to do tradebacks for your usual random player on the GTS, they will not bother.

Easy. Put it all on a Pokéblockchain and give out transaction fees.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Children don’t loving care the entire dex isn’t the game and neither should you

There are like 400 fantasy creatures to catch Jesus Christ

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Calico Heart posted:

I want 900 tho. They had 400 two games ago at 40 bux and the other 400 were compatible.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The games are better when they don't have to carry previous region's baggage. Like, I'm actually looking forward to dexit because it means I don't have to build certain assumptions (ex. Garchomp) into a pvp team. Certainly, new and powerful things will become common in the meta, but at least they're new things not yet-another entry hazard Skarmory or whatever. Having to work within the limitations of the region adds challenge.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

I never liked the "it is a children's game!" argument. It ignores the entirety of players that grew up with the games, and implies children don't deserve better things.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
While the butchering is a net suck overall and my top faves were saved, I'm honestly looking more forward to getting the cotton candy hat Pokemon and fairy unicorn Rapidash than getting Clefable and Gardevoir for the xth time.

Though I still will.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

It'd help if the pokemon they chose to leave out made loving sense by their own reasoning (the pokemon didn't want to go). There's no swans in England? No bulldogs? What?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The games are better when they don't have to carry previous region's baggage. Like, I'm actually looking forward to dexit because it means I don't have to build certain assumptions (ex. Garchomp) into a pvp team. Certainly, new and powerful things will become common in the meta, but at least they're new things not yet-another entry hazard Skarmory or whatever. Having to work within the limitations of the region adds challenge.

But they kept some like Tyranitar if the leak is accurate which is a must plan against mon some like everything else its half baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
My favorite friend Bulbasaur didn't make the cut, and although sometimes I worry that in my personal life I don't handle depression in the healthiest way possible, I'm at least reacting to this news like a gd adult