Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've tried to read Kingdom a few times, but I always lose interest when it gets into those gigantic battles that go on for dozens and dozens of chapters. It has great art, but really needs better pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of Kingdom is that rank usually correlates directly with size.

Very disappointed Shin and Kyoukai aren't 8 feet tall by now though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 9, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I admit, I mainly know Kingdom from the episode of Hisone and Masotan where the government bribes Jimmy to report on her teammates and their love lives with the latest chapter.

It was a good gag.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I still keep up with kingdom occasionally, and the latest chapter set up a showdown I didn't even know I wanted. It makes perfect sense though, and I'm hyped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Vinland updated

https://readms.net/r/vinland_saga/166/6311/1

Whoever expected Halfdan to end up being as cool a dude as he is being.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 10, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This is cute and all but I cannot believe we're just skipping the whole trip to Miklagard. I've been looking forward to it throughout that whole long War in the Baltic arc! Gah!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Begemot posted:

This is cute and all but I cannot believe we're just skipping the whole trip to Miklagard. I've been looking forward to it throughout that whole long War in the Baltic arc! Gah!

It has been decided it will appear in a brand new anime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I was really disappointed with the quality on the most recent Otoyomegatari, but another version was posted!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/makotoyukimura/status/1193353804881645568?s=20

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

big dyke energy posted:

I was really disappointed with the quality on the most recent Otoyomegatari, but another version was posted!

Seems both groups are going to collaborate in the future which is good. Because these guys not stitching together that 2 page spread with the stained glass was a crime to Kaoru Mori.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Begemot posted:

on one hand i respect that the crux of the emotional journey was over when they finished up with the journey and that actually seeing the trip to miklagard would just be padding. but on the other hand i'm now imagining the wacky hijinks that led to other thorfinn chilling with a bedouin tribe and i want to see it

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

huh. So I'm guessing he was forced to speed things up due to either personal or professional circumstances? You usually don't apologize when you announce that your manga is going into it's final arc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

huh. So I'm guessing he was forced to speed things up due to either personal or professional circumstances? You usually don't apologize when you announce that your manga is going into it's final arc.

Doesn't seem it's rushed

https://twitter.com/Sakineko_cat/status/1193435202699137025?s=20

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Huh, and the current arc is actually the longest. Well then.

Still, calling it "east expedition arc", while skipping over the whole "east expedition" bit is kinda hilarious. :v:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I suppose there's still time to insert pivotal flashbacks to the east expedition when necessary during the final arc. It was a little surprising to see the time skip just... like that. But I suppose the author just didn't think that following that part of the story closely was important to the narrative.

I don't remember if the anime plans to cover the full story eventually, but that would be the perfect spot for filler episodes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, and the current arc is actually the longest. Well then.

Still, calling it "east expedition arc", while skipping over the whole "east expedition" bit is kinda hilarious. :v:
The Baltic is very much to the east of everything else that's happened.

I'm very interested to see things finally head for Vinland, and I don't think there would have been much thematically to add to Thorfinn's story in Miklagard. The stuff we did see was all very relevant- tying up old plot threads, showing new ideals interacting with old and all that. Nothing like that was going to happen in Miklagard.

But god drat did I want to see Thorfinn and friends bumbling around Constantinople. I dearly hope there will be small fun flashbacks at some point, even if I understand why it wasn't really part of the proper story.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everything here is east of vinland.

Angry Lobster posted:

It has been decided it will appear in a brand new anime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

wtf :laffo:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Houken hulkin' out on the last Kingdom

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
And now a third group enters the frey for Translating Otoyomegatari this time with a new chapter :nws: because we're back in the bathhouse and there's not a shirt in sight but we get more sisterly bonding.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
one thing i really appreciate about mori is her deep thirst. i'm kind of sad, it feels like with mr. smith and talis journey back this is probably going to be our last time seeing all the characters that appeared on the journey out. it feels as though the series is gradually winding down

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place as it's not really historical I think.

But anyway, apparently the manga about the girl who works at a pseudo-Chinese(?) emperor's harem and really, really likes poisoning herself is getting an official translation sometime next year.

https://squareenixmangaandbooks.square-enix-games.com/en-us/product/9781646090709

This was one of the series which I'd planned on picking up if it ever got an official translation as I really like the art and the setting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That series owns and I will buy it religiously. Maomao is my favorite goblin.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm Team Houken now partially cuz of how much the reveal of his "ideology" pissed off basic rear end kingdom fans. it's not like that monologue about the pathseekers was any more silly or facile than literally every moment of philosophical waxing or ideological dump from other characters (like sei). it's never been particularly deep anyway.
it's just good fun

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I really hope Houken goes down here and now, this arc is dragging on too much, even for Kingdom standards.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Angry Lobster posted:

I really hope Houken goes down here and now, this arc is dragging on too much, even for Kingdom standards.

Yeah same. I love everything about Kingdom but the troops have been fighting while starving to death for like 8 months now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello friends here is a new Vinland Saga.

Round eyes just shot up my favourite characters list

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm Team Houken now partially cuz of how much the reveal of his "ideology" pissed off basic rear end kingdom fans. it's not like that monologue about the pathseekers was any more silly or facile than literally every moment of philosophical waxing or ideological dump from other characters (like sei). it's never been particularly deep anyway.
it's just good fun

I'm baffled that the Zhao generals gobbled that insane philosophy though;

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just

Wanted Constantinople

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rody One Half posted:

I just

Wanted Constantinople

Whatever Mu'awiya

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Rody One Half posted:

I just

Wanted Constantinople

I wanted Vikings graffittiing thousand year old sculptures...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The sometimes-janky art in Kingdom is acceptable for the most part, but whenever Hara draws a foot it looks like a goddamned toilet plunger.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It looks like a wooden puppet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't tell people apart in Kingdom sometimes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Racist

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It looks like a wooden puppet.
weird for nintendo to confirm Geno in Smash through a chapter of Kingdom, but there you have it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Bihei is the soldier with buck teeth.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new chapter of otoyomegatari

this one feels a little shorter than usual, but very cute

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Whaaaaaat are you doing, Vinland saga

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I hope Garm arrives soon.