Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1192890783512158208?s=20

As interesting as Kanye's continual public mental breakdown is it's getting to be a bit outside the scope of this thread, unless he says he's going to run in 2024 or as trumps vp in 2020

"Joe Biden did quid pro quo times infinity!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"Joe Biden did quid pro quo times infinity!"

Look, there's rules to the kaio ken quid pro quo technique. You can't just spam it endlessly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Man, those Do Nothing Democrats are doing a whole lot

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

OAquinas posted:

Look, there's rules to the kaio ken quid pro quo technique. You can't just spam it endlessly.

This is the only way that politicians will ever truly address zoning.

Haduken tax:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i know its because they are opertunistic/true believer nuts, but why are they going down with the ship for this rear end in a top hat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CaPensiPraxis posted:

E: also medicare can't negotiate all prices for ... reasons, see pharma. And when it can it's fettered.

I said medications, I meant services, sorry.

VA and Medicaid can negotiate prices.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know its because they are opertunistic/true believer nuts, but why are they going down with the ship for this rear end in a top hat.

A lot of people are choosing not to go down with the ship. They're retiring, waiting out the Trump era and maybe they'll come back come 2022 or 2024 to restore "sanity" to the republican party.

The people who are sticking around now are true believers, don't have anywhere else to go or are gambling on higher payouts for staying in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

A lot of people are choosing not to go down with the ship. They're retiring, waiting out the Trump era and maybe they'll come back come 2022 or 2024 to restore "sanity" to the republican party.

The people who are sticking around now are true believers, don't have anywhere else to go or are gambling on higher payouts for staying in.

i mean i doubt graham is a true believer or mulvaney.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Some are True Believers but I do think the majority just realize they are beholden to their base which loves Trump.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

waiting out the Trump era and maybe they'll come back come 2022 or 2024 to restore "sanity" to the republican party.

this infuriates me. We really do need to get better as a society at ending the careers of ghouls who make evil/bad decisions.

Literally the only job available to Iraq war proponents should be gravedigger in Baghdad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Graham is absolutely doing this for his primary.

Mulvaney is a loving idiot who at the last knows he's in way to deep to do anything.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
They're doing it because Trump is more popular in their districts/states than they are.

Mulvaney is just an arrogant prick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Graham is absolutely doing this for his primary.

Mulvaney is a loving idiot who at the last knows he's in way to deep to do anything.

yeah. id love if graham got destroyed in the election but such are dreams.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

https://youtu.be/52a7QbLr4ys

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Graham is a craven political survivor who correctly saw that Trump would be the end of the republican party, or at least the party as it was understood. However, he knuckled under. Specifically why I couldn't tell you, but in general, Graham is a bootlicker and will go along with the party because that's what keeps him in power and flush with donations.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Some are True Believers but I do think the majority just realize they are beholden to their base which loves Trump.

What's sad is that the moment Trump loses power, they'll abandon everything about Trump. In terms of what the republican party claimed to stand for, almost all of is has been badmouthed or betrayed by Trump. The republicans don't really stand for anything except for white supremacy. The base will move on fast from Trump because he's not providing them with the acceleration of internal purges that fascists want.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 9, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1192936777633468418

:hmmyes:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

But what does Schiff's maneuver actually do? Will anything happen to Mulvaney?

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

Graham is a craven political survivor who correctly saw that Trump would be the end of the republican party, or at least the party as it was understood. However, he knuckled under. Specifically why I couldn't tell you, but in general, Graham is a bootlicker and will go along with the party because that's what keeps him in power and flush with donations.

At the end of the day Graham's truest character is being a huge warhawk and he will absolutely tongue the butthole of anyone that could possibly be convinced that an invasion and occupation of Iran is the necessary policy of our times, nothing else matters to him as much as that one issue.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sweetgrass posted:

At the end of the day Graham's truest character is being a huge warhawk and he will absolutely tongue the butthole of anyone that could possibly be convinced that an invasion and occupation of Iran is the necessary policy of our times, nothing else matters to him as much as that one issue.

Then he should be mad as hell at Trump for forcing Bolton out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ither posted:

But what does Schiff's maneuver actually do? Will anything happen to Mulvaney?

It seems to me that this helps the Dems control the narrative around witnesses refusing to testify. The WH is refusing to let them testify on the (made up) grounds that the inquiry isn't valid. But when Schiff releases a transcript implicating the witness who won't testify, its pretty easy for anyone but the most brain-addled Trump supporter to put two and two together that they are doing this to obstruct the investigation.

Edit: Obviously I want to see something actually happen to witnesses who are refusing the subpoenas.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Glenn Greenwald learns this the hard way that backing right wing homophobic nationalists doesn't turn out well in the long run:

quote:

Yesterday, I was physically attacked by a right-wing journalist during a live broadcast in São Paulo, Brazil. The incident has made headlines all over the world, but it wasn’t an isolated one.

Our whole team here in Brazil is under constant threat from a fascist political movement backing far-right President Jair Bolsonaro that wants to intimidate us into silence.

That threat is escalating severely as a result of events today in Brazil, where a Supreme Court judge has just ordered former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Bolsonaro’s chief political rival, to be released from prison.

So I want to explain what happened, what’s at stake, and why we need Intercept readers’ help in this critical moment.

The journalist who attacked me is the former editor-in-chief of Brazil’s largest newsweekly who has become a pro-Bolsonaro activist.

He has publicly called for a judge to investigate my family, suggesting that my children should be removed from my home and returned to the shelter from which my husband and I adopted them.

His homophobic rhetoric obviously exceeds the bounds of propriety, but I agreed to appear alongside him on a right-wing radio show because I believe that it’s crucial in any democracy, especially one as polarized as Brazil, to have political dialogue with your adversaries.

I wanted the opportunity to discuss with him why he would say something so inappropriate. Instead, he physically assaulted me — and Bolsonaro supporters, including the president’s own son, reacted with applause.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VideoGameVet posted:

Glenn Greenwald learns this the hard way that backing right wing homophobic nationalists doesn't turn out well in the long run:

holy poo poo you're literally saying he deserved to get hit by a dude he was interviewing

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Just smoking a cigar with the biggest balls in the world. What did I do? I did an interview on the day time talk show The View.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

i mean while i get what you mean and i think he is a NIMBY dickhead when it comes to facists but i still dont want to see him hurt. what id love is him have a Road to Damascus about chuds but i guess the only chuds he hates are the ones that affect him and his own. I will say he has done great work against bolsonaro, so thats good thing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

sexpig by night posted:

holy poo poo you're literally saying he deserved to get hit by a dude he was interviewing

No, doesn't seem like he said that. Seemed to me he was saying that Glenn Greenwald had to learn through personal experience that which many many other people could deduce from a distance about the willingness of the far right to use violence in lieu of rhetoric or argument.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1192951815089934336

apparently after most of the ballots are in, amazon's attempt to take over the Seattle city council failed, which is very cool.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pander posted:

No, doesn't seem like he said that. Seemed to me he was saying that Glenn Greenwald had to learn through personal experience that which many many other people could deduce from a distance about the willingness of the far right to use violence in lieu of rhetoric or argument.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? His life and his families life have been repeatedly threatened by actual fascists because of the political stances he has taken. Somebody writing from behind the comfort of their keyboard or phone about how he "had to learn through personal experience", as though this was the first time he has ever faced consequences for his beliefs, is genuinely revolting.

If you want to criticize his choice of media appearances or disagree with his opinion about the role of debate in a democracy / who you should debate with, go ahead, but at least acknowledge his genuine bravery in the stands he has taken.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Pander posted:

That'd be pretty off and kinda gross still. Greenwald's been pretty up front about him and his family getting all kinds of horrible threats of violence for a while now, iirc.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pander posted:

He didn't 'have to learn' it you loving ghoul his husband has literally been threatened by the government multiple times

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I heard Greg Greenwald's husband is gay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'heh I bet this guy who's had these people threaten him and his husband since long before the election really learned what a fascist enabler he is when he got hit'.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-a8259516.html

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1192951815089934336

apparently after most of the ballots are in, amazon's attempt to take over the Seattle city council failed, which is very cool.

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1192949748795232256?s=19

Really good news from Seattle. Eat a dick, Bezos!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Down goes Orange Ion.

Sawant really needs to up her district engagement game though.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1192949748795232256?s=19

Really good news from Seattle. Eat a dick, Bezos!
yeah came here to post about this

owns

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shbobdb posted:

Kanye is an amazing musician, the best in the last 20 if not 30 years.

Oh come the gently caress on.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in a thread full of incredibly dumb posts. The gently caress out of here with this.

Strange Poon posted:

Trump's approval among poc and especially African Americans is loving abysmal so it's hilarious that these rallies are by and large just optics so crackers have enough cover to keep barking "I'm not racist but..." at their white grand children and black coworkers.

But I have it on good authority that there's never been a better president for the black community. DJT doesn't make things up on Twitter.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Can't wait for the Horsey comic whining about it all.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Down goes Orange Ion.

Sawant really needs to up her district engagement game though.

They wouldn't be trotskyists if they weren't elitist dickheads who ignore their constituents.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

theflyingorc posted:

Also a bunch of his music is extremely self-aware and introspective, which is weird because his public persona is not that at all

In conclusion, Kanye is a land of contrasts

Nah, he’s just bipolar and honestly in a really untreated and arguably dangerous place. If he weren’t super rich and an established artist and surrounded by professional staffers and Charles Foster Offdensen-tier personal assistants he’d probably be drifting down hard and having a really lovely time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh come the gently caress on.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in a thread full of incredibly dumb posts. The gently caress out of here with this.

Ok, I gotta know what music you listen to that would lead you to such a terribly wrong conclusion.