Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Schneider Inside Her posted:

OK Computer is straight up the best Radiohead album it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Clearly I'm asking the wrong questions when I interview someone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Seriously. People who say Kid A are wrong and not smart.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Clearly I'm asking the wrong questions when I interview someone.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wait, you people like Radiohead? I thought everyone was being ironic.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's like Linkin Park: a surprisingly common goon guilty pleasure.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I listen to noise mostly. But I get that it's mostly unlistenable bullshit. I just refuse to quit.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Mithross posted:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

ok computer is the godfather II to the bends’s godfather I

it’s better but without the groundwork of the former it doesn’t exist

pls note that i am not disagreeing with ok computer being the best radiohead album i just stan the bends as being at least as important and maybe more influential overall

e: also “just” is the single best radiohead song and one of the best music videos of all time

e2: i have the next 4+ days off and i didn’t ask for the time off :-/ hopefully after we start brunch i can be full time again

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
but the Godfather 1 is better! OK Computer is Godfather 1, Kid A is Godfather 2. Former is fun to listen to and everyone loves it, the latter is "important" but also a little unpleasant and cold.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this on the KitchenConfidential subreddit. And, christ it's a masterpiece. To lazy to rehost picture to imgur so you get to click. https://www.reddit.com/r/KitchenConfidential/comments/ds113a/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Restaurant Owner, after 3 failed downtown restaurants, blames downtown http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/owner-blames-downtown-minneapolis-for-third-straight-failed-restaurant/564556761

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Manuel Calavera posted:

I saw this on the KitchenConfidential subreddit. And, christ it's a masterpiece. To lazy to rehost picture to imgur so you get to click. https://www.reddit.com/r/KitchenConfidential/comments/ds113a/

I know I'm reposting this, but for a while in an old kitchen I worked, I had most of the line cooks saying "inside you" instead. It's not sexual harassment if we're all on the same page, right?

Right?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

At my old workplace when a ticket would ask for eggs over hard, whatever cook was stationed on eggs would confirm that the eggs were cooking by announcing loudly "hard on". Kitchens are such an interesting work environment because you can pull poo poo like that with most other seasoned kitchen staff and it's the norm. Then some fucko who has never worked in the industry will start taking poo poo too far and think it's actually okay to sexually harass coworkers and talk about how horny they are, or force you to blow them outside the restaurant while they are on the clock.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm really irritated that my staff call charcuterie boards "shark boards" rather the proper "cooter"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How do you even have enough money to open 3 failed restaurants?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Who knows all the details in this case but a lot of cities heavily subsidize 'small business' owners to operate downtown because abandoned buildings are a bad look.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well you inherit the first one from your rich dad who decided to retire, and then you decide to be 'out of town' whenever an invoice comes in and then have a 'business meeting' in Vegas and then when for some reason paychecks start bouncing, well, it's definitely because your store is failing and not because you just bought fancy Italian shoes. And while you string along your gullible employees you open another place on a different street. And then do this like again I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

SHVPS4DETH posted:

e: also “just” is the single best radiohead song and one of the best music videos of all time

I’m not going to say you are wrong, but I would posit that Street Spirit is a better song and I love Gagging Order for some reason. But you could also convince me you are correct in Just.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
A Moon Shaped Pool is loving awful. Way to lead with your best song, and follow it up with an hour of the worst warbly soft poo poo you've ever made.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Basically OKNOTOK is a perfect album and nothing will top it

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

How do you even have enough money to open 3 failed restaurants?

From the way the article reads, it was three different concepts in the same location which probably means they just redecorated and changed the menu while retaining most of the kitchen/infrastructure.

So really, they just found 3 different ways to make the same restaurant fail.

Tsathoggua
Apr 6, 2005
I am not eat breakfast food.
Both cheques cleared properly!

Haven't set foot in the old place since, should at some point because I should probably return their master key..

Took the two week's vacation, applied to a small handful of carefully-chosen places, and picked up a job immediately that'll start me at what I was getting paid, plus has medical benefits.

I don't have to wake up at 430am to cook eggs for screaming children anymore.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
People still listen to Radiohead?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Tsathoggua posted:

Both cheques cleared properly!

Haven't set foot in the old place since, should at some point because I should probably return their master key..

Couldn't you just put it up on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or something anonymously, auction it off to the highest bidder, and just tag the old place in the description? I mean, if they were really that bad, might as well make them pay for it both figuratively and literally.

Also, who the gently caress is Radiohead?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aniodia posted:

Couldn't you just put it up on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or something anonymously, auction it off to the highest bidder, and just tag the old place in the description? I mean, if they were really that bad, might as well make them pay for it both figuratively and literally.

Also, who the gently caress is Radiohead?

Given that they probably know who has the master key, that seems like a really good way to never work in the industry again, at best

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh no, blacklisted from the eternal hell-grind that is working at restaurants. Whatever will they do?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've gotten hired on the spot when I admitted to the guy interviewing me that I had quit without notice. Apparently the owner of that restaurant was rivals with my previous place and really hated him, and he wanted to reward me for screwing him over in even a small way.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sextro posted:

I've gotten hired on the spot when I admitted to the guy interviewing me that I had quit without notice. Apparently the owner of that restaurant was rivals with my previous place and really hated him, and he wanted to reward me for screwing him over in even a small way.

I'm not sure I'd want to work for someone that petty.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

captkirk posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to work for someone that petty.

I mean, you're going to work for someone that petty no matter what. At least if they're open about it you can direct it away from you.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
One of my most favourite jobs (hired as sous chef, was head chef shortly after and stayed there for 2+ years), during the interview the owner was looking at my resume and said, very neutrally, "Oh, I see you worked for Company X (one of the bigger local companies, most cooks in the area have worked at one of their properties at some point) for a while. What was that like?" and when I replied "It was a good place to learn how not to run a kitchen" he basically hired me on the spot.

Basically, sometimes knowing how a place is viewed can make it worth cutting ties and/or poo poo talking it in following interviews.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, don't know the situation around OP leaving without notice, but usually it's because of something hosed about how the business was run. Wouldn't surprise me if that would rub people the wrong way who were trying to run their own business correct.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am ready to loving yeet our ticket printer down the back service road behind the hospital. Three loving times in this past month it's poo poo itself and slocked up/stopped printing sometime near the start of dinner and I am loving done with it. There's no loving discernible reason it keeps crapping out. Unless, like, the call center is trying to send to many tickets through at once. Yet I've had it print out 8 tickets in a minute in the past without any problem so. :shrug:

loving garbage printer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Our POS system is a repurposed retail system, entirely cloud based, not designed to handle a 15mil per year restaurant. Our entire expo and service station system goes down roughly 3 times a week.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Our POS system is a repurposed retail system, entirely cloud based, not designed to handle a 15mil per year restaurant. Our entire expo and service station system goes down roughly 3 times a week.

gently caress. that.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I've never understood poo poo like this. Even in a 3-4mil/year restaurant, we had the budget for a decent POS system. How do you not shell out for one of the few things that directly impacts your revenue on a daily basis?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We have CBORD, and I have no clue what our sales are like other than they've gone up since last year. And the Press-Ganey scores are...idk but improving. It's just something fucky with the one printer. Why we don't have touch screens or something more modern I'll never know. Nope, just two ticket printers. One for the cook side of the line, and one for the Expo side (which also gets all the condiments, drinks, fruit, etc.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First POS I ever used was Aloha, and I loving hated until I had to start using other POS system.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, can anyone honestly say that the POS system they use is good across the board and they'd recommend it?

Our system is TouchBistro, an iPad app. It's mostly fine, but there's some real weird flaws in the UI that tell me the programming aspect was outsourced to the lowest bidder. I've been halfheartedly exploring learning app development as a way out of the service industry, and I feel like an actually-good POS system designed by someone with restaurant experience just straight up does not exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prayer group posted:

Okay, can anyone honestly say that the POS system they use is good across the board and they'd recommend it?

Our system is TouchBistro, an iPad app. It's mostly fine, but there's some real weird flaws in the UI that tell me the programming aspect was outsourced to the lowest bidder. I've been halfheartedly exploring learning app development as a way out of the service industry, and I feel like an actually-good POS system designed by someone with restaurant experience just straight up does not exist yet.

It's been a long time, but honestly, Aloha, if who ever sets it up knows what they're doing. I was complaining about it once to a friend at a bar and someone who worked for them was sitting next to us and every major problem I had was because of lovely button layouts that are completely in control of the customer.

Oh and the one time it broke completely, but that was because it was being run through an ancient computer in an unventilated room and it overheated.