Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
HONK!? I Am Very Angry Because I Was Reincarnated Into This Small Village As A Lowly Goose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Sentouin, Hakenshimasu! is pretty ""good"" and I think people who did the Kono Suba manga are doing this.
Live Dungeon! Also isn't terrible? No slavery yet

Also link me VRMMOs. I love me some manga authors trying to codify game mechanics

Only Sense Online
A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Log

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I will second TKA though it's just a MMO and there's no VR.

tl;dr: People play these games and are being paid to play it, these are the stories of the top player's journey back to the peak.

TKA's wacky-rear end game design is because it's trying to be a dramatic PVP game with a very large and active esports scene. It's trying to adapt the feeling of watching a fighting game round that usually won't last more than a minute into multi-page scenes and does it by stretching the amount of time it takes to do poo poo, leading to people fighting for ten minutes straight and poo poo.

But more than game design, there's a lot of silly and serious ingame PVE/PVP drama due to camping, killstealing, etc. It also delves into the esports scene and the commercialization of a hobby, though it doesn't really care about the consequences. It reminds me of the xianxia "I Shall Seal the Heavens" and "A Will Eternal" in that there's tons of shenanigans and underhanded stuff pulled by the protagonist, though not being a xianxia TKA doesn't really go down to the same lows of rear end in a top hat/trash behavior. It's still just a MMO at the end of the day.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Ressentiment is a very good manga about a VRMMO that I would maybe describe as anti-isekai.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Argue posted:

HONK!? I Am Very Angry Because I Was Reincarnated Into This Small Village As A Lowly Goose!

yes please

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goosekai?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

This should be the sequel to The Saga of Tanya the Evil.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

titled goose book

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Argue posted:

HONK!? I Am Very Angry Because I Was Reincarnated Into This Small Village As A Lowly Terrible Goose!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Horrible goose, get it right!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

untitled goose book

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

but everyone's giving it a title

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Horrible goose, get it right!

Aw, gently caress.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Argue posted:

A good trendpost. You've influenced me. Do you have an instagram account?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nathilus posted:

A good trendpost. You've influenced me. Do you have an instagram account?
you are so old

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’ve been reading some trash on LHT’s website and was thinking about summarizing here, but wanted a rubric. I thought of making a bingo board, this was the best one I found online. Any substitiutions? I think free space should be “no plot tension whatsoever” instead of truck-kun

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fellis posted:

I’ve been reading some trash on LHT’s website and was thinking about summarizing here, but wanted a rubric. I thought of making a bingo board, this was the best one I found online. Any substitiutions? I think free space should be “no plot tension whatsoever” instead of truck-kun

I think "Access to the New World's Wikipedia" should be replaced with "I'll live how I want". It should probably be moved away from "Slavery" though as those two usually go together.

It's also missing a "slow life" space.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's a 5-story anthology being put out on a daily basis this week about would-be villainesses. Kinda predictable, but the stories thus far have managed to put smiles on my face.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

There's a 5-story anthology being put out on a daily basis this week about would-be villainesses. Kinda predictable, but the stories thus far have managed to put smiles on my face.

Not sure how this is Isekai, but hey. This has convinced me that one day I should play an Otome game just to see why subverting this idea villainess being a bad person has gotten so popular.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My understanding is that Villainess stories are about as far removed from actual otome games as other Isekai stories are from actual fantasy settings. They're all making fun of some weird tropes that were never actually popular until everyone started copying them in isekai parodies.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

Not sure how this is Isekai, but hey. This has convinced me that one day I should play an Otome game just to see why subverting this idea villainess being a bad person has gotten so popular.

Most villainess stories have a protagonist who reincarnated into the world, usually with "awakening to memories of the past life" that includes the plot of the game, or at least genre knowledge.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that Villainess stories are about as far removed from actual otome games as other Isekai stories are from actual fantasy settings. They're all making fun of some weird tropes that were never actually popular until everyone started copying them in isekai parodies.

I could guess as much, I'd imagine more of what the 2nd story in that anthology shows which is the heroine having been courted by 4 or 5 suitors (including her math teacher because why not) and there being a minor or major antagonist character providing drama hooks which is what this villainess archetype is being drawn from. Really I'm just curious because I don't really play dating sims but I could see myself digging a victorian era one if I ever find the time. Were these stories about some side character in a Higurashi-style horror VN I'd be right back to try and polish off that back catalog of reading.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I spent too long doing this (mostly because I am not creative enough to think of funny spaces), summaries later

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There should be a square specifically for 'The 2nd addition to the party is a beast girl'.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fellis posted:

This one is bad because KonoSuba scores a bingo if you squint, maybe two.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

KonoSuba is funny so that can pretty much excuse anything.

Fellis posted:

I spent too long doing this (mostly because I am not creative enough to think of funny spaces), summaries later

You've never actually played bingo, have you?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guyver posted:

KonoSuba is funny so that can pretty much excuse anything.

That's why it's not a garbage isekai, is my point.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

All isekai are bad hth. Also konosuba wouldn’t be a good example of the genre if it didnt include tropes

Guyver posted:

You've never actually played bingo, have you?

6x6 bingo boards with 4 free spaces are what’s cool now, sorry dad you’re just not with it anymore

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Argas posted:

I will second TKA though it's just a MMO and there's no VR.

tl;dr: People play these games and are being paid to play it, these are the stories of the top player's journey back to the peak.

TKA's wacky-rear end game design is because it's trying to be a dramatic PVP game with a very large and active esports scene. It's trying to adapt the feeling of watching a fighting game round that usually won't last more than a minute into multi-page scenes and does it by stretching the amount of time it takes to do poo poo, leading to people fighting for ten minutes straight and poo poo.

But more than game design, there's a lot of silly and serious ingame PVE/PVP drama due to camping, killstealing, etc. It also delves into the esports scene and the commercialization of a hobby, though it doesn't really care about the consequences. It reminds me of the xianxia "I Shall Seal the Heavens" and "A Will Eternal" in that there's tons of shenanigans and underhanded stuff pulled by the protagonist, though not being a xianxia TKA doesn't really go down to the same lows of rear end in a top hat/trash behavior. It's still just a MMO at the end of the day.

Since I actively do PVP in a MMO... sometimes I do have fights that go on for 10 or more minutes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AtomikKrab posted:

Since I actively do PVP in a MMO... sometimes I do have fights that go on for 10 or more minutes.

Yeah but the gameplay of TKA is more along the lines of a fighting game's, so the esports in this game are basically 10-minute long fighting game matches, multiple matches in a round.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This one is bad because KonoSuba scores a bingo if you squint, maybe two.
Konosuba is about garbage people, so it fits.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Isn't the King's Avatar just about a gamer starting a new character on a new server?

I had no idea it was popular enough for an anime and a tv series.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I didn't realize that Japan has much of a MGTOW culture until I found The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs which is basically 'MGTOW Isekai'.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kegslayer posted:

Isn't the King's Avatar just about a gamer starting a new character on a new server?

Yeah, it got pretty big. It's got some juicy setup for drama, what with there being bad blood between members of the MC's old team and him, as well as his ultimate desire to win one last time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Kegslayer posted:

I've been reading this since it was mentioned and I'm wondering if the chapters are normally pretty short or if that's just a lovely scanlation group that's splitting up chapters as they go?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure a lot of online publishers put up the micro chapters as artists finish the pages. Mangadex should really have an option for condensing them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Moon-Led Journey chapter

they're finally, finally heading off to Rotsgard, but at the current WN-into-manga pacing since it's staying really faithful to the webnovel, the manga version will take literally about 20 years to get to the current arc(which is on hiatus, natch). And that's if they don't do any of the side stories, which I hope they don't, because I've heard they're awful.

edit: also, (spoilers for later WN stuff) the author hasn't forgotten about rembrant and moris's atrocities as they were brought up in the second to last arc in the WN before the hiatus iirc in regards to "would Makoto flip his poo poo if he saw these memory visuals of what rembrant and moris actually did" so I do actually hope there's a reckoning or an accounting for and not simply forgiveness, because they did some hosed UP poo poo in the name of "business", I immediately recall that stuff whenever I see them casually smiling and chatting peacefully

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

World Strongest Rearguard: Labyrinth Country and Dungeon Seekers is an interesting isekai where the MC himself is OK but not amazing but becomes OP as hell when combined with his party members. It's entertaining so far but only has ten chapters out.

There is a thing going on where people who get killed turn into demi-humans who just do what they're told, but instead of being slaves or anything like that they're treated like mercenaries or hirelings. Dunno if that would rub people the wrong way.

So I just finished reading first volume of the LN version of this, and on the whole I enjoyed it. The MC is fairly likeable, and though they do lean pretty hard on the whole "he doesn't know how to handle romantic situations" gimmick he doesn't fall into the stereotype of being unable to function like a normal person. I also enjoy that his OPness comes from boosting allies, directing them in combat, and (presumably) putting together parties with strong synergies. You do have to wait until the end of the novel for them to start learning anything about what's actually going in the world (such as what they're originally meant to be seeking).

Some caveats though:

1) It's a harem story (of course), which isn't helped by the fact that the MC's passive buff abilities increase his party member's affection towards him and don't seem to turn off outside of the dungeons.
2) Three of the party members (so far) are "not old enough to drink" which would charitably put them in their late teens. They're still part of the harem because why wouldn't they be.
3) The author really has a thing for breasts. The MC getting prodded for lingering too long on someone's chest becomes a running gag.
4) The aforementioned treatment of demi-humans.

Also I found the "exclusive bonus content" mini story at the end of the novel to be extremely uncomfortable and offputting. During the second night when all the women are staying in his apartment for the first time, there's a scene where they come to look at him while he's sleeping. They're all overcome with infatuation caused by his constantly on buffs, and since none of them have ever so much as stayed in a man's house before they're not sure what to do about their need to be close to him. So one of them undoes his shirt so they can look at his chest, then they all take turns touching him (mostly holding his hand) and trying to egg each other on about maybe doing a bit more than just touching his hand. Finally they all go back to bed because they're worried he's going to wake up and catch them touching him.

I'm not sure what the author was going for with that, but it came off as super weird to me. If it had been part of the main narrative I'd have probably put the book down.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Also I found the "exclusive bonus content" mini story at the end of the novel to be extremely uncomfortable and offputting. During the second night when all the women are staying in his apartment for the first time, there's a scene where they come to look at him while he's sleeping. They're all overcome with infatuation caused by his constantly on buffs, and since none of them have ever so much as stayed in a man's house before they're not sure what to do about their need to be close to him. So one of them undoes his shirt so they can look at his chest, then they all take turns touching him (mostly holding his hand) and trying to egg each other on about maybe doing a bit more than just touching his hand. Finally they all go back to bed because they're worried he's going to wake up and catch them touching him.

I'm not sure what the author was going for with that, but it came off as super weird to me. If it had been part of the main narrative I'd have probably put the book down.

This happens in the manga in chapter 11 (the one from two months ago) except they don't show nothing happening in the end but leave it up to your imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Behold the greatest Isekai

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062823813338091520
https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062829566882910208
https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062826472019243008
https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062826793307127808
https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062829209062649856
https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1062839825018077184