Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I’ll echo the general sentiment that the food isn’t worth it but the experience is by far the best character dining, even if you don’t care about the princesses. Eating in the castle just has that bit of magic that made it special, even if it’s not a meal we plan on repeating.

It's this. It was our last meal of mine and my husband's trip after ages of trying to get there together. We left to a completely deserted Magic Kingdom because our dinner was so late. It was really neat. I don't think I'd do it again because of cost more than anything else, but I still have my little wand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CRT is a one and done thing. It was awesome going into the Castle and the photos with the princesses are great, but the food isn’t that good and it’s really expensive

I’m glad I did it once, but won’t ever go back

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

CRT is a one and done thing. It was awesome going into the Castle and the photos with the princesses are great, but the food isn’t that good and it’s really expensive

I’m glad I did it once, but won’t ever go back

I will further echo this sentiment to give it more validity. The difficulty of getting a reservation paired with the price and food really puts it towards the bottom of any sort of dining priority list after first go

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is this a good time to post that my family is so excited for our first CRT visit during our next trip?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You'll have a great time and they'll love it! The food isn't bad, as the posts might give the impression, it's just pretty standard and non-exciting compared to signature dining options on property. The cheese plate was good, definitely get that.

Speaking of, we have a double birthday celebration coming in December with another couple and are trying to decide where to go. We always do a signature dining at Disney together but we're having a hard time deciding. We've done Jiko, Tiffins, Cali Grill, Artist Point (before the revamp), and Morimoto. We might just repeat something I guess, or try a non-signature table service we haven't been to. Any suggestions?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dren posted:

Is this a good time to post that my family is so excited for our first CRT visit during our next trip?

Absolutely. It is definitely a cool and unique experience at WDW, which is what the parks are all about.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dren posted:

Sure and you should be. It is a great experience.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

You'll have a great time and they'll love it! The food isn't bad, as the posts might give the impression, it's just pretty standard and non-exciting compared to signature dining options on property. The cheese plate was good, definitely get that.

Speaking of, we have a double birthday celebration coming in December with another couple and are trying to decide where to go. We always do a signature dining at Disney together but we're having a hard time deciding. We've done Jiko, Tiffins, Cali Grill, Artist Point (before the revamp), and Morimoto. We might just repeat something I guess, or try a non-signature table service we haven't been to. Any suggestions?

Narcoosee's? Or maybe that new Japan restaurant that I can't remember the name of?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Toledo at the new Coronado Springs tower.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

Coral Reef. Seriously how much more unique can you get than an underwater restaurant where you get fish identification guides with your menu?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

Coral Reef. Seriously how much more unique can you get than an underwater restaurant where you get fish identification guides with your menu?

Yeah we really like it but have done it 10+ times thanks to showing visiting friends/family that place so much. I really miss the menu from 2014 era though, it was some of the best food I've had at Disney, specifically the pork belly and carrots dish.

Braksgirl posted:

Narcoosee's? Or maybe that new Japan restaurant that I can't remember the name of?

Narcoosee's was from others a no based on the menu, though I still want to try it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m kinda excited for the space restaurant

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Hoop dee doooooo (because they great with birthdays)

Also Flying Fish

Sanaa isn't technically signature but lunch is really neat.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m kinda excited for the space restaurant

It seems really neat but I have no idea how it's within fire code with no windows

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Takumi-Tei definitely got high marks from Members. If you are up to the water room (and have the six person minimum) I’ve heard nothing but great things.

Hoop is always a good time though. My team went for my going away party and I’ve reached the point where I recognize at least half the cast.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Just did my first day ever at DCA. It’s pretty good. I was expecting to be let down based on what I’ve read online and from the history of the park. It definitely needs more rides, which they’re working on, but each section was great. They were all themed well and distinct. Our schedule didn’t let us get into Cars Land at night but I saw it from a distance and I need to see it tomorrow night. Radiator Springs Racers is really loving good. I can’t believe they aren’t cloning it for WDW (I guess Test Track is close enough?)

Pixar Pier looks awesome. I dig the old school amusement park / boardwalk feel. I need to check it out at night more.

We did the World Of Color dining package so we had front row seats. It’s a cool show. I thought it was a neat touch to integrate the roller coaster into it. Carthay Circle was really good too.

I wanted to post more of my trip but I’ve been busy riding rides and building lightsabers. Oh yeah, that whole Savi’s thing is totally loving worth it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m debating...myself and my girlfriend probably only have money to visit two parks this December on our little week long timeshare visit in Orlando and I can’t decide which two. The last time we were there was when I worked for Disney when Avatar JUST opened up. I would like to go to Epcot no matter what to say goodbye to spaceship earth. But what should the second park be? Hollywood Stufios?

What would you choose?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I finished the galaxy’s edge novel. I didn’t think the book was that good and I didn’t like the main character, Vi Moradi, very much. The book does this thing all the time where she’s in some terrible situation she could have easily avoided and to get her out they remind you she’s got spy training so she knows how to do exactly the perfect thing. It’s like hey if she actually had extreme competency because of her spy training she wouldn’t have been in these situations in the first place. But I guess the book needed to end with a reason for Kylo Ren to show up in Black Spire Outpost so she had to be a screw up. Oh and the book really loves to talk about torture and injuries which was weird? The book is backstory for the land so on the whole I think I like it since now I’m prepped for the park.

After reading the book it just seems all the weirder that they picked a non-movie place as the setting for the park. Like, there would be no need for a place-setting novel if the park were any place at all from the movies. And like, couldn’t they have gone to Batuu for 15 minutes in TLJ instead of going to Canto Bight? Just like show up and have to bargain with Oga to free the code breaker who is in debt to her or something.

I think Hondo may have only been mentioned in like one sentence of the book and the millenium falcon wasn’t there at all. Does the stuff in the park make it fit into the continuity? (it’s fine if it doesn’t). The park is set after TLJ and before Rise of Skywalker so the falcon should be in the possession of Rey and friends, not Hondo. Did they come to Batuu to help the resistance fight Kylo Ren and just like, let Hondo borrow it?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m debating...myself and my girlfriend probably only have money to visit two parks this December on our little week long timeshare visit in Orlando and I can’t decide which two. The last time we were there was when I worked for Disney when Avatar JUST opened up. I would like to go to Epcot no matter what to say goodbye to spaceship earth. But what should the second park be? Hollywood Stufios?

What would you choose?

Epcot and Studios, yeah.

Unless you're going December 1-4, Rise of the Resistance will be open in Studios. From all accounts, it's gonna blow even Flight of Passage away, so...

Plus, I hear Studios has really nice winter holiday decorations.

We're going December 12-14 and gonna do all four parks, Springs, and maybe try to see the gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Plus, I hear Studios has really nice winter holiday decorations.

The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights

:(

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The recent history of the lights on the Disney Dish was pretty cool.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My girlfriend has epilepsy so the lights can be a problem lol. We’ll be there December 15 - 22. I have a list of new stuff to check out which is nice. I know the urge to not do four days will be hard to fend off...need to check on discounts and such.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dren posted:

I finished the galaxy’s edge novel. I didn’t think the book was that good and I didn’t like the main character, Vi Moradi, very much. The book does this thing all the time where she’s in some terrible situation she could have easily avoided and to get her out they remind you she’s got spy training so she knows how to do exactly the perfect thing. It’s like hey if she actually had extreme competency because of her spy training she wouldn’t have been in these situations in the first place. But I guess the book needed to end with a reason for Kylo Ren to show up in Black Spire Outpost so she had to be a screw up. Oh and the book really loves to talk about torture and injuries which was weird? The book is backstory for the land so on the whole I think I like it since now I’m prepped for the park.

After reading the book it just seems all the weirder that they picked a non-movie place as the setting for the park. Like, there would be no need for a place-setting novel if the park were any place at all from the movies. And like, couldn’t they have gone to Batuu for 15 minutes in TLJ instead of going to Canto Bight? Just like show up and have to bargain with Oga to free the code breaker who is in debt to her or something.

I think Hondo may have only been mentioned in like one sentence of the book and the millenium falcon wasn’t there at all. Does the stuff in the park make it fit into the continuity? (it’s fine if it doesn’t). The park is set after TLJ and before Rise of Skywalker so the falcon should be in the possession of Rey and friends, not Hondo. Did they come to Batuu to help the resistance fight Kylo Ren and just like, let Hondo borrow it?

I think the park was in development long before TLJ and the best guess is that no one with enough power to make the change in the movie wanted to do it.

Batuu vs an established movie location makes sense because most of the popular places just wouldn't work. Endor is too primitive. Coruscant too modern. Hoth wouldn't work in Florida or California and Tatooine....

Well it would have been the logical choice. Except if you look into making it a real place it's just so problematic. All the same colors and building styles. Plus Imagineeers are limited in what things they can add and stories they can tell. Sure the cantina is obvious but how do you explain other restaurants or lightsaber stores? And what time period? If you make it around the OT how do you explain Vader and Han and Luke all hanging around? Practical considerations too: Florida can already get so hot but you can't add trees for shade!

With Batuu the Imagineeers had almost complete freedom to design and build a park that works practically, looks good, and has stories that make sense. Even if it isn't as immediately as popular as Tatooine.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don’t follow this sort of thing so I don’t know if there has been any information but I have to wonder if they’ll start Rise of Skywalker in Batuu. Rey and Kylo are both there and people would then be able to recognize the theme park land from a movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

I think I remember something about Batuu playing a part in the next movie.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Here for the MIcrosoft conference, it’s my birthday so I’m skipping their night time party and headed to Jiko with my wife for dinner. Love the food there, can’t wait for tonight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hondo borrows the Falcon from Chewie for the ride. It’s part of the preshow. Chewie also fusses at you if you bang it up too badly.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

Hondo borrows the Falcon from Chewie for the ride. It’s part of the preshow. Chewie also fusses at you if you bang it up too badly.

Yep. Chewie needs parts for the Falcon, so Hondo offers to provide them in exchange for borrowing the Falcon’s speed for a few Smuggling Runs (get it????). Chewie gets the parts and Hondo keeps the profit because Hondo doesn’t give a poo poo about wars.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Going to the VMCP tonight, what can we expect for ride lines? We did it around 4 or 5 years ago and I remember barely any waits for rides. Can we expect the same?

I anticipate some of the rare character appearances to have long lines.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Rope dropped DHS and headed straight for Smugglers Run, posted time was 60 minutes, was probably closer to 40, then 10 minute single rider. Was the gunner on one and engineer on the other. Loved the ride and the immersive theming. Going to go explore now.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Going to the VMCP tonight, what can we expect for ride lines? We did it around 4 or 5 years ago and I remember barely any waits for rides. Can we expect the same?

I anticipate some of the rare character appearances to have long lines.

I haven't been to VMCP yet, but if it's similar to the halloween party, ride lines aren't terrible. Maybe a 20-25 minute wait for the more popular rides (we waited about 25 min for mine train at every halloween party we went to) and even less of a wait for the majority of all rides. Never bothered with character meets, mostly because the lines are always super long for those.

We'll be going to VMCP probably sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. I'm really excited for it :)

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

stabbity posted:

I haven't been to VMCP yet, but if it's similar to the halloween party, ride lines aren't terrible. Maybe a 20-25 minute wait for the more popular rides (we waited about 25 min for mine train at every halloween party we went to) and even less of a wait for the majority of all rides. Never bothered with character meets, mostly because the lines are always super long for those.

We'll be going to VMCP probably sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. I'm really excited for it :)

My son wants Jack. That’s it. So we are gonna try and be there a little before 7 to get him. Anything else is a bonus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

apparently Disney is offering Disney Plus to cast members in exchange for their main gate passes :lol:

loving pointlessly greedy

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The one CM without friends: "FINALLY"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's especially dumb because I guarantee loses Disney more money than it saves (gate passes cost them nothing, food and merch sales add up a lot more than the cost of D+ over a year, etc etc etc. We spend more than the yearly cost of D+ at Food & Wine alone, not to mention all the friends we take on guest passes that happily spend since they didn't have to pay for a ticket.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

It's especially dumb because I guarantee loses Disney more money than it saves (gate passes cost them nothing, food and merch sales add up a lot more than the cost of D+ over a year, etc etc etc. We spend more than the yearly cost of D+ at Food & Wine alone, not to mention all the friends we take on guest passes that happily spend since they didn't have to pay for a ticket.

Wait, like, they're giving you the option or this is just a switch in benefits?

Also, it speaks volumes about how badly Disney wants Disney+ to do well. You're almost certainly right that this is a net loss in money for them, but it gives them another whatever number of subscribers who might watch The Mandalorian. If it pushes them to another 100k breakpoint ("the pilot for The Mandalorian has been watched 600,000 times in the first 48 hours of the service!"), they prefer that ability to advertise to the lost P&R revenue.

Also also I know we're sad about the cutbacks to live entertainment across the parks but it's not all bad because holy poo poo this is cute

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1192929702270394368

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

Wait, like, they're giving you the option or this is just a switch in benefits?

Option. There would be a straight up general strike if they removed main gate pass for everyone.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
My wife and I were talking about this tonight. I guess there’s some subset of employees who don’t live anywhere near a park and don’t care enough about going. There’s also been a ton of interest in the streaming service and employees asking if they were going to get free sub or some kind of discount.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does “cast members” refer to only people who work inside the park, or is it an umbrella term for all Disney employees?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone that works in the parks division of the Disney company, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think I've also heard something about Disney store employees getting similar gate privileges but never got a reliable confirmation on that.