Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of the first anime episodes is going to be about Ivysaur and people are out there acting like gamefreak killed them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

One of the first anime episodes is going to be about Ivysaur and people are out there acting like gamefreak killed them all.

The fourth episode to be exact. But yeah, Dexit doesn’t seem to matter that much as far as the new anime goes (which seems to be going for a more world tour style setup as opposed to just being stuck in Galar all season).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dehry posted:

OLM brought them back after GF killed them.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I get the being upset at the Dexit thing, but all the personal attacks on Masuda and James Turner are a little too far. Apparently even Toby Fox has been getting a little bit of it, and all he did was compose one song for it.

Like, for sure don't buy the game if you're upset, but JFC that's not how you react to being mad at video games

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
As far as "game controversies" go, this one is pretty tame.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Ka0 posted:

As far as "game controversies" go, this one is pretty tame.

Heck, its not even the biggest one in Pokemon... I was around when it was revealed that you couldn't transfer anything from Gen 2 to Gen 3. It was a real good time to drop the series entirely. We were mostly stuck with the 202 Pokémon in the Hoenn dex, 135 of them were brand new creatures and only a handful were from Gen 1 and 2. Granted it was revealed via hacking that the rest were programmed in anyway but there was no way to get them in Ruby and Sapphire. We would have to wait until Colosseum and then Fire Red and Leaf Green in order to get the remaining monsters.

Then there's the switch from the 4Kids dub to the in-house dub. People still pine for Veronica Taylor to voice Ash again. Or Misty to return as a main character.

Another one is that in China, they changed the names of 100 Pokémon, which would rub people the wrong way if it were to happen here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Flopsy posted:

It'd help if the pokemon they chose to leave out made loving sense by their own reasoning (the pokemon didn't want to go). There's no swans in England? No bulldogs? What?
It's not like GF has ever cared about Pokemon remotely matching what you can find in the area before. (Beyond one or two hyper-stereotypical mons for the non-Japan places, like Unova's :911:-rear end eagle and Kalos' poodle)

Unless New York got overrun by zebras and sarcophogi when I wasn't looking.

Zuzie posted:

Heck, its not even the biggest one in Pokemon... I was around when it was revealed that you couldn't transfer anything from Gen 2 to Gen 3. It was a real good time to drop the series entirely. We were mostly stuck with the 202 Pokémon in the Hoenn dex, 135 of them were brand new creatures and only a handful were from Gen 1 and 2. Granted it was revealed via hacking that the rest were programmed in anyway but there was no way to get them in Ruby and Sapphire. We would have to wait until Colosseum and then Fire Red and Leaf Green in order to get the remaining monsters.

Then there's the switch from the 4Kids dub to the in-house dub. People still pine for Veronica Taylor to voice Ash again. Or Misty to return as a main character.

Another one is that in China, they changed the names of 100 Pokémon, which would rub people the wrong way if it were to happen here.
I don't think there's ever been a gen where the fanbase wasn't freaking out over something Gamefreak did that's going to ruin pokemon forever. It makes it hard to take any of it seriously.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I understand that there's lots of emotion wrapped up in it, but I'm looking forward to when the game is out and people just get on with playing it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://greatstory.pokemon.co.jp/

Make your own Pokemon story.

https://greatstory.pokemon.co.jp/shares/UvCT2cQp5RXDVkDx19LwoWPP/index.html

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pentaro posted:

Remember we're all

:)

:3: I sincerely want that shirt.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Call me a sad broke brain but Primarina's cry made me happy.

I'm going to miss that little friend.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Haifisch posted:

I don't think there's ever been a gen where the fanbase wasn't freaking out over something Gamefreak did that's going to ruin pokemon forever. It makes it hard to take any of it seriously.

Gen IV, I don't think anyone complained. To this day gen IV fans still defend that awful pre-Platinum period.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I just need to know shinies now so I can start planning killing myself via breeding.

Hatterne especially. Wanna see that trans pride flag poke become lesbian pride flag.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iymarra posted:

Call me a sad broke brain but Primarina's cry made me happy.

I'm going to miss that little friend.

Same bro, but the Primarina star will shine forever in our hearts.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I get the being upset at the Dexit thing, but all the personal attacks on Masuda and James Turner are a little too far. Apparently even Toby Fox has been getting a little bit of it, and all he did was compose one song for it.

Like, for sure don't buy the game if you're upset, but JFC that's not how you react to being mad at video games

For those of us who don’t speak Japanese, is serebii threatening people?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just need to know shinies now so I can start planning killing myself via breeding.

Hatterne especially. Wanna see that trans pride flag poke become lesbian pride flag.

It's funny we've got the main leaks but the juicy tid-bits are still beyond our grasp.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Although I prefer regular Grimsnarl, shiny Morgrem is the drat tits

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Words of encouragement for the Pokemon crew.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Those overemotional people y’all keep poking fun at and making post after post after post about how glad you are that you’re so much more mature, so much smarter and less goony than are probably teenagers FYI, I hope this helps

poo poo, this made me remember that when I was 14, I angrily snapped all the discs for Chrono Cross in half and took a pair of scissors to the strategy guide. I think it was because they killed off Robo from Chrono Trigger. God knows what I would have been like had I access to a Twitter or Reddit echo chamber.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Catalina posted:

poo poo, this made me remember that when I was 14, I angrily snapped all the discs for Chrono Cross in half and took a pair of scissors to the strategy guide. I think it was because they killed off Robo from Chrono Trigger. God knows what I would have been like had I access to a Twitter or Reddit echo chamber.
That was a much more reasonable and understandable thing to be furious about.

Pentaro posted:

Remember we're all

:)

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I actually enjoy going through an adventure with what a region has first go around.

Its just the post game is the concern where your teams will only be whats stronger and available, this leads to just as a dead post meta if there is just a clearly set of stronger mons.

You could argue that is every game but with a bigger pool to pull from counters could appear with some experimentation. Outside ubers at least.

Edit: fat finger phone posting.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

That was a much more reasonable and understandable thing to be furious about.

Oh man, it's all coming back to me now. They killed Robo and the three main characters from Chrono Trigger, and then explained it as something like "The AI that was created by Dinosaurs from another dimension did it". When I beat the game, I snapped the discs in half because I was angry I had wasted 40 hours, and I would never be tempted to play it again.
If Reddit had existed at the time, there is at least a 100% chance my 14-year-old self would have written a 10-paragraph diatribe about it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

After being a part of the Mass Effect 3 and Xbox One backlash I'm a lot less reluctant to throw my hat in with the nuts who get into video game outrage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

I actually enjoy going through an adventure with what a region has first go around.

Its just the post game is the concern where your teams will only be whats stronger and available, this leads to just as a dead post meta if there is just a clearly set of stronger mons.

You could argue that is every game but with a bigger pool to pull from counters could appear with some experimentation. Outside ubers at least.

Edit: fat finger phone posting.

Sandstorm is going to eat everything alive

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

That could actually work. Only issue being searching for anyone willing to do the other half of a tradeback because if there is no incentive to do tradebacks for your usual random player on the GTS, they will not bother.

Makes sense for anyone wanting to do their own tradebacks. Like a guy looking to evolve his Haunter will check for anyone hosting a tradeback. The real issue might be timinig cause when you're ready to evolve you kinda want to do it now. At least that might be mitigated by the fact that there's so many people playing at any given time.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

qnqnx posted:

I never liked the "it is a children's game!" argument. It ignores the entirety of players that grew up with the games, and implies children don't deserve better things.

Yeah exactly. People advocating for the 'easy mode' argument often ignore that children are extremely willing to bang their head against a wall for as long as they need to in order to beat a game. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and running through Dark Cave with no flash and attempting to just ride along the walls. Kids do not need their hands held every part of the way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm pretty surprised we have so little data on Stonjourner, the leak master sheet changed his type yesterday "for now"(???) and there's no other data like abilities or moves or stats. i must llearn about my giant stone son

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dexit hit especially bad because of the one-two punch of how they did it. There was a long enough time of quiet after the initial Dexit announcement that people managed to calm a bit down and most of the internet had convinced themselves of comforting assumptions like "It will only be Legendaries" or "Just billion form stuff like Unown, Vivillion, and Spinda". Then WHAM the actual roster gets leaked and it's a full on culling of half the franchise, including the starters and multiple fan favorites. It made people feel even worse than if they had announced who was out in the first place.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kids don't have to bang their heads against the wall any more because they they can just jump to another of the million games out there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah exactly. People advocating for the 'easy mode' argument often ignore that children are extremely willing to bang their head against a wall for as long as they need to in order to beat a game. I remember being 8 or 9 years old and running through Dark Cave with no flash and attempting to just ride along the walls. Kids do not need their hands held every part of the way.

When I was 9, there was a playground rumor that there was a truck by the S.S. Anne in Red/Blue version, but you typically can't get to it since you needed Cut to proceed far enough into the game to get Surf to be able to reach that area and all the guy will do is say "the ship set sail" and not let you through.

So I was loving *hellbent* on figuring it out and ended up starting a new game on my opposite version of the game, and traded over Pokemon with the HMs needed, so I never had to get Cut or Surf or anything like that, and pushed through the game without needing to complete the S.S. Anne until I beat Koga and was able to use Surf. I found that truck and was crushed to find out that it does... nothing. But I was so proud of myself for figuring that poo poo out on my own (this was before I was able to access the internet to find that kinda info, but even for the longest time, internet "cheat" sites were loaded with rumors and false info anyway).

I was so stubborn with games as a kid, haha.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Catalina posted:

Oh man, it's all coming back to me now. They killed Robo and the three main characters from Chrono Trigger, and then explained it as something like "The AI that was created by Dinosaurs from another dimension did it". When I beat the game, I snapped the discs in half because I was angry I had wasted 40 hours, and I would never be tempted to play it again.
If Reddit had existed at the time, there is at least a 100% chance my 14-year-old self would have written a 10-paragraph diatribe about it.

The end of Chrono Cross is a revolving door of npcs you barely know anything about bursting through to say "ACTSHUALLY those other guys don't know poo poo, what really happened is" it's amazing. I think a literal face in the background of the final dungeon comes to life to babble inane poo poo to you

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The opposite, but it's in response in part to the overall negativity. I think there is a lot to be legit mad about, and I think it's even fine to get on Pokemon-centered social media to complain, but there's no need to go on someone's personal Twitter and harass them in posts entirely unrelated to Pokemon.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Framboise posted:

When I was 9, there was a playground rumor that there was a truck by the S.S. Anne in Red/Blue version, but you typically can't get to it since you needed Cut to proceed far enough into the game to get Surf to be able to reach that area and all the guy will do is say "the ship set sail" and not let you through.

So I was loving *hellbent* on figuring it out and ended up starting a new game on my opposite version of the game, and traded over Pokemon with the HMs needed, so I never had to get Cut or Surf or anything like that, and pushed through the game without needing to complete the S.S. Anne until I beat Koga and was able to use Surf. I found that truck and was crushed to find out that it does... nothing. But I was so proud of myself for figuring that poo poo out on my own (this was before I was able to access the internet to find that kinda info, but even for the longest time, internet "cheat" sites were loaded with rumors and false info anyway).

I was so stubborn with games as a kid, haha.

Kids are dumb as hell but they have all the drat time in the world and they're not old enough to value it yet. I honestly don't actually know if they ever do their research for how younger audiences respond to their game design. With Nintendo, they very clearly understand how to introduce a new audience to game mechanics. All the Mario games have a very clear progression that introduces the core movement in a clear and non-punishing way. But with Pokemon, the introduction seems to change every loving game. It's the 9th generation and they still seemingly don't understand how to introduce players to the core mechanics, god forbid any kind of introduction to multiplayer metagaming.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i'm pretty surprised we have so little data on Stonjourner, the leak master sheet changed his type yesterday "for now"(???) and there's no other data like abilities or moves or stats. i must llearn about my giant stone son

It seems that Stonjourner and Eiscue are version exclusives to match the Gym Leaders and that's why we can't get details on it, the leaker only has Shield.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Framboise posted:

I got little use out of the GTS because even for a lot of simple things, people were making pretty ridiculous demands for trades. No, I'm not gonna give you a level 80 rare Pokemon for your breeding chaff. Just gimme the other starters I don't have!

Wonder trade was more fun even if you end up with a lot of low effort lv. 2-5 trash, because getting the occasional good and cool Pokemon is like cracking a chase rare out of a pack of magic cards or a mobage gacha. It's exciting!

GTS netted me a multiscale scale Dratini with Extreme Speed in the first couple days of Y being out since the person trading it was from Japan. That little guy grew up to be such a wonderful shitwrecker to say nothing of the (near) perfect IV Dratini it eventually produced.

Gonna be sad if it's gone again. Wonder Trade was cool as a concept but I never got anything interesting it. Lots of level < 10 starter area trash though.

Catalina posted:

Oh yeah, Something Awful! That always had a pretty good community, I should check what's going on - "

I don't know what Something Awful you're referring to but it's not this place.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Fargle posted:

It seems that Stonjourner and Eiscue are version exclusives to match the Gym Leaders and that's why we can't get details on it, the leaker only has Shield.

oh no...... will this be the thing that makes me fnally get sword instead...... hot ice mom and candy goth horse, or big stone lad....

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Catalina posted:

In defense of your 14 year old self: killing the original cast off screen was a pretty bullshit story choice Chrono cross made.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In defense of your 14 year old self: killing the original cast off screen was a pretty bullshit story choice Chrono cross made.

It's actually cool and good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rillaboom is cool and my friend. Vote Rilla for smash

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQu2Z-Kauj8

people are getting creative with their saltyness