Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

bob human being posted:

nothing positive i can think of to say has yet to be said. capped this image and sent it to MY GIRLFRIEND/gbs when it came up.

You chose the Wrong Jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Songbearer posted:

He can't wear Kim's jacket

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Songbearer posted:

i somehow admired such a "generic statement"

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Oxxidation posted:

no, you're still not getting it. the game is about selfish and bad people doing bad things, even though those bad things are the only reason they're able to go on living on both a material and spiritual level. joel, marlene, and even ellie are all destroying themselves and everything around them so that they can find the will to live in a world that's already damaged beyond repair and becoming moreso by the actions of innumerable "survivors" just like them. joel was not in the wrong, and neither was ellie, and neither were the fireflies or even psychopaths like david and his crew, because all of their actions sprang from the same root. traditional morality has ceased to be a useful concept for the last of humanity

the only positive contrast to the last of us' dismal morality is the commune started by joel's brother, and even that's inevitably going to be poisoned by the survival instinct that the rest of the game displayed

pfffff nah sorry

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 8, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

bob human being posted:

very good game

now that ive dropped some ethical game reviews in the other threads for stuff ive played since probation, the solution to the mystery sucks. i can accept that an island i cant go to until i catch the perp(who ive never even heard of until this point which is bad) is where the story ends. the cryptid thats part of one of MANY yet only ONE sidequest being a heavy component is lame. meeting it would have been much more enjoyable in a less plot heavy context

nothing positive i can think of to say has yet to be said. capped this image and sent it to MY GIRLFRIEND/gbs when it came up.

That's fair, bob human being.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

This game really is art

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Songbearer posted:

Agreed

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anyone who chooses the "gently caress the world" jacket is a loving cop.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

kidkissinger posted:

a loving cop wearing a gently caress the world jacket(dunno who else saw that line)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah, I'm a loving cop. A cop who's going to tear up the dance floor until the Great Bloodletting starts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if i looking for frog

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

kidkissinger posted:

I don't like having Piss F***** on my back

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mayman10 posted:

I don't like having Piss F***** on my back

I think I know what your copotype is

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

I think I know what your copotype is

it was boring yeah :(

I played the int archetype and i just felt so bad having hosed everything up, I just wanted Kim to like me so I was a cop he would like or admire, minus the revolutionary communism part

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

you need to keep the pissfaggot jacket waiting for Kim to take his rightful place, it is not yours to wear

when he is ready, he will join you, but now is not the time

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I'd like to point out that I had a 92% chance of saving throw during the big event due to kim trusting me and he still admitted that I'm "more than a little racist" later.

I chose the "points at eyes" option because yknow...

Kim wears glasses. Tbh that was the only line of dialogue I clicked and got an unexpected result that I didnt like. Having electrochemisty be wrong about girls being into me repeatedly until volition stepped in was in the spirit of the game.

But I'll accept his statement due to entertaining measurehead for way too long.

Dont wanna double post(nobody has cared about that in years)

Unlike many other games that have a "cant see it all in one go" rule, this one is more complicated than "you didnt have the right skills and chose path a over b"(okay its exactly that thanks to saves scumming now pretend I didnt just contradict my statement). The vibe is "roll with it" which serious political fantasy game doesnt have(ie new vegas). I could try to open someone up either for funsies or the case and end up hacking a loogie into a womans purse thinking it's a spittoon and it's all "get over it" and keep playing.

Also it was very important to me as a person to beat measurehead up instead of debate him. I wanted to see what hed say afterwards and thought it couldn't hurt to roleplay someone who considers what he has to say and later felt bad because even tho hes a racist bully he did try and even succeed at sobering harry up.

just bob fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 9, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh god, is Kim going to make a comment on me for having internalized advanced race theory? Look man, I just internalized these thoughts, you know, as a joke!

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I cant even tell what's going on in Kim's head. Being a straight laced cop is his coping mechanism for a lot more bad poo poo than he'll admit.

Measurehead is my favorite character. Everything his says is rage inducing so most players(including myself) will be too bust trying to change him for the better to realise he was right that harry is a drunk.

just bob fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 9, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harry doesn't need Measurehead to sober up. You can just not drink.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bob human being posted:

I cant even tell what's going on in Kim's head. Being a straight laced cop is his coping mechanism for a lot more bad poo poo than he'll admit.

yeah some real hosed up poo poo happened to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rJGX8uqoL8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
One cool thing about the game is that even if you don't touch booze at all, it still treats you as an alcoholic, instead of acting like you overcame your great demon in just a week. It really drives home the monumentality of the personal challenges your character faces, and the scale of barriers he built up against the world. A lesser game would act as though your little sober stint was something heroic and something to celebrate, rather than a first step in a major personal journey of recovery.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bob human being posted:

Measurehead is my favorite character. Everything his says is rage inducing so most players(including myself) will be too bust trying to change him for the better to realise he was right that harry is a drunk.

He thinks Harry's race is what makes him a drunk though

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like the way that everyone refers to Measurehead as "that giant racist". Even like the scab leader and the Racist Lorry Driver.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hwurmp posted:

He thinks Harry's race is what makes him a drunk though

If he means 'the human race', he's right

but i know he doesnt

Begemot posted:

I like the way that everyone refers to Measurehead as "that giant racist". Even like the scab leader and the Racist Lorry Driver.

Well he's 2.5 meters tall, he quite literally is a giant racist.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Begemot posted:

So do I. Both his bigotry and physical stature are giant.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Pretty early on, I actually did a spit take with the boche game. Having a great time so far.

I didn't realise you couldn't remove thoughts without spending experience, is this something I should be worrying about?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It costs the same to buy a new slot as it does to forget a thought so there’s not much reason to forget any until you’ve filled up the whole cabinet, unless there’s something you don’t like the downside of

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Regarding some boot business: I got myself both the quests for all of the armor and the one specific to getting the boots. I was planning on going back through in a second playthrough and going full hobocop, do drugs, lean into being horrible and stuff. The psycho in me kind of still wants to do the sneaky thing and yank em, even though I've put the boots in inventory check already. I can wait out this day 2 and steal the boots tonight and then let kim take the corpse tomorrow. Given that I've already put the boots in the report and am generally trying to sober up and be somewhat less of a gutterfiend, is this a path best saved for a full on depravity run? I am totally waffling on talking myself into and out of it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Oh god, is Kim going to make a comment on me for having internalized advanced race theory? Look man, I just internalized these thoughts, you know, as a joke!

you can tell him something along the lines of "it's just a bit dude. I need to get into the harbor, don't worry about it" when he calls you out for it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

bob human being posted:

I cant even tell what's going on in Kim's head.

SPEEDFREAKS FM, non-stop, full stop.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Just finished, this is the best RPG I've ever played in my life. The emotional impacts all landed powerfully, at the right time. This is the best book I've ever played. There's gotta be a sequel, there's gotta be.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Finished it.

Reminds me of all the best contours of Thomas Mann, which is a comparison I don't think I've seen anywhere.

Particularly Magic Mountain, but also more Faustus than I'd expect.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In my first run, I just bashed in the back door of the bookshop, I had no idea you could convince Plaisance that you're a paranatural detective and then she just gives you the key.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Wafflecopper posted:

It costs the same to buy a new slot as it does to forget a thought so there’s not much reason to forget any until you’ve filled up the whole cabinet, unless there’s something you don’t like the downside of

Are they generally better than just putting a point in something? So far they are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

steinrokkan posted:

One cool thing about the game is that even if you don't touch booze at all, it still treats you as an alcoholic, instead of acting like you overcame your great demon in just a week. It really drives home the monumentality of the personal challenges your character faces, and the scale of barriers he built up against the world. A lesser game would act as though your little sober stint was something heroic and something to celebrate, rather than a first step in a major personal journey of recovery.

Part of it is also that almost everyone in town already saw what happens when Harry drinks, and there's zero chance they're going to think he's improved in under a week.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's even what the Get Sober thought says: "Congratulations, you've started a long and painful process that will take months of dedication and this is the last congratulations you'll get on the way."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's also the thought that tells you how old you are: A reminder that you are still in your early to mid-40s, and while you may not be able to wipe away all the damage your hard living has done, you still have time enough to turn things around and make a difference.

I'd say the entire game is about hope in desolation. It doesn't deny the reality of how bad things are, but it also doesn't say that things are meaningless because of that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
oh god i really shouldnt have shaved

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

oh god i really shouldnt have shaved

you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU