Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Angry_Ed posted:

Rand Paul picking out the bits of the Constitution he likes and ignoring the rest I see.

I saw “Calabresi” and for a minute I was like “aww Guido no :(“ but it’s just his stupid nephew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

What the gently caress is this? An attempt to pull back from full fascism?

The GOP donor class and their stooges will do fascism if the only alternative appears to be leftist populism, but they'd really, really love to return to the glory days when dog whistles and alibies let them avoid thinking about the repugnant consequences of their policies.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brookefoxnews/status/1192984534364635137

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Good luck with that, Devin.

You've pleased Daddy Trump. Maybe he'll pat you on the head and call you a good boy now.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The fact that they're still focusing on the whistleblower is amazing. It's like they're trying to close the barn door after the cow has already escaped and begun burning down Chicago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly can't figure out their game plan? Like are they hoping it'll go "oh well the whistleblower was fake so ALL this testimony is INVALID FOREVER."

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Investigate us?? Well consider yourself investigated!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly can't figure out their game plan? Like are they hoping it'll go "oh well the whistleblower was fake so ALL this testimony is INVALID FOREVER."

They want to associate the word fake to the word whistleblower, so that they can keep saying this is all a sham started by fake news. For anyone who has a brain and can think it won’t work, but there is a vast amount of people in the us who are “not political” and seriously go out of their way to avoid politics. Those are the ones that are gonna see news clips about the fake whistleblower and fake process and they don’t/wont have the mental capacity or curiosity or willpower to think about it and accept it at face value because it’s easier. And the republicans are way better at making loud noises so it might work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shifty Pony posted:

"Luxury" is a buzzword but it is absolutely not aimed at investors. It used to be perhaps but somewhere in the last decade or so some realtor somewhere slipped it into the listing for a lovely flip, saw it get a lot of attention, and everyone else dogpiled on.

Now the term as used by just about everyone complaining about the housing mix being built is just standard bullshit copy trying to hype up properties in hope that someone will spend $100/month more because the builder spent an extra $50 for the stainless steel finish on the appliances. There's actually a lot of hand-wringing in the real estate world that the word has lost all meaning with buyers (and renters). A lot of "everyone else ruined the word which I and I alone used responsibly :qq:"

Yeah the best test for 'is it ~luxury~?' is to look at how many rooms. 1-2 bed and 1.5 bath, not luxury, no matter how nice the appliances and countertops are. 3 bed 2.5/3 bath not luxury. 5 bed 4 bath probably not luxury, probably for either a bunch of kids or with a guest/parent or adult child space. Now that last one for a single person would be a ton, but 1-3 bed stuff, even if it's a nice place is just basic dwelling poo poo that would have to be incredibly opulent to be considered luxury.

Luxury as an actual small percentile marker of something above and beyond is much more about huge garages, shop space, a study/workout/play room/other niche single-purpose rooms (like lmfao if a place has a theater or some poo poo), etc. a bedroom being used as an office space doesn't really count here. Low key, roomy bathrooms and kitchens with a ton of extra counter space are two really reliable markers of a place built with fewer constraints

Luxury as a listing term just means there's at least one or two conspicuous, nicer features that generally are a time capsule of whatever is trendy of the year of construction.

There is a bit of a trend developing to downsell people who want big boomer houses into buying something practical (eg 3-4 bed, without a bunch of weird extraneous single use poo poo added on) because the entire new house market is people trying to buy 3-4 bed houses to raise kids in. Even dinks normally want bedroom+office/craft/project space+guest room. People in the market for fancy 5+ bedroom places are almost always going to just build something to their taste than get some 20+ year old 90s mcmansion.

Prester Jane posted:

The entire argument IP was making is that the lack of supply in housing is a direct result of perverse incentives for housing development- perverse incentives which are exemplified by the market distortion inherent;^ caused by building lots of high-end investment properties that no one lives in.

categorically this is not the case, at all. The ultra rich distort the market, but definitionally, they are an extremely tiny, tiny percentile of people buying housing and they have nearly zero impact on the housing market that people making under 300k/year are engaging with. Also worth noting that a lot of the various shades of extremely wealthy live in places that aren't especially fancy.

Like the best way to describe how completely the two are unrelated: it's like the market for super-yachts impacting the market for 14' aluminum lake boats

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 9, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/Diddy/status/1083355643132690432?s=19

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

They’re not trying to sway anyone in congress’s opinion. They’re trying to muddy the waters enough that unaware members of the public will turn against the investigation. They’re hoping that if they scream about unfairness enough and throw enough shade (warranted or not) on a more well known (at least as, “The Whistleblower”) witness that people will decide that maybe they aren’t full of poo poo.

They’re basically trying to get people to go, “Look, they said it’s unfair and that there Whistleblower sure is suspicious. I guess there must be something to what they’re saying.”

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Ok Boomer

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Im confused about the Greenwald thing, are we now AGAINST punching fascist enablers in the face? Or is it just when they’re journalists? Because GG probably has done more harm than Andy Ngo could hope to in his wildest dreams.

E: vvv oh, is it because opposing fascists in Brazil counts for double compared enabling fascist in the US?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Im confused about the Greenwald thing, are we now AGAINST punching fascist enablers in the face? Or is it just when they’re journalists? Because GG probably has done more harm than Andy Ngo could hope to in his wildest dreams.
You're right: you are confused about "the Greenwald thing."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Grats on writing probably the least intelligent post I've read all day

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Greenwald's mortal adversary Jair Bolsonaro prominent anti-fascist.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sojourn posted:

They’re not trying to sway anyone in congress’s opinion. They’re trying to muddy the waters enough that unaware members of the public will turn against the investigation. They’re hoping that if they scream about unfairness enough and throw enough shade (warranted or not) on a more well known (at least as, “The Whistleblower”) witness that people will decide that maybe they aren’t full of poo poo.

They’re basically trying to get people to go, “Look, they said it’s unfair and that there Whistleblower sure is suspicious. I guess there must be something to what they’re saying.”

There's basically a few fatal flaws in their plan:
1) Trump already released the (edited) Transcript which was hilariously damning and made the Whistleblower a non issue
2) Trump doesn't know how to shut up and let himself fade out of public conscious
3) Trump's basically hit the hard floor of his popularity and everyone has an opinion of him (mostly negative)
4) It the GOP so long to come up with a semi-coherent plan that they're fighting against a fairly entrenched narrative.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

Dog, I am 100% with you. As a father of a topiramate kid, loving poo poo is like amazing. He's done with seizure and now that TOPAMax is no longer patent I can afford to have steak with my wife once a month rather than going down to 2 meals. loving poo poo. I'm sorry but kids hurt and you would give your left arm to make them healthy.

I know that this sounds stupid as poo poo, but I wish actual blood rituals or whatever actually worked. I'd gladly give my life to save a few kids in the absence of affordable healthcare and/or medication.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

There is no trial until after impeachment begins so Rand is unknowingly supporting impeachment.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A Terrible Person posted:

I know that this sounds stupid as poo poo, but I wish actual blood rituals or whatever actually worked. I'd gladly give my life to save a few kids in the absence of affordable healthcare and/or medication.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Bots fighting one another in the comments.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Grats on writing probably the least intelligent post I've read all day

it's early

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Eschenique posted:

Bots fighting one another in the comments.

What’s the extension to show this?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

What’s the extension to show this?

Bot Sentinel.

It also flags unreliable sources.

It's of course not perfect. It flags behavior mainly so people like Bill Mitchel is flagged for acting like a "trollbot"

Ymmv but it's handy for finding accounts used to just argue in bad faith all day long with few other types of interactions.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Preface by saying I know jack poo poo about housing markets. But with all the talk of just needing to build more, I can't help but think of all the housing that was put up right before the Recession in the Phoenix suburbs where I was living at the time and how they sat there empty until the copper thieves cleaned all the pipes out of them. Was this a uniquely Phoenix (or sprawl-city in general perhaps) problem? Or why did building more homes in that case utterly flop?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

he was scared to be there alone

Michael Jackson wasn't there to hold his hand

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ImpAtom posted:

Probably this to some extent. They know they're hosed, but as long as they can create some bullshit like this and get it to stick with their supporters, they can continue to fan the flames of "Dems are corrupt anti americans" even as Reps drown in investigations

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

ImpAtom posted:

pick every fight, muddy every water.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Revelation 2-13 posted:

E: vvv oh, is it because opposing fascists in Brazil counts for double compared enabling fascist in the US?

lol go gently caress yourself you goddamned moron.

he got lula released from prison. pretty sure that puts GG way ahead of the entirety of US mainstream news in terms of net good done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mistaya posted:

Preface by saying I know jack poo poo about housing markets. But with all the talk of just needing to build more, I can't help but think of all the housing that was put up right before the Recession in the Phoenix suburbs where I was living at the time and how they sat there empty until the copper thieves cleaned all the pipes out of them. Was this a uniquely Phoenix (or sprawl-city in general perhaps) problem? Or why did building more homes in that case utterly flop?

I think the difference is space and location. People don’t wanna live out in the suburbs, they wanna live in the cities. Yeah you can get an abandoned 8 bedroom 6 bath for super cheap in Maricopa but why would you? (I know people who “invested” in housing there of all places and lol.)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ImpAtom posted:

In addition to the usual water muddying, they’re crossing their fingers that they get another Peter Strzok so they can scream about the deep state until the end of time.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm not surprised that liberals are seething over Greenwald - his reporting helped a leftist leader that was framed by neoliberals and fascists with assistance from Obama's government. Undermining neoliberalism AND Obama specifically is for sure a double whammy they can't handle.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mistaya posted:

It was not a unique thing there. The issue is that 'luxury homes' or 'luxury apartments' increases the cost of building them by maybe 5-10% but can command a much higher price so for the purpose of return on investment it's a no brainier.

All of those houses sat empty because thanks to the housing bubble they had a book value far higher than the market value and the banks holding them didn't want to recognize that loss by selling them for the proper price. Until they went to auction and A) had been abandoned for likely months at that point without maintenance and B) were probably sold to speculators or in many cases rental groups.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Greenwald is a good faith actor who has a huge blind spot for the authoritarian right in the US right now. To whatever extent he provides cover for the Trump administration, it’s because he’s a dyed in the wool contrarian who hates being aligned with the dominant narrative, especially when it involves trusting government evidence. He has a lot of incredibly dumb and harmful opinions about our current political situation, but he’s a natural and articulate ally of the left on many other issues. He’s also a fearless, legitimate journalist.

Andy Ngo is an alt-right propagandist and agitator who actively coordinates with white nationalist groups to instigate confrontations with leftist counter-protestors and selectively edits the resulting footage to make antifa look like violent thugs. He then distributes that footage with his own false narrative of events and claims the mantle of objective journalism. Oh, and he also doxxes left-wing protestors to intimidate and create safety concerns for them.

Glenn Greenwald gets poo poo on for good reason in this thread, but Andy Ngo doesn’t even belong in the same sentence.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

i didn't know the name people were saying is the whistleblower until this post.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Had to refresh myself on Greenwald, and yeah. I might not agree with some of his stances but he's a legitimate journalist with some good reporting under his belt.

Andy Ngo deserves to be put in stocks so people can wait in line to slap him upside his dumbass fascist-loving head. Right next to Spencer, Shapiro and Milo.

Oh, fie! This surely has my beanie askance!

Add him in, too.

I have a colleague of mine who listens to him because of his 'fence sitting' being some sort of both sides equilibrium, but every time I hear him talk its the same right-wing bullshit I see getting dragged here.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 9, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

mistaya posted:

In Colorado Springs around 2005 or so they projected like 50k - 100k new soldiers and Airman were going to be moving to the city due to Base Realignment and Closures. Developers built absurdly big sub division's of small, but really loving expensive houses (my friends house was around 1200 sq ft, 2 bed, 2 bath and was like $250k). Those Soldiers and Airman never came to the city so it was a double whammy when financial crisis started. My friend moved from CoS in 2007 and it took him to years to sell his house and at a major final loss to him and his wife.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

J.A.B.C. posted:

Had to refresh myself on Greenwald, and yeah. I might not agree with some of his stances but he's a legitimate journalist with some good reporting under his belt.

Andy Ngo deserves to be put in stocks so people can wait in line to slap him upside his dumbass fascist-loving head. Right next to Spencer, Shapiro and Milo.

Oh, fie! This surely has my beanie askance!

Add him in, too.

I have a colleague of mine who listens to him because of his 'fence sitting' being some sort of both sides equilibrium, but every time I hear him talk its the same right-wing bullshit I see getting dragged here.

It's amazing how many people get away with it simply because they repeat often enough that they're in the center or "oh i criticize the right too!" but they don't at all.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Im terrible at posting because I don't really know how to do it yet but I came across this: Politicians in Texas are trying to add moses to the influences of the founders of this country to the lesson plans in schools. It is straight up propaganda.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progr...ies-curriculum/

""They clearly couldn’t restrain themselves. From the Civil War to Moses and separation of church and state, board members substituted their personal beliefs for what scholars and teachers have been telling them is important to teaching the truth. Once again, we see why politicians rewriting curriculum standards for public schools is just a bad idea. You end up with history based on majority vote rather than on facts.""

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

RottenK posted:

I'm not surprised that liberals are seething over Greenwald - his reporting helped a leftist leader that was framed by neoliberals and fascists with assistance from Obama's government. Undermining neoliberalism AND Obama specifically is for sure a double whammy they can't handle.

Yea, that's the reason people hate Grenwald!