Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Well unless the Jew that he was singing "hey jew" about had tweeted about bagels then it's irrelevant really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

CoolCab posted:

i would say it's almost certainly some specific crank - someone in her social circle with a grudge, someone she friended in high school who wound up having radical different politics to her, maybe. police states only function because of informants.

It's quite possible that was all it was. That said I think people are underestimating how easy it would be to make a twitter bot that searches for key terms and saves a screenshot and name for later searching. If you've got even a moderately funded campaign, and let's be honest the right wing does, its the kind of project you can get done for a couple of grand. Let alone state level actors.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:lol:

(i would have replied sooner but i added it to my look-at-later list and didn't get around to it until just now)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
My Labour membership card arrived this morning. :unsmith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

It's quite possible that was all it was. That said I think people are underestimating how easy it would be to make a twitter bot that searches for key terms and saves a screenshot and name for later searching. If you've got even a moderately funded campaign, and let's be honest the right wing does, its the kind of project you can get done for a couple of grand. Let alone state level actors.

I'm given to understand that during the Great Labour Party Purge of Corbyn Supporters who F'in Loved the Foo Fighters prior to the 2016 leadership election, they had access to various script and other tools to do detailed twitter searches - feeding in all the email addresses of party members (perhaps those who joined since 2015) and searching twitter for those email addresses and then key words.

Another reason why I tell some of my colleagues who are unaccustomed to social media to not use the email address they use for the party or their own names if they want to express any sort of political opinion and, more, assume everything you post on social media even in 'secret' groups and private accounts will be on the front of the News of the World (if that still existed) tomorrow. I lost count of the number of times in a FB secret pro-Corbyn group of Olds they were trying to share posts publicly WITHOUT asking permission of the poster. All you need is, as someone said a few posts ago, is a disgruntled 'friend' or a acquaintance.

Happened to me on a non-political issue several years ago - someone not on my 'friends' posted something I'd posted in anger and deleted a few minutes later - on a public forum - not exactly what I'd said, but enough for me to know they'd seen it so obviously one of my friends had shared it with them. Or someone who doesn't really get privacy concerns and only sees it from their perspective. A friend was tagging me in all sorts of public posts (she only posts publicly) and I asked her please not to - 'I've nothing to hide' she said. 'Well I haven't either really, but it's not just YOU, it's me and all the other people you are tagging'. And it's ok if you live in the UK and most Western countries to slag off the government without TOO much fear of reprisals, but I have friends in some parts of the world where they would be in actual serious danger if you slag off the government.
Or (and enough ors here!) those idiots who post crud like 'if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear from the police' - well you might not, but others might especially if they live in aforementioned and not named countries!

(In grumpy mood because I can't get this wretched carpet cleaner I've hired to work).

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
ahem its: Torio delenda est.

Just saying.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jabby posted:

If we lose the election we still have the most left-wing Labour opposition in my lifetime, with a PLP gradually being stripped of its worst members and no more Watson. Corbyn will step down, nullifying all the media attacks on him as a person, and we elect a new left-wing leader.
Who will face exactly the same McCarthyist poo poo as Corbyn, you absolute numpty. Do you honestly think that a different person with the exact same policies is going to be left alone by the hostile press and right wing?

Corbyn isn't antisemitic, never has been, and yet you're saying that he should go because (whether he is or not) his image has been marred. So you've fallen for it prefectly. Every leftist leader that follows will suffer the same fate, especially if it works on Corbyn.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-labour-theresa-may-gunpoint-kate-osborne-jarrow-a9196236.html

If you read the comments under the article you can find a link to the image which is I think Samuel Jackson in 70s look pointing gun.
I thought it would be that bit. The point of that scene was that Jackson's character drew the gun as an overreaction to the character saying 'what' instead of answering him over and over. It's a good similie. But then I would not expect the print media to understand memes, it's like Kuenssberg and shitposting all over again.

Guavanaut posted:

I heard Jeremy Corbyn was on the bus too and started a chant of Oh Jewremy Corbyn and the bus was racist.
I'm also confused about how 'Hey Jews' is antisemitic. Jews isn't a slur in and of itself, is it? I mean this genuinely, I don't understand in this situation how it would be antisemitic, if it did happen.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Why was this deleted?

Did someone point out that corporate HQ might just :commissar: the entire staff or what?`

Edit: oh he fixed the "their" typo.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Collateral posted:

Just saying.

If that's the correct way to write it then ok :)

Tories delenda est

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm also confused about how 'Hey Jews' is antisemitic. Jews isn't a slur in and of itself, is it? I mean this genuinely, I don't understand in this situation how it would be antisemitic, if it did happen.
Depends on the rest of the song really, but unless you're Mel Brooks or Weird Al Yankovic, changing a song that has nothing to do with Jews into one that does is a very strange move. Not necessarily antisemitic, but still like a bit mate, why?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Collateral posted:

Just saying.

Could these be the Roman Tories?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimates

quote:

They formed in reaction against the reforms of the Gracchi brothers—two tribunes of the plebs between 133 and 121 BC who tried to pass an agrarian law to help the urban poor, and a political reform that would have diminished the influence of the senatorial class. As the Optimates were senators and large landowners, they violently opposed the Gracchi, and finally murdered them, but their program was upheld by several politicians, called the Populares ("favouring the people"). For about 80 years, Roman politics was marked by the confrontation of these two factions.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If Tory is a proper noun then it should be Torys.

Is Tory a proper noun though.

It's such a long time since I used latin but the -o is the dative conjugation, without it there is no "must" as a thing that must be done shortly followed by the thing that is to be done. Whereas -i a thing that was done, so Torii delenda est would be the Torys were destroyed. Or I Destroy the Torys. Urgh. I forgot to conjugate the verb. LifeofBrianscene.mp4

Please somebody correct me, I dont want to get out by old books to see if I have early onset dementia.

Nah the Roman Torys were Patricians, and later the Equine class. Optimates were definately wiggish so the equivalent of Liberals.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 9, 2019

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
You can say what you like but I'm gonna do me

Tories delenda est

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

Nah the Roman Torys were Patricians, and later the Equine class.
Inbreeding will do that.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Poison Jam posted:

Tories delenda est

It's good to have you back pjam

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Collateral posted:

Nah the Roman Torys were Patricians, and later the Equine class.

I believe it was a pig but Tories be as Tories do.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Poison Jam posted:

Tories delenda est

December thread title right here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Poison Jam posted:

Tories delenda est

I'm enjoying this Cato Cosplay

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Collateral posted:

It's such a long time since I used latin but the -o is the dative conjugation, without it there is no "must" as a thing that must be done shortly followed by the thing that is to be done. Whereas -i a thing that was done, so Torii delenda est would be the Torys were destroyed. Or I Destroy the Torys. Urgh. I forgot to conjugate the verb. LifeofBrianscene.mp4

Please somebody correct me, I dont want to get out by old books to see if I have early onset dementia.

Carthago is the nominative.

I'm afraid this is so wrong that it cannot be corrected.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you're a racist dipshit then just mentioning the jewish people is a hilarious bit because reasons.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The thought that someone might be screen-capping my anti-Tory social media posts just makes me want to post more of them.
You'll run out of storage space before I run out of anti-Tory sentiments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Latin is dead, much like the Tories should be.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Collateral posted:

Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEcCyQYKcY

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Cool that the already debunked bus story has replaced the Tory islamophobia on the guardian website.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1193189794752409602

:psyduck:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sinky posted:

Cool that the already debunked bus story has replaced the Tory islamophobia on the guardian website.

Jo Swinson called the thing that didn't happen disgusting so they need to make everyone aware of that.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

sanguine af right now fams. if they had to sit on this non-story for 20 months then i doubt they have much in reserve. a lesson to all of us not to blow one's load too early. they now have an empty tank, they are running on fumes. very sad!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Are you kidding me

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50356496

quote:

A teenager has been charged with murdering a man stabbed at a knife awareness course in London.

:psyduck:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

wait, the guy was stabbed at a knife awareness course and then at a later time was stabbed by the teenager?

edit: not doing a bit, i can't open the link and the wording is weird

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ague Proof posted:

Carthago is the nominative.

I'm afraid this is so wrong that it cannot be corrected.

I'll give it a go, prolly badly since its been many years since school and all.

It's a gerundive construct of the verb delendo (to destroy), which imparts a form of obligation on the noun. In this case "to be destroyed". Gerundive is formed from a noun specifying the object (Torius/Torii), the verb stem with a suffix of -nd- and then an adjective ending for the given noun (delend-us or delend-i). It can be used either with either a verb like "to be" (est/sunt) in the present tense to form a predicative/obligation construct (i.e. has to be) or by itself.

Basically depending on if it's a singular or plural (The Tory has to be destroyed vs. The Tories have to be destroyed) it would be either

Torius delendus est

or

Torii delendi sunt

The ending itself may differ depending on noun declension form (this is assuming it's as servus).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 9, 2019

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

To be fair that probably made him extremely aware of the knife.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

If you're a racist dipshit then just mentioning the jewish people is a hilarious bit because reasons.
tbf guys like Warren Mitchell could do hilarious bits on 'the Jews', but the dipshits don't see why that's different.

Also it seems like a lot of sit com writers are Jewish, especially in the US. Part of that comes from a lot of hotels in the NY and CA area refusing Jews, so Jews in America set up their own entertainment circuit in the Borscht Belt. That ends up with a lot of comedy taking the piss out of the absurdities of Judaism (pears are forbidden), or self-referential pokes at Jewish culture or stereotypes, which then filters down to the "well if they can say it why can't I?" lot.

gh0stpinballa posted:

wait, the guy was stabbed at a knife awareness course and then at a later time was stabbed by the teenager?

edit: not doing a bit, i can't open the link and the wording is weird
He was stabbed at the knife awareness course, and later died in hospital. The kid hadn't murdered him until the point of his death, but only attacked him once.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Depends on the rest of the song really, but unless you're Mel Brooks or Weird Al Yankovic, changing a song that has nothing to do with Jews into one that does is a very strange move. Not necessarily antisemitic, but still like a bit mate, why?

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining what value anyone would see in changing Jude to Jew, apart from Jew being inherently humorous. Like, there's no transformation of the text or funny juxtaposition, it's just "Heh, can you even believe Jews exist??" :D

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Lobster God posted:

To be fair that probably made him extremely aware of the knife.

Its a new tory hardline policy. Anyone caught with a knife will be stabbed with that knife.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining what value anyone would see in changing Jude to Jew, apart from Jew being inherently humorous. Like, there's no transformation of the text or funny juxtaposition, it's just "Heh, can you even believe Jews exist??" :D

Airline food minorities, am I right? :smugmrgw: *canned laughter*

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

:crossarms:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's one of those things that is probably not intended as hateful, but it is making light of the anti-semitism issue and is just not a good idea right now.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
ceterum censeo torios esse delendat

edit: no but for real this thread needs a centurion to twist your ears a little

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Not So Fast posted:

It's one of those things that is probably not intended as hateful, but it is making light of the anti-semitism issue and is just not a good idea right now.
From the sounds of it, it's one of those things that didn't actually happen, but Jo Swinson is disgusted about it happening nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Z7182kV-Q

:effort:

e:
source: https://www.facebook.com/JacobReesMogg/videos/546575409501608/