Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Im confused about the Greenwald thing, are we now AGAINST punching fascist enablers in the face? Or is it just when they’re journalists? Because GG probably has done more harm than Andy Ngo could hope to in his wildest dreams.

I don’t really know, Glenn is an all around awful person who lives in Brazil and is friends with Tucker and comes on TV to make things worse in America. If he wasn’t gay maybe I wouldn’t catch so many probations when I express my total dislike for the man. I don’t really get it because I can say gently caress a lot of people but every time I say gently caress Glenn Greenwald I have to wait 6hrs to post again :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Zwabu posted:

As far as I know. But apparently so will Baby Trump!

That blimp should follow Trump everywhere he goes by law

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

ManBoyChef posted:

Im terrible at posting because I don't really know how to do it yet but I came across this: Politicians in Texas are trying to add moses to the influences of the founders of this country to the lesson plans in schools. It is straight up propaganda.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progr...ies-curriculum/

""They clearly couldn’t restrain themselves. From the Civil War to Moses and separation of church and state, board members substituted their personal beliefs for what scholars and teachers have been telling them is important to teaching the truth. Once again, we see why politicians rewriting curriculum standards for public schools is just a bad idea. You end up with history based on majority vote rather than on facts.""

This is from more than a year ago btw

Moses being the “law giver” or whatever that phrase is and the influence of the Ten Commandments in the development of America isn’t a new thing, it’s the same rationale that the Supreme Court relies upon to let Texas keep the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the capital

And yet they keep rejecting my proposal for a statute of William the Conqueror killing King Harold as a tribute to the establishment of the common law system

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's amazing the lengths centrists will go to in order to delegitimize anyone who doesn't agree with them

the alt-right literally took 'npc' from centrist types calling everyone they dislike a 'bot' and it's hilarious when the two groups find each other

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bots. Bots. Bots. You’re all bots. None of you are free of sin.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

So a while ago on College Gameday, I saw, very quickly as the camera zoomed past a bunch of people, someone with an Alabama foam hand (you know, usually shaped like someone doing the "We're #1" index finger up) except this one was shaped like the OK symbol.

I hate everything about this timeline and I want to get off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fool_of_sound posted:

I would very much like to talk to my programmer regarding some of the flags and variables they set.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mistaya posted:

Preface by saying I know jack poo poo about housing markets. But with all the talk of just needing to build more, I can't help but think of all the housing that was put up right before the Recession in the Phoenix suburbs where I was living at the time and how they sat there empty until the copper thieves cleaned all the pipes out of them. Was this a uniquely Phoenix (or sprawl-city in general perhaps) problem? Or why did building more homes in that case utterly flop?

There are non-market reasons to support new construction of specifically multi-family housing units as well. From a climate change perspective, rapid and extensive densification is needed. This may have a side-benefit of improving the market if enough housing is built near where people want to live, but IMO we should all think of that as a secondary reason to support new construction of apartment/condo buildings.

Of course how to make all the new construction fair, equitable, and non-disruptive to communities (as much as is possible) is a big policy problem and I don’t know the solution. I just know that it’s necessary.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

i am harry posted:

I don’t really know, Glenn is an all around awful person who lives in Brazil and is friends with Tucker and comes on TV to make things worse in America. If he wasn’t gay maybe I wouldn’t catch so many probations when I express my total dislike for the man. I don’t really get it because I can say gently caress a lot of people but every time I say gently caress Glenn Greenwald I have to wait 6hrs to post again :shobon:

Watching people give him the benefit of the doubt is amusing. People can joke and hee-haw about Richard Spencer getting punched in the face, but to even suggest you found it amusing that Greenwald was barely even tapped in the face is grounds for probation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Being hit by a fascist for damaging the country's fascist leader and being punched by an antifascist for being a nazi are, in fact, two different things.

Like I don't really personally like greenwald, but that's some serious both sides poo poo.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 9, 2019

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tacier posted:

Greenwald is a good faith actor who has a huge blind spot for the authoritarian right in the US right now.

You glossed over the important part, because the blind eye to American fascism directly contradicts the good faith part. Ill tell you why people ITT don't like him. His " huge blind spot for the authoritarian right in the US" is 100% intentional and its a hell of a thing to ignore because he said something else you agreed with once

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

:mitt:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

You know it would be used to trade some uncountable poor kids lives to prolong that of a billionaire.

A little late, but in the spirit of d&d..

Sure, I totally understand that a theoretical society that could utilize blood sacrifice for untold power would result in the death of countless innoccents. My sacrifice would ultimately be meaningless considering the millions of children getting beheaded, dismembered, or bled dry rather than dieing of preventable disease, war, or while in custody.

I suppose the me from that timeline would wish they could sacrifice themself in such a way that no further blood sacrifices would be possible?

Consider instead that I was wishing to give my soul to a Djinn and rules-lawyering like gently caress so kids get helped while only Nazis faced the inevitable backlash.

:sweatdrop:

I'm sorry. I know your forgiveness is your own to give or not. I don't have to agree with everything you say, but I've been an unthinking rear end about you and your history in the past. I apologise and wish I could take it back.

Also, I know you mean it but, unlike me, you're more affective alive than dead. Keep fighting despite the hurt. You're making a difference.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 9, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Saagonsa posted:

Being hit by a fascist for damaging the country's fascist leader and being punched by an antifacist for being a nazi are, in fact, two different things.

Like I don't really personally like greenwald, but that's some serious both sides poo poo.

It's straight up being uninformed. Greenwald was reporting on United States fascism in the Bush days before most anyone else in the media would touch it while most everyone in the country was rooting for it. And he did it during the Obama days too which pissed off a lot of democrats. He has been blackballed by CNN and MSNBC by doing those things. So he goes on Carlson's show. I don't agree with that. And I agree he has some blind spots, but come on. He's doing journalism right now reporting on fascism in Brazil. He is at literal physical risk.

The fact he can only appear on Tucker Carlson's show than any other news show in America says a lot more about American media than it does about him.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

You glossed over the important part, because the blind eye to American fascism directly contradicts the good faith part. Ill tell you why people ITT don't like him. His " huge blind spot for the authoritarian right in the US" is 100% intentional and its a hell of a thing to ignore because he said something else you agreed with once

Dude, he basically made his name reporting about authoritarianism in the US.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

1glitch0 posted:

To be fair, if you're an actual human being who fails the Turing test you might as well be flagged as a bot.

I do like how Bot Sentinel refuses to manually remove anyone who gets flagged, whether they’re real humans or not. Their suggestion: stop tweeting like a trollbot then you’ll automatically remove absent yourself after a few days.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mistaya posted:

Preface by saying I know jack poo poo about housing markets. But with all the talk of just needing to build more, I can't help but think of all the housing that was put up right before the Recession in the Phoenix suburbs where I was living at the time and how they sat there empty until the copper thieves cleaned all the pipes out of them. Was this a uniquely Phoenix (or sprawl-city in general perhaps) problem? Or why did building more homes in that case utterly flop?

there's your problem

the recession was specifically triggered by malfeasance and a bubble in housing. phoenix is a sprawly city, and your specific perspective was one which saw extra houses which were completed at the wrong time. i bet those houses are mostly inhabited today, but 2009-2011 was a different story. what you're talking about are houses which people definitely could have lived in, but which nobody wanted to/could afford to buy at the time. the housing market is wildly inefficient at actually providing housing in adequate supply to people because of market factors like this, and that developers would rather gamble on $500k+ large single family homes than a building full of $200k- condos due to profit incentive

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/11/the-unfinished-suburbs-of-America/382707/

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pkay posted:

Watching people give him the benefit of the doubt is amusing. People can joke and hee-haw about Richard Spencer getting punched in the face, but to even suggest you found it amusing that Greenwald was barely even tapped in the face is grounds for probation.

none of us are shocked to see a liberal cheering for Bolsonaro to rid them of undesirable brazilians, Pkay. it's why Obama went to such lengths to get Lula jailed in the first place.

but now, that danged Greenwald character has gotten him out of jail, and the only commentary the American liberal can offer is Why Won't The Fascists Kill This loving Journalist Already.

you're supposed to keep the mask on a little better than that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193190844012122113
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193192673429131264
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193200357243080704

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

UHHHHHH

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

can you explain what his 'agenda' actually is then? like, sack up and say you think he's an actual pro-fascist or something if you're gonna play this dumb 'oh this is all intentional and he actively is supporting fascists' game when he's done more to fight fascim than most anyone ITT.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

This is from more than a year ago btw

Moses being the “law giver” or whatever that phrase is and the influence of the Ten Commandments in the development of America isn’t a new thing, it’s the same rationale that the Supreme Court relies upon to let Texas keep the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the capital

And yet they keep rejecting my proposal for a statute of William the Conqueror killing King Harold as a tribute to the establishment of the common law system

Code of Hammurabi what? Guess he don't count despite predating Moses by 200-500 years because he's Arab.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That’s begging for those fake book covers the people used on Jr.’s book except subbing in the word “Nazism” on the front.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Eschenique posted:

Bots fighting one another in the comments.

How did you get Bots marked like that? (and is there one for facebook)

Draynar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 9, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Donald has sure read a lot in the last few days.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Does anyone really think he read his sons book? I bet you he didn't even listen to somebody summarize it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's amazing the lengths centrists will go to in order to delegitimize anyone who doesn't agree with them

61%

Those poor mistreated nationalists. They only want the... *Checks notes* removal of anyone not them from the country.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Pretending he read and enjoyed his son's book is the most human thing Trump has ever done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ThomasIsOnline/status/1193198692406304769?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump read as much of that book as his son actually wrote of it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Did Jr writer the book?

1000% he didnt see the "jr" part and thought how awesome he wrote a new book.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the book that i got mad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ted Cruz: But that's impossible. How will the president maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Stephen Miller: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local counties in line. Fear of this administration.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ague Proof posted:

Pretending he read and enjoyed his son's book is the most human thing Trump has ever done.

It's not because he makes the exact same statement about books he's pushing by people who aren't his son.

...this was meant as an attack?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Did Jr writer the book?

there's a 100% chance that a ghostwriter did it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
okay but did Jr get to put his name as the label.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Haha, Cartoon Network is going to sue them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

...this was meant as an attack?

To the people deathly afraid of these things, probably. On the other hand it's Crowder who is hilariously bad at his "attacks"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I wonder how many people are about to sign up for the IDF.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I’m still waiting for an explanation of that.

I was making a joke about it being the Impeachment Defense Force :v:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

Haha, Cartoon Network is going to sue them.

Professor Chink... really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

eke out posted:

there's a 100% chance that a ghostwriter did it

To be fair I’m sure most celebrities at least partially employ ghostwriters. Writing a book is hard.