Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

I forgot to ask the most important question - what's your budget?

For storing modern games remotely, I've had issues getting that to work properly, and they're so large that the load times are bad enough on an internal HDD, let alone over a gigabit network. Emulator-related stuff and media are fine.

QNAP and Synology devices can run docker and there's plenty of docker containers for all your downloader needs.

Plex has a list of NAS devices that shows which ones are able to transcode a single stream at what levels
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273
(From https://support.plex.tv/articles/201373803-nas-compatibility-list/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Actuarial Fables posted:

For storing modern games remotely, I've had issues getting that to work properly, and they're so large that the load times are bad enough on an internal HDD, let alone over a gigabit network. Emulator-related stuff and media are fine.

That’s why you buy a couple 10GbE cards and plug your NAS right into your gaming rig :eng101:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 7, 2019

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Note, to transcode from Synology with plex you need to be on plex premium or whatever, unless you use the Synology version. Which is kind of stripped down.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Paul MaudDib posted:

That’s why you buy a couple 10GbE cards and plug your NAS right into your gaming rig :eng101:

Correct. Even if you don't have 10GbE backhaul. It'll prevent overhead.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks goons. Didn't realise it could be overkill to THAT extend but I did feel it would give me room for growth. Maybe too much? :v:

So maybe I should jus-

Paul MaudDib posted:

:hmmyes:

Actuarial Fables posted:

I forgot to ask the most important question - what's your budget?

QNAP and Synology devices can run docker and there's plenty of docker containers for all your downloader needs.

Plex has a list of NAS devices that shows which ones are able to transcode a single stream at what levels
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273
(From https://support.plex.tv/articles/201373803-nas-compatibility-list/)

I was thinking 500 for the NAS itself but its not a hard limit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mindblast posted:

Thanks goons. Didn't realise it could be overkill to THAT extend but I did feel it would give me room for growth. Maybe too much? :v:

So maybe I should jus-

:hmmyes:

haha just kidding... unless?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-AOC-STGN-I2S-Rev-2-0-10GbE-Dual-Port-SFP-Network-Card-USED/254383311181

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-Mellanox-EN-ConnectX-2-1-Port-10GbE-Network-Adapter/153479661833

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Twinax-Passive-Cable/223481569544

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

10gigE isn't cheap, but it's also not that expensive for a small setup. Refurbished NICs can be had for <$50, and short run cables for <$20. Switches are still expensive, with the cheapest I know of being a 4 port (+1 gigE port) Mikrotik for $130. But if both systems are in the same room, or on the other side of a wall you can poke a hole through, you can do a direct connection for under $100.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lowest I have seen 12tb drives ($180). The future is coming.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13524082-12tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-179-99-free-shipping?v=1&src=frontpage

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6364259.p?skuId=6364259

Moey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 7, 2019

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
If you want to shuck drives wd external 10tb were/are. $160 all over

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Mindblast posted:

I was thinking 500 for the NAS itself but its not a hard limit.

With or without drives?

500 w/o drives can get you a pretty beefy home NAS appliance, and is also within the build-your-own price range as well. Using an off the shelf NAS is a lot simpler and you don't have to do as much janitoring, but building your own gives your a lot more flexibility in what it's capable of (and is typically a lot more powerful).

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS918-Diskless/dp/B075N1Z9LT/
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451-2G-US-Quad-Core-Transcoding/dp/B015VNLGF8

Reaching above $500 will get into devices that have built-in or optional expansion slots for 10gbit networking, if that's something you're actually considering.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMYKYKJ/

The 4-bay devices are what you should be aiming at for your specified needs. Throw in some high-capacity HDDs and put it in RAID5.

If you're interested in building your own, have a look at Unraid. It's very beginner friendly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roundboy posted:

If you want to shuck drives wd external 10tb were/are. $160 all over

Yeah but this makes the 12TB slightly cheaper on a $/GB basis, and if you're limited on drive count then 12TB may just plain be more attractive anyway.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have an old rear end HP N40L microserver with 6 HDDs in it using freenas with ZFS.

I also have a newer ShuttlePC that is way better specced but the problem is that it will only fit 2 HDDs internally.

Does anyone know of a cheap and decent external enclosure (either 4 or 6 drives) that I can hook up to some type of HBA card in the ShuttlePC?

I'm cheap so something that isn't crazy expensive.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Actuarial Fables posted:

With or without drives?

500 w/o drives can get you a pretty beefy home NAS appliance, and is also within the build-your-own price range as well. Using an off the shelf NAS is a lot simpler and you don't have to do as much janitoring, but building your own gives your a lot more flexibility in what it's capable of (and is typically a lot more powerful).

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS918-Diskless/dp/B075N1Z9LT/
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451-2G-US-Quad-Core-Transcoding/dp/B015VNLGF8

Reaching above $500 will get into devices that have built-in or optional expansion slots for 10gbit networking, if that's something you're actually considering.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMYKYKJ/

The 4-bay devices are what you should be aiming at for your specified needs. Throw in some high-capacity HDDs and put it in RAID5.

If you're interested in building your own, have a look at Unraid. It's very beginner friendly.

500 without drives is fine. And I enjoy tinkering so I'll go read up on Unraid as well.

Lots of good poo poo. Thanks! :dukedoge:

nerox
May 20, 2001

Mindblast posted:

500 without drives is fine. And I enjoy tinkering so I'll go read up on Unraid as well.

Lots of good poo poo. Thanks! :dukedoge:

I use Unraid and don't know poo poo about linux, its fun to play with and learn new things.

There is a youtube channel called space invader one that teaches a lot about how to do stuff in unraid with step by step instructions.

Originally I had a server with 4x 4tb drives that ran plex, sabnzbd, radarr, and sonarr, which was about a year and half ago.

I have since added 4x 8TB drives, which is like 32 TBs of storage with dual parity with my other drives.
I have also added dockers for Pihole, a Steam caching server, and a pfsense VM which I use for my router now and a bunch of other little things.

I really can't recommend unraid enough for an easy to use server for your house that can run a lot of poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My one worry about unraid is figuring out how to determine which drive died in the case of one going. Just have the SATA ports on an old 2500K PC.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

priznat posted:

My one worry about unraid is figuring out how to determine which drive died in the case of one going. Just have the SATA ports on an old 2500K PC.

I haven't used Unraid in a while, but it should display the serial number of the drive somewhere. The serial number is printed on the drive's sticker, so you can just look at your drives to figure out which one you need to replace.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

I haven't used Unraid in a while, but it should display the serial number of the drive somewhere. The serial number is printed on the drive's sticker, so you can just look at your drives to figure out which one you need to replace.

Ah that will make it not too bad then!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, do yourself a favor and make a list of what drive is installed where, by serial number. That way you know which drive to pull instead of pulling each one until you get the right one. It can also be useful if the dead drive shits itself so bad that it won't identify itself via SMART, so you can make the server give you a list of what drives it sees and you can know from there which serial is missing.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
There is an Unraid add on that will turn on the light for a failed drive (assuming you have external bays).

nerox
May 20, 2001
I feel like there is a plugin that i have on my machine that you can mark where various things are on your machine, like whats in each pci slot, and physical location of drives from top to bottom on a little graph of a tower.

I will have to look when I get home.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, good info thanks all!

That plugin sounds handy too.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Oooh, this is entering what I'd marked as my upgrade zone -- 12+TB @ $160-180. Guess I have to start squirreling away some budget now. Not looking forward to resilvering 6 drives up from my 5TB Reds, but surely 48TB will be enough for a long time, right

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, do yourself a favor and make a list of what drive is installed where, by serial number. That way you know which drive to pull instead of pulling each one until you get the right one. It can also be useful if the dead drive shits itself so bad that it won't identify itself via SMART, so you can make the server give you a list of what drives it sees and you can know from there which serial is missing.

I've printed stickers with the serial and put them on both ends of the drive.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

kiwid posted:

I have an old rear end HP N40L microserver with 6 HDDs in it using freenas with ZFS.

I also have a newer ShuttlePC that is way better specced but the problem is that it will only fit 2 HDDs internally.

Does anyone know of a cheap and decent external enclosure (either 4 or 6 drives) that I can hook up to some type of HBA card in the ShuttlePC?

I'm cheap so something that isn't crazy expensive.

Mediasonic makes these multi-bay enclosures that connect via USB3 (or eSATA); is something like this cheap enough?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Been trying to order 2 of the 8tb easystores from amazon for an hour. Either they're hard crashed or my card is going to be charged for 100,000$.

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going to be building myself a new NAS in the near future, since 12tb drives are apparently stupidly cheap right now. I haven't started properly shopping cases/boards/etc yet, but my suspicion is that I'm going to want to put 8-12 drives in it. Anyone have a variety of case they're particularly fond of for such things? Ease of working on it being the main concern.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Unoriginality posted:

I'm going to be building myself a new NAS in the near future, since 12tb drives are apparently stupidly cheap right now. I haven't started properly shopping cases/boards/etc yet, but my suspicion is that I'm going to want to put 8-12 drives in it. Anyone have a variety of case they're particularly fond of for such things? Ease of working on it being the main concern.

Fractal Design R5 does up to 10 drives, U-NAS NSC810A or Silverstone DS 380B let you do 8 drives, if you want to go 12+ you may want to think about a disk shelf like DS4243 (and you'll probably want to swap the IOM units so it can be driven with a standard SAS card).

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Atomizer posted:

Mediasonic makes these multi-bay enclosures that connect via USB3 (or eSATA); is something like this cheap enough?

Yes that's interesting. Thanks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Fractal Design R5 does up to 10 drives, U-NAS NSC810A or Silverstone DS 380B let you do 8 drives, if you want to go 12+ you may want to think about a disk shelf like DS4243 (and you'll probably want to swap the IOM units so it can be driven with a standard SAS card).

You can add additional HDD cages to the Fractal R5 and fit 12-15 drives.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I put Ombi on my server tonight and the app on my wife's phone and now she can search poo poo herself without asking me to do it. It is pretty fantastic.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Unoriginality posted:

I like the Rosewill 4U rackmount style cases, the RSV-L4500 can fit 15 drives in it plus pretty much any motherboard you could reasonably obtain fits in it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nerox posted:

I put Ombi on my server tonight and the app on my wife's phone and now she can search poo poo herself without asking me to do it. It is pretty fantastic.

Is sharing Plex libraries with goons allowed on SA? Anybody who wants access to mine can PM their email address to me.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am trying to setup letsencrypt on my server to get a reverse proxy going, which the unraid docker container needs port 80 to do, and my ISP is insistent that they do not block port 80. They are blocking port 80. :argh:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

nerox posted:

I am trying to setup letsencrypt on my server to get a reverse proxy going, which the unraid docker container needs port 80 to do, and my ISP is insistent that they do not block port 80. They are blocking port 80. :argh:

You can use just 443 if you dns validation.
Unraid itself tries to use port 80/443 so you can run into issues trying to give a container those ports directly. The workaround is to map container port 80/443 to host port 8080/8443 (arbitrary port numbers, can use whatever) and on your router port forward 80/443 to 8080/8443.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You can also change the unraid webui port. I did and it seems fine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

You can also change the unraid webui port. I did and it seems fine.

And for the crowning nerdy way of doing it - put a Haproxy instance on port 80+443 and use it as a http router. (basically "acl if ^/.acme/.*$ backend = let's encrypt, elsif remote_host ~ ^192.168.1.[0-255] backend unraid, else default static 404.html.)

Also don't expose unraid to the internet.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Is sharing Plex libraries with goons allowed on SA? Anybody who wants access to mine can PM their email address to me.

Considering Lowtax himself offered access to his own PMS a year or so ago, I'd guess it's still OK! I'm assuming the only thing prohibited is selling access to pirated content à la Reddit.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So what's the thread opinion of HGST brand drives ? I need as many TBs as I can get for $200-250ish, up to 4 physical drives. I found brand new 3TB HUS724030ALA640 (0F14689) @ $50 each on newegg, would get 4 of them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MREBoy posted:

So what's the thread opinion of HGST brand drives ? I need as many TBs as I can get for $200-250ish, up to 4 physical drives. I found brand new 3TB HUS724030ALA640 (0F14689) @ $50 each on newegg, would get 4 of them.

In the past, in the Backblaze Hard Drive Stats, HGST have had some of the lowest failure rates out there. Looking at the latest one however, the 12TB drives do seem perform a bit worse, albeit with a very small data sample so far.. Ditch that, the actual latest one (from Q2 not Q1 as I had before) HGST is back to a very low failure percentage as usual.

They're usually quite good drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you're looking at https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822145894 - those aren't new drives. goHardDrive wipes the SMART data and provides their own warranty. To be fair, they're decent, I've bought some 8TB drives from them and the exchange on a few DOA drives was painless.

For that money, why four drives instead of two 8/10 TB drives, or a single 12TB if you aren't counting any redundancy in there?