Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

I hope the dog's OK.

*frantically refreshes doesthedogdie.com*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eezee posted:

All of those trailers actually feel like they were made by fans instead of professionals.
The first runner up was good, but homages to 80s movies are pretty overdone at this point.

Considering some of the garbage trailers that come out for even big movies, it's no surprise that they chose a mediocre trailer as the winner.

I guarantee you there were a bunch of entries that were "good trailers" and they immediately got flushed.

Nobody wants to start the dialogue that anybody can cut trailers, no no only us PROS can do that. So here's a lovely amateur trailer that has some weird moments and we'll award first place to them and make sure everybody sees how impossible a task my job really is! Because we wouldn't want people to know that

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/642498a0e68a48428ebbef778e1386b8194dcdb58d1493242dc1e63ef20a8d2f.jpg

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So is Vanessa Hudgens doing this every year or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JtwROpSVWc

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

kiimo posted:

I guarantee you there were a bunch of entries that were "good trailers" and they immediately got flushed.

Nobody wants to start the dialogue that anybody can cut trailers, no no only us PROS can do that. So here's a lovely amateur trailer that has some weird moments and we'll award first place to them and make sure everybody sees how impossible a task my job really is! Because we wouldn't want people to know that

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/64/642498a0e68a48428ebbef778e1386b8194dcdb58d1493242dc1e63ef20a8d2f.jpg

I don't know, isn't the hardest part of your job dealing with Marketing assholes? Not everyone can do that and stay sane.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

Looks good, I like.

It does. And now I've seen the whole plot of the movie in sequence, it saves me the price of a ticket.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jedit posted:

It does. And now I've seen the whole plot of the movie in sequence, it saves me the price of a ticket.

drat, I hope you never find out about a thing called Wikipedia. You'll save so much time and money.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What surprises were you expecting from a very simple story first told in 1897.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know, isn't the hardest part of your job dealing with Marketing assholes? Not everyone can do that and stay sane.

Currently the hardest part of my job is the cold war going on in the building I'm in with Disney employees on the second floor and Fox employees on the first floor and they're doing things like no longer stocking coffee in our break rooms and our key cards not working on doors anymore. It's petty as hell.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

Currently the hardest part of my job is the cold war going on in the building I'm in with Disney employees on the second floor and Fox employees on the first floor and they're doing things like no longer stocking coffee in our break rooms and our key cards not working on doors anymore. It's petty as hell.

its sort of nice to know that Disney is even lovely in the smallest possible situations. lovely attitudes from top to bottom

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know a post house that spent tens of thousands on security upgrades that Disney demanded before they handed over the show they wanted them to work on, then took it somewhere else when they got a better rate. Things are kinda bleak out there.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

I know a post house that spent tens of thousands on security upgrades that Disney demanded before they handed over the show they wanted them to work on, then took it somewhere else when they got a better rate. Things are kinda bleak out there.

Lionsgate tried to do that to the post house I was working at, so they got a quote from a local security company and sent it to the studio. They stopped asking for maglocks and FOB readers on every office door after that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

its sort of nice to know that Disney is even lovely in the smallest possible situations. lovely attitudes from top to bottom

Reverse that, it's Murdoch who moved into the building and his army of super rich assholes who are being petty to former Fox now Disney employees.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:geno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqMypXb0gSU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

babby's first After Effects plug-in

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Proteus Jones posted:

Are we finally going to get a legitimately good Lovecraft adaptation? After At the Mountains of Madness was binned I had pretty much given up hope on it ever happening.

Although, I guess I can’t complain too much since there have a been a few good Lovecraft adjacent movies over the years like The Lair of the White Worm, In the Mouth of Madness (I have a special love for this one), and The Void.

The Resurrected is, no lie, a great adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward directed by Dan O'Bannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsEYPZt1Ts

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Resurrected was dope, despite an abrupt ending.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

The whole 'Mandela Effect' concept is so stupid to me. It's not dimensions shifting, it's you not paying attention.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYonTBRM0VI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SolarFire2 posted:

The whole 'Mandela Effect' concept is so stupid to me. It's not dimensions shifting, it's you not paying attention.

while I agree with this in a real-life context, I also think the idea of it is actually... a weirdly good hook for a horror movie?

like, not being able to trust the reality you live in is a pretty basic and deep fear for most people, and any halfway decent filmmaker would be able to get some mileage out of that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick and Morty did it better, at least better than what that movie is showing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can't believe Johnson Mandela has got us again

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SolarFire2 posted:

It's actually ambient racism in the case of the Sinbad and the eponymous Mandela examples.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

while I agree with this in a real-life context, I also think the idea of it is actually... a weirdly good hook for a horror movie?

like, not being able to trust the reality you live in is a pretty basic and deep fear for most people, and any halfway decent filmmaker would be able to get some mileage out of that

not being able to trust the reality u live in is absolutely not a basic fear for most people

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
[guy who just saw from beyond] yeah, brainsucking tentacles sprouting from your forehead after an encounter with the arcane is a normal deep-seated fear most people have

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Except for the fact that silicon valley chuds use 'we're living in a simulation' as an excuse to exert awful fygm capitalist poo poo over the rest of society. It's like some sort of acid-flashback nihilist philosophy that's compatible with zen fascism for people that are more comfortable looking at a command line than a human face.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

not being able to trust the reality u live in is absolutely not a basic fear for most people

Does glancing at a headline in your news feed and not knowing if it's real or The Onion counts?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's a meta joke about this video. This is the second time Erik uploaded it after the first time a couple of years ago, and it's mostly the same but with some subtle changes. In conclusion, Mandela done hit us with his moon laser again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

You're right. It's not dimension shifting, it's a glitchy simulation. If you didn't make it to the end of the trailer, you're in for a treat.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

porfiria posted:

It's actually ambient racism in the case of the Sinbad and the eponymous Mandela examples.

:yeah:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Does glancing at a headline in your news feed and not knowing if it's real or The Onion counts?

yeah but thats comedy not horror

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the x-files mandela effect episode from the last season is the best take on the subject

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I had literally just finished explaining the Mandela Effect to my family when I refreshed the thread and saw this post last night. Make a movie about that phenomenon, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised this movie hasn't been sued by the lady who came up with the term because she has definitely tried to monetize it with books and shirts.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think the Mandela effect got it's name when kids who were perifieraly aware of the news heard about Mandela all the time because he was released from prison and confused it with a world leader dying, and then he later died

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Hot drat, I've been waiting Behn!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

scary ghost dog posted:

the x-files mandela effect episode from the last season is the best take on the subject

Unsurprisingly written by Darin Morgan, whose two episodes are basically the only reason to watch the revival seasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Went to check that he was the one behind the episode with Rhys Darby and Kumail. You’re all good. Sounds like there’s another episode for me to watch too!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

scary ghost dog posted:

[guy who just saw from beyond] yeah, brainsucking tentacles sprouting from your forehead after an encounter with the arcane is a normal deep-seated fear most people have

i think you're sort of underestimating how many people are afraid of going crazy

like think about why all this fake-news poo poo and the idea of a "post-truth" society and etc has people spooked

it's an extremely abstract fear, and a product of the modern world rather than caveman poo poo, but i'm pretty sure being unable to trust your own perception is a thing a very wide swath of people are scared shitless by

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is doing something for me. I think it's the ragtag aesthetic contrasted with such an epic feeling trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really like Pixar, but they really do only have one plot that they keep remastering.