Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1193256433585922048?s=20

It begins :getin:

E: 118 Tory seats on Dec 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This was the poll with the biggest Tory lead. Hoping the rest show a similar closing of the gap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Polls are still astrology but like astrology they're fun when they validate your biases :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1193210834203369472?s=20

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

I'm a man without conviction
I'm a man who doesn't know
How to sell a contradiction
You come and go, you come and go

... huh

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Hello all, resident lurker here.

My band recently recorded a song that I think will fit in well with the thread. It's about Margaret Thatcher; also Marx and the living dead. No Monster Munch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apj5zPTGzNI

Well, back to lurking.

This right here, this is some good loving poo poo. Love your sound and style :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

My band recently recorded a song that I think will fit in well with the thread. It's about Margaret Thatcher; also Marx and the living dead. No Monster Munch.

Well, back to lurking.

+1 for your tritone fiddler.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/goal/status/1193187086767136769?s=19

Jesus wept...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tom_Gann/status/1193096054683639808?s=19

https://twitter.com/Iancoll94354676/status/1192980572462886912?s=19

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 9, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You’d think a band named Stuka sqn would at least wear Luftwaffe regalia

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
ah yes, the old defense "we're imitating the luftwaffe but if our symbols remind you of the third reich it's an accident", but also what a pack of absolute dorks, jesus christ

more like Stupor Squadron if you ask me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too fly my stuka in my trench coat

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

CGI Stardust posted:

ah yes, the old defense "we're imitating the luftwaffe but if our symbols remind you of the third reich it's an accident", but also what a pack of absolute dorks, jesus christ

more like Stupor Squadron if you ask me

The one on the far right (pun not intended) is giving the rest of them a definite "I'm reevaluating my life and choice of friends" look.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soylent Yellow posted:

The one on the far right (pun not intended) is giving the rest of them a definite "I'm reevaluating my life and choice of friends" look.

Hahaha yes I was thinking that too.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I bet Stuka sirens still sound like an opus compared to the poo poo these twats “play”

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1193255268685139969
Thought this was a weird way to make a point about GP numbers, then realised this is a genuine, unedited Tory attack ad that Jezza has lifted wholesale. :getin:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

I'm a man without conviction
I'm a man who doesn't know
How to sell a contradiction
You come and go, you come and go

... huh

you post and lol was right there

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tory home secretary Priti Patel, a.k.a. scum of the earth (but I repeat myself):

quote:

Gypsies and Travellers ‘clampdown’ is less dog whistle, more political fog-horn

It’s election time again. That means hustings, television debates, national spending promises and the all too familiar image of a “tough” government minister announcing a “crackdown” on Gypsies and Travellers. Step up Home Secretary Priti Patel who has promised to change the rules on trespass, a step that would criminalise any encampment of more than two vehicles, potentially resulting in Travellers being arrested and their property seized. The government has opened a consultation on the plans which would strengthen police powers to tackle unauthorised encampments.

There are two key long-held traditions in election campaigns. First, is a round of visits to hospitals, sometimes with the promise of more funding for the National Health Service. Stunts like this have been criticised by senior figures in the NHS who say over-promising for health services, as part of election pledges, is irresponsible. The second tradition is the now predictable election campaign announcements of plans to “tackle” unauthorised Traveller encampments.

One of the most hostile political campaigns against Gypsies and Travellers was run by Michael Howard in 2005, when he vowed to clamp down on unauthorised encampments. This was then taken up by The Sun newspaper in their campaign to “stamp on the camps”. This sort of signalling is sometimes referred to as “dog whistle” politics – using messaging which might not land with everyone, but which speaks to a significant number of people who want to see their politicians “clamping down” and “taking action” against people “not like us”.

In another research project I explored the role that Gypsies and Travellers played in the Brexit referendum campaign. The study involved the analysis of political and media discourse in the run up to the referendum. Again, Gypsies and Travellers were used as a signal to readers and voters that this “other” way of life would not be tolerated. This is now a key part of many political campaigns, favoured particularly by the Conservatives. The messaging is so overt, it is less “dog whistle” (silent to some ears, but loud and clear to others) and more like a political fog-horn.

There are already stringent measures in place that have limited the provision of Gypsy and Traveller sites. For example, a planning policy change in 2015 meant that “nomadism” was a singular defining feature – that there was no such thing as a “retired” Gypsy (someone who no longer travelled for work because they were too old or too ill). There are also increasing numbers of councils using injunction powers to prevent unauthorised encampments on top of existing powers already in the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act (1994) – the law which Patel seeks to toughen up.

Surprised I didn't hear more about this, but I guess sadly nobody cares very much about travellers wellbeing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love too accuse jeremy corbyn of being a nazi while rounding up the roma.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Soylent Yellow posted:

leftmost has eaten too much spicy food and is trying to stop hiccuping for long enough to take a photo

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Lmao that is NOT an easy job to get.

I'm in awe at not just the power of peak lib dem, but peak swiss lib dem.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
apropos not very much other than a reply to that ash sarkar saying the lib dem hasn't thought about how Brexit would effect people's ability to work in Europe, and the fact it just popped into my head:

my company buys almost everything we sell from Switzerland and I've heard multiple senior managers say "oh Brexit shouldn't affect us too much because Switzerland isn't in the EU" :psyduck:

the fact that people who are supposedly responsible for organising international business aren't aware that our trade relationship with Switzerland is based on EU membership, and that under the current deal/no deal we'd be out of the single market does not bode well imho

also all our stuff currently comes by road and we already have issues with customs occasionally

also also most of the rest of the stuff we buy does actually come from the EU and the rest is presumably covered by EU trade deals

also also also we actually operate in ireland too and the northern Irish stuff is all handled by an office in the Republic

all this is just some of the stuff that might directly affect us, completely ignoring the fact all our customers would be hosed in various ways so they won't be buying stuff as much

I'd hope massive companies arent quite as clueless but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of smallish ones like ours are similarly oblivious

fortunately we definitely don't supply things to all sorts of industries and I definitely don't constantly get people complaining that some minor thing we've done/not done is holding up production or whatever ;)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TomJHarper/status/1193279348851314688
Quelle loving Surprise.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Gypsies and travellers seem to be the last ethnic group that racism towards is... accepted? by the general public. Even amongst some of my friends, progressive as they are, they can say some pretty virulent stuff about them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1193101273681334272?s=19

No link, no follow up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah did someone leak it then?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

the tweet-news-stories bot is gaining sentience and beginning to philosophise

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CptAwesome posted:

Gypsies and travellers seem to be the last ethnic group that racism towards is... accepted? by the general public. Even amongst some of my friends, progressive as they are, they can say some pretty virulent stuff about them.

It makes sense if you think of right wing racism having a class component.

Rich racists are antisemitic but usually in a way that treats the antisemitic tropes as positives. Think of Donald Trump only renting to whites and Jews because " Jews have money" or how he didn't want any black people to work in his accounting departments, only Jews.

Roma encapsulate the underclass in much the same way. The stereotypes of the Roma are those that wealth and the press hate anyway, so they see no problem in demonising them or even dropping all pretence of being against racism to go after them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Email just received from Labour HQ:

(He has been Labour MP for East Ham for over 20 years. Probably shouldn't be signing himself as 'MP' just now, but nevermind!)

If he's not an MP on the 13th we're all hosed, so it's probably OK - dude has one of the safest seats in the country, with something like a 40k majority, which is pretty impressive for an overtly Christian MP in a very Muslim area of London.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/davidwalliams/status/1193191504216567808?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tag yourself I'm the bunch of medals glorifying war right next to the poppy supposed to honor the fallen in senseless war

EDIT: oh wait is that Prince Pederast? lol what's those medals for, noncing?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
um, is that

ed: it is. hm.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Haha, I never watched Little Britain but the man can tell a good joke

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
remember in the eighties when we had a movement of alternative comedians because all the popular established ones were really poo poo?

can we do that again

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Phoebe Waller-Bridge: not funny

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Well, back to lurking.

Could we maybe play this at the end of the next podcast? This loving rules.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If he's not an MP on the 13th we're all hosed, so it's probably OK - dude has one of the safest seats in the country, with something like a 40k majority, which is pretty impressive for an overtly Christian MP in a very Muslim area of London.

Just a technicality. Right now there are NO MPs.

Festival of Remembrance this evening - seeing comments on twitter that Jezza not there - any of you know where he was?
Ed: I see he was in Doncaster and Yorkshire. Gammons going bananas.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 9, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mr Phillby posted:

remember in the eighties when we had a movement of alternative comedians because all the popular established ones were really poo poo?

can we do that again

I'd really like to see an actual analysis of why of all the vaguely public figures in the UK that particular brand of early-noughties comedian seems particularly susceptible to brain-worm infection.

Chuka Umana posted:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge: not funny

She's alright but you have to go into it accepting that she's a very posh lady and her comedy reflects that. Fleabag had some great moments but lol at her cliche highly strung 'successful' sister randomly discussing her multi-million pound bonus as if that's a normal thing people do while she owns a trendy upmarket coffee shop and is extremely comfortable but this is somehow depicted as failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pochoclo posted:

Tag yourself I'm the bunch of medals glorifying war right next to the poppy supposed to honor the fallen in senseless war

EDIT: oh wait is that Prince Pederast? lol what's those medals for, noncing?

Some of those medals are for services to the queen lol

E: maybe I'm thinking of something else