Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah something needs to be tweaked, hopefully just a single setting telling it to play original and that’ll fix it all. I can deal with audio transcoding locally, but unless it’s some weird video format that I’ve ended up with on some rare old file I don’t want it touching anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/10/24/20930560/nvidia-leaked-shield-tv-pro-boxes-on-sale-early-best-buy

I literally was in a best buy yesterday buying the new roku ultra to solve my problems with plex on tivo going even further downhill. :mad: I would have bought both.

Stupid thing still transcoded a 15mbps hevc 4k/hdr stream to h264/12mbps out of the box. I had to go tell it to do the native one manually. I hate technology. I haven't done any troubleshooting but this thing is going to right back to best buy if it won't work correctly. I assume it's some dumb "it thinks plex is remote" thing.

Have you tried a Firestick 4k? I know it's not as favourable here as the Roku is but I switched a few family members off Rokus and onto Firesticks, they all direct play virtually every file now. The Shield is still the best overall but asking them all to dish out $200 is a hard ask.

The few files on the Firestick I couldn't get to direct play or direct stream from its native Plex app all work perfectly on the Plex app within Kodi on the Firestick and there's a setting within Plex on Kodi where it immediately boots from Kodi directly into the Plex app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I right in thinking that the desktop app now allows sync? I never use it but a friend is going somewhere and wanted to know if it was possible to save stuff off my server. I told them to get a one month plex pass and the phone app, but I’m sure I heard sync has expanded beyond that now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I right in thinking that the desktop app now allows sync? I never use it but a friend is going somewhere and wanted to know if it was possible to save stuff off my server. I told them to get a one month plex pass and the phone app, but I’m sure I heard sync has expanded beyond that now.

Yes the desktop app on Windows at least you can download now. I've never used it but it's there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool I’ll let him know that, thanks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FWIW it works well, but you can't choose it as a sync destination like you can with mobile, or convert.
You have to open the new plex desktop app, then choose download.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Latest update to PMS for Synology doesn't download posters for TV episodes. How do I fix it?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think that may be an issue with TVDB right now. It was down last night and this morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always assume it’s a TVDB issue.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just got the first 100mbps+ movie I've ever seen in the wild- Universal Soldier, at 100.2 mbps. Are there any other movies in the 100 megabit club?

The closest I've come to that bitrate until now is the original cartoon version of Ghost in the Shell which is something like 90-92 mbps.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 10, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would imagine so, it probably peaked at 100mbit for a short time as it’s only a 55gb or so file. Was fun watching it again the other night, it’s a wonderfully bonkers film.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1194298167824650240?s=19

This is exactly why I hoard hard drives and Plex baby

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

literally an app, the decision to not just default zoom locally but let you turn it off is bizarre.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Qwijib0 posted:

literally an app, the decision to not just default zoom locally but let you turn it off is bizarre.

It feels like this bullshit has gone for so much longer than the old ‘DVDs being cropped for full screen TVs’ did. I guess the flow of widescreen TVs getting popular not long after helped. So now I guess we need high def full frame monitors to be the new big thing for the home to finally get them to release poo poo that looks correct.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Boomer Vision

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the HD masters of Seinfeld were butchered for TBS, Amazon, and Hulu, but were completely fixed for Crackle, and I can only unearth seasons 3 and 4 of the Crackle version anywhere. And since the show is no longer on Crackle we're basically screwed on ever getting the proper HD releases for seasons 1,2,5,6,7,8, and 9.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 13, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can find s1-4 of the Crackle rips but no further. I guess they never got around to them or they’re just really badly distributed.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Apparently the HD masters of Seinfeld were butchered for TBS, Amazon, and Hulu, but were completely fixed for Crackle, and I can only unearth seasons 3 and 4 of the Crackle version anywhere. And since the show is no longer on Crackle we're basically screwed on ever getting the proper HD releases for seasons 1,2,5,6,7,8, and 9.

Yeah? I've been watching Seinfeld on Hulu off and on and it looks good to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn’t the hulu version 16:9? The source AR is chopped to get to that. Sliced on top and bottom and extended a little on the left and right. It’s not like Friends where the source material had a ton of extra width allowing them to fit the frame nicely.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can find s1-4 of the Crackle rips but no further. I guess they never got around to them or they’re just really badly distributed.

May I ask where? I'd PM you but you don't have PMs :shobon:

(you can give it in some sort of cryptic response if it makes it more kosher)

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah? I've been watching Seinfeld on Hulu off and on and it looks good to me.

TBS is the worst one because those episodes are also sped up (so they can fit in more commercials).

You are missing a decent amount of info on the bottom of the image on the Hulu rips. This isn't an oddball scenario like the full-frame version of Terminator 3 having more info than the widescreen one, it's a situation where they zoomed in on the film masters to make them 16:9. So they do LOOK great because film zoomed in still looks awesome, but you're missing a decent chunk of info on the bottom of the image.

Here's a quick and dirty example I am able to show for you:

Hulu/TBS/Amazon version on the left; DVD version on the right (and the Crackle 1080p version would look this way as well)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was on the big TV tracker that’s a massive pain in the butt to get on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

May I ask where? I'd PM you but you don't have PMs :shobon:

(you can give it in some sort of cryptic response if it makes it more kosher)

TBS is the worst one because those episodes are also sped up (so they can fit in more commercials).

You are missing a decent amount of info on the bottom of the image on the Hulu rips. This isn't an oddball scenario like the full-frame version of Terminator 3 having more info than the widescreen one, it's a situation where they zoomed in on the film masters to make them 16:9. So they do LOOK great because film zoomed in still looks awesome, but you're missing a decent chunk of info on the bottom of the image.

Here's a quick and dirty example I am able to show for you:

Hulu/TBS/Amazon version on the left; DVD version on the right (and the Crackle 1080p version would look this way as well)

16:9 Seinfeld is pretty watchable since while they do crop information it's usually done carefully. Since 32mm film is 3:2 there's additional information on the sides that get opened up with the 16:9 re-framing too which reduces the amount they have to crop vertically. Ideally streaming services would just include both, it's kind of stupid that they don't provide that choice already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Streaming Simpsons does the same thing and it cuts out actual sight gags and looks atrocious.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SCheeseman posted:

16:9 Seinfeld is pretty watchable since while they do crop information it's usually done carefully. Since 32mm film is 3:2 there's additional information on the sides that get opened up with the 16:9 re-framing too which reduces the amount they have to crop vertically. Ideally streaming services would just include both, it's kind of stupid that they don't provide that choice already.

If they did selective cropping (instead of just zooming in randomly) then yeah that's not so bad. Still sucks no one bothered to capture seasons 5-9 from Crackle though. I get very OCD with stuff being "lost forever".

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Sigh, there isn't a low-profile single slot card that's both decent at gaming & does hardware encoding, is there? At least not at a ridiculous price? I have a GT 1030 but it doesn't hardware encode, and it looks like the only affordable encoding capable card is the R7 250 :qq: My HTPC is a solid little 720p gaming rig right now.

edit: Looks like the P620 is the only "reasonably" affordable card that can do both, but it's $175ish...

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 13, 2019

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Were the fixed Crackle versions 16:9 or 4:3?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anybody wanna share Plex libraries? Request me at corbetgriffith@gmail.com.

35 TB server with 1 Gbps fiber.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Gay Retard posted:

Anybody wanna share Plex libraries? Request me at corbetgriffith@gmail.com.

35 TB server with 1 Gbps fiber.

I will email you later. May also ask about your storage setup

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OldSenileGuy posted:

4:3, and seemingly the only place that had it.

I looked deeper into those rips, and I'm pretty certain that Chumbawumba is right in that s5 onwards don't exist, as they were done by a member of the site I'm looking at. I found a thread where it seems there became an issue in grabbing the source, and the episode they linked to appears to be one from s5 doing some googling.

quote:

ffmpeg -i "HYPERLINK "http://content.uplynk.com/ext/6790c94a453741799d3f3fb3bc9023a4/2483799.m3u8" -c copy s03e01.ts

A little over 5000 {referring to bitrate}

I have ripped 97 episodes so far by just changing the last 3 digits but I have run out of numbers. However 2483592 does not correspond with a .m3u8 link like every other one even though it is currently available on the website (http://www.crackle.com/seinfeld/2483592). I am hoping to get a new lead on a set of numbers so I can try more links and to get that episode because I don't have it yet

Then time ran out.

quote:

only 9 days left, anybody know how to capture the .m3u8 from crackle on an appletv

Some progress was made, but they could only extract episodes at half the bitrate of the previous ones and it doesn't look like they were released.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

OldSenileGuy posted:

4:3

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just making sure you saw my post above as it has some more info on those Crackle rips, and it looks like we posted about the same time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Simpsons has a ton of sight gags that depend on the near-extremities of the frame - the Duff thing, sign gags, etc - that make the AR fuckery a do-not-watch. Seinfeld...ehh I'm not happy about it but whatever. It's not a big enough deal to fall back to DVD rips IMO. I can't think of anything the crop ruins.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

The Simpsons has a ton of sight gags that depend on the near-extremities of the frame - the Duff thing, sign gags, etc - that make the AR fuckery a do-not-watch. Seinfeld...ehh I'm not happy about it but whatever. It's not a big enough deal to fall back to DVD rips IMO. I can't think of anything the crop ruins.

I feel the same, I've got the Hulu versions of Seinfeld. Also at this point I've watched each episode enough that I'm mostly just listening to the episodes.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

TheScott2K posted:

I watched the entire Seinfeld series in HD. I think most of it was from TBS but I don't really know. For the most part it was totally fine and the PQ improvements were worth it to me. Simpsons though, hell no.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just making sure you saw my post above as it has some more info on those Crackle rips, and it looks like we posted about the same time.

Oh man I didn't see that, thanks so much. That's a shame though. Does that site have anything else that's not on usenet or public torrent sites?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh man I didn't see that, thanks so much. That's a shame though. Does that site have anything else that's not on usenet or public torrent sites?

It does have a big archive, and there's a lot of stuff that goes out with their own name attached but you see most of it trickle down. I have Sonarr attached to it but I tell it ignore any new uploads for 24 hours as it's likely that the usenet feed will see the same things soon. I can't even remember how I got on, but I'm a member in decent standing and am nowhere near able to invite people even, it's incredibly closed shop.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

It does have a big archive, and there's a lot of stuff that goes out with their own name attached but you see most of it trickle down. I have Sonarr attached to it but I tell it ignore any new uploads for 24 hours as it's likely that the usenet feed will see the same things soon. I can't even remember how I got on, but I'm a member in decent standing and am nowhere near able to invite people even, it's incredibly closed shop.

Thanks man. They don't even allow friggin crypto donations to get in?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guess who spent today curating a 100 entry long playlist just to find out they don’t get shared to other users.

Now to turn it into a collection I guess, which I then can’t do any kind of custom ordering in.

Some of the implementations in this software baffle me at times I must say.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Guess who spent today curating a 100 entry long playlist just to find out they don’t get shared to other users.

Now to turn it into a collection I guess, which I then can’t do any kind of custom ordering in.

Some of the implementations in this software baffle me at times I must say.

Plex WebTools will let you copy playlists between users, download them, or import new ones.

https://github.com/ukdtom/WebTools.bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does that still work? I saw mention of it but with the plugins being murked I presumed it was a dead end. I’m pretty sure I installed them at one point so will give it a go. Thanks!

e: sweet, my install was still there it just needed updating from v2.4 to latest, then the playlist options appeared. I take it if I update this I'll have to copy it to all the users again? No big deal as in most cases Collections replaced playlists for me anyway. Shame there's no option to send a playlist to all users, or replace an existing one if there (I pressed copy twice, and it made 2 entries) but I'll take it. Thanks again.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 20, 2019