Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
i shouldn't be this excited about a new minecraft-but-with-zombies map. the moment cannot come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
I had two game changing revelations today.

I noticed the new resource boulders show up on the map as different colored squares. Potassium is white, lead is light grey, iron is dark grey, coal is black. Which makes finding mining sites so much easier than going out and actually looking for them.

Secondly I'd overlooked/forgotten you can smelt dukes to brass 1:1 now. Which means buying anything brass from a trader is a straight up waste of dukes.

Speaking of dukes, I'm glad they nerfed the economy to a degree. I mean in A16-17 it was trivial to set up production to earn enough cash to buy out all the ammo from every trader every three days forever. BUT, I swear the price of solar panels went up this patch. Anyone have any hot tips on what to craft to sell? I've been alternating between selling stacks of forged steel, and going on 'wrenching day' in the wasteland for car parts.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I plan to eat a lot of glass to build up death count to lower my gamestage since I am such a casual gamer. :gibs:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wow, mining iron now yields iron.
What will they think of nex!?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

changelog posted:

Mechanical parts and springs are not craftable
WHY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Welp, time to max out Salvage and leave no car unturned I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PMush Perfect posted:

Welp, time to max out Salvage and leave no car unturned I guess.
Yeah that sounds like an arbitrary and un-needed change. I am completely baffled.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
There needs to be things that aren't craftable so people have to go out of their cave. (while they sit in their basement)

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Yeah, a single trip with a level 1 wrench and no salvage points will yield tons of springs and mechanical parts from cars. Hell, just do a POI, and wrench the beds, stoves, and appliances. This isn’t as nearly big a deal as the inability to forge beakers in A17, which were crazy rare.

Springs I just melt down now for scrap, since they give 10 iron and stack well. Or you can scrap em for 7 iron with no inventory carrying cost (except your massive iron pile)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

There needs to be things that aren't craftable so people have to go out of their cave. (while they sit in their basement)
I do not disagree with you but the arbitrary limitations they are setting are stupid. If you can craft a steel rod you can craft a spring. I just think it is really odd.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
The seed gen "Somethingawful goons" created a map with most of the cities clumped in the west, so I tried "1234567" and it created one with decently distributed, dense cities.

Still on track here to flip the switch in the early evening.

PowderKeg fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 8, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can the OP be updated with accurate server info?

For some reason it won't let me save to favorites.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

PowderKeg posted:

The seed gen "Somethingawful goons" created a map with most of the cities clumped in the west, so I tried "1234567" and it created one with decently distributed, dense cities.

Still on track here to flip the switch in the early evening.

Is there a discord for the server? Also: what time is the reset scheduled?

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

Is there a discord for the server? Also: what time is the reset scheduled?

Hoping to have it done by 630 EST at the absolute latest, but probably a bit earlier.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Got it done a little early, looks like we're good to go..

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nice, I’ll hop on around 9:30 ET

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sure, a new world? I could go for that after the day I had.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Any of you guys tried using the new Spear/Javelin much? I dropped a few points into it and have used it a lot but never get dismemberments with melee and throwing them seems ineffective at best. Do I just need more skill points? I'm only level 10 but I find myself defaulting to the bow and arrow despite having no skills for it.

Somewhat related to the above, despite being able to run a resource hog like Warhammer Total war II on high settings with max unit sizes, I am running 7d2d on absolute minimum settings and I am still running into a pretty annoying stuttering problem, and having Draw Distance so low means I can see through some obstacles until I am right on top of them, which really sucks. Anyone have any advice on how to optimize my graphics settings?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really like spears. I rarely use them as javelins, and am too lazy to use anything but guns in ranged (didn't take much stealth this time) but head stabs are fun.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Spears are great for the range (3 to 4 blocks) and throwing them is really strong, 3ish throws can kill a normal walker or really soften up a tougher zombie. Just be careful not to hurl the thing down a cliff or behind a horde.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Somewhat related to the above, despite being able to run a resource hog like Warhammer Total war II on high settings with max unit sizes, I am running 7d2d on absolute minimum settings and I am still running into a pretty annoying stuttering problem, and having Draw Distance so low means I can see through some obstacles until I am right on top of them, which really sucks. Anyone have any advice on how to optimize my graphics settings?

Have you tried turning off anisotropic filtering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qqgKvAXklc

I have am amd card so I have to use gfx af 0 in the console to turn that off but hey try it, it might help.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
I've got a frankenstein parts PC so I'm using all the tricks (disable af from control panel, gfx pp enable 0, mostly lowest settings) to get acceptable framerates, but sometimes the game just starts to lag like hell. It just suddenly goes from 60-70fps to around 5fps, and restarting is the fastest way to fix that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That Guy Bob posted:

Have you tried turning off anisotropic filtering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qqgKvAXklc

I have am amd card so I have to use gfx af 0 in the console to turn that off but hey try it, it might help.
This has helped tremendously, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did they change how you craft specialty flagstone blocks in A18? I can craft basic flagstone blocks but I cannot do any ramps, stairs, or anything else.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Did they change how you craft specialty flagstone blocks in A18? I can craft basic flagstone blocks but I cannot do any ramps, stairs, or anything else.

You can hold R (default) to get the option to change the shape for the basic building blocks (wood, flagstone, concrete).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Maguoob posted:

You can hold R (default) to get the option to change the shape for the basic building blocks (wood, flagstone, concrete).
Oh shoot, yeah, now that you said that I remember that I saw that in a dev video or something but had completely forgotten. Thank you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maguoob posted:

You can also do this to get different kinds of fences. It's very convenient, and makes the table saw kind of redundant.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

You can also do this to get different kinds of fences. It's very convenient, and makes the table saw kind of redundant.

I don't think it makes the table saw redundant. You still need it for many advanced designs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You need it for arrow slits, so for that alone its still important.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Carcer posted:

You need it for arrow slits, so for that alone its still important.
Not for stone arrow slits, thankfully.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The blocks that have different modifiable shapes have a special icon in the upper left corner of the inventory icon.

Even things like the wood fences are 10 blocks in one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

is a server or game setting, or did A18 change when Ferals can spawn? Its day 3 and I have run into a good half dozen so far and dealing with them is a pain when sub level 10 while wearing Plant Fibre bullcrap and using tier 1 wooden/stone weapons.

esquilax posted:

The blocks that have different modifiable shapes have a special icon in the upper left corner of the inventory icon.

Even things like the wood fences are 10 blocks in one.
Yeah now that I know to look for it, it is pretty nice.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

is a server or game setting, or did A18 change when Ferals can spawn? Its day 3 and I have run into a good half dozen so far and dealing with them is a pain when sub level 10 while wearing Plant Fibre bullcrap and using tier 1 wooden/stone weapons.

This. Was running to base when night came, and three ferals rearranged my insides soon after. Getting my backback back in the night before it despawns was a shitshow..

[edit]

PowderKeg posted:

I'll max the zombie count based on the note in the config file: <!-- Making this number too large (more than about 80) may cause servers to run at poor framerates which will effect lag and play quality for clients. -->
More zombies, more chances for ferals to pop-up?

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 11, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JointHorse posted:

This. Was running to base when night came, and three ferals rearranged my insides soon after. Getting my backback back in the night before it despawns was a shitshow..

Keep in mind zombies always run at night.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3In77g128k

I captured this the other night. Do boomer zombies routinely do this because it's the first time i've ever seen their heads pop off like a bottle rocket.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

buglord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3In77g128k

I captured this the other night. Do boomer zombies routinely do this because it's the first time i've ever seen their heads pop off like a bottle rocket.

Yeah usually when cop zombies explode the head goes flying upward.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How does anyone run out of ammo in this game?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
When you are trap in a big building and tough zombie keep respawing in groups of 8.

I wish we can raise skill up to lv10 to keep up with the huge increment of zombie’s hp.

PS: Glass suicices doesn’t lowers gamestage or noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Honestly I mostly stick to my bat for killing most zombies. Even small groups (2-4) are doable since I just power attack their legs and leave them knocked down and or limping while I bash another Zed. Parkour, even level 3, is great for letting me use terrain to keep distance and disengage/reengage at my leisure.

The only time the broomstick comes out is large groups, multiple ferals, bad/tight terrain, or Rad Zombies (who seem to be resistant to knockdown).

Has anyone tried shotgun slugs? I’ve definitely noticed my shotgun struggles with armored military zombies and the demos, but the handful of Slugs I bought/looted didn’t seem to do much better (I still lack the ability to make
My own cause Shotgun Messiah books apparently don’t exist for me).

I haven’t yet given one of the big PoI factories/skyscrapers a go yet, maybe I’ll do that today.