Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Camrath posted:

This right here, this is some good loving poo poo. Love your sound and style :)

Rarity posted:

Nice song and :justpost: imo

OwlFancier posted:

+1 for your tritone fiddler.

Venomous posted:

Could we maybe play this at the end of the next podcast? This loving rules.

Thank you friends :) We've got some other tracks on the boil at the moment so when I eventually finish mixing them I'll let you know.

Please feel free to use them for podcasts and whatnot*, just credit Invincible Pigs and https://pigspigspigs.com :)

*Waiting to hear back from Tory party conference's media team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

ThomasPaine posted:

She's alright but you have to go into it accepting that she's a very posh lady and her comedy reflects that. Fleabag had some great moments but lol at her cliche highly strung 'successful' sister randomly discussing her multi-million pound bonus as if that's a normal thing people do while she owns a trendy upmarket coffee shop and is extremely comfortable but this is somehow depicted as failure.

Who the gently caress wants to watch posh Brits outside of upper middle class Americans?

Also I loved the episode where her sister is complaining that she can be funny and make jokes to her boss and she doesn't need Fleabag to do it for her I'm like drat you rich people really have to pick at straws to find things to complain about.

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 9, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

remember in the eighties when we had a movement of alternative comedians because all the popular established ones were really poo poo?

can we do that again

They're out there, they're great, they're not on (terrestrial) TV.

Better would be a world where people like Walliams, Mcintyre etc's opinions were considered too alternative for mainstream TV.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1193294116177756166?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Chuka Umana posted:

Who the gently caress wants to watch posh Brits outside of upper middle class Americans?

Also I loved the episode where her sister is complaining that she can be funny and make jokes to her boss and she doesn't need Fleabag to do it for her I'm like drat you rich people really have to pick at straws to find things to complain about.

yeah I mean half of the reason I liked it was that the comedy was so out of touch it seemed almost intentional (though I know it wasn't).

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Frasier is a better comedy for laughing at poshos

Fleabag is good though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blunt posted:

They're out there, they're great, they're not on (terrestrial) TV.

Better would be a world where people like Walliams, Mcintyre etc's opinions were considered too alternative for mainstream TV.

This is why I listen to lots of comedy podcasts these days rather than watch it on TV or listen to radio shows

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The last few times people have gone on at me about how [X] is great, you've got to watch [X], it's absolutely brilliant and right up your street, you'll love it, watch [X] watch [X] you don't want to be left out do you loving watch [X] you pleb, I've been sorely disappointed when I eventually did.

Fleabag is an [X] I have yet to watch.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Thank you friends :) We've got some other tracks on the boil at the moment so when I eventually finish mixing them I'll let you know.

Please feel free to use them for podcasts and whatnot*, just credit Invincible Pigs and https://pigspigspigs.com :)

*Waiting to hear back from Tory party conference's media team.
I just listened to it and enjoyed it :) but I think the current crop of Tories have recurring nightmares about pigs that bite.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd really like to see an actual analysis of why of all the vaguely public figures in the UK that particular brand of early-noughties comedian seems particularly susceptible to brain-worm infection.
The end of history innit.

Like 80s radical comedians were either outright racists or outright Marxists or anarchists and there didn't seem to be much middle of the road between that although maybe I'm forgetting some. I do definitely remember Alexei Sayle's lot.

But what's 'political' in the early 00s? The hard left lost, the hard right lost, and there was no impending domestic crisis that people wanted to talk about, other than the kids are wearing hoods now, so the fight was mostly on idpol and Iraq War bad and "I'm a right wing comedian, terrorists allah ackbar amirite" "I'm a left wing comedian georg bush nucular amirite" and both lots of them did alright out of Blairism. There was never much need to actually think about things far outside of the middle ground.

Plus (and I think this is the main thing) they made a ton of cash out of Blairist economics and appealing to the middle ground, so why didn't you?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1193281006222168065?s=20

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Fleabag is written for guardian writers and guardian columns are written for fleabag viewers

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

She's alright but you have to go into it accepting that she's a very posh lady and her comedy reflects that. Fleabag had some great moments but lol at her cliche highly strung 'successful' sister randomly discussing her multi-million pound bonus as if that's a normal thing people do while she owns a trendy upmarket coffee shop and is extremely comfortable but this is somehow depicted as failure.

Yeah I watched Fleabag and it was just hard to take her problems seriously.

Plus the Fleabag/'Hot Priest' dynamic that everybody fawned over made my skin crawl. He's in a position of authority, she's clearly vulnerable and in a bad place, and when she breaks down crying to him about her emotional problems he uses the opportunity to have sex with her. It's loving creepy, and so was the deluge of articles talking about how sexy it was.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just lol that wickham posted that story and it got through editing and nobody questioned firstly whether there was any corroborating evidence but also how bad sitting on it for 2 years is

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

But what's 'political' in the early 00s? The hard left lost, the hard right lost, and there was no impending domestic crisis that people wanted to talk about, other than the kids are wearing hoods now, so the fight was mostly on idpol and Iraq War bad and "I'm a right wing comedian, terrorists allah ackbar amirite" "I'm a left wing comedian georg bush nucular amirite" and both lots of them did alright out of Blairism. There was never much need to actually think about things far outside of the middle ground.

I think this is largely the reason that a lot of comedy in this (and the tail end of last) decade has moved from observational to confessional. Political comedy made a little bit of a comeback for a while with Trump and Brexit but unless you've got an exceptionally different and clever take people don't want to hear it because their entire day is already consumed with Brexit/Trump.

Maybe the massive increase in news media killed political comedy? Idk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Tag yourself I'm the bunch of medals glorifying war right next to the poppy supposed to honor the fallen in senseless war

EDIT: oh wait is that Prince Pederast? lol what's those medals for, noncing?

Eh, he did serve in the RN as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands, and volunteered for decoy work for Exocets and did medevac work under fire. He probably at least legitimately earned at least some of those gongs.

e: lolnope apparently the majority of those medals are honorary ones from Commonwealth countries, the only medals he got from his naval service were the standard "turned up with his clothes on the right way round at least half the time" ones they give to anyone who manages not to fall overboard or drink themselves to death for a few years.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 10, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

Yeah I watched Fleabag and it was just hard to take her problems seriously.

Plus the Fleabag/'Hot Priest' dynamic that everybody fawned over made my skin crawl. He's in a position of authority, she's clearly vulnerable and in a bad place, and when she breaks down crying to him about her emotional problems he uses the opportunity to have sex with her. It's loving creepy, and so was the deluge of articles talking about how sexy it was.

To be fair plenty of the people I follow on twitter etc were very vocal about how creepy the guy was and how he was essentially an abusive predator. I don't think that's what they were going for per se but it definitely came across that way.

Guavanaut posted:

The end of history innit.

Like 80s radical comedians were either outright racists or outright Marxists or anarchists and there didn't seem to be much middle of the road between that although maybe I'm forgetting some. I do definitely remember Alexei Sayle's lot.

Plus (and I think this is the main thing) they made a ton of cash out of Blairist economics and appealing to the middle ground, so why didn't you?

Yeah I mean you're right. I'm just mad because this whole thing has ruined Peep Show (one of the greatest British comedies) for me because Robert Webb is terminally brainspidered.* Tbh if you look at Jez in that light it seems an awful lot more mean-spirited than it did at the time :(

* David Mitchell is by contrast studiously quiet about his politics which is interesting. Please don't let him be ruined too (or Vicky Coren, who I have the most ridiculous schoolboy crush on).

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 10, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

'Hot Priest'
I like his shiny hair (I didn't watch Fleabag, it just made me think of the actually funny Hot Priest moment from recent comedy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_7PoX11FEc

blunt posted:

Maybe the massive increase in news media killed political comedy? Idk.
Maybe so. And the fact that it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe so. And the fact that it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Yeah, was talking to a couple of mates about the Spitting Image reboot and the consensus was that satire only works against those with a pretence of dignity and shame. You can't embarrass Johnson or Farage, that's sort of their whole schtick.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Eh, he did serve in the RN as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands, and volunteered for decoy work for Exocets and did medevac work under fire. He probably at least legitimately earned at least some of those gongs.

e: lol apparently the majority of those medals are honorary ones from Commonwealth countries, the only medals he got from his naval service were the standard "turned up with his clothes on the right way round at least half the time" ones they give to anyone who manages not to fall overboard or drink themselves to death for a few years.

Oh phew, and here I was thinking, the fool I am, that it was incredibly obscene for him to be flaunting those shiny metal bits when thousands of innocents die in wars every day and wounded veterans with PTSD get thrown under the bus as thanks for sending them to murder other humans

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

Oh phew, and here I was thinking, the fool I am, that it was incredibly obscene for him to be flaunting those shiny metal bits when thousands of innocents die in wars every day and wounded veterans with PTSD get thrown under the bus as thanks for sending them to murder other humans

That was the point of my edit though, those medals are almost all for the valiant job of coming out of a royal uterus, so they're at least not glorifying war.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joe.co.uk doing good work here (also thanks to a quick attempt to search for this on twitter, i find out joe apparently also stands for Jerk Off Encouragement and now my sexual orientation is dirty northern girls)

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1190300848309624834?s=19

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jose posted:

just lol that wickham posted that story and it got through editing and nobody questioned firstly whether there was any corroborating evidence but also how bad sitting on it for 2 years is

Buzz. Feed. I know 'comedy' websites, podcasts and TV shows seem to be the default channel for news these days but still ... Buzz. Feed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/09/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-iopc-delay-announcement-investigation

Graundiad posted:

The scandal over Boris Johnson’s friendship with technology entrepreneur Jennifer Arcuri was reignited on Saturday after the Observer revealed that the independent police watchdog has delayed its announcement on whether the PM should face an investigation into possible criminal misconduct until after the election.

The decision prompted fury from Westminster politicians and London assembly members who said it appeared that a ruling had been “suppressed” in order to protect Johnson from potentially damaging headlines at a crucial stage of the election campaign.

So, the DePfeffel has managed to suppress both the dodgy russian dealing report AND the IOPC investigation into him until after the general election. Nice.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Satire is a bourgeois construct that benefits the status quo and doesn't lead to any meaningful political change. People read anything they want into satire, hence why Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney sketch was taken as something to aspire to and not as, you know, a sketch making fun of Thatcherite prosperity gospel bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

this is, of course, why The Thick Of It has aged so poorly as satire, because it's pretty much exactly what Whitehall's like irl, and it's not making fun of it and challenging the institutions behind the government so much as it's creating and reinforcing preconceived notions of What The UK Government Is Like

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Joe.co.uk doing good work here (also thanks to a quick attempt to search for this on twitter, i find out joe apparently also stands for Jerk Off Encouragement and now my sexual orientation is dirty northern girls)

This feels like political jerk off encouragement

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1189531798902054912

I came

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't... skunk by definition not high grade..?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't... skunk by definition not high grade..?
Skunk is the name that they made up to make boomers think that the marijuanas nowdays are higher percentage THC than the 'safe' weed they smoked in the 60s and 70s and therefore should be extra illegal and never consider cannabis reform.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

JOE's best (so far) imho is still
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2EjAfVAcw

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yesss tear jerkoff oval office mogg a new one stormzy

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-grenfell-tower-fire-common-sense-kensington-a9185501.html

What a shameless animal, I hope he finds out his Hugo boss nazi apparel is highly flammable and forgets how to do the most basic thing and drop and roll, self immolating on national television. Absolute loving detritus.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 10, 2019

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Bobby Deluxe posted:

tbh, it's usually joi or jerk off instruction

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Skunk is the name that they made up to make boomers think that the marijuanas nowdays are higher percentage THC than the 'safe' weed they smoked in the 60s and 70s and therefore should be extra illegal and never consider cannabis reform.

I thought it was like, poo poo grade weed or something. Like the smashed bits of bran flakes at the bottom of the box. Shows how much drugs I do.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was like, poo poo grade weed or something. Like the smashed bits of bran flakes at the bottom of the box. Shows how much drugs I do.

I've bought weed 1 whole time in my life and while I enjoyed it that time it's 100% not worth the price. Happy to have some if it's offered though.

Also it's bad because it makes my partner just extremely chill and relaxed and lazy but it makes me ridiculously horny so it's not a great combo tbqh

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

tbh, it's usually joi or jerk off instruction
I know how, i just need help with why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's ditch weed, or soapbar for the pressed hash made of anything but real cannabis.

Skunk is the preserve of the Daily Mail, and makes Black lads do knife crime in hoodies, unlike the safe 70s Acapulco strains smoked by white Brits with bad facial hair, and has 30 to 40 times the amount of THC as the original 7% THC weed beloved by hippies, giving it the unusual property of containing 280g of THC in only 100g of weed. This non-euclidean mathematics causes psychosis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I also was under the impression that JoI was when someone tells you how to wank while JoE is when someone just tells you that you should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That's ditch weed, or soapbar for the pressed hash made of anything but real cannabis.

Skunk is the preserve of the Daily Mail, and makes Black lads do knife crime in hoodies, unlike the safe 70s Acapulco strains smoked by white Brits with bad facial hair, and has 30 to 40 times the amount of THC as the original 7% THC weed beloved by hippies, giving it the unusual property of containing 280g of THC in only 100g of weed. This non-euclidean mathematics causes psychosis.

I mean you don't know that dark matter isn't actually made of THC and that's why the universe is more massive than expected.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I love to wank and I would recommend all of you penis havers get a fleshlight and some poppers for a seriously excellent night in alone

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hydrooooo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you don't know that dark matter isn't actually made of THC and that's why the universe is more massive than expected.
Dank matter :420::drugnerd:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I love to wank and I would recommend all of you penis havers get a fleshlight and some poppers for a seriously excellent night in alone
Commentariat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

ThomasPaine posted:

If you like it in the butt, sure I guess - not so sure on it’s effectiveness for penile related activities as it’s a smooth muscle alkaloid. Whatever you do, don’t drink it! Relaxing the throat to gobble cock is partly why it’s popular.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 10, 2019