Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

"I've learned to just roll with it man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

one of my favorite dril knockoffs is wow's version, @drilidan

Gamer Urianger is alright but what I really want is, idk, the drilior of light

https://twitter.com/zodrilark/status/1162591583360802817?s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoo someone decided to queue for Sastasha (Hard) and I can finally get rid of one of the 15+ duties clogging up my journal

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whoo someone decided to queue for Sastasha (Hard) and I can finally get rid of one of the 15+ duties clogging up my journal

You know you can unsync those and run them Solo in like, 5 minutes each, right?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Holy poo poo I'm in the middle of GSM 50 and

the flying Lalafell headbutt caught me off guard, that's glorious :allears:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I just did that quest the other day it's so good.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

F-tier: Leatherworker: gently caress this crafting job if I weren't a completionist I wouldn't be doing this. All the recipes are complicated as gently caress, all the base recipes come from beast drops so you have to farm them with a combat class that gets little to no benefit from it plus you're rolling the dice to see if you're even getting the thing, compared to mining/botany, which makes buying from the market as a shortcut also expensive as gently caress because you're paying the markup, then each animal drops like 3 different items so your inventory is completely cluttered with bullshit, fur is murder
ltw isn’t so bad and i do like it for the items it gives you, but boy is farming the mats tedious. i have my retainers that are jobbed to a DoM/DoW class farm them and even then i get about 10-15 skins every hour. there apparently were plans to implement a shepherd/skinner class in 1.0 but that fell through and leatherworker/weaver have to rely on drops or retainers for certain items.

it makes me mad because having to grind for wool/fur/skins is the most tedious and time consuming part of crafting.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lmao thank you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Why would you do that, they're fun dungeons

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Awesome! posted:

i thought godberts whole gimmick was not wearing pants but then i had to talk to him during msq and he was wearing pants and my world was shattered

i choose to believe that was an imposter godbert

Godbert wears pants to withhold his awesome power. That's why you and everyone in the immediate area eventually start running like hell whenever he strips down. :v:

Awesome! posted:

the msq part i am talking about is when nanamo wanted to give money to ala mhigan refugees and godbert told her that was dumb you just have the quick chat with him and move on.

when you first meet him in hildibrand he is basically naked.

Godbert can be counted on to wear clothes at the Gold Saucer, Syndicate meetings, and the Starlight Festival.

Otherwise, all bets are off.

LordHippoman posted:

:yeah:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 9, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this, it looks like I am strong enough to solo Shiva Extreme so time to grind out that mount drop

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

These ~30 min. roulette wait times for DPS role are really starting to dissuade me from keeping up with my dancer. Really thinking about going back to tank.

61-70 doing Heaven on High is really good and fast for dps. Beyond that you just gotta occupy your time in queue doing fates or beast tribe dailies which give good xp. Or ask in FC if anyone wants to queue for roulettes!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Protip: if I am top DPS as black mage in an alliance raid, it means everybody else is really, really bad.

I am godawful at black mage

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i'm mildly curious about this game after everybody has kept bombing the wow forum about how good this game is. i understand i can start for free now, but how crippling is it to start for free and then have to upgrade later? i plan on playing on the PC and am inclined to just buy the complete edition straight up, unless there's some really great benefit to starting without it.

what is the best class to level solo for the first time through the story stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm mildly curious about this game after everybody has kept bombing the wow forum about how good this game is. i understand i can start for free now, but how crippling is it to start for free and then have to upgrade later? i plan on playing on the PC and am inclined to just buy the complete edition straight up, unless there's some really great benefit to starting without it.

what is the best class to level solo for the first time through the story stuff?

If you've never played before, you can get the trial version and level a character up to 35. If you do decide to go all the way then you just purchase the game and it will let you continue playing seamlessly. AFAIK it's not like other free-to-start setups (like SWTOR) where they deny you conveniences (like being able to use mounts), it's the entire thing anyone could access if they started out with the full purchased game

Edit: oh yeah there is the communication restriction but that's not a big deal at the beginning

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 9, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Free trial is up to level 35. There are some rather severe communication limitations presumably to cut spam from trial accounts. The main limitation that'll affect you is being unable to group up or join a free company (player guilds) until you buy. Just don't try or buy on Steam since that limits you from taking advantage of non-Steam sales. Also make sure to use a RAF code (from here) when you do intend to buy and start a sub.

Everything works solo. Tanks probably get by far the fastest dungeon queues, followed closely by healers, then dps.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i like using dps jobs for soloing through the story because the story itself gives plenty of exp, then leveling my healer/tank of choice via dungeon roulettes or grinding. anything is fine though, like if a dps doesn't catch your eye don't play one just because it's more efficient or something. if you're really unsure though i'd say to stay away from healers for the story stuff simply because their dps """"""rotation""""" is literally applying a single DoT and mashing one attack spell until the target dies. it's incredibly tedious for anything solo-related.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Keep in mind, base game 20 bucks, shb + other expansions is 40. If you don't like any of the small trial restrictions you can just pick up the base game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Any class is viable, but I'd go for a DPS job (just pick the one you think is the coolest, they're all pretty well-balanced and you can switch to another job on the same character if you don't like your current one). They're good at solo content, and their slow multiplayer queues matter less when you're getting showered with goodies for going through the story for the first time. They're also usually the least essential element of multiplayer content, so you can learn how things work at your leisure without feeling like you're ruining a bunch of other people's days. Alternatively, try a tank. They've got slightly less interesting combat options, but they dish out respectable damage, have some fun toys, get fast queues, and make you feel like the main character in multiplayer. Healers are perfectly functional solo, but very boring, and can be a bit scary for new players in multiplayer content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

3.5 Baelsar's Wall: I KNEW IT. HI ILBERD

e: and then we wiped because we didn't kill the sword thing fast enough

e2: and wiped again

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 9, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sloppy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

ed lol i knew someone else'd be waiting to do that :hfive:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's gonna be burned into my brain at this rate! :sloppy:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

e2: and wiped again

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks to PTSD from prae this scene (3.5 Wall spoilers)

"tell me...for whom do you fight? ... do you believe in eorzea?" is playing in my head

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

god drat this VA is so good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

ltw isn’t so bad and i do like it for the items it gives you, but boy is farming the mats tedious. i have my retainers that are jobbed to a DoM/DoW class farm them and even then i get about 10-15 skins every hour. there apparently were plans to implement a shepherd/skinner class in 1.0 but that fell through and leatherworker/weaver have to rely on drops or retainers for certain items.

it makes me mad because having to grind for wool/fur/skins is the most tedious and time consuming part of crafting.

I am honestly torn between going out and farming these items myself versus just saying "it'd be better for me just to run dungeons and buy off the market," I don't know which way would actually be better value.

Leveling my gatherers has been generally revenue-neutral or even positive but crafters are most definitely a money sink. I had 1 crafter above 50 and the rest at level 1 a week ago and now they are all at 50 or just about... but I also dropped from nearly a million gil to 350,000.

(And I still have to knock out all the guild quests for each past level 25 :geno: )

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

answers is playing, and we are hosed

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Argas posted:

use a RAF code (from here)

cool ty for the heads up

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

It's weaver that was a pain for me, what with having to craft threads to craft special threads to craft cloth and so on until you have no crystals left.

Don't hesitate to favourite the mats you need a lot of and server hop for the cheapest pricings on the market board, I've seen some mats with huge variance in prices, like 2.5k on a server and 8k on another. This can save you a lot of gils and you can play AH baron if you a find a 99 stack listed for way below market value

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My strategy for leatherworker materials was to claim the Free Company chest and start sending my combat retainer out constantly for skins far in advance of the tiers I'd actually be crafting so when I actually GOT to crafting I'd have like, stacks of 200-300 waiting.
This was not a fast strategy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol so I need a savage aim materia III to finish this quest and all the listings in the market are in bundles of 50

Edit: I just bought one of those bundles then relisted the rest for 99% of what I paid.

I guess if I want to make an optimal budget I should also factor in taxes and my teleportation expenses...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

all the base recipes come from beast drops so you have to farm them with a combat class that gets little to no benefit from it plus you're rolling the dice to see if you're even getting the thing

You absolutely do not have to do this. Just buy them off the market board.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

StrixNebulosa posted:

god drat this VA is so good

StrixNebulosa posted:

answers is playing, and we are hosed
:allears:

And remember, there were a good 2.5 months between that and the final four quests of pre-Stormblood. And another 2.5 months to digest what you'll see there before 4.0 hit.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol so I need a savage aim materia III to finish this quest and all the listings in the market are in bundles of 50

Edit: I just bought one of those bundles then relisted the rest for 99% of what I paid.

I guess if I want to make an optimal budget I should also factor in taxes and my teleportation expenses...

Don’t forget that if there isn’t a reasonable deal on your home server you can visit the other worlds on your cluster and shop around. I’ve found that items on Excalibur are sometimes significantly more expensive than on the other worlds.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

:allears:

And remember, there were a good 2.5 months between that and the final four quests of pre-Stormblood. And another 2.5 months to digest what you'll see there before 4.0 hit.

god, digesting and handling all of that and then 3.55 pops up and surprise! Nero's back, baby, and he wants to revive a frog!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love Gosetsu and want to know why he isn't in the Hildy quests where he so obviously belongs

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
who the gently caress are these loving clowns https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9236460623271914835/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

if you're on excal just ask goons... a good number of us have materia stockpiles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
coming soon to houses all over Eorzia thanks to the latest design contest

The rest of the winners
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/354fe9e1fcbe09dd8d49241b4f6aeb21e8a45a2d