Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

"Scientists do [whatever weird thing]. Still no cure for cancer," was literally the joke that appeared in the headline on Fark every time there was a weird science article. It's a really dumb, tired joke, that belongs in the trash can alongside, "I got them all cut."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

JoelJoel posted:

I used to know a perfectly intelligent and well educated person but then they heard a joke about the appropriation and direction of scientific funding and now they're a complete moron.

Why don't the science men hit the cure cancer button huh

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somfin posted:

Why don't the science men hit the cure cancer button huh

because it's linked to the vast array of nuclear warheads built into specific faultlines that when detonated will cause the planet to crack like an egg and exterminate all life in a wave of irradiated magma -- or lava when it hits the surface -- leaving the world a charred and broken husk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I usually don't like any of the parody news stuff aside from The Onion, but

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1193233726165180416?s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/realpunknews/status/1154134171327041544

The headline is perfect but the article is weak.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

because it's linked to the vast array of nuclear warheads built into specific faultlines that when detonated will cause the planet to crack like an egg and exterminate all life in a wave of irradiated magma -- or lava when it hits the surface -- leaving the world a charred and broken husk

drat it's a good thing we train the science men, I'd have just stomped on in there and hit the "cure cancer" button

One of the many programmers I employ at my VC-funded startup bought me a "fix the bugs" button that makes a little victory jingle when pressed, but I think that it is a joke, as there are still bugs despite me pressing it

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Cancer isn't the point. The point is very clever people spending fortunes in resources on wacky poo poo instead of like. Making affordable prosthetic limbs that run on cellphone batteries.

The next step will probably be folded wings for Teslas and hyperloop navigation system conversion kits.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/stevevsninjas/status/1191890316804050944

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Eschenique posted:

Cancer isn't the point. The point is very clever people spending fortunes in resources on wacky poo poo instead of like. Making affordable prosthetic limbs that run on cellphone batteries.

The next step will probably be folded wings for Teslas and hyperloop navigation system conversion kits.

The "wacky poo poo" though is often a tech demo for the same improvements that are going into said prosthetic limbs and stuff. Or military murder-mongers and billionaire scum to further automate the alienation of the population.

Still, don't fault the tech people, the silly back-flipping robodoggos might be the used to study how to improve the responsiveness of an artificial limb or to make tele-surgery safer and more affordable.

EDIT: And by "tech people" I mean the engineers actually working on the stuff, they don't get much of a say where their research heads. Some lady might have been working on a device to simplify navigation for airplanes in order to make trips more efficient to lower their carbon footprint only for Raytheon to buy the rights to make their killbots a fraction of a percentage more killy.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Nov 9, 2019

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ThomasIsOnline/status/1193198692406304769?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Still, don't fault the tech people,

They absolutely loving should

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They absolutely loving should

I gave an example of why you shouldn't, though. Yeah, there's a lot of lovely techbros out there that do things like make racist AI facial recognition devices, but there are also good people that want to make things to better mankind.

C'mon, let's not be anti-intellectual here, the real assholes are the ones using the stuff to cause harm. It's like blaming the rise of fascism on the invention of the computer.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
they will put guns on the dogs and kill people with it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

C'mon, let's not be anti-intellectual here...

Have you *been* on these forums? Anti-intellectualism is as constant as the tides here.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

nerdz posted:

they will put guns on the dogs and kill people with it

Yeah, and that sucks, but does that we mean we need to stop innovating?

"Sorry Barbara, I know you want to walk again, but some dudes online thought that the neural interface device that would allow you to regain control of the lower half of your body would be used to make Metal Gear or something. Have a chair with wheels on it and a diaper."

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, and that sucks, but does that we mean we need to stop innovating?

"Sorry Barbara, I know you want to walk again, but some dudes online thought that the neural interface device that would allow you to regain control of the lower half of your body would be used to make Metal Gear or something. Have a chair with wheels on it and a diaper."

Barbara can't walk because she's from Palestine/Central America and was mauled by a robotic lion with guns on it that patrolled the border :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
gun dogs own actually

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Eschenique posted:

Barbara can't walk because she's from Palestine/Central America and was mauled by a robotic lion with guns on it that patrolled the border :v:

don't bring voltron into this you son of a bitch

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm 1000% sure he made this just so people can "dunk" on him while spreading it out more for free.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Eschenique posted:

But seriously, again, how is that the fault of the engineer? This isn't like gun control, as the technologies presented can do so much more than be walking gun platforms, but the forces of capitalism are perverting what could be the beginning of life-changing technology into something it shouldn't be. The technology isn't the problem, it's the ones controlling it.

The same robotic lion that mauled Barbara could have been used as a robotic stretcher to carry the injured into an ambulance, or to assist nurses transporting the elderly in a care center, or any number of applications that are being ignored in favor of causing widespread death and violence in order to make some billionaire's dollar/score count go up by a part of a percent.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department" says Wernher von Braun

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We shouldn't teach people to write, they'll just use that skill to write vapid thinkpieces defending capitalism!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Mrung think sharp rock is bad idea. Blunt rock is good enough. Sharp rock just be used by Evil Tribe.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this derail is absurdly dumb and should stop

it's just insanely stupid

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1193266011966828544

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JoelJoel posted:

I used to know a perfectly intelligent and well educated person but then they heard a joke about the appropriation and direction of scientific funding and now they're a complete moron.

Ok. Words don't matter. They affect nothing. Got it.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Nov 9, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ok. Words don't matter. They affect nothing.

Finally something correct instead of pointless handwringing

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the cute robot doggos are going to be used for fascism, hth

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Laterite posted:

Same with real cute doggos. :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Laterite posted:

Aiding fascism is a point in the pros column for insane dog people

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Winter/status/1193249301675294725

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nerdz posted:

this derail is absurdly dumb and should stop

it's just insanely stupid

There it is.

I love derails, but this one has run its course and it can't go anywhere other than bad faith.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1192853015927173121?s=19

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm 1000% sure he made this just so people can "dunk" on him while spreading it out more for free.
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that the current trend of "The right are being poo poo on purpose and by pointing and yelling 'look at these fuckwits' you're actually giving them a propaganda victory" wasn't started by the right themselves because they don't like people pointing and yelling "look at these fuckwits" :v:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
https://twitter.com/spectordeforce/status/1193242586909233156

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/danlistensto/status/1182658416092893184

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

He should have made the smoke pink or blue though.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

jamal posted:

He should have made the smoke pink or blue though.
It's a goth

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Popes are white smoke.