Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i'm not asking for the AI to be good at the game, i'm just asking for the AI to not suck at the game, and for the numbers to be on a fairly even footing rather than consistently skewed in the players favour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

IIRC, the game already has varying levels of AI - standard trainers, "Ace" trainers, and then bossfights.

You are correct. I wish I could remember the exact differences between them without having to look it up, but the one I remember off the top of my head is wild Pokemon always use totally random attacks. And I think every trainer ai type will switch out if they can if none of their current Pokemon's moves will have any effect on yours.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Plasbad posted:

The main problem with "better trainer ai" is that at a certain point the game just cheats and reacts to whatever choice you made, so you can't really outplay it. For example, say you had a fire type out against their grass type and you knew they had a water type to switch in. Against a human, you could predict the switch and use say, thunderbolt expecting the switch. The ai would read that move and leave the grass type in to use a status or coverage move of their own because they know they're safe. It all just becomes a matter of either having the bigger numbers or learning new ways to exploit the ai. And honestly, while I do think boss fights and the like should definitely be more challenging than they had been in the last few games, making every trainer fight hard and giving them full or almost full teams just makes getting through new areas a slog. Victory Road in nearly every game has always been my least favorite area for that reason. Just my opinions though.

Realistic ai is an awful idea anyway, the games just need enough to make it look like the trainers are actually putting up a fight. At least stop them from using up all their potions on their first Pokemon.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Actually, if they could use the same ai that gets used in like, Pokemon Stadium or Battle Revolution, I think it'd be perfect. And to be fair I think that's what they use for the Battle Tower type areas. What I'm saying is we need a new Stadium style game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/du52ka/swordshield_director_ohmori_maintains_that_the/

Interview out from the Netherlands says the reduced dex isn’t getting reversed and will be the standard going forward, among other things.

Is this loving thing going to be a subscription service on top of the 20 bucks you pay for nintendo online services? Because if so holy gently caress. Also who here is motivated to try and catch gigantomax pokemon knowing full loving well they're going to drop the idea next Gen making them fundamentally no different from any other pokemon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Is this loving thing going to be a subscription service on top of the 20 bucks you pay for nintendo online services? Because if so holy gently caress. Also who here is motivated to try and catch gigantomax pokemon knowing full loving well they're going to drop the idea next Gen making them fundamentally no different from any other pokemon.

Pokemon Bank was an online subscription service, no reason not to think the same about this too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Most video game AI is The Way It Is because making super reactive "smart" AI is super expensive and time consuming compared to what you get out of it, which is a very small portion of the playerbase pleased.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, and Bank was only $5 a year, so I doubt this would be much more if at all.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
hot take: pokemon should have remained a 2D sprite game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Flopsy posted:

Me because I'd like to use the gigantomax pokemon in the game where you can make giant pokemon happen

I don't care if it gets dropped or not.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Most video game AI is The Way It Is because making super reactive "smart" AI is super expensive and time consuming compared to what you get out of it, which is a very small portion of the playerbase pleased.

A dumb, but funny ai is better.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

yeah if people are champing at the bit for a smart opponent who knows how to react and play competitively but also can't cheat, showdown is right there

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pokemon Bank was an online subscription service, no reason not to think the same about this too.

I could safely keep all my pokemon in game and didn't have to pay for it all the drat time. I wasn't paying 20 bucks on top of it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I'll catch the Pokemon that are in the game and use them in the game, my Pokemon Bank has probably expired anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

hot take: pokemon should have remained a 2D sprite game

I mean 100% I agree with this

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The best ai choice would probably be to add combat barks (if they don't slow down the battle itself.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'll catch the Pokemon that are in the game and use them in the game, my Pokemon Bank has probably expired anyway.

I have zero motivation to try and catch a thing which is described as very difficult to get when i know for a fact it's not going to carry over.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah if people are champing at the bit for a smart opponent who knows how to react and play competitively but also can't cheat, showdown is right there

Exactly, and PVP in Pokemon is honestly incredibly fun. Competitive Pokemon is like a completely different game. I love having a relaxing time enjoying catching and training dudes while I play through the base game, and then I have fun building teams and playing online, and Showdown is fun for saving time when I want to try stuff out. Friday cannot get here fast enough.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

competitive pokemon is like a deckbuilding game except for some reason my brain doesn't hate it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I have zero motivation to try and catch a thing which is described as very difficult to get when i know for a fact it's not going to carry over.

I'm not joking when I say you should try to overcome this, and also use all your potions instead of hoarding them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm not joking when I say you should try to overcome this, and also use all your potions instead of hoarding them.

Why? I'm serious explain to me why I should make the effort knowing full well it's for nothing? I work my rear end off breeding egg moves, hidden abilities, and good IV's what's my motivation here if I have to guess whether or not gigantmaxing passes down again knowing full well it'll be dead after a generation. Make your case to me if you're that invested.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brother Entropy posted:

competitive pokemon is like a deckbuilding game except for some reason my brain doesn't hate it

same, though it helps that simultaneous action selection is my favorite board game mechanic so pokemon just being That makes it badass

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even ignoring the losing effort vs return proposition on AI, I still don't think "a hard Pokemon game" will ever happen. The sectioned-off "Generation" nature of the franchise as well as the target audience of kids means that every Pokemon game has to be built to be someone's first Pokemon game. It's why I always roll my eyes when people complain about a Pokemon game being "over-tutorialized". Yeah dude that stuff isn't there for you.

All that said the XP share should totally be a toggle and it's bizarre that they're sticking to this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brother Entropy posted:

holy poo poo this is why I like it too

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Flopsy posted:

Why? I'm serious explain to me why I should make the effort knowing full well it's for nothing? I work my rear end off breeding egg moves, hidden abilities, and good IV's what's my motivation here if I have to guess whether or not gigantmaxing passes down again knowing full well it'll be dead after a generation. Make your case to me if you're that invested.

Nothing lasts forever, certainly not video game franchises. Your digital possessions could become (more) worthless at pretty much any moment at the whims of the video game market (a market that is irrational as hell.) Your Pokemon only have the value you place on them, if you don't want them then don't waste time catching them for theoretical future value that will definitely not exist.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

That doesn’t have to be the case if you have the AI commit to it’s move before the player selects theirs.

Or you have an AI that can 'scout' or 'learn'. Like it doesn't know the Fire type has Thunderbolt until you actually use it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nothing lasts forever, certainly not video game franchises. Your digital possessions could become (more) worthless at pretty much any moment at the whims of the video game market (a market that is irrational as hell.) Your Pokemon only have the value you place on them, if you don't want them then don't waste time catching them for theoretical future value that will definitely not exist.

So the entire purpose of the franchise is literally poo poo is what you're telling me. And wow you sure dropped that argument in favor of fast didn't you?

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
For me, I'm excited about the idea of gigantimaxing being a rare thing because it'll scratch my itch of finding rare drops in games. I totally get that's not for everyone, and doubly so if you don't want to invest in something you may not use for more than a couple of games. I'll build a bunch of cool and dumb teams this gen and then be excited to do it all over again next gen too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

For me, I'm excited about the idea of gigantimaxing being a rare thing because it'll scratch my itch of finding rare drops in games. I totally get that's not for everyone, and doubly so if you don't want to invest in something you may not use for more than a couple of games. I'll build a bunch of cool and dumb teams this gen and then be excited to do it all over again next gen too.

See this at least makes sense.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is incredibly petty, but personally I dislike that pokemon will be on an app and I sincerely hope that home will also be accessible from regular computers and/or the switch as well

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

this is incredibly petty, but personally I dislike that pokemon will be on an app and I sincerely hope that home will also be accessible from regular computers and/or the switch as well

That would be nice.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

what's petty about this? apps suck complete rear end in a top hat. give me a normal goddamn program with a good UI

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm beginning to suspect home isn't loving finished and they're literally flying by the seat of their pants.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flopsy posted:

I'm beginning got suspect home isn't loving finished and they're literally flying by the seat of their pants.

What is this based off of? Point to a single thing that gamefreak has made that doesn't have the complete upmost polish applied to it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

What is this based off of? Point to a single thing that gamefreak has made that doesn't have the complete upmost polish applied to it.

It's based off the fact they won't describe a single aspect of how it's supposed to work. They talk about what it's intended to do not how that will be accomplished and when pressed for details get super vague.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Flopsy posted:

It's based off the fact they won't describe a single aspect of how it's supposed to work. They talk about what it's intended to do not how that will be accomplished and when pressed for details get super vague.

I'm loving around lol, Gamefreak love just making poo poo up as they go along

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

I'm loving around lol, Gamefreak love just making poo poo up as they go along

Sorry I'm slow on the uptake. I literally do have aspergers and this kinda thing will fly over my head sometimes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Borsche69 posted:

Uh literally all of the web browsers side stuff for their online poo poo for the.last 3 gens of pokemon games have been like....absolute shitshows. The website for dreamworld was a barely functioning mess and the site for registering for tournaments had the absolute worst loving layout and labyrinthine subpages.

They've been poo poo at anything that wasnt in game for most if their history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean let's be honest they were poo poo at most things in the game too. People certainly didn't enjoy Pokemon Red/Blue because they were tightly designed well-functioning games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mutata posted:

Yep I agree. Also duh. I also appreciate the footnote. But notice I specifically talked about the rank and file who work hard and do the actual work. They are humans and it's ok to say nice things to them while directing your displeasure at the corporation and its leadership and representatives.

Typically the rank and file at a video game corporation could not give several shits about how some video game gets received. It would be a nice gesture, but a lot of the meaning would get lost in the action.