Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

allowing the first place team to cruise to victory almost uncontested.

You can just say Maelstrom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speculation based on the Stormblood trailer: there's no single focused plot to SB, huh. Or rather the overall theme is "fight empire, free Asia, go to cool Asian locales". Whereas HW had the focused "we are here to stop a war" thing. I've heard that this pack isn't as good as the others, but it also handles these complex themes well, so I'm going in with curious expectations.

...also yeah while that trailer was pretty it didn't have the same blood-pumping urgency of the HW one, so okay. Ah well. Onwards!

Stormblood mostly gets criticized for trying to tell two stories and ending up not having enough time to do either one of them justice, which is fair. But I also think having different locations spring up helped it’s overall theme that imperialism is unrelentingly lovely and it fucks up society at every level in any part of the world, even people who on the surface level might be benefiting from it. The main villain of the story isn’t a character, it’s imperialism itself, and seeing what it has done to the people in these parts of the world takes precedence over the clashing armies and character drama. All in all I really liked it but I can see how it disappointed some people.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
Trip report: If you've been putting off doing BLU spells because of the unrelenting grind in getting the primal spells, now's a good time to get back to it. People were saying that, if you do a sync'd group, it's a near 100% learn rate, but even the unsync'd rate is really good now. My friend and I decided to clean up our spellbooks this afternoon, with him still needing Mountain Buster and me needing every primal spell except Feather Rain, and it only took us four(?) tries for him and one or two tries each for me (I solo'd Ifrit Normal for Eruption, which took me 10 tries, but I wonder if it would have been as fast as the others if I'd just done Hard with his help).

Now if only I could get Perfect Blue done without taking a stupid hit at the last possible moment...

[EDIT] https://imgur.com/a/NWtVmrh

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 10, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK yeah I am going to dock points from WVR for its 40-50 range also being dependent on animal drops. Gonna see if grinding through with lower-level BTN materials and this Commercial Engineering Manual can get me over the hump.

I guess true consistency can only be found in metal... and also wood I guess

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finally finish installing the game?

spend another hour loving with all the settings, all the key binds, all of the HUD elements, customizing your character, etc.

gawd drat

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So is there anything else you should be doing in pvp besides "take the points, beat up other teams"? It seems like some maps have other objectives, but it's never really clear to me which one has what. Maybe just because I haven't played a lot of pvp.

In a quantum superposition and therefore unordered:

a) stick together
2) Frontlines is inherently objective-focused, bump those up on your priority
iii) Don't get sandwiched. Learn when to cut bait and haul rear end.
*) If they're fighting each other, don't hesitate to give someone a real bad day.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

finally finish installing the game?

spend another hour loving with all the settings, all the key binds, all of the HUD elements, customizing your character, etc.

gawd drat

Don't forget to back up all of your settings in case something goes wrong. The process is streamlined now - I had done it a few months back and it came in handy for when I had a computer issue and had to re-install.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Finally made it to the :bandwagon:

Thanks to the friendly PBC goons who ran with me through the final dungeon and trial. Loved the expansion, but especially loved (end game zone spoilers) all of Amaurot through the finale.

Bonus screenshot:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh wow you can pull out gear from the glamour dresser? I thought it destroyed them forever.

I guess that solves one of my fifteen inventory management problems

Edit: oh you can't store belts in the glamour dresser because they have no visible presence, it's like this game's inventory system is designed to provide some kind of annoyance at every turn lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 10, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow you can pull out gear from the glamour dresser? I thought it destroyed them forever.

I guess that solves one of my fifteen inventory management problems

It used to.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I got some fireglass leather from maps tonight so I made a MNK glamour:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've also left a bunch of things undone - bonus dungeons, Void Ark, and all of my crafters are in their 20s. But that's okay. Game big, and I'll continue at my own pace.

Please do the 3.x 24 man raid series. Just queue while doing quests and they'll pop pretty fast. Some of the best fights in the game, and as a bonus each time you do this you'll make 23 other people incredibly happy that they didn't get LOTA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Copycat Zero posted:

Now if only I could get Perfect Blue done without taking a stupid hit at the last possible moment...

I got it recently and I can give you some tips. Which phase are you having trouble with?

Oh, wait, never mind. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 10, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can I get Nero's sunglasses

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 10, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I made Nero's Sunglasses HQ back when they were first introduced to the game and Nero was still busy bathing in purple drank and being edgy.

I have a glamour plate solely dedicated to wearing those sunglasses.

(they're called Shaded Spectacles)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The BLU changes have made some Masked Carnival stages pretty frustrating. Like for floor 20 about the only guides I can find say "cheese all 3 acts with Final Sting / Self Destruct" but the addition of Brush with Death makes that non-viable. Trying to do it the regular way requires knockback protection, and since Surecast is 120 seconds now you can't use that. Looks like Diamondback (which I don't have) is literally the only way to beat the fight now.

e: managed to cheese it by using Final Sting on Typhon, then literally dragging out Act 2 for 10 minutes so I could Final Sting him again in Act 3. Lame!

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 10, 2019

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Splash Attack posted:

there apparently were plans to implement a shepherd/skinner class in 1.0 but that fell through and leatherworker/weaver have to rely on drops or retainers for certain items.

Have they ever explained why they've never added in any new DoL/DoH classes? Aside from the obvious answer of "Crafting was a Sisyphean nightmare until literally a few weeks ago". I guess the ones we have now already cover pretty much everything but something like that shepherd idea would be pretty nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I guess I have to add another bullet point to my "holy poo poo moments" in this game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Have they ever explained why they've never added in any new DoL/DoH classes? Aside from the obvious answer of "Crafting was a Sisyphean nightmare until literally a few weeks ago". I guess the ones we have now already cover pretty much everything but something like that shepherd idea would be pretty nice.

please don't give them ideas, my inventory is suffering

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Cleretic posted:

Rip up the objectives and move in a group. Only fight if you have to, and only if you're pretty sure you can win. Actual priorities vary depending on the map, though.

For example, today is the Borderland Ruins. The nodes that spawn in the center are huge priorities, and ideally someone on your team should be calling out when to go there (although these days the map also shows when stuff like that will spawn). After that, take the points around the perimeter of the map. Sometimes you have smaller teams of people that let the rest of their group do the center nodes while they go cap points when everyone's busy, which tends to work well, but doesn't always happen.
Unless 5.1 changed the scoring system, the points are more valuable than the nodes and the winner is whoever did the best job holding onto 3 points.

Nodes were more important in 8v8v8 but that's not a thing anymore.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

So I decided to level blacksmithing, and partway through leveling botanist to get mats for carpenter I realised this might not have been my best plan?

Also, I'm starting to enjoy the monk story post 50. It's not great or anything, but I don't hate the two NPCs anymore, so it's better at least.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I guess I have to add another bullet point to my "holy poo poo moments" in this game.

gently caress he's so cute

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm working on leveling Machinist, at around level 47 where the Wildfire shenanigans are starting to pop off, but I still don't think I get the point of Hot Shot?

It has a higher potency than the first combo hit, but it seems like the combo takes higher priority, so I'm unsure of when I'd really get practical use out of it. Is it something that opens up later, or am I missing something?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LordHippoman posted:

I'm working on leveling Machinist, at around level 47 where the Wildfire shenanigans are starting to pop off, but I still don't think I get the point of Hot Shot?

It has a higher potency than the first combo hit, but it seems like the combo takes higher priority, so I'm unsure of when I'd really get practical use out of it. Is it something that opens up later, or am I missing something?

It fills your battery gauge by 20, which is what you use to summon your turret/robot. The only other thing that fills the gauge is the last shot in your combo, and that's only by 10.

Edit: Also, your combo averages out to 260 potency a shot and Hot Shot is 300, so even if the battery gauge wasn't a thing it's still a DPS gain over time to use it.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 10, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

LordHippoman posted:

Hot Shot gives 20 battery on the spot and doesn't break your combo, so you just throw it out whenever it comes up just to get to 100 faster.

Honestly, Hot Shot was a casualty of the MCH rework for 5.0. Originally it gave you a 10% damage boost for 30 seconds so getting it early made sense, now there's a 36 level gap between when you get it and when it becomes actually useful.

Once you hit ShB it upgrades into Air Anchor, which has 700 potency.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Casualty implies something of value was lost; old Hot Shot was terrible, as was every other "hit this button once every 30 to 60 seconds for a minor damage buff" skill. Good riddance.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Cabbit posted:

Casualty implies something of value was lost; old Hot Shot was terrible, as was every other "hit this button once every 30 to 60 seconds for a minor damage buff" skill. Good riddance.
And yet DRG remains saddled with theirs, which isn't even extended by the AoE rotation like SAM's is.

Still a fun job regardless, but I would appreciate that being fixed.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Yapping Eevee posted:

And yet DRG remains saddled with theirs, which isn't even extended by the AoE rotation like SAM's is.

Still a fun job regardless, but I would appreciate that being fixed.

Oh yes, please give DRG an aoe rotation, some kind of sweep maybe?

Also, nice glam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Stormblood mostly gets criticized for trying to tell two stories and ending up not having enough time to do either one of them justice, which is fair. But I also think having different locations spring up helped it’s overall theme that imperialism is unrelentingly lovely and it fucks up society at every level in any part of the world, even people who on the surface level might be benefiting from it. The main villain of the story isn’t a character, it’s imperialism itself, and seeing what it has done to the people in these parts of the world takes precedence over the clashing armies and character drama. All in all I really liked it but I can see how it disappointed some people.

Thanks, you're making me even more hyped for it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Please do the 3.x 24 man raid series. Just queue while doing quests and they'll pop pretty fast. Some of the best fights in the game, and as a bonus each time you do this you'll make 23 other people incredibly happy that they didn't get LOTA.

Hahaha I feel this and for the record WoD sucks more than LotA. Okay, soon! Possibly today!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoy WoD because of the suspense whether enough people know how to do Cerberus.

One time we wiped because a player disconnected while holding the chain

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoy WoD because of the suspense whether enough people know how to do Cerberus.

One time we wiped because a player disconnected while holding the chain

One time we had him down to 1% health and wiped because literally no one alive knew how to LB

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Today I started leveling CNJ and I heard something weird behind me and realized that a friend had tracked me down in Gridania so they could follow me around blasting the Cheers theme music on the trumpet

I love this loving game

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Trenchdeep posted:

Oh yes, please give DRG an aoe rotation, some kind of sweep maybe?

Also, nice glam.
The irony is that for a job who only gets their first AoE at 40, DRG is actually fairly good at it.

(And thanks, it's just the augmented Facet set dyed.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Everyone, I regret to inform you that Eureka is now good. That 150% Echo goes a long way, it frees up basically every resource a Red Mage ever had to invest in defense.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pixie Beast Tribe quests own, definitely a nice uplifting break from the Catharsis that came in the MSQ

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's also a nice chance to see the pixies at their best least murderous.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I got it recently and I can give you some tips. Which phase are you having trouble with?

Oh, wait, never mind. :v:

Putting aside brain-farts like forgetting that AoE attacks have fall-off now and then fat-fingering trying to finish off the not-quite-dead angon as a result, the main part I was consistently failing at was dealing with his last Earthshaker Plaincracker combo during the Charybdis AoEs. I would get what seemed like an unlucky spread of casts and have no way to get to a safe spot without either getting hit or passing through a Charybdis hitbox.

I, uh, got "lucky" finally :v:

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 10, 2019

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Asimo posted:

It's also a nice chance to see the pixies at their best least murderous.

And quite a few more disturbing sides... Re: the shepherd

Or this
https://twitter.com/sabato__n/status/1193373305987833857

FortMan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Figured I'd try this out since I've heard good things. Over an hour later loving with getting my account registered and entering my registraion code, and I think I'm just going to get a refund instead. I have never seen a more unnecessarily complicated and asinine registration process for a game.