Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Does the red gobbo have stats or is it purely for display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Stats will come later GW mentioned in this article:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/09/its-a-christmas-revolushun/

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorta.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Inquisition is getting a white dwarf codex, hot drat, this is going to be an exciting month!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

They really need to do rules for Da Grot Revolutionaries in Kill Team.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hopefully it’s something playable to have GRC in 40k proper.

I grabbed two Red Gobbos today, one to paint all Christmas-like and another to convert into the actual Red Gobbo since ebay has the Gorkamorka era one at around $60.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Welp, just fought Nu Marines with Necrons.

What an awful experience. My opponent is a cool guy and we're good, but the basic bolter dude being able to consistently move and double tap at full range at -2 is...something. Probably winnable if I hadn't lost 6 units turn 1 to shooting but Jesus gently caress!

It turned into a game of rocket tag where I moved slower and my Tesla guns were pretty worthless.

Any ideas? I have an itc tournament Saturday.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What an awful experience. My opponent is a cool guy and we're good, but the basic bolter dude being able to consistently move and double tap at full range at -2 is...something. Probably winnable if I hadn't lost 6 units turn 1 to shooting but Jesus gently caress!

It turned into a game of rocket tag where I moved slower and my Tesla guns were pretty worthless.

What’s your list?

It’s an uphill battle against marines, but if you get turn 1 and a little dice luck Necrons can smash in some of the better marine combos in the early game. Most necron armies are based around 3 doomsday arks and 3 doom scythes (to try and use the amalgamated targeting data strategem) and then maybe destroyers and/or wraiths or tomb blades.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Heer98 posted:

What’s your list?

It’s an uphill battle against marines, but if you get turn 1 and a little dice luck Necrons can smash in some of the better marine combos in the early game. Most necron armies are based around 3 doomsday arks and 3 doom scythes (to try and use the amalgamated targeting data strategem) and then maybe destroyers and/or wraiths or tomb blades.

Battalion:
Imotekh the Stormlord
Necron Lord, staff of light (veil of darkness)
3x 10 man Tesla immortals
3 doomsday arks
6x destroyers
2x 3 scarab squads

Air Wing
3x doom scythes

It's the one true Necron list, yea. I had the misfortune of going second so I got smashed by hellblasters and massive amounts of shooting.

I was wondering if there was some specific meta build change to deal with Nu Marines, but I guess it's The One List all the way down.

Guess I wait for psychic awakening....

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Picked up da Red Gobbo today, but since I'z not willin' to spen' morea me teef, I'z not sure I'z got enuff paints da paint the little git. :orks: *cough* I got to GW today to pick up the Red Gobbo, and a painting handle. However, because I spent $50 on this alone, I was reluctant to pick up any paints, and I don't think I have enough to paint him properly. I've got Waagh Flesh, but for lighter green shades, I think I only have Warpstone Glow for the highlight. Would that look weird?

Do you have any other colours to mix with that green and lighten it? White, bone or yellow may work. Warpstone Glow is a shade more suited to Nobz & Warbosses, ideally you need to go lighter for grotz.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Giant Isopod posted:

Inquisition is getting a white dwarf codex, hot drat, this is going to be an exciting month!

Yes! Finally maybe I can actually use all my inquisition figures knocking about.

I also want an excuse to buy Inquisitor Karamazov. I bought him eons ago when he was metal, managed to build him and I was happy with his paint job.

One day I took him out of the classic GW case, he got caught on the foam, tumbled from my fingers, and I watched him break into like 15 pieces.

I have moved house about 4 times since and his shattered remains are missing along with my blood bowl team, my necromunda spyrer team, and a diarama thing I made with the ringwraith models from WoTR

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How are they doing that?

Bolter discipline doesn't allow them to do that so is it a chapter or a doctrines thing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kitchner posted:

How are they doing that?

Bolter discipline doesn't allow them to do that so is it a chapter or a doctrines thing?

Ultramarines.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
GW put up a video saying PA2 preorder is from next Saturday, so we should be seeing previews pretty soon.

That's a week earlier than the leaked release list unless it's a 2 week preorder. Guess the Sisters box will be the same.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Max Wilco posted:

Picked up da Red Gobbo today, but since I'z not willin' to spen' morea me teef, I'z not sure I'z got enuff paints da paint the little git. :orks: *cough* I got to GW today to pick up the Red Gobbo, and a painting handle. However, because I spent $50 on this alone, I was reluctant to pick up any paints, and I don't think I have enough to paint him properly. I've got Waagh Flesh, but for lighter green shades, I think I only have Warpstone Glow for the highlight. Would that look weird?

I like that gold too. What paints did you use? I have some trouble telling the difference between the gold/brass metallics.

It’s Retributor Armour with Reikland Fleshshade. It’s really nice to paint with too.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What are some effective combos for Dark Apostles in 500 point games? A friend gave me one for my birthday and I'm trying to think up a small list to use with him as the HQ, never used the new rules before.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Battalion:
Imotekh the Stormlord
Necron Lord, staff of light (veil of darkness)
3x 10 man Tesla immortals
3 doomsday arks
6x destroyers
2x 3 scarab squads

Air Wing
3x doom scythes

It's the one true Necron list, yea. I had the misfortune of going second so I got smashed by hellblasters and massive amounts of shooting.

I was wondering if there was some specific meta build change to deal with Nu Marines, but I guess it's The One List all the way down.

Guess I wait for psychic awakening....

The only thing I do differently than you is run a Cryptek with a Chronometron for a 5+save bubble on whatever I pull with the Veil. I like playing Nephrek, so I can put stuff in reserve, but I’m finding after I beat a marine player once with gimmicky stuff, it’s very hard to ever beat them again.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

goose willis posted:

What are some effective combos for Dark Apostles in 500 point games? A friend gave me one for my birthday and I'm trying to think up a small list to use with him as the HQ, never used the new rules before.

Use him to buff one of your other two units.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there an option to build a non-Christmas, classic Red Gobbo?

Also:
I've been looking at Ecclesiarchy units that don't occupy any slots, and noticed you can take a bunch of crusaders / flagellants / death cultists in a Spearhead detachment of 3 penitent engines and a missionary.

...But then nothing gets Objective Secured, everybody is expensive, you have no real shooting, and it gives few CP.

It's thematic as hell to have a penitent detachment, and I love the idea of Sisters without Sisters, but is this even worth thinking about? I should probably wait for the real book at the end of the month.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have been on a full-time intensive coding bootcamp course for the past 12 weeks, and haven't been able to pay much attention to the hobby. How are Space Marines getting along since their new codexes? Are they as fearsome as people were predicting? I have a primaris Ultramarines army just waiting for me to finish this course.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gunder posted:

I have been on a full-time intensive coding bootcamp course for the past 12 weeks, and haven't been able to pay much attention to the hobby. How are Space Marines getting along since their new codexes? Are they as fearsome as people were predicting? I have a primaris Ultramarines army just waiting for me to finish this course.

Imperial Fists and Iron Hands are meta shattering monsters at the moment. The other chapters are all some variant of really good, especially ultras.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boing posted:

So unfortunately we didn't get to have a straight up game, the campaign organiser instead set us a weird little narrative mission where my Mechanicus forces had ambushed the Custodes and had to kill them before they got away. I get one VP for every Custode unit destroyed, Custodes get one VP for every unit they successfully move off the table. Custodes deployed in the centre of a 48x48" board so they only really had to move 20" or so to reach the edge.

Neither of us were really happy with this set of objectives because it meant neither of us really got to do what we wanted to do. I got first turn and it was basically a game of 'how good is my shooting phase' as I unload all my firepower into focus firing individual Custodian units and he makes a bunch of 2+/3++ saves forever. On his turn he charges my Kastelans which are at the board edge with a jetbike, shutting down a lot of my shooting, his Custodian Guard wipe out some Kataphrons and consolidate into my Dominus and get a load of distance out of that.

I did manage to take out 2 Custodian Guard squads mainly with plasma vanguards, my Icarus dunecrawler and the first round of Kastelan shooting, and my Vindicare managed to take out a Shield-Captain in two shots, but his other 3 squads made it off the table so we ended up with a draw. It was a little unsatisfying but I'm gonna play that guy again in a proper battle later, and now I know a little more about what to expect from his army!

Kastelans really are perfect for putting damage on Custodians, with their bucketload of s6 ap-2 shots, and I'm sure in a real battle I can deploy them with enough screening that they get at least two rounds of shooting off. The Vindicare also did good work, although he was unusually lucky with rolling 6s to wound, so I'll need to validate how well he does in other games.

Hey, good job on getting a draw on a non-standard scenario. That's the kind of mission that could have gone south real quick. To pull a draw out of it is good work.

Those Custodes Jetbikes are a real problem. Sounds like he only had one this game, presumably a Shield Captain? It's when the Custodes load up on the bikers that things get really nasty. There are plenty of competitive Soup lists out there that are a handful of cheap Astra Militarum infantry, some AM tanks and/or artillery, and everything else is Custodes on jetbikes. The infantry screen and go and grab objectives and qualify for a Battalion for CP, the tanks and or artillery blast stuff at range, and the Custodes zip around and murder stuff in melee, preferably the stuff you would use to blast back at the tanks and/or artillery. So keep an eye out for more bikes the next time you face him, especially if you're in an escalating campaign that allows larger and larger armies over time. Be very wary if your campaign allows Soup lists, because Custodes biggest problem is low unit counts because everything is so expensive...but if he can Soup and get some cheap AM or even Marines or Sisters to bulk up his numbers while focusing on his really good Custodes units? That's when Custodes really shine.

Vindicares are just like every other sniper unit in the game, be they Aeldari Rangers, Marine Scouts or Eliminators, AM Ratlings, or whatever. When their dice are hot they feel like the best unit in your army, murdering characters left, right, and center. When their dice are cold, they feel useless. The solution to Snipers is, as with a lot of things in 40k, volume of fire. There's a reason why you rarely see a single unit of three Eliminators in a competitive Marine list, for instance. You see three units of three each (usually as part of a Raven Guard force though there's arguments to made for Iron Hands, Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, and maybe Ultramarines) or you see none at all. Likewise one Vindicare is a gimmick choice for any Imperial army. But more than one is where things start to get interesting, particularly if you put them both...or all three...in cover with overlapping fields of fire where one charge can't neutralize them all but they can all hit the same target. That's a bit pricey for a 1000pt game, though, but if you're in an escalating campaign you might want to consider increasing your assassin count as your points go up.

I'm still curious, so keep on letting us know what's happening in your campaign!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Unfortunately it's already Saturday, so this advice is probably useless, but the best unit for Necrons point for point is probably regular Destroyers. Get as many as you can, and keep 'em buffed with as many characters as you can. Use Extermination Protocols every turn until your CP runs out.

Kitchner posted:

How are they doing that?

JBP posted:

Ultramarines.

Yeah, Ultras in Tactical count as stationary (as long as they don't Fall Back or Advance), which is an important distinction compared to the Iron Hands who get "ignore the -1 for moving heavy weapons while in Devastator." The Ultramarine version lets them take advantage of all kinds of stuff while in Tactical. Aggressors always double fire, all their Bolter Discipline guns, particularly the Intercessors with Bolt Rifles, get to double fire out to max range, and so on. It's not as brute force powerful as the Iron Hands version, but like the Ultramarines themselves it lends to more diverse tactics.

Gunder posted:

Marines are really good. What's more, Marines play very differently depending on what Chapter you pick. Iron Hands are typically filling the board with vehicle mounted heavy weapons, Ultramarines are more about a flexible infantry force, Imperial Fists want all the Heavy Bolters in the world, Salamanders can do impressive (if sometimes suicidal) things with Flamers and Meltas, White Scars want to get into melee fast which means Bikes or sometimes Assault/Vanguard guys, and Raven Guard want Snipers.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 10, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jng2058 posted:

Those Custodes Jetbikes are a real problem.

Hey, an excellent segue into my brief battle report! The Sisko and myself had another game and it turns out 48 BS2+ boltguns really mop up T3 infantry. Who knew, right?

Pregame deployment. We played "Cut Off The Head" out of CA2018, wherein we each needed to kill each others characters and use those characters to score an object in the middle of the map. This mission really limited the need/benefit of GSC deployment shenanigans so I figured we'd keep it simple and I deployed dead center to cut to the chase.

The Sisko managed to seize on me and quickly nuked the lone Hive Tyrant out of cover. Thankfully my decision to forgo the 2CP cover bonus was a good one, it failed its saves miserably anyway.

A close up of some shiny boys in the deployment zone. They would soon mostly melt away to horrific power of the Hive Mind. I managed to roll way more 3D results with Smite and Psychic Scream than I should have, quickly dealing most of the Custodes infantry.

My single Hive Tyrant (and one of the characters for the mission) harrasses the Onagers in the backline after slaughtering the Skitarii bubblewrap. This game of cat and also cat continued for quite some time until they were finally able to get a one-up on the monster and down it.

Custodes jetbikes appear from the teleportarium...

...and Acolytes are quickly reduced to paste.

The cultists appear out of ambush and prepare to make quick work of the Custodes and their friends. Things were looking grim for a while for the Imperium. The Kelemorph sniped out the walking Shield Captain and more Custodes fell to the Acolytes assault. The Patriarch was not quite so lucky. Although he got a perfectly fine charge off on his jetbike prey, he managed to spectacularly whiff his to-wound rolls and then the nervy bikers all made their 4++ saves and jabbed it to death with spears. :mad:

The Tyranid continued to chew through the backline, but those damned Custodes and their 4++s were unstoppable. Considering how many saves I made with the Tyrant I really couldn't complain, but sometimes there's just nothing you can do. It was at about this time I started whiffing all my 5+ Smite rolls too, which did not help as my army quickly started melting away.

At the end of Round five I was up one point, my Tyrant character having been the only living Cut Off The Head character remaining. We went to roll off to see if the game continued and it did, so the jetbikes and Onagers mopped up the final cultists for the game.

All in all it was a great time, if a little hectic as I had to keep my kiddos in check. Hopefully we can have a rematch soon enough.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Playing against marines right now is like listening to a 6 year old tell a story.

I get THIS special rule and THIS special rule and THIS aura ability that stacks with THAT stratagem and I can Reroll everything and shoot twice and get extra attacks and and and and

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LibCrusher posted:

Playing against marines right now is like listening to a 6 year old tell a story.

I get THIS special rule and THIS special rule and THIS aura ability that stacks with THAT stratagem and I can Reroll everything and shoot twice and get extra attacks and and and and

Better get used to it. I can't imagine they'll have less rules as they gradually re-do all the codexes....

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
In some ways it feels over the top, but it makes going back to the old armies so boring in comparison regardless of how effective they are. Thematic stratagems and special rules do a lot to make each of the supplements genuinely feel like separate armies. When you look at early armies like Nids, the difference between any of the sub factions are way more limited in overall gameplay, it's one is a bit better at this or that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jng2058 posted:

Better get used to it. I can't imagine they'll have less rules as they gradually re-do all the codexes....

We already saw that with PA1.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

That head sorta looks like a last second addition. It looks weirdly out of place for some weird reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

R0ckfish posted:

In some ways it feels over the top, but it makes going back to the old armies so boring in comparison regardless of how effective they are. Thematic stratagems and special rules do a lot to make each of the supplements genuinely feel like separate armies. When you look at early armies like Nids, the difference between any of the sub factions are way more limited in overall gameplay, it's one is a bit better at this or that.

I'm working on an article for Tyranids, and the disparity with Marines is pretty incredible. For example you can have one hive fleet with a 6+ FNP near characters, or another with a re-roll 1 bonus if you're stationary. Iron Hands get both, plus a 5+ overwatch, plus a -1 AP on their best guns, and their heavy weapons move without penalty.

It's pretty insane. I could see them doing some kind of chapter tactic thing for splinters of hive fleets to boost the power level in PA3 but I have no idea.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm working on an article for Tyranids, and the disparity with Marines is pretty incredible. For example you can have one hive fleet with a 6+ FNP near characters, or another with a re-roll 1 bonus if you're stationary. Iron Hands get both, plus a 5+ overwatch, plus a -1 AP on their best guns, and their heavy weapons move without penalty.

It's pretty insane. I could see them doing some kind of chapter tactic thing for splinters of hive fleets to boost the power level in PA3 but I have no idea.

I am wondering if they might pull a general's handbook at some point in either chapter approved or something else and revise the chapter tactics for the fixed sub factions.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

That head sorta looks like a last second addition. It looks weirdly out of place for some weird reason.

The SoS model also looks like it's leaning too far back.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Of course they announce this right after I finally get back to working on my 40k Custodes/Sos army.

It'd be great if Aleya were an HQ and you could run a normal Vanguard detachment for SoS.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We already saw that with PA1.

Yeah, but gently caress elves

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Valerian looks like a halfling wearing Custodes armour, the proportions are kinda weird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/battle-sisters-yes-really-and-more/

It's finally happening. They're almost here, only six days to go.
Also teeny tiny PA2 preview as well.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/battle-sisters-yes-really-and-more/

It's finally happening. They're almost here, only six days to go.
Also teeny tiny PA2 preview as well.

So, I did some digging through all the sisters previews and squinted hard at the leaked sprues and I couldn't find a single example of a melta weapon. Pretty much every other weapon type has been showcased but they're conspicuously absent. That's got me a little bit paranoid now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

So, I did some digging through all the sisters previews and squinted hard at the leaked sprues and I couldn't find a single example of a melta weapon. Pretty much every other weapon type has been showcased but they're conspicuously absent. That's got me a little bit paranoid now.
I wouldn't worry about it. The initial box release is going to be a bunch of monopose models similar to Shadowspear. They won't have options, but full kits will come later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks like neither of the BT characters listed are Primaris.

Primaris EC maybe?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
OK need some advice from you guys as I was supposed to have played a friendly 750 point game with a friend to encourage him that kill team isn't the only game worth playing, and he conceded turn 2 because i killed half his points cost and I had only lost 3 guardsmen.

I guess I'm concerned that

a) I may have taken a crazy minmax power list when he only has what he has; and

b) What do you reckon I can do to play him again and it be a better experience for him?

In terms of lists mine was: Cadian AM. Creed, demolisher tank commander, leman russ tank commander, four infantry squads (two sniper rifles because I had the points), a hellhound, mortar heavy weapon squad, autocannon heavy weapon squad.

His list was: Bro'kan Sept. Ethereal, Cadre Fireblade, three squads of 5 fire warriors, 3 stealth suits (1 fusion blaster, all 4++), 3 crisis suits (6 fusion blasters, all 4++), 5 pathfinders, a broadside battlesuit. He then had like 5 gun drones with the crisis suits, and a Recon drone and 3 Markerlight drones with the pathfinders.

That is basically all he owns, barring 5 extra fire warriors and 10 kroot, which basically I told him to take instead of the drones, and I also suggested cyclonic ion blasters and flamers instead of so many fusion guns on the crisis suits.

Now I know my list is better, but I didn't think it was like turn 1 win better. I was seriously concerned about all these fusion blasters getting close to my tanks, plus the broadside being able to sit at the back on his tall scenery and do damage from there.

The playing area was 4x4 which is what the BRB recommended, he got to pick the deployment zone (it was a diagonal line with 24" no man's land in the middle) and finished deploying first so got to pick first turn, this is what it looked like:

You can make out my army pretty well on the left, basically heavy weapons teams at the back, flanked by the russes, a line of guardsmen and a hellhound in the middle.

He deployed all his fire warriors and HQs in a building at the back, the pathfinders (he borrowed my veterans) on the right in the middle, and just behind the crates you can see on the right are where his stealth suits are hiding. The crisis suits were in reserve.

Basically what happens next is a mixture of some bad decisions but some awful rolling.

Basically what happens next is a mixture of some bad decisions but some awful rolling. He moves the stealth suits onto an objective (he had to hold it for two consecutive turns and he would have scored 3 VP) with some drones from the pathfinders to act as ablative wounds.

He then lands his crisis suits 9" away from my right most infantry squad. Everyone else sits still.

In the shooting phase he puts 4 Markerlights onto the demolisher and shoots all 6 fusion blasters into the demolisher but it's from like 15" away and he only does 4 wounds. The broadside fluffs its rolls, and the stealth suits aren't close enough to use the fusion blaster they have. The FWs can only shoot a couple of guys at my infantry squad due to range. The gun drones kill three guys from my infantry squad due to insane saves (I passed like 5/7 5+ saves) and the FWs kill one, so that's three dead guardsmen and 4 wounds on a Demolisher.

In my turn I advance my infantry squads, move the hellhound so it's within 16" of the pathfinders and stealth suits. Move the demolisher and leman russ forward 5". The heavy weapons squads and one infantry squad stay in the building.

What I then proceed to do is roll more lucky than I think I've ever seen myself roll in a 40k game. The demolisher kills all 5 drones with the crisis suits and wounds one of the crisis suits. The 8 guardsmen next to them FRFSRF 24 lasgun shots and do 3 wounds, killing one and seriously injuring the other. The Hellhound manages to kill two stealthsuits, which are finished off by the leman russ and the mortars. The 8 Guardsmen charge at the crisis suits, which miss all four overwatch shots, and I poo poo you not they had their 9 attacks, did four wounds, and then my friend failed all four of his 3+ saves, meaning they just got bayonetted to death

Now I genuinely think he made a couple of big mistakes in terms of going first and deploying aggressively instead of trying to lure me forward, but I also think he got unlucky as poo poo with some of these rolls.

There are some minor things I'd have done differently but broadly speaking I think it's a combination of bad luck, bad deployment, and choosing to go first that resulted in such a hard loss.

Does that seem about right to you guys? Or do you think my list is so much better/cheese than his this was always going to happen?

As for what I can do next time, any ideas? Should we play smaller games of 500 points? Encourage him to play a bigger game (he could take some of my sisters/grey Knights as allies or proxies)? Should I offer to play again but use his list against mine to show it didn't need to go that way? Should I take a less-good list? If so what do you reckon because his list can't change much?

I just really want to play 40k with my friend but I'm worried this has put him off.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

OK need some advice from you guys as I was supposed to have played a friendly 750 point game with a friend to encourage him that kill team isn't the only game worth playing, and he conceded turn 2 because i killed half his points cost and I had only lost 3 guardsmen.

I guess I'm concerned that

a) I may have taken a crazy minmax power list when he only has what he has; and

b) What do you reckon I can do to play him again and it be a better experience for him?

In terms of lists mine was: Cadian AM. Creed, demolisher tank commander, leman russ tank commander, four infantry squads (two sniper rifles because I had the points), a hellhound, mortar heavy weapon squad, autocannon heavy weapon squad.

His list was: Bro'kan Sept. Ethereal, Cadre Fireblade, three squads of 5 fire warriors, 3 stealth suits (1 fusion blaster, all 4++), 3 crisis suits (6 fusion blasters, all 4++), 5 pathfinders, a broadside battlesuit. He then had like 5 gun drones with the crisis suits, and a Recon drone and 3 Markerlight drones with the pathfinders.

That is basically all he owns, barring 5 extra fire warriors and 10 kroot, which basically I told him to take instead of the drones, and I also suggested cyclonic ion blasters and flamers instead of so many fusion guns on the crisis suits.

Now I know my list is better, but I didn't think it was like turn 1 win better. I was seriously concerned about all these fusion blasters getting close to my tanks, plus the broadside being able to sit at the back on his tall scenery and do damage from there.

The playing area was 4x4 which is what the BRB recommended, he got to pick the deployment zone (it was a diagonal line with 24" no man's land in the middle) and finished deploying first so got to pick first turn, this is what it looked like:

You can make out my army pretty well on the left, basically heavy weapons teams at the back, flanked by the russes, a line of guardsmen and a hellhound in the middle.

He deployed all his fire warriors and HQs in a building at the back, the pathfinders (he borrowed my veterans) on the right in the middle, and just behind the crates you can see on the right are where his stealth suits are hiding. The crisis suits were in reserve.

Basically what happens next is a mixture of some bad decisions but some awful rolling.

Now I genuinely think he made a couple of big mistakes in terms of going first and deploying aggressively instead of trying to lure me forward, but I also think he got unlucky as poo poo with some of these rolls.

There are some minor things I'd have done differently but broadly speaking I think it's a combination of bad luck, bad deployment, and choosing to go first that resulted in such a hard loss.

Does that seem about right to you guys? Or do you think my list is so much better/cheese than his this was always going to happen?

As for what I can do next time, any ideas? Should we play smaller games of 500 points? Encourage him to play a bigger game (he could take some of my sisters/grey Knights as allies or proxies)? Should I offer to play again but use his list against mine to show it didn't need to go that way? Should I take a less-good list? If so what do you reckon because his list can't change much?

I just really want to play 40k with my friend but I'm worried this has put him off.

Crisis suits are hot garbage, and taking 3 tanks at 750 is going to be tought to beat - particularly when battle cannons and demolisher cannons are great at killing stealth/crisis suits